Menu

Are ski goggles necessary or will sunglasses suffice?

Mom0012

I'm not sure if goggles will fit over glasses (it's been years since I've skied), but sunglasses are fine unless it will be snowing while he skis. I used my goggles when it was really cold or if it was snowing; all other times, I usually wore my sunglasses. Hope he has fun!

I would highly recommend ski goggles. If it's very cold, they keep the face warmer; if it's windy, it keeps the blowing snow out; if they are making snow while you are skiing, you can SEE. Also if it's prescription glasses he's wearing, then goggles over his glasses will prevent loss and breakage of those glasses. Yes, they have goggles that go over glasses.

Yes, they fit over glasses (more or less).

Ski goggles are better because they keep your face much warmer, but if it's first time skiing he probably won't be going very fast. I have skiied without goggles and it's okay. My ds started off without goggles and still enjoyed skiing. He didn't even have sunglasses.

I hope it's warmer where you are. My ds was supposed to go skiing tomorrow but it was cancelled due to very cold weather.

I would definitely recommend goggles. For me, it's not so much the cold, but the wind. When the wind whips past your glasses into your eyes, it can not only be extremely uncomfortable, but painful. The few times I skied with just sunglasses, my eyes ended up watering much of the day and made things a lot less enjoyable. So I only ski with goggles now.

Guess that could vary based on where you're skiing. Up here in the Rockies, it can get extremely windy.

I wear glasses and always ski with goggles. It keeps the wind out of your eyes and if he should fall - he's going to lose his glasses possibly and definetly his clip-on sunglasses. Unless he's in desperate need of his glasses to see I'd have him just wear the goggles. I'd also insist on a helmet which fit great with goggles.

what's the weather going to be like?

if it's icky, snowing/raining, I wore goggles.

If it's sunny - I wore sunglasses.

and if it was overcast - sometimes I didn't wear anything (as I never raced down a mt at 60mph either)

if this is his first time - he won't be racing down any runs at speeds where the wind will adversely affect his eyes.

I would suggest an elastic strap to help keep the glasses on - that way when he falls (and newbie skiers fall), he will keep his glasses with him.

Thanks for the info! It will be cold (24 degrees), but not very windy. I think I'll check out the local thrift shop or try to borrow a pair. If I can't find any that way, I'll just have him see how he does with the sunglasses and then he can buy some at the ski shop if he has to.

Both my kids, (one on black diamond and the other one starts this year) wear googles. It gets windy even it is not on the top of the mountain, so goggle keep their face warm. Also, the mountain we go makes snow every chance they can and you will really want a goggle when you ski through those snow making areas.

I prefer goggles. If it might be his only time, maybe you can borrow some. They keep the wind from blowing across your eyes. Plus staying warmer. We haven't skied in a long time and don't tend to spend money on frivolous things and we felt goggles were worth it.