Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Atheists, agnostics, free-thinkers, non-believers

Guest inoubliable

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KK, people never cease to amaze me! I've homeschooled when we had no job at all! And my kids thrive regardless of the curriculum; you just have to be creative. Besides that, how did she know you don't have money? People with lots of money still budget. Ugh. I'm angry for you.

Glad your ds found some books he liked. I have a son the same age, and a 10 year old boy. I'd be happy to send you some of our favorite titles, if you're looking for stuff. Ds and I read lots of the same novels and we're on a dystopian kick right now. :)

KK- that woman is a bigoted idiot. I watch my pennies closely, more closely now that I don't work FT at an office. My husband doesn't make a lot since he is also in school but we do eat and save and aren't homeless. But even when we were double income, I still had a budget and watched my pennies. Prudence is not a sign of poverty. When my husband graduates, his income will exceed our previous double income and I will STILL watch my darn pennies. Whoever thinks homeschooling is only for the affluent is fooling themselves into thinking that expensive books = good education. Reading these boards and talking to other homeschooling families makes it clear that not an insignificant number of well intentioned people buy all the pricey books but never execute the plan. My son is learning even if the book came from the library or I wrote the problem set myself.

What's everyone doing today?

If I ever get off my butt, I plan to do some cleaning. Maybe make a menu for the week. Set up school work for the week. Decide which food to introduce to ds. I have to make new data sheets for tracking ds.

I got the word that we can move out of the county in July, so I'm also heavily prepping dd's disability case (no win, no move).

Ds had blood work and is, once again, vit D deficient. I ordered vitamins from amazon yesterday and they should be here by the end of the week.

Need more coffee...

Guest inoubliable

Thanks, everyone. It was a very strange and mean conversation to have to listen in to.

No plans this weekend, other than to clean I think. We were out of the house all day yesterday it seems like. It only takes 45 mins or so to clean the entire place so after that I have no idea. Maybe get some reading done.

I definitely need more coffee, too.

No kidding about coffee. I've been enjoying the lighter mornings, and now not only did I lose a precious hour's sleep, but I had to walk the dog in the dark. Grrrr.

My day is wide open.

I need to take pictures and throw some curriculum on a few sale boards.

Finish the laundry and get school lined out for this coming week.

I think that's about it.

I think I'll start a stew for dinner.

And I've just been informed that we're going to the indoor swap meet. So there is that..... :)

Guest inoubliable

I need to sell some curriculum, too, now that you mention it. Ugh. I've tried listing here and got nothing. I joined the FB group but I didn't see much listed that was similar to what I have so I don't know how successful that will be. Someone else mentioned a homeschoolclassifieds.com but I've not tried it yet. Where else do you go? *sigh* I hate trying to sell this stuff. Maybe we should just have a virtual swap meet on this thread instead.

I sell it at the two places you've mentioned. When did you try here before? It depends on the season. When people start gettting their tax returns is when they strart buying curriculum here. I've sold 4 sets/books this month.

I've had success with ebay too. But ebay is a PITA. I avoid it, if at all possible.

I'm going to post on my local homeschool board, too. We have freethinkers group here in town, but most unschool so I don't know how successful that will be.

I don't want to try another website. I'm grumpy about selling it, mostly because of the stupid media mail debacle from earlier in the week.

Guest inoubliable

It was last month. It was only the one try. I don't have PayPal and so that might have been a discouragement for some. I'd rather get an Amazon gift card in my email as payment. Ugh. I should just try again. I need to take pictures. Maybe that'll help.

ETA: That media mail thing irritated me on your behalf. Our post office here requires that all media mail packages be open so they can inspect and tape it themselves, but I'd not had them get stupid over a NOTE included. Wow.

I've got tons of stuff to sell, but I'm a procrastinator when it comes to anything involved with the post office and would probably only end up with people spitting mad at me for late delivery of goods. Why can't I just live on a street with lots of hs'ing neighbors, all with kids just a bit younger than mine?

I get tired of trying to sell homeschool items too. Since we don't use boxed curriculum I always have a mish-mash of stuff. It seems like most people want all-in-one and that makes it hard to sell what I have.

We're going to MIL & FIL's soon. BIL is here from Texas for his class reunion. His adult daughter is also here with her dh and kids. Another niece (different BIL) and her son and "new friend" (her parents' words, not mine) will come from across the state. Once we go there, I expect we'll be there most of the day.

It's a good thing I like dh's family. :D

Wow, KK. How incredibly... I don't even know. Doesn't even makes sense. I mean, I'm trying to rlow their train of logic to see where the derailment occurred but... Looks like it fell off the track still in the station.

It was last month. It was only the one try. I don't have PayPal and so that might have been a discouragement for some. I'd rather get an Amazon gift card in my email as payment. Ugh. I should just try again. I need to take pictures. Maybe that'll help.

ETA: That media mail thing irritated me on your behalf. Our post office here requires that all media mail packages be open so they can inspect and tape it themselves, but I'd not had them get stupid over a NOTE included. Wow.

Hint: sell via Amazon marketplace. Then you pretty much do get an Amazon gift card. (Or you can have them transfer to your bank account.)

And Amazon pre-sets the shipping, so there's no question as to whether something is media mail or not.

sunday is laundry day and work on curriculum planning day. i tend to plan out each subject for about 2 weeks and then work on another subject. History I have to read ahead in the books and coordinate things and decide when to bring in library books or videos; intellego world religions i break it out in to daily chunks; chemistry i have to coordinate readings and problems and find videos on youtube to go with it; and i need to start pre-reading the science i want to do with Orion next, so i'm ready for the transition.

missed most of the day - had showered and hung out in bed and was about to get up when the bear finally awoke and dragged me back down. sigh.

What's everyone doing today?

Missing my hour of sleep due to daylight saving.

Having a rare spat with my husband. Ugh.

I made pizza dough to use leftover BBQ chicken for BBQ chicken pizza with peppers and caramelized onions.

Figuring out where to buy unrendered leaf lard.

Also, I am making apple chutney as soon as I am done with this little break.

If I can find someone to watch the kids, my husband and I need some time alone to finish the discussion-slash-spat and maybe a mini date afterwards. Come on babysitting luck...

I did our staff workout this morning before we opened, met with a personal training client, got both sunburned and wind chapped at lacrosse practice (for anyone counting along, yes, that is 7 days on the field), smoked up the house getting the woodstoves restarted (still cold at night) and am now trying to tackle Mount Laundry.

My husband is at work. Sunday schedule. Nothing but light housework and the potential call (I do t think they've left the building except to get food). I would be jealous, but he spent about 8 hours on the fields yesterday, between lining and practice, and then had to get up at what used to be 3am to get a run in before he went on duty.

Now I'll start supper because it's (WTH?) almost 7!!

Well DH is gone :crying:. This weekend went by way too fast. The kids and I were blubbering at the airport, my youngest keeps asking when daddy will be back. Now we're all in a funk.

We met with the realtor this weekend and she didn't have encouraging news. She said she would be shocked if the house sells by the end of the summer! I need to get my butt in gear and start packing, cleaning and repairing so we can get it listed asap.

Guest inoubliable

Well DH is gone :crying:. This weekend went by way too fast. The kids and I were blubbering at the airport, my youngest keeps asking when daddy will be back. Now we're all in a funk.

We met with the realtor this weekend and she didn't have encouraging news. She said she would be shocked if the house sells by the end of the summer! I need to get my butt in gear and start packing, cleaning and repairing so we can get it listed asap.

I'm so glad you got to have a weekend with your DH. I wish there was more encouraging news on the house, though. :grouphug:

I'm so glad you got to have a weekend with your DH. I wish there was more encouraging news on the house, though. :grouphug:

Thanks. I suspected the house would take a while to sell but was optimistic. She sucked all that out in a quick conversation. We have a friend who had his house on the market for 6 months she said he didn't have any showings at all. No matter what I'm moving this summer but we had hoped to get some money out of the house to help with the move. And I really don't want to foreclose but I refuse to be stuck here for another year.

Thanks. I suspected the house would take a while to sell but was optimistic. She sucked all that out in a quick conversation. We have a friend who had his house on the market for 6 months she said he didn't have any showings at all. No matter what I'm moving this summer but we had hoped to get some money out of the house to help with the move. And I really don't want to foreclose but I refuse to be stuck here for another year.

I truly admire your family's strength! Hang in there. Sending good house selling vibes your way!

Find another realtor? I mean, I wouldn't think someone who is so pessimistic about selling your house would be that great a salesperson FOR your house, kwim?

I'm sorry about the funk. My husband works a 24 hour shift, every fourth day, and I miss him like crazy. I just can't imagine. :grouphug:

I have moved a lot in my adult life and I have found that it is a matter of the right person viewing your house. In 2010, the worst time to be selling a house in Charlotte, we sold our house in 41 days. She even closed 10 days early. Several house in the neighborhood had been on the market for over 1 year and were still on the market when we closed.

A realtor is just giving you an average. Showing a house is like going on a blind date, it is the luck of the draw.

Melissa

Have any of you used Rainbow Science? I am using it with my 5th grader and we like it so far. I just skim the chapters ahead of time and blot out the religious stuff with a permanent marker. I briefly looked ahead at what is coming up and it looks like we will have to avoid whole chapters when we get to Biology. Is it doable and worth it? If not, can you all recommend something else for biology? Science has been the hardest subject to do secularly by far. Ugh!

Have any of you used Rainbow Science? I am using it with my 5th grader and we like it so far. I just skim the chapters ahead of time and blot out the religious stuff with a permanent marker. I briefly looked ahead at what is coming up and it looks like we will have to avoid whole chapters when we get to Biology. Is it doable and worth it? If not, can you all recommend something else for biology? Science has been the hardest subject to do secularly by far. Ugh!

I hate doing that. I hate defacing books. I too, blotted out stuff from our Physics text last year and vowed to never buy a relgious curriculum again.

I'm using ck12.org. right now and it's okay. It would be great if you're science minded. I'm not, so it's a struggle.

The ladies here have recommended Galore Park for middle school next year. I'm actually going to do level 1 with my rising 5th grader and level 2 with my rising 8th grader. My oldest is going to be doing online school for 9-10 then heading to community college as a dual enrollment mostly because of the science and math. I'm not strong enough to teach them. I go into a cold sweat at the thought. LOL

I sympathize with you. Secular science is hard to come by.

It is hard finding good material, isn't it? I'm using Biology for the Logic Stage. The drawback to this is that it requires several other science books to use as textbooks, and it helps to have a microscope.

I'm one of those misguided poor mom's who shouldn't be home schooling my children since I can't afford it.* Thankfully, my best friend has always been a reliable resource for most of the things I need. She is the one who talked me into home schooling. I suppose she feels obligated. :laugh:

*See KKinVA post above.

This cracks me up in the weirdest way. My DH has some cousins who grew up in a religion where their parents would black out words in their Little Golden Books like "sugar" and anything else they deemed against their super-strict beliefs. It makes me laugh to hear the complete opposite.

And I still find it oddest of all that SCIENCE is the hardest subject to find secular. What is up with that?! Grrrr...

You can never just have one tattoo! LOL.

I just have one. No plans for another.

These are Primal/Paleoish. :)

http://thecafewellne...ot-pie-muffins/

I can't wait to try them!

These look great. Perfect for make ahead lunch.

We are back from camping. Now, I wish the maid would hurry and put away all the camping stuff and do the camp laundry. Oh, wait. I'm the maid.

I'm making venison tonight for the first time ever. I have venison cube steak. What do I do with it?

This might date me: Swiss Steak. :D

what is swiss steak? I'll have to look that up.

Here's Alton Brown's recipe. There are a ton of recipes out there though. Most use some kind of canned tomatoes, but some don't. There are crock pot versions too.

Oh, and Alton doesn't use cubed steaks, but that's what I always knew to be used for Swiss Steak. Since your venison is already cubed, you can skip his whole scoring and tenderizing instructions.

Here's Alton Brown's recipe. There are a ton of recipes out there though. Most use some kind of canned tomatoes, but some don't. There are crock pot versions too.

Oh, and Alton doesn't use cubed steaks, but that's what I always knew to be used for Swiss Steak. Since your venison is already cubed, you can skip his whole scoring and tenderizing instructions.

Thanks! I actually have the ingredients too. I also found a recipe for blue cheese topped cube steak. I think I'll combine the two recipes and serve it with sweet potatoes and kale.

And I still find it oddest of all that SCIENCE is the hardest subject to find secular. What is up with that?! Grrrr...

I agree. Science IS secular. If it's not, it's not science. Sorry. If you're religious, that doesn't mean you have to discount science. I've heard many a Christian's defense of both religion AND science. It can be done; one doesn't have to cancel out the other. So I don't understand why the vast majority of the science curriculi available to homeschoolers is so, well, not very science-oriented at all.

KK, those people and their comments about money are just stupid. Last time I checked, people didn't accumulate wealth by spending all their money. Budgeting is common sense no matter your income bracket. And how does having money makes makes one a good parent or homeschooler??...ugh. Yeah, just stupid.

Thanks! I actually have the ingredients too. I also found a recipe for blue cheese topped cube steak. I think I'll combine the two recipes and serve it with sweet potatoes and kale.

Mmmm! Now I want kale chips. It's the only way I actually like kale, I'm also the only one in this house who will eat it, regardless of how it's prepared.

Blue cheese topped cubed steak sounds yummy too.