Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Atheists, agnostics, free-thinkers, non-believers

Guest inoubliable

I was stuck in rural Aberdeenshire one summer during the Ashes and I ended up watching a lot of cricket, learned quite a bit, but I agree with my dad, any sport that takes several days to play and you stop for tea and cucumber sandwiches gets a thumb down from me.

I played lacross the year I was an exchange student in the US, I loved it and was so disappointed that there wasn't a team in my Swedish town so I could continue playing.

Here we play "One Day" Cricket and—believe you me—the food at the Cricket Teas is some of the best eating one can find in Los Angeles. No cucumber sandwiches here. The Teams tend to be somewhat organized along ethnic lines, and the host teams compete to put n the best spreads. That means out of control good eats from West Indian, Indian, Bangaladeshi, and Pakistani teams. And the South Africans and Austalians are right in there too. OK, the British ex-pat "social league" teams might let one down, but you just have to know which teams to "support."

Bill (who enjoys the Teas as much as the matches :D)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread moves way too fast.

Doesn't it though?

I don't know anything about either cricket or lacrosse.

I've never had a prayer pm even though my signature states I'm an atheist and contains a quote from a most hated atheist. I have had someone IRL tell me she'd pray for me but that was back in 2004 when I said I wasn't voting for her god's chosen candidate. Funny thing is, I still considered myself a Christian back then.

Here we play "One Day" Cricket and—believe you me—the food at the Cricket Teas is some of the best eating one can find in Los Angeles. No cucumber sandwiches here. The Teams tend to be somewhat organized along ethnic lines, and the host teams compete to put n the best spreads. That means out of control good eats from West Indian, Indian, Bangaladeshi, and Pakistani teams. And the South Africans and Austalians are right in there too. OK, the British ex-pat "social league" teams might let one down, but you just have to know which teams to "support."

Bill (who enjoys the Teas as much as the matches :D)

Well THAT sounds like the kind of cricket I could get behind :w00t: My downstairs neighbours are from Thailand, I was speculating the other day if I could just ring their doorbell and invite myself to dinner, it smelled SOOOOOO good.

Also, you know me, I've never met a cup of tea I said no to :D

Zee (who has a bucket sized cup of tea next to her right as we speak)

Well THAT sounds like the kind of cricket I could get behind :w00t: My downstairs neighbours are from Thailand, I was speculating the other day if I could just ring their doorbell and invite myself to dinner, it smelled SOOOOOO good.

Also, you know me, I've never met a cup of tea I said no to :D

Zee (who has a bucket sized cup of tea next to her right as we speak)

I wonder how we could get the Thais to take up Cricket? :D

Bill

God=George Burns

Bill (dating self)

I see your George Burns and raise with a Graham Chapman.

God=George Burns

Bill (dating self)

Thanks for joining my insanity.

I see your George Burns and raise with a Graham Chapman.

No, Graham Chapman was Brian. Brian was NOT the messiah. He was a naughty, naughty boy!

Angela (who thinks Life of Brian may be her favorite movie of all time)

No, Graham Chapman was Brian. Brian was NOT the messiah. He was a naughty, naughty boy!

Yes, but he was the Voice of God in MP and the Holy Grail :D

Thanks for joining my insanity.

Well now "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life" will be stuck in my head :ph34r: :biggrinjester: :willy_nilly:

Everyone knows God is Morgan Freeman. I don't know what the rest of you are talking about.

I had two people "witness" to me over the Valentine list. Didn't take. :laugh:

I second Morgan Freeman for God. :D

i hate always doubting that i'm doing enough school with my boys. they are both pretty '2E' and i'm pretty low energy. We do SOMETHING on the major 4 subjects every day but i never feel its enough.

If it makes you feel any better, my kids are just completely regular and I'm pretty regular and I always feel like we're not doing enough. Same goes for my IRL friends. I think it's a voice implanted in our heads to drive us crazy.

If it makes you feel any better, my kids are just completely regular and I'm pretty regular and I always feel like we're not doing enough. Same goes for my IRL friends. I think it's a voice implanted in our heads to drive us crazy.

I second this! Even on days, weeks, months when we crank it all out easily, I still worry. There's just so darn much they have to know!!

So my mom and I always go see a summer theater show with my kids. It has become a tradition. It is a dinner theater so they serve you dinner and you watch the show, kind of expensive, fancy, etc. We've loved it in the past, the shows and food have always been great. Well, they just announced the new show for this year and it is Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat. I told her we don't want to go to it via email with no response yet. I know she will be hurt and upset about the tradition, and she is very religious and I'm sure will see nothing wrong with it. She took me to see it as a kid. I am so not looking forward to this discussion. I hate stuff like this. We otherwise get along great, but when something about religion comes up she just gets so upset (more like crying, sad we are going to hell, etc.). I can see where she is coming from since she truly believes this is what will happen to us, but it drives me crazy and makes me sad. Blah.

i hate always doubting that i'm doing enough school with my boys. they are both pretty '2E' and i'm pretty low energy. We do SOMETHING on the major 4 subjects every day but i never feel its enough.

Yeah, my kids are not gifted. Yet, I always have that feeling.

So my mom and I always go see a summer theater show with my kids. It has become a tradition. It is a dinner theater so they serve you dinner and you watch the show, kind of expensive, fancy, etc. We've loved it in the past, the shows and food have always been great. Well, they just announced the new show for this year and it is Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat. I told her we don't want to go to it via email with no response yet. I know she will be hurt and upset about the tradition, and she is very religious and I'm sure will see nothing wrong with it. She took me to see it as a kid. I am so not looking forward to this discussion. I hate stuff like this. We otherwise get along great, but when something about religion comes up she just gets so upset (more like crying, sad we are going to hell, etc.). I can see where she is coming from since she truly believes this is what will happen to us, but it drives me crazy and makes me sad. Blah.

I love that show! That coat is the greatest coat in history!

(Meaning I'm not sure this has to be about religion. I'd certainly understand having a blue over Jesus Christ Superstar, but this? This show is circus of colour and silliness.)

Rosie,

I don't get to pop in here too often, but I keep meaning to let you know that I think you may have made a convert out of me. I think I may go Pagan, or I may have always been one. I just didn't know it.

Maybe one day when I'm not wonky on the Allegra-D, we can have a chat about it.

(Meaning I'm not sure this has to be about religion. I'd certainly understand having a blue over Jesus Christ Superstar, but this? This show is circus of colour and silliness.)

I thought that, too, and I didn't remember much of it as a kid, so I watched it on youtube. I didn't love it. And I asked DH about it and he did remember it and he was like no absolutely not, so... yeah.

When I hear that little voice in my head, I am so lucky to have a dh that says, "Are you kidding? You rock!" I love that guy. But, I've started to learn to be my own cheerleader. He's not always around and he gets a little tired of my self doubt.

It's not a fair comparison, and I don't mean any disrespect whatsoever to those who have kids in public schools, but Nevada ranks 50 (out of 50) for schools. I am certain my kids are learning more at home. It might be different if we lived elsewhere, but we don't. Even if it's only how to make a mean banana bread or that Mom gets really stressed out by stupid poopy faces at the post office, but that she dealt with the very mean and grumpy man with politeness. Today, I can't guarantee they learned much else besides the politeness. That's enough for me. I wish grumpy man's momma had taught him some. And that calling a lady "dear" after ever sentence is condescending. Yeah, that would have been nice, too.

See my PSA thread for my post office rant. :)

yeah, sometimes i try to remember how far behind in basic skills my teen was when he came out of middle school having been in special ed . . . but then i start wondering about the future . .he turns 17 next month. sigh.

Well.... I'm packing up for 2 days away. I have a conference to attend for work. I have to drive to the big city very early. It's a 3 hour drive. My employer is putting me up in a hotel for tomorrow so, in a way, that's nice. I'm not really looking forward to it, though. These things are always stressful and put me behind by twice as much time as I'm away.

Ugh.

That is all.

Yes, this, totally.

Well.... I'm packing up for 2 days away. I have a conference to attend for work. I have to drive to the big city very early. It's a 3 hour drive. My employer is putting me up in a hotel for tomorrow so, in a way, that's nice. I'm not really looking forward to it, though. These things are always stressful and put me behind by twice as much time as I'm away.

Ugh.

That is all.

I would drive 3 hours for a night alone in a hotel. ;)

I hope your trip is safe and pleasant. :)

Rosie,

I don't get to pop in here too often, but I keep meaning to let you know that I think you may have made a convert out of me. I think I may go Pagan, or I may have always been one. I just didn't know it.

Maybe one day when I'm not wonky on the Allegra-D, we can have a chat about it.

Oh. Well that's new. Don't think I've ever converted anyone before so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say about it! :lol: I'm a very mundane pagan so I don't know that I can be of service, but if I can, by all means let me know. Though perhaps not on this thread. :p

Oh. Well that's new. Don't think I've ever converted anyone before so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say about it! :lol: I'm a very mundane pagan so I don't know that I can be of service, but if I can, by all means let me know. Though perhaps not on this thread. :p

Maybe not here. But I didn't want to dig up the old "Ask a Pagan" thread just to tell you how much it resonated with me. Don't worry about being mundane. I don't think one convert makes it a cult. :p

I've got to agree with Rosie. The religion in this is more about kinda making fun of it. And I cannot think about this show without getting a mental picture of pimp Kramer walking down the street in that coat during Seinfeld.

I called my DH a, "taskmaster" the other day and my DD just burst out laughing. She honked out, "What if Daddy was a WIGMASTER?!?!" and I just lost it because I knew exactly what she was referencing. DH stood there confused until I reminded him (HE'S our house Seinfeld nut!!!) and then we all decided the mental image of Daddy striding down the hospital halls in that coat, the white hat, and the cane was just too awesome.

Can you imagine if your doctor swung into your ICU cubicle in that get up??!? I think I'd just try to put myself in respiratory arrest right there.

My DH is kinda dry. He doesn't do silly so well. So the idea of him even being in the same room as that coat is really pretty funny.

And that calling a lady "dear" after ever sentence is condescending. Yeah, that would have been nice, too.

I do it right back at them. Or I just call them on it and point blank tell them it's disrespectful. Now, if it's a nice person and is not meaning anything but niceness that is fine. I'm flattered and warmed by endearments. But those other times.....nope don't put up with it.

I once had a man on the phone ask me, "Sweetie, is your husband home so I can talk to him about the dish washer?" Yeah, that conversation did not end well for him. He also did not get my business.

I have lots of these types of stories....

I went into a deli with dh's 2 sisters. It was a *kid* behind the counter. Literally, he was wearing his high school class ring and he had not graduated yet. He says to the three of us GROWN women (I was 30), "What would you girls like?" Um, I'm sorry. When did it become okay for a HIGH SCHOOL kid to address grown women as "girls"? I let him know in no uncertain terms that he was being very disrespectful and told him the proper way to address me was "mam."

I did the same thing with dh's uncle and bil. We were trying to assemble the whole extended family for a picture. The two of them kept saying "you girls" over and over. I finally said, "Okay, and now all the boys over here." It was amazing how they bristled. The uncle (don't like him anyway) said, "Um, men are not referred to as boys." I sweetly replied, "Oh? I thought that's how you referred to people....you know as children because you've been calling the women "girls" this whole time. I suggest you stop being disrespectful to me if you expect the same treatment from me." Jerk.

I would NOT have done well living before the 70s.

Ugh.

That is all.

I have to pack too. We are going camping. I need to go to the store for our food.

I do it right back at them. Or I just call them on it and point blank tell them it's disrespectful. Now, if it's a nice person and is not meaning anything but niceness that is fine. I'm flattered and warmed by endearments. But those other times.....nope don't put up with it.

I once had a man on the phone ask me, "Sweetie, is your husband home so I can talk to him about the dish washer?" Yeah, that conversation did not end well for him. He also did not get my business.

I have lots of these types of stories....

I went into a deli with dh's 2 sisters. It was a *kid* behind the counter. Literally, he was wearing his high school class ring and he had not graduated yet. He says to the three of us GROWN women (I was 30), "What would you girls like?" Um, I'm sorry. When did it become okay for a HIGH SCHOOL kid to address grown women as "girls"? I let him know in no uncertain terms that he was being very disrespectful and told him the proper way to address me was "mam."

I did the same thing with dh's uncle and bil. We were trying to assemble the whole extended family for a picture. The two of them kept saying "you girls" over and over. I finally said, "Okay, and now all the boys over here." It was amazing how they bristled. The uncle (don't like him anyway) said, "Um, men are not referred to as boys." I sweetly replied, "Oh? I thought that's how you referred to people....you know as children because you've been calling the women "girls" this whole time. I suggest you stop being disrespectful to me if you expect the same treatment from me." Jerk.

I would NOT have done well living before the 70s.

I have to pack too. We are going camping. I need to go to the store for our food.

I was really trying not to lose it in front of my boys. As it was they were very quiet on the ride home. I told they, "Boys, if I ever hear you speak condescendingly to a woman, like that man did to me, there'll be hell to pay." they both said I handled myself really well. They have seen it when I haven't so it made me feel good. :)

Doing it over again. I would have ended every sentence with Honey. See how he liked it.

I'm torn though. My kids are already very sarcastic because at's the way dh and I are. I wanted them to see me handle it without sarcasm. OTH, they kinda watched someone walk all over me and I didn't stand up for myself. Ugh. Glad that's over!

Telling someone that they are being disrespectful and to stop is not losing it. Losing it would be screaming and cursing at the top of your lungs.

I do try. It's something I struggle with. I'm a red-head with a temper match. I'm also Scottish/Irish- not known for their calm conflict resolution. And, if you follow astrology, I'm a gemini. Also mercurial. I'm screwed. LOL I've gotten better over the years, but when I start seeing red spots in front of my eyes, I find it better to shut it. That's easier. :)

I agree with you. So, I guess I'll call it a partial success because I succeeded in not yelling. I'll work on the other part next time. I think of a million things to say/do on the car ride home. Every time. :)

Guest inoubliable

What. the. what?

And, I've never seen a BJU textbook in person because I've heard enough to never want to. Those little blurbs in the article? Are they for real?? If so, those textbooks are worse than I imagined. Frightening. Truly frightening.

Found this little gem of an article today.

New Louisiana text books will be teaching that hippies were satan worshippers. LOL

http://news.yahoo.co...-201334876.html

Who knew?!

I particularly like this quote:

"[The Ku Klux] Klan in some areas of the country tried to be a means of reform, fighting the decline in morality and using the symbol of the cross. Klan targets were bootleggers, wife-beaters, and immoral movies. In some communities it achieved a certain respectability as it worked with politicians."—United States History for Christian Schools, 3rd ed., Bob Jones University Press, 2001

So, apparently hippies were evil, immoral Satan worshippers, while the KKK were good Christians trying to uphold moral values. Got it.

Jackie

Guest inoubliable

I particularly like this quote:

So, apparently hippies were evil, immoral Satan worshippers, while the KKK were good Christians trying to uphold moral values. Got it.

Jackie

Mind blowing, isn't it?? How does anyone say that with a straight face? How does someone teach that to their children as fact???

On a tangent to our current discussion of historically illiterate bs, check this out:

“We have decided to prepare the body of our ‘Comandante President,’ to embalm it so that it remains open for all time for the people. Just like Ho Chi Minh. Just like Lenin. Just like Mao Zedong,†Maduro said.

Wow! There are times when I honestly think that Venezuela is an elaborate Monty Python skit. I need to rant about this, but really what can you say?

What. the. what?

And, I've never seen a BJU textbook in person because I've heard enough to never want to. Those little blurbs in the article? Are they for real?? If so, those textbooks are worse than I imagined. Frightening. Truly frightening.

I've never seen one up close either and refuse to give these people my hard-earned moola. But, I have seen pictures, actual pictures of the pages. This isn't the first time I've seen the KKK reference. There was an article awhile ago that listed 14 such "historical facts" found in textbooks, particularly BJU.

The one that sticks with me the most, besides the slave and KKK thing, is that electricity is MAGIC, "we don't really know how it works." Um..... Yes we do. It's called science. My good friend who is an electrical engineer almost popped a vein when I told her that one. She exclaimed, loud and proud, "Cool! I've always wanted to be Hermoine!" And that's why we're such good friends.

Guest inoubliable

The one that sticks with me the most, besides the slave and KKK thing, is that electricity is MAGIC, "we don't really know how it works." Um..... Yes we do. It's called science.

Ha! Now that you mention it, I think I did see that one a while back. I woke up cranky. I need to go google some images to laugh at.

Uh. Unless they'd be so outrageous that I'll actually feel WORSE that children are actually being taught that shit.

*sigh*

Blech.

Guest inoubliable

I've never seen a BJU book but I've seen an Abeka US history book. Blech.

It seems I have to subscribe to this thread again. Every time I respond I have to sub again.

I've not seen Abeka, either. That bad, eh? One of these days, I'm going to have to find a used copy and look through it. Just to see it.

Some of the religious textbooks really make me worry, to be honest. What are those kids going to grow up to be?? If you think about it, I mean *really* think about it - their education based on their religion is going to be a serious handicap for some of them. I guess they could do faith-based healing? Start and head up their own congregations? If I were hiring someone, I would find it hard to take seriously a candidate who graduated from BJU or Liberty. Which sounds intolerant, I know, but I'm thinking in terms of wanting an employee or subordinate that understood accepted science and technology, not someone who will pray over the copier when it doesn't work, kwim? So if they can't find a job because they couldn't cut it in college or because employers can't use them - what do they do?

And, aye. I gave up subscribing. It's broken.

I've not seen Abeka, either. That bad, eh? One of these days, I'm going to have to find a used copy and look through it. Just to see it.

Some of the religious textbooks really make me worry, to be honest. What are those kids going to grow up to be?? If you think about it, I mean *really* think about it - their education based on their religion is going to be a serious handicap for some of them. I guess they could do faith-based healing? Start and head up their own congregations? If I were hiring someone, I would find it hard to take seriously a candidate who graduated from BJU or Liberty. Which sounds intolerant, I know, but I'm thinking in terms of wanting an employee or subordinate that understood accepted science and technology, not someone who will pray over the copier when it doesn't work, kwim? So if they can't find a job because they couldn't cut it in college or because employers can't use them - what do they do?

And, aye. I gave up subscribing. It's broken.

A friend of mine was hiring an assistant, someone for her small office. One of the candidates she interviewed had gone to BJU. She said he was a perfectly nice guy but she couldn't hire him because she just couldn't trust his academic background, plus she was going to be working very closely with this person and she had concerns about their views on certain aspects. In the end she found a candidate who was better qualified and a better fit with her personally.

It seems I have to subscribe to this thread again. Every time I respond I have to sub again.

No kidding. We've been promised new mobile clients for both iOS and Android... I can hardly wait.

Guest inoubliable

SWB went to Liberty and I think she's a great person. She's obviously well educated and also obviously tolerant or she wouldn't allow us to hang out on her board.

My post was a huge generalization, I realize that. It's been a shitty morning. That's no excuse. I should have been more clear on that. I just meant that in general, the people I've run into that are homeschooled for religious reasons or that go to those types of colleges are so isolated from current events, diversity, and scientific knowledge that they seem to not understand a lot of how the real world works. That's not to say that everyone homeschooled for religious reasons or going to fundamentalist colleges are like that. Definitely not. Those types of religious people are rare, though - the ones that pray privately, keep their religious beliefs out of politics, and have a live and let live attitude. Maybe my experience is skewed. As db mentioned, Virginia is hugely conservative Christian and I've lived here pretty much my entire life. My experience is limited to that.

My real worry is coming from some conversations I've had with my neighbor who teaches in the local public schools. More and more, she said, some teachers are having to stop class and have arguments with students on things like... DNA, politics, space exploration, etc. Kids are coming to school and whining about bad test marks when they get something wrong but they see it as "disagreeing on what's acceptable" or they claim persecution for their beliefs and opinions. How are THOSE kids going to function in the real world as adults, is what she wondered the other night. And it just got me thinking.