Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Atheists, agnostics, free-thinkers, non-believers

Guest inoubliable

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ladies I need help deciding between Bravewriter and the growing with series....they do IEW but my oldest is a terrible speller and PR did not help

No experience with IEW. I've used Bravewriter and have The Writer's Jungle, but never signed ds up for any of the classes. They're just too much for our budget. I do like BR, but it is a lot of work.

Guest inoubliable

I wondered where that thread would have gone or if he would have played nice

I was waiting for ChocR to pop by on that one. The night's still young.

Guest inoubliable

Wow you guys talk a lot! I have been out of town and come home to many pages to read! :) Glad to be back, though.

Welcome back!

See my ????

I answered. :) Sorry. There was a brief French sing-a-long here.

I can't keep up with this thread! I hope it's okay if I interrupt to ask you all a quick question:

I'm looking into history for the logic stage (yes, I know that's three to four years away for us :) ). Is k12's Human Odyssey secular? It looks like it might be, but I'd like to be sure.

I own it. I haven't looked too closely at it yet, but I felt comfortable buying it :)

(Edit - yup... thread moves really fast. Didn't look like anyone had responded to this post.)

Guest inoubliable

I own it. I haven't looked too closely at it yet, but I felt comfortable buying it :)

(Edit - yup... thread moves really fast. Didn't look like anyone had responded to this post.)

Eek! Yes, I'd meant to respond and got caught up in stuff going on at the house today. We own K12's HO vol 1. We used it this year and really liked it. My middle schooler did anyway. We still use SOTW as a timeline and Kingfisher and Usborne encyclopedias for my littles, though. Completely secular as far as I saw. You can find used copies on Amazon at some decent prices, too.

We really really love this house, and the rest of the property, we would still like it if we can't have the whole thing, but not nearly as much KWIM!

We do have title insurance, but in this case I don't think it will help with the other side of the lot. I just really want to know how this was missed, and if we were deliberately scammed by the sellers. (*There are lots of smaller details I don't think I should put online!)

And if it wasn't deliberate, do we have any recourse with any of the professionals we worked with and trusted during this process.

Get a lawyer to look at the mess ASAP!!

There's my advice. :D

I think it really is bad health. I don't think the pope and the church are likely to be so responsive to any scandal, no matter how bad, as to cause the first papal resignation since the 1400s.

Wouldn't they just keep him as a face/figurehead and keep on keepin' on until he dies?

Guest inoubliable

Wouldn't they just keep him as a face/figurehead and keep on keepin' on until he dies?

See, I sorta figured that would be the case. They don't just....resign. They....die in office. I don't get it. Out of all the people on the planet, that guy had to have been surrounded by dozens of people night and day willing to care for his every need. If he's their god's representative, and then so important as being chosen and installed by their god, how can he just quit? Wouldn't that go against their god's will? Doesn't that sort of imply that he's not as important or as representative of their god, then? I'm confused by the logic. I badly want to go ask a member here, but I don't think my curiosity would go down well. Maybe we should ask one of the RCC members here to come by as a goodwill ambassador and answer some questions? Rather than go to their thread and derail it with questions?

Why do religious people come to this thread? Why would they care what we think of them? I certainly could not care less what cultists think of me, even if I was paid to do so.

I don't get it. Do the numbers reflect some sort of naughty peeking or something??

Well, to some people, not agreeing with them = bashing. Whatever.

See, I sorta figured that would be the case. They don't just....resign. They....die in office. I don't get it. Out of all the people on the planet, that guy had to have been surrounded by dozens of people night and day willing to care for his every need. If he's their god's representative, and then so important as being chosen and installed by their god, how can he just quit? Wouldn't that go against their god's will? Doesn't that sort of imply that he's not as important or as representative of their god, then? I'm confused by the logic. I badly want to go ask a member here, but I don't think my curiosity would go down well. Maybe we should ask one of the RCC members here to come by as a goodwill ambassador and answer some questions? Rather than go to their thread and derail it with questions?

Actually, I don't see why anyone is so surprised/shocked. Sure, no pope has resigned for 600 years, but really folks. It's doesn't take a god to figure out that when you're done with the job, you retire and let the next guy have his run.

So, this is pope is done with the job (for whatever reason). Honestly, I just don't see why it's more than blurb-worthy.

And, I REALLY don't get why any non-Catholics care. I don't care. I didn't care when Ratzinger was the pope and I don't care who replaces him. As I said upthread ... it has zero relevance... to anything of any importance, AFAIC.

ETA: Okay, so I just re-read upthread that you're a former Catholic KK... I stand by my meh-to-the-new-pope-itude, but I suppose if you're still scarred by the RCC experience, it'll be one of those raw moments. My advice -- let the whole church go... it's not hard to hear the last gasps of religion in this increasingly secular world anyway. Progress.

Guest inoubliable

And, I REALLY don't get why any non-Catholics care. I don't care. I didn't care when Ratzinger was the pope and I don't care who replaces him. As I said upthread ... it has zero relevance... to anything of any importance, AFAIC.

I'd like to see someone else take the job that is more liberal and more relevant to modern society. I think it might go a long way towards women's rights, birth control, AIDS, marriage equality, etc. But maybe not. The U.S. seems to count evangelical Christians as the biggest religious group rather than Catholics. And of those Catholics, I think most are cafeteria Catholics anyway or culturally Catholic. I think it also seems like a bigger deal in the U.S. because so many of our politicians fall back on their religion to explain their vote. For example, if a new Pope comes in and is adamant about abortion being wrong and a sin, we may end up with another election season with RCC politicians campaigning on anti-abortion stances. So. I'd prefer a more progressive Pope be installed for those reasons. It has no bearing on me personally but the RCC's stance on some things does affect some U.S. citizens. Mostly at the polls and then again when bills are being passed.

I'd like to see someone else take the job that is more liberal and more relevant to modern society. I think it might go a long way towards women's rights, birth control, AIDS, marriage equality, etc. But maybe not. The U.S. seems to count evangelical Christians as the biggest religious group rather than Catholics. And of those Catholics, I think most are cafeteria Catholics anyway or culturally Catholic. I think it also seems like a bigger deal in the U.S. because so many of our politicians fall back on their religion to explain their vote. For example, if a new Pope comes in and is adamant about abortion being wrong and a sin, we may end up with another election season with RCC politicians campaigning on anti-abortion stances. So. I'd prefer a more progressive Pope be installed for those reasons. It has no bearing on me personally but the RCC's stance on some things does affect some U.S. citizens. Mostly at the polls and then again when bills are being passed.

I added an ETA to my post above.

I can see how you might feel like a progressive pope might do those things, but I think you're giving the Church more power than it really has by thinking that anything will change because the Church says so. I wouldn't put any bets on a new pope giving women any rights or updating their stances on gays, bc, marriage or anything else. The track record just bears no hope for that whatsoever. The Church's stance on these issues continues to decline in influence every year, as every new generation becomes less and less reliant on religion as a compass for living.

I won't address your concerns on US politics and religion. Suffice it to say ... Nero is fiddling.

Guest inoubliable

You're right. *sigh* I guess I really should be waiting on more people to see how irrelevant it is, instead of waiting on change. The rise of the Nones in this country support that. It's frustrating to be the generation between the devout and the Nones. Progress may not be swift enough that I get to see it in my lifetime.

You would think. I dunno, I just don't see the church as letting a scandal rock them enough to get rid of a pope. In that situation, I totally see them keep on keepin on just to save face. If they won't actually punish the bishops who were complicit in abuse, what exactly could merit punishing the pope? They don't see the pope as having a direct role in the abuse scandals because they say it is a local matter in church law. I don't think that is a reasonable position but they have steadfastly held to it.

Actually, he was fairly pointed about the need for a pope to step down before becoming incapable of his duties when JPII was still in the chair, according to the NYT article. So, if he has gotten a prognosis of impending decline, he is just doing what he said would be best before he was ever elected.

If it hadn't been 600 years since the last resignation, it wouldn't be odd at all.

Eek! Yes, I'd meant to respond and got caught up in stuff going on at the house today. We own K12's HO vol 1. We used it this year and really liked it. My middle schooler did anyway. We still use SOTW as a timeline and Kingfisher and Usborne encyclopedias for my littles, though. Completely secular as far as I saw. You can find used copies on Amazon at some decent prices, too.

Thanks for the input. Thanks to Desert Rat too for the pm.

I think we'll like it. I feel like I have to be really careful and plan ahead for science and history stuff so that I can find books/curriculum that are solid and secular.

I don't think any Pope would change all that much in the Western World, but perhaps updated ideas on contraception would made a difference in developing nations?

That would make a difference, but I don't see it ever happening.

Religion is a man made construct. If a religion becomes less and less able to be relevant to the world, so it's influence becomes less and less. They come and go. Rise and die. All in turn.

Bravewriter.

New Pope. Old Pope. Meh. Don't care.

Ex-Catholic.

I am totally over religious people getting their knickers in a twist when they hear non-religious people giving their (uncensored) thoughts.

If it offends, don't read...

Coursera is a great free resource for high school.

But...but we are wrong. If you are a kind and just person I don't care if you worship a rock. If you are a judging, defensive, and vindictive person who cannot accept other viewpoints then you are...well you know. Having been raised in a church I can recite most of the service, Rite 1 and 2, and I can say with all honesty that chanting something like the nicene creed literally makes my skin crawl. I seriously have gone over and over it in my mind and it feels so empty and brainwashy. I feel bad for my parents who are life long servants of the church. Now have really gotten the short end of the deal in their parish with the running off a very good priest and the insertion of a nasty s.o.b. Money talks there just like anywhere else. Who else can front the money for a new $100K organ? Old money-but with it comes long strings. So corrupt under the pretense of good.

Guest inoubliable

Bravewriter.

New Pope. Old Pope. Meh. Don't care.

Ex-Catholic.

I am totally over religious people getting their knickers in a twist when they hear non-religious people giving their (uncensored) thoughts.

If it offends, don't read...

Coursera is a great free resource for high school.

:001_wub:

Guest inoubliable

Prepositions are more powerful than apostrophes? I'll have to be more careful! Eek!

Seriously. Somewhere I read that you have powers of prophesy....

Guest inoubliable

If you do please let me know if it is going to snow here tomorrow. I really need a nice snow fall and was going to request some PV and PT(positive vibes and positive thoughts).

"PV and PT" - I like this. Can we throw in "PJ" for positive juju?

For example, if a new Pope comes in and is adamant about abortion being wrong and a sin, we may end up with another election season with RCC politicians campaigning on anti-abortion stances. So. I'd prefer a more progressive Pope be installed for those reasons. It has no bearing on me personally but the RCC's stance on some things does affect some U.S. citizens. Mostly at the polls and then again when bills are being passed.

Not so much. Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi are both "on the parish role, go to mass" Catholics and they're both pro-choice. Even Stephen Colbert is a CCE-teaching, mass-attending Catholic and it hasn't made him nuts. I think some politicians would be whack-a-dos even if they were free-thinkers. It just goes with the territory.

I have Student Writing Intensive A that you can have for $50 shipped. Might work well. I had my DS son do it when he was in 5th and he hated to write but learned a lot. I am not using it so I need to unload.

Is that the DVD teaching mom how to teach writing? I don't know how much longer I'm going to be HSing DS13 so I'd like the videos which would show me how to help him in his writing.

Long story short - we pulled DS in December because the school wasn't helping him enough. He loves school and football so we are fighting the school for support services so he can go back. The school counselor is not my biggest fan right now. Oh well.

Not so much. Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi are both "on the parish role, go to mass" Catholics and they're both pro-choice. Even Stephen Colbert is a CCE-teaching, mass-attending Catholic and it hasn't made him nuts. I think some politicians would be whack-a-dos even if they were free-thinkers. It just goes with the territory.

I had no idea! But wouldn't a pope have to carry out the official church doctrine or dogma or whatever they call it? The church would be in an uproar over a pro-choice, gay friendly pope? I imagine they'd get back some of their lost members with that kind of pope though.

I had no idea! But wouldn't a pope have to carry out the official church doctrine or dogma or whatever they call it? The church would be in an uproar over a pro-choice, gay friendly pope? I imagine they'd get back some of their lost members with that kind of pope though.

This is why I'm so baffled about Catholics who are annoyed or angry about the Pope's stance on issues. Why were they surprised when he said no birth control, no women priests, no gays, and so forth? I mean, really.

Although, I guess the Vatican *has* changed its stance in the past. It used to be completely anti evolution and now no longer is. It also used to be anti the sun being the center instead of the earth and now isn't. So I guess change can happen.

On the other hand evolution and the earth revolving around the sun simply couldn't be ignored or denied after a while. The science was too overwhelming correct. I don't see that happening with issues such as birth control or gays as those are not quite science related. You think?

I've been glancing at this thread on and off, but haven't had the time (or will) to do much more than that.

So Hi! and I'll pop in occasionally. :D

I care because we have communities in the States that only have access to health services through Catholic institutions. We used to be covered under Providence Health Plan (now we're BCBS), and my kids were born in a Catholic hospital. We're in a big city, so competitive pressures to keep doctors cause them to look the other way when doctors perform unsanctioned procedures like tubals during a c-section for the benefit of the mother, but couched in convoluted Catholic speak. Women in smaller communities aren't so fortunate.

I care because of the lobbying done by the Catholic Church in this country in the area of health care an against women's rights.

I care because the thought of a Pope who threatened excommunication for anyone going to secular authorities in cases of priests or other church officials raping children makes my head want to explode, and want to scream with respect to sin - "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

I care because IMHO the best thing about the Catholic Church in the US -- those who do the most good (which in my definition is worldly, as opposed to spiritual) -- are its nuns, and their main group is under sanction and threat by Rome by this Pope because they place greater importance on some worldly issues than on being vehemently anti-choice.

You can argue that none of this will change under a new Pope. Maybe not. I do hope that detente is declared with the nuns at the very least though. But policy shifts and emphases can be subtle... so we shall see.

It doesn't matter to me who the Archbishop of Canterbury is. Rowan Williams stepping down doesn't affect my life in any way, shape or form. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about the Pope.

ETA: Perhaps I'm being too hard on Williams. I can see a net societal benefit for women's rights and GLBT rights, even in the US.

Seriously. Somewhere I read that you have powers of prophesy....

Actually, my husband pointed out that it's the neighbors who have the power. They were the ones (prematurely) electing a new pope. I just noticed it. ;)

I'm actively sending out no-snow juju. Saturday is lax field lining day. Not fun in snow.