Menu

Looking for an easy, workbook-based grammar program.

mo2

I picked up a Language Arts workbook at Barnes and Nobles for under $10. It is from Harcourt Family Learning (purple workbook) and I am extremely impressed with the content. It covers Grammar, Punctuation, Vocabulary (grammar vocabulary like Homophone), writing (in grade 2 in covers sentence, paragraph, main idea, supporting ideas, order, personal narrative, poem writing, describing, friendly letter, how to, information paragraph, persuading paragraph, and a book report), plus research skills. They will give practice pages besides the page skills are introduced. Some things need extra explanations but easy to teach since they give definitions and examples.

I picked up a Language Arts workbook at Barnes and Nobles for under $10. It is from Harcourt Family Learning (purple workbook) and I am extremely impressed with the content. It covers Grammar, Punctuation, Vocabulary (grammar vocabulary like Homophone), writing (in grade 2 in covers sentence, paragraph, main idea, supporting ideas, order, personal narrative, poem writing, describing, friendly letter, how to, information paragraph, persuading paragraph, and a book report), plus research skills. They will give practice pages besides the page skills are introduced. Some things need extra explanations but easy to teach since they give definitions and examples.

That sounds neat. I don't have a BN nearby but maybe I can find a link.

That sounds neat. I don't have a BN nearby but maybe I can find a link.

This is the link to Amazon for the one we are using. I think they have Language Arts up to 6th grade.

http://www.amazon.com/Language-Arts-Harcourt-Family-Learning/dp/1411404106/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357908210&sr=1-4&keywords=harcourt+language+arts+grade+2

How about KISS Grammar? You print it out for free (cost of ink and paper). Although there are things online about how to learn it before your child does it, the author suggests learning along with your child. It doesn't seem tricky, though I'm just starting.

Emily

What is a simple, pick-up-and-go, workbook grammar program? I require secular materials and would prefer not to spend a lot of money. This is for a 10yo who is not a strong reader. Thanks.

I would also suggest Growing with Grammar. I recently paired it up with Exercises in English. Not sure if it's necessary or not...I'll give it a try the rest of this year then reevaluate if EiE is needed.

Singapore's "Grammar Skills" is about as "open and go" as you can get, and it's easy. I waited until 2nd grade to start grammar with my daughter, and she flew through the first 2 1/2 books in one year. She has already completed the 2nd half of book 3 (I slowed her down a bit), and now we have changed over to LLATL, JUST for streamlining sake. I still have books 4 - 6, that we'll use on the occasion we are spending a chunk of time in the car and still want to get SOME schooling done because she needs LITTLE help/direction from me.

Evan Moor Grammar & Punctuation is $14, simple, straight-forward, workbook, no manual required. It can be independent if you want to do it that way. If not, you can read the new rule with him and make sure he understands, and let him do the exercises. 2 pages front and back per lesson (the whole front of the first page is presentation of the new rule & examples).

It has a CD included that you can use to print off an extra copy of the sheets in the book, too (if you have 2 students or something). I find this really helpful.

We like Growing With Grammar here. It has a great layout with short concise lessons. Each work page has review that includes which lesson the material is from so that you can look back in the textbook if needed. GWG teaches diagramming which may or may not be something you want but was a definite plus to me. It is set up for three lessons a week for 36 weeks.

How about KISS Grammar? You print it out for free (cost of ink and paper). Although there are things online about how to learn it before your child does it, the author suggests learning along with your child. It doesn't seem tricky, though I'm just starting.

Emily

KISS Grammar is great (secular too) but it is not workbook-based. :)

OP, you have gotten many good suggestions, several of them free to print.

Another series to consider is Sadlier-Oxford Grammar Workshop.

Evan Moor Grammar & Punctuation is $14, simple, straight-forward, workbook, no manual required. It can be independent if you want to do it that way. If not, you can read the new rule with him and make sure he understands, and let him do the exercises. 2 pages front and back per lesson (the whole front of the first page is presentation of the new rule & examples).

It has a CD included that you can use to print off an extra copy of the sheets in the book, too (if you have 2 students or something). I find this really helpful.

I had this for Grade 1 and thought it was well done...

Thank you; it does look good. I will have to see if the sixth grade one has diagramming.

I think I may go with this. I just wish I could have the whole book in 1 file, instead of having to clink on a different link for each chapter. Not a big deal, though. If you have used these, do you think it is safe to jump in at grade level, or should I backtrack a little?

Then I'll just have to figure out what to do after 6th grade...maybe move into Easy Grammar Plus.

It, unfortunately, looks like the Glencoe site only has some of the workbooks online -- like the spelling, I think, but not the actual grammar one. (The grammar seems to have just the table of contents.) I think that I'm going to run through the spelling with my sixth grader and then do the diagramming workbook from english-grammar-revolution.com with her. Then maybe we'll hit one of the simple grammar workbooks as a review of punctuation, capitalization, etc. We use WWE/WWS, so that hits a lot of stuff too.

It, unfortunately, looks like the Glencoe site only has some of the workbooks online -- like the spelling, I think, but not the actual grammar one. (The grammar seems to have just the table of contents.) I think that I'm going to run through the spelling with my sixth grader and then do the diagramming workbook from english-grammar-revolution.com with her. Then maybe we'll hit one of the simple grammar workbooks as a review of punctuation, capitalization, etc. We use WWE/WWS, so that hits a lot of stuff too.

I had trouble with the Glencoe grammar workbook at first too. I finally figured out that if you click on the "bookmarks" button on the left-hand side of the screen, then you can click on part 1, part 2, etc, and it will bring it up. I haven't figured out how to get the whole workbook at one time though....weird.

I'll definitely look into these freebies, but I wanted to say that we've been pleasantly surprised by Language Fundamentals from Evan-Moor. They're not free, but the books are attractive, the topics are well-scaffolded and presented clearly with no nonsense (beyond a couple of illustrations) on each page. We are currently using Grades 1 and 2, which cover the same topics, but with slightly greater depth in later years.

Spectrum Grammar($10 Amazon) is a good, simple WB. For my DS I went a grade below(dyslexic), I take each topic and explain(audio learner) it to him then have him do the WS. He doesn't really like the WS style but it gets done quickly. For fun we got the MCT Grammar Island(RFP $35) book for me to read aloud. You could also look at Grammmarland on google books. My kids really liked me reading it to them, plus it's free.

I have downloaded the Glencoe grammar workbooks. I will check the links again and repost.

I re-checked. The link I posted was the right one.

1. If you click any link on that page, it opens the LA workbook's Table of Contents for that grade.

2. Within each ToC PDF, you will see the bookmarks on the left.

3. There are 5 workbooks linked from each ToC: Grammar, Usage, Mechanics, Vocab & Spelling, and Composition.

4. Each of these workbooks are long and self-contained. For e.g. the sixth grade ToC links to the sixth grade grammar workbook, which is 150 pages long.

If you need direct links to the sixth grade LA, here they are:

ToC

Grammar

Usage

Mechanics

Vocab and Spelling

Composition

Hope that helps.

I re-checked. The link I posted was the right one.

1. If you click any link on that page, it opens the LA workbook's Table of Contents for that grade.

2. Within each ToC PDF, you will see the bookmarks on the left.

3. There are 5 workbooks linked from each ToC: Grammar, Usage, Mechanics, Vocab & Spelling, and Composition.

4. Each of these workbooks are long and self-contained. For e.g. the sixth grade ToC links to the sixth grade grammar workbook, which is 150 pages long.

If you need direct links to the sixth grade LA, here they are:

ToC

Grammar

Usage

Mechanics

Vocab and Spelling

Composition

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for posting the direct links -- I really appreciate you taking the time to do that! I think I wasn't having much success because I'm looking at it with my iPad and Notability, and the bookmarks on the left weren't coming up. I'll check it out with my desktop, but in the meantime, I am able to get the full grammar workbook. :)

• 11 months later...

Nansk,  I am also having problems seeing the links on that website.  I am on an Apple computer.  Maybe that is a problem.  

Would you please, please, please post the links for the TOC for 7th grade workbook?  I think I can cut and paste the URL from there to get the workbook pages.

Thank you,

Sandra

Nansk,  I am also having problems seeing the links on that website.  I am on an Apple computer.  Maybe that is a problem.  

Would you please, please, please post the links for the TOC for 7th grade workbook?  I think I can cut and paste the URL from there to get the workbook pages.

Thank you,

Sandra

1. 7th grade Grammar and Language Workbook - ToC link (ETA: Link no longer works. Search instead for all PDF files under this folder.)

2. 7th grade Grammar Enrichment - link

3. 7th grade Grammar Practice Workbook - link

I've heard good things about Climbing to Good English. I don't know how secular it is though.

I have not examined every page of it, but it seems basically secular, unlike my understanding of Rod and Staff, which contains a lot of Biblically-themed content, but it does have the basic assumption that the student is Christian (e.g. fill in the day of the week in "We go to church on ______________"). So not wholly secular but the Christianity is not integral, I don't think.