Menu

My party is cursed

regentrude

For once, I wanted to throw a nice new year's eve party. I invited 29 people.

One is out of the country- I should have remembered that.

Six people are out of town, but had let me know right away.

One couple has another function and has to leave after 45 minutes.

One couple has another function and may come afterwards if they feel up to it.

Two people are traveling and getting into town tonight and may come afterwards - if travel is smooth; with the weather, that's unlikely.

One family wanted to come but just got sick.

Two couples would have liked to come, but canceled today because it snowed.

One couple had said they'd come, but canceled just now because they have to entertain their son's guest.

One couple just told me they can't come because of a family issue.

Two couples said they'd come and have not canceled - yet.

Wish me luck that somebody shows up.

Here's hoping for a small, intimate gathering that brings you joy.

I have occasionally been one of a small number at a poorly attended party. Once we had a lovely time with wonderful, long discussions. Another time, the host spent the whole time apologizing and fretting over the small turnout. We felt so awkward, as if we weren't "good enough" guests. I am sure you would never do that!

We threw a Christmas Party on 22nd Dec and invited twice as many people as we thought we could cope with, knowing from previous years how many people don't make it. We probably invited about 100 people and had between 60 and 70 turn up. There are a lot of illnesses going around here at the moment. What upset me most were the people who didn't even bother to reply or to turn up. We did have fun, but it was hard work - especially when, after doing a preliminary clean-up and wash of glasses, we fell into bed at 2.30 am only to find that DS5 had sicked all over the bed, then continued to sick on and off throughout the rest of the night. Ugh.

I really don't know whether we'll do another one next year, it did feel like a bit of a thankless task in end.

Happy New Year to you! Do be sure to have lots of fun regardless.

Guest inoubliable

Aww, well that stinks! A small, intimate gathering sounds good, though. Hoping your evening is fun and glad that you're spending with people you love and enjoy! (Also, jealous that you know 29 people that you like enough to invite to your home.... :laugh: )

We ended up having guests, yeah!

The party was supposed to start at 7pm. At 7:20 we were still on our own, so I told the kids to go ahead and start eating.

At 7:25 we got a phone call from one of our guests. He had driven past our house and seen no cars parked outside, so he drove to the gas station at the end of the street to look up our phone number in the yellow pages and called to inquire whether it was the correct night for the party.

Shortly thereafter, he and his wife, and the other two people who had said they'd come showed up (bringing their kids), plus the couple who had to leave early. The couple who had said they might come late did come indeed, and one of the travelers made it back to town and stopped by straight from the airport before even driving home.

It was a nice small gathering with good conversation - and everybody left by 10pm. We will eat well for the next few days.

Glad it worked out.

Maybe a different day next year? New Year's Eve parties are a blast, but the biggest party we go to is held on or near Jan 6th--"Twelfth Night." You don't have to be religious to throw one or come to one, and it has several advantages over NYE. People are back in town, no one cares about being out late on the roads b/c there aren't a ton of drunk folks around...

Just a thought--I do know what you mean about a big, fun party on NYE, tho. Didn't mean to sound unsympa.

That is a bummer, but then again, I don't even KNOW 29 people to invite, LOL. And we go to church. But they all live on the other side of the county, or have extended families, or travel, or are sick, or...

We stayed home. The girls were in bed on time. My husband submitted receipts for work (by midnight). I wrapped birthday gifts for three children. :) We had fun.

I hope you did, too!

I once threw a baby shower for dsil. I usually have at least 10-15 women plus kids attend these types of "ladies'" functions, including said dsil's wedding shower. We have never been formal about RSVPs, everyone just knows about it and shows up.

Well, for dsil's shower, a total of 2 guests showed up. 2. Her former boss and our other dsil. Oh, make that 3, the wife of one of her dh's coworkers, who could only stay for a short time. No actual "friends", only close family and these aquaintances. Ugh.

Glad it all worked out in the end!

That is a bummer, but then again, I don't even KNOW 29 people to invite, LOL. And we go to church.

Most of them are, in some way, connected with work (DH's and mine). There are usually a few of our colleagues from the department; as it turned out, this year there were only two of them. I also have a funny way of making friends: there was one math prof who always greeted us so friendly and always smiled when we saw him on campus - so one year I decided that he looks like a fun person to get to know better and asked him for a party, and he turned out to really be one of the nicest, most interesting people.

Let's see who else we had: our French tutor and his wife, who is a history professor. A colleague's wife who is a photographer. A friend from our choir who inspired me to go into homeschooling, and her engineer husband.

Among the people who could not come were several people I know through music, from choir and from a recorder group with whom I performed previously.

These are not all "share your deepest confidences and confess to mental illness and family trouble"- friends, but mostly "glad to see you, let's spend a few pleasant hours eating and chatting"- friends.