Menu

My car battery keeps dying... Sigh!

blondeviolin

This is just on my mind and frustrating me beyond belief!

I first thought it was the battery...so I took it to an auto store. They said its only 2.5 years old, tested it and said it was still good.

After some googling, I wondered if it was the alternator. I tested the voltage on the battery with the car running, and it's just under 15 volts, though... Like it should be... Also, we've not had any flickering/dimming lights, radio works fine, etc. car drives fine except for the battery dying.

We drove the car yesterday a bit (not a long drive), this afternoon we tested the car and it started. This evening, the battery was dead. It's been colder the last few days and the car is now less likely to start if its sat in the garage for longer than a few hours...

Now I'm wondering if it IS the battery, even though Advanced Auto told me it was good...especially since it was their brand battery under warranty.

*sigh* I don't need car issues with our only functioning car!

• Like 1

Definitely check the battery connections. One of our cars has a battery that struggled to start it so we gave it a charge and still no improvement, went to change it to another battery we have but couldn't because of different terminal. Anyway in the process we removed the connectors from the terminals and cleaned them and it has made the most massive difference. The battery now charges and starts beautifully.

• Like 1

Thanks gals! We're taking it to another shop to have the battery tested again.

From my googling, the alternator/battery light would pop up on the dash, and there'd be other signs of electrical issues with the car. BUT, I'm not beyond having it load tested today either.

When we had the battery checked last time, they pulled it completely out to charge it, so I had assumed they would've checked the terminals and connections. I'll have my husband double check it, though.

I'd start with replacing the battery. A couple of years ago my van kept dying. They said the battery was fine and charged me a FORTUNE to replace the alternator. Two days later the van died again. The shop refunded our money (not sure how my dh worked that out!), we replaced the battery, and the problem was solved.

DH says you should replace the battery. It's possible to have a bad battery test OK.

This was our problem. Bad battery that kept testing ok but then dying. It was a Toyota battery; they replaced it and it happened again. :glare: Dh had both batteries tested at Interstate Battery. They (IB) were reluctant to sell him a new battery because the old one kept testing ok but since we replaced the Toyota battery with one from Interstate our battery no longer dies at random. Even if someone leaves a light on all night.

Well, we trickle charged it last night. It was 100%, but when we got up this morning the battery was only at 70%. Took it to a different parts store and they said it was the battery as well. Battery is still under warranty so we took it back to Advanced. Their machine now says to replace the battery. Hopefully that will solve the problem! I don't want to have to replace the alternator...

And now between all this I know more about car batteries and alternators than I really cared to. :lol:

• 3 years later...

I have read all of the above that are similar to my issue but not completely. I am wondering if anyone has come across this one and have a resolution.

I had a dead battery. I had it tested and it had a bad cell. Being that it was 6 years old I wasn't surprised so I replaced it.

About 1 month or less after it was replaced we had a really cold night (around 29) and my car wouldn't start. It is a brand new battery rated very well for cold starts so I assumed a light had been left on or something. We jumped it and all was well for two days. We then had another cold night (below 30) and again the new battery was dead.

I went to Nissan to see if there was anyway the alternator was on the fritz. They said, based on my info that it couldn't be the alternator but that my new battery was bad.

I went back to Advance Auto Parts where I got the replacement and they did a test that showed the battery was good but there was something showing a drain. They were scratching their head because there was nothing apparently on. They went ahead and changed the battery. This was Friday. I called Nissan and set an appointment to run diagnostics to find out where the drain was. I was told that they couldn't get me in until Tuesday and in the meantime I would have to disconnect the battery each time I drive it to keep it from draining dead.

Last night it got below 30. The battery cables were off of the battery as instructed by Nissan so nothing could possibly have drained it. When I reconnected it I didn't get so much as a click. There was a dome light with a very dim illumination prior to trying to turn it over but the power needed to make the start attempt drained enough power away that the dome light was black.

I jumped the battery and drove it on an errand, leaving it running while making my stops. Went to Nissan to explain before losing my mind with Advance. They tested the battery and it checked out great but couldn't run a load test. Went to Advance and they did load test. It was perfect!

I don't know where to turn. The battery sat in my car disconnected with nothing touching the posts and went dead. How can that not be the battery? And, if it is the battery, why is every test showing a perfect test and how could I possibly be so unlucky to receive two freaky bad batteries in less than a week?

Anyone have any suggestions or similar issues?

I had a similar problem last year. It turned out it was the battery. I knew it was, but dh kept telling me it was a new battery etc.  Well, we changed the battery and it stopped happening. So, either it was something else that got fixed in the process of putting in a new battery, or I was right.

ETA: we had gone though a record cold winter, with weeks and weeks of below zero temps. It just didn't stop.  I think that took at least a year off my battery's life.

Edited by redsquirrel

Oops--I missed that this was an old thread!

We had a battery test ok that actually had a bad cell.  It was 18 months old, so a bummer--but better than the alternator! FWIW, the Auto Zone did test the alternator for us too when the car still wouldn't hold a charge despite a, we were told, good battery. They hooked it up to charge overnight and then found the bad cell. They told us that happens sometimes.

Edited by sbgrace

Possibly the Voltage Regulator?  Are you sure the Alternator is charging properly?  When the engine is *not* running, the battery should have a voltage of 12.6 volts.  Also, there should be a tag on the battery that shows the "CCA" (Cold Cranking Amps or something like that) and you need to verify that the battery still has that cranking power. There is a small tester that can test that. You set the "CCA" of the battery and then you test and you see what "CCA" the battery actually has. A 2.5 year old battery could be dying, but there are other things for you to check for. Loose cables, bad cables, etc.  A short that is draining the battery?

Lanny,

Today, They did a test when the car was off as well as with it on and loaded. It tested perfectly.

As I said, I replaced the battery with known bad cell just over 1 month ago. I had to jump start the replacement twice following cold nights. 4 days ago that new battery was replaced and this morning I had to jump my car again.

The battery that was put in 4 days ago was disconnected last night with nothing touching the posts but was dead this morning.

Frustrating beyond belief!

This kept happening to our son's truck so we took it to a local shop and had them run a diagnostic test (under $40).  They found that the car radio was draining the battery even when it was off.  He had the radio replaced and has had no more issues.

I would take it somewhere else to be checked.  batteries do go bad.  providers do deny their product is bad so they don't have to pay on the warranty.

it's possible it's something else - but occams razor of simplest explanation is it's the battery.