Menu

Egads, buying/selling used hardly seems worth the trouble any more!

I've always picked up some school items used ~ italic and spelling workbooks, for instance, things that are pretty easy to find. I don't twist myself into a pretzel looking for everything used, but if I keep an eye out, probably like a lot of you. And if there's anything we're not using, I sell that. I do this via the boards here, at Sonlight, and at Homeschool Classifieds.

Most of my buying/selling experiences have been very good over the years, but it's starting to be more of a pain than in the past. Postage is getting up there, for one thing. And so far this season, I've twice received books that were not what the seller advertised; have yet to hear back from a gal whom I paid three weeks ago; and have three times had people confirm (with their address) that they want an item, only to never follow through.

Oy vey. Anyone else starting to feel like it's not worth it ~ not for the small ticket items, anyway?

Definitely not worth it. I remember 11 years ago, back when we first started, I bought almost everything used. It was kinda fun because it was SO worth the savings! Now? Forget it. People aren't selling things for 50% off anymore (I don't know what makes people think that their used books are worth almost full retail, but that's another story). Is it the new generation of homeschoolers or just money's tight everywhere? I dunno. But I'm buying everything new this year from publishers and/or RR. I don't even read my mail from HSC anymore :(

I only go for used when I find something of exceptional value (far lower than my reservation price including shipping) or if it is in some way out of print or hard to find.

It has never been my experience, with regard to homeschooling materials or other purchases, that buying used involves real savings. Particularly once you factor in the value of time into the equation.

Perhaps there was a time, back before the Internet, when information asymmetry was sufficient to make buying used preferable to buying new. But I think that day has passed, at least until Alien Space Bats deprive us of "teh Intarwebz". ;)

It really isn't worth it to me. Youngest dd will be starting public school in a few weeks, so I'm clearing out a lot of items.

I'm keeping the Saxon Algebra II book (don't have Algebra I or I'd keep it) because it may come in handy helping my kids figure out homework. I find Saxon so much easier to understand than any public school higher math text I've seen. I have a few other things like this that I think will be helpful to the kids or that I can use with at least the youngest for fun summer learning opportunities (mostly novel studies). There are a few other things I can't bear to part with--yet.

The rest will go to Book Samaritan. It isn't worth the hassle to me to try to sell it, though I have done that a few times in the past. I get much more enjoyment out of giving it to someone who needs it than I would out of the few bucks I could get for it.

I know what you mean. I have only just begun buying and selling on the forums and most exchanges have been great (including one with you:D). But you do get an occasional disappointment.

For some of the reading type books, I have posted them on PBS. That way if someone wants it, it doesn't involve money, but I get a credit to order a book that I want. I have gotten many of our readers that way.

I have some curriculum posted now that may not sale, I will probably end up taking it to the local homeschool store which will buy it as opposed to putting it on consignment. I won't get much for it, but anything is better than throwing it away. But I also just remembered the thread about donating curriculum, can't remember the name right now (the ole brain don't work very well remembering these days:001_huh:). But that would be a good option also.

Thanks PrairieAir, that is the name I was trying to remember, Book samaritan.

I'm in the same position. I've purchased and sold a few items here with great success. However when it comes to listing heavier items I can't price them competivetly. My dh has to go to the post office since he has the car during the day. It's hardly worth his time by the time we factor in postage.

I'll pay more for an item if I "know" the person, but I still check to see what price I can get the item new. Especially if it is something I am unsure about, I can't return it to an individual.

I am getting ready to sell some things and do want to be fair. I haven't sold anything for a couple of years because it is a hassle and I have no idea what postage is these days. I have been buying a lot of used books from Amazon and pay $3.99 per book. Does anyone know about how much it costs to ship a box of books?

Thanks.

Laurie in CA

dd(14) TOG and other stuff

For some of the reading type books, I have posted them on PBS. That way if someone wants it, it doesn't involve money, but I get a credit to order a book that I want. I have gotten many of our readers that way.

I'm with you -- I've started using PBS for items that won't get that much of a price anyway.

The transactions I've had here have all been positive, but some of the books I've had for sale sat so long that I ended up giving them away.

I wonder -- there are so many options in curriculum these days. Maybe that's another reason for the change we're seeing. After all, it used to be that if you wanted to find a used math book you were looking for Saxon. Now you might be looking for Saxon, Singapore, MUS, R&S, RightStart, Horizons, etc. etc.

I'm willing to buy used if I can find what I need, but honestly, I don't plan ahead enough to do that usually. I don't mind selling stuff, but I'm not the greatest about the post office, so I haven't listed anything lately. And, like others have said, if I'm going to pay pretty much full price anyway, I will get it new.

I will say that I always price stuff about 50% off, because I want it OUT OF MY HOUSE. Hence the reason for the selling. Getting some money back is nice too, and it certainly comes in handy, but mostly I just need to keep the clutter down.

It's definitely not worth it to me to buy/sell used stuff over the internet any more. But I'm not sure if it's that prices have changed, or maybe the items I'm looking for (or at least the levels) are different now, or maybe years ago I had more time and less money (definitely true), so I was willing to make more sacrifices for even a tiny savings...

But there are very few things I look for used these days. And I typically feel better about donating my unused curricula through our local home school group than bothering with the hassle of selling and mailing, etc.

What surprises me is the price Sonlight cores are selling for on e-bay. You might as well buy new from Sonlight to support them.

I really love buying new. I love the way the books look and smell. I pouted for days when hubby said, "how about buying used this year!!!" The core I wanted is $500.00...:ack2: Hum....no more "new" items from Academy for him!!!

I use PBS a lot as well. I have great success so far.

For mailing a box of books, you can use a flat rate box. Depending on size it is around 10 to 12.00 per box. There is a weight limit, but I think it's around 50 or 70 lbs. They have come in very handy for me.

I've had good luck buying used, but that may be because I love the search process so much, and don't mind if it takes me a few months to find what I'm looking for. I typically won't purchase something unless it's 75% off or more...so far I've always managed to find what I'm looking for.

On the other hand, I don't sell any of my homeschooling materials. I donate them to others that need them.

I don't mind selling, but I am rather picky about buying. Some things I do that help:

I won't sell small items individually. This year I sold several "lots" of homeschool resources. This would be things like an ocassional workbook we didn't use, to resource books such as teacher's editions, Mavis Beacon, Rummy Roots, etc. Example: I wouldn't sell a Word Roots book for $7.00. It's too much trouble. I can get $35 for a nice box of books worth at least double that.

I only take Paypal. I give the buyer 3 days to pay , then I relist the item.

I only pay with Paypal. Then I have some recourse if I don't receive an item.

I try to only sell items that are in like new condition. I can get more money for them this way.

I pretty much won't sell anything unless I can clear at least $10 for it after shipping is paid.

I rarely buy used unless I can see it in person.

I have had only good experiences in buying used and purchase most of my curriculum that way. The couple of bad books I have gotten from book mooch really don't make any difference in the long run.

But, I have decided I am not SELLING any book or curriculum under $50.00 after this year. With postage and gas to the post office it is not worth it. I just finished selling fifty auctions worth of things on ebay, yesterday. After the ebay costs, postage costs, packaging costs and the cost of gas, I think I will likely lose money. (The only benefit has been the 100+ books off my shelf.) From now on I am just donating old books and curriculum.

I am finding that on ebay, people are not trustworthy anymore. I had 2 people not send me books after being paid (luckily, I did paypal). Also had one who won a bid and asked if I could wait a little longer which I did and when the day came for them to pay the little message came that they were no longer on ebay. That was a waste of my time.

Just curious: What is PBS?

I frequently buy used if it is in good condition - and I do comparison shop. The problem with me buying used is that I think I justify buying even more than I would if buying new because I factor in the $ I'm "saving."

Vicious cycle.

Agree - paypal is the only way to go, buying and selling.

I've been in a clearing out mode since we found out about our move 6 months ago. So I got rid of 1200 books before our move - mostly I had friends come by my house before the move.

I've found in trying to sell that buyers want excellent condition for nearly nothing. I've got the excellent condition for most things :) but it's just not worth the hassle of dealing with the post office for next to nothing. I'd rather give them away.

As others have said, I've had great success with people on these boards, but maybe there's a bit more built in accountability here. :)

Same here. Recently, I was at a used book fair and a lady was selling her 6th grade Rod and Staff Math for $35. I thought that it was a $10 savings rather than purchasing new, but when I began to thumb through the book, I saw that the student book had been completely filled in. Her son did not like writing the problems out, so she let him write in the book. She explained that I could erase the pages in no time at all. I said, "No, thank you." The books were still there at the end of the sale, and she had reduced them to an all time low of $27.

I buy new as often as possible.

I pretty much agree w/ everyone else. After being disappointed time after time b/c someone else's "Like new" is NOT my definition of like new, I think I'm just going to stick to buying from RR. At least then I'll know that it's new! And don't even get me started on the used pricing...;)

Just curious: What is PBS?

I frequently buy used if it is in good condition - and I do comparison shop. The problem with me buying used is that I think I justify buying even more than I would if buying new because I factor in the $ I'm "saving."

Vicious cycle.

PBS is www.paperbackswap.com. It is a used book trading site.

Ebay is the place where things sometimes get crazy. I often see used versions of Sing, Spell, Read and Write with no student books that are selling for more than a brand new set costs from the publisher. People *think* they will always get a deal on ebay or get caught up in the bidding or something, I don't know.

I will definitely buy used if I can get the item cheaper than paying new (including shipping of course). I don't care a bit whether it's been used -- I just want to spend less money. I don't even care how much cheaper I can get it, as long as I spend less. I also actually like helping fellow homeschoolers out by buying their items -- especially ones on this board.

What I don't sell here, I take to my local homeschooling bookstore, and what she doesn't take goes to my local used bookstore. What he doesn't take is given away.

I much prefer paypal because I can ship media rate boxes from my house when the person pays with paypal, which means I don't have to drive to the post office. I have a postal scale and an old baby scale, so I can weigh items at my house. Delivery confirmation is really cheap as well through paypal shipping. I only accept non-credit card paypal because I don't want to pay fees.

I don't buy/sell a lot online, but a hundred $ or two a year. I rarely buy used anymore because my husband can't usually be around the books, or I can't--we need pet-free, smoke-free, scent-free, moisture-free (no musty or dusty smells)...well, we're hard to sell to, LOL! It's just easier to buy new & try to recoup some of the money by selling.

I try first at our local used sale & then online.

I really haven't had a lot of trouble selling used online though--I usually sell here, HS classifieds, or vegsource. Hate ebay, that would be a last resort! Usually our stuff is in excellent condition & usually I sell for 50% plus a couple of bucks for postage. If it's a very popular item, I do price a bit higher if the item is really in great condition, esp. if it's hardback. Sonlight IG's I sell for a bit more because those big binders make it really expensive to mail--it's over $5 to ship one of those media mail!

If I have little stuff to sell, I try to group it. Once that came back to bite me though, I had a puzzle grouped in with some preschool books & didn't remember until I was mailing it that I couldn't send it media mail! Lost money on that one.

The other thing with little stuff is I list a bunch at the same time--usually I can do several orders at once by waiting a day or two to mail things on the same day--less trips to the PO.

I'm so glad to hear about Samaritan though, I may try to send some things there instead, what a cool idea!

Merry :-)

I have a big list on http://www.homeschoolclassifieds.com, but frankly things haven't moved real well this year. I sold a lot in April and May (sometimes 3-4 a day), and then it's been pretty quiet. I think I've sold maybe one a week or so since mid-June or so. If we weren't so tight to the point that I'll take even a few dollars, I wouldn't bother. Using Paypal shipping does help -- no trips to the post office.

I'm going to look into Paperback Swap. Maybe that will be productive...

That is why I have shelves of stuff I don't use, LOL! I sell things every once in a while....but not often! The price of postage...and just getting it down to the post office is more than it is worth....for me.

Tammy

I've always picked up some school items used ~ italic and spelling workbooks, for instance, things that are pretty easy to find. I don't twist myself into a pretzel looking for everything used, but if I keep an eye out, probably like a lot of you. And if there's anything we're not using, I sell that. I do this via the boards here, at Sonlight, and at Homeschool Classifieds.

Most of my buying/selling experiences have been very good over the years, but it's starting to be more of a pain than in the past. Postage is getting up there, for one thing. And so far this season, I've twice received books that were not what the seller advertised; have yet to hear back from a gal whom I paid three weeks ago; and have three times had people confirm (with their address) that they want an item, only to never follow through.

Oy vey. Anyone else starting to feel like it's not worth it ~ not for the small ticket items, anyway?

Colleen, I had this exact thought yesterday. I sold a brand new workbook on the swap board. I did what I usually do when I price... half of what I paid, plus a dollar or two for shipping.

Well, by the time paypal took their cut, and the post office took their $3 for media mail and delivery confirmation, I made $4.50. And I stood in line at the post office for 25 minutes with 3 children, 1 with his hands over his ears because of the noise and 1 who kept wanting to lay down on the floor because this was our 6th errand of the day (combining to save gas) and she had had enough of being out in public.

I should have just kept the workbook for someone to play with.