Menu

2012 PSAT scores are in...

I just can't view them!!! :toetap05:

The CB Quick Start Guide is now requesting the 2012 Access Code in order to view October's scores. For the past two years, I have been able to call the CB and a representative has provided me with this stupid code. I struck out today - the rep said that the CB has never provided access codes over the phone and I will have to wait for the scores to come in the mail.

The CB rep. told me that the access code needed to view the scores that are ready in the online account will be included in the hardcopy of the scores I receive via snail mail. Gee, thanks for modern technology. I really don't need the access code once I have a hardcopy!! :cursing: :banghead:

The CB rep did tell me that I should receive the hardcopy by the end of the week.

For those of you waiting for scores, you may have better luck than I did in getting the access code over the phone. Last year I struck out with the first rep and called back immediately and was connected with a different rep who provided me with the access code - two weeks before they arrived via snail mail.

For those of you waiting for scores, you may have better luck than I did in getting the access code over the phone. Last year I struck out with the first rep and called back immediately and was connected with a different rep who provided me with the access code - two weeks before they arrived via snail mail.

I just tried calling them and a very nice young man told me he didn't have access to the codes. Said they were computer generated and they didn't keep records of the numbers. Maybe they've changed the system since you called in previous years?

I just tried calling them and a very nice young man told me he didn't have access to the codes. Said they were computer generated and they didn't keep records of the numbers. Maybe they've changed the system since you called in previous years?

Not to be cynical of the non-profit CB, but the reps the last two years had absolutely no problem providing me with the access code once I provided the necessary information. My son also received an email a couple of weeks ago providing him with 2011's access code in case he wanted to prep for his upcoming SATs, so somewhere in the CB system they have records of the numbers.

I did ask the rep I spoke with today if not providing access codes over the phone was a new policy this year. Despite the fact that I had just told her that I have received the access code over the phone the last two years, she assured me that the CB has never provided access codes over the phone.

This whole process is ridiculous. What is the point of the access code? Why can't a student view his scores as soon as they become available?

Not to be cynical of the non-profit CB, but the reps the last two years had absolutely no problem providing me with the access code once I provided the necessary information. My son also received an email a couple of weeks ago providing him with 2011's access code in case he wanted to prep for his upcoming SATs, so somewhere in the CB system they have records of the numbers.

I did ask the rep I spoke with today if not providing access codes over the phone was a new policy this year. Despite the fact that I had just told her that I have received the access code over the phone the last two years, she assured me that the CB has never provided access codes over the phone.

This whole process is ridiculous. What is the point of the access code? Why can't a student view his scores as soon as they become available?

All I can think of is that it gives the guidance counselors a few days to do something with the results before the students (and parents) start asking questions about them.

But I'd really like those scores.

I can't call to get anything as my PSAT guy is in ps this year and has to get his from them, however, in other years, they never gave me a code... they linked his PSAT account to his SAT account using info I supplied and we were able to get them for my middle son that way (both years he took it). He logged in (after the linking) and they were there.

I don't know if they have a new policy they are enforcing this year or if asking for the code is throwing them off.

Okay. Here is a dumb question (my ds is in public school as well): Does each test taker have an access code? Or does each school have an access code? Does it change from year to year as I have last year's paper results.

How does that work for home schoolers? Does each home school student have his/her own code?

Okay. Here is a dumb question (my ds is in public school as well): Does each test taker have an access code? Or does each school have an access code? Does it change from year to year as I have last year's paper results.

How does that work for home schoolers? Does each home school student have his/her own code?

When I logged into my son's account, there was a link to get PSAT scores. Then it asked for the access code. The hyperlink had the following info:

Where do I find this code on my paper score report?

You can find your access code at the bottom right of your PSAT/NMSQT® paper score report under Next Steps.

The access code begins with a letter, is followed by eight numbers, and ends with a letter.

=======

I also found the following:

To view your detailed online score report and SAT study plan before January 15, you must enter the access code from your official paper score report. If you haven't received your report yet, ask your counselor when it will be handed out at your school. After January 15, you'll have automatic access to your online report and study plan.

=============

So it would seem that the paper report has to be in hand to get to the online scores. (I'm not really following the logic of this. But then, this is an industry that asks how much money is in your pocket before telling you the cost of tuition. I'm not sure logic applies.) Maybe there will be some more detailed breakdown in the online version.

Well, what I was asking was if *last year's* access code from *last year's* paper report. I don't have a paper report for this year (yet). I don't really get if every student has an access code or if every school has an access code and if that changes from year to year. I just need to be patient, but it isn't my forte!

Well, what I was asking was if *last year's* access code from *last year's* paper report. I don't have a paper report for this year (yet). I don't really get if every student has an access code or if every school has an access code and if that changes from year to year. I just need to be patient, but it isn't my forte!

Oh, that I don't know. Sorry for the confusion.

The codes change each year and each student has their own. Sorry... The code is assigned to the test they took. The guidance office gets a list of all students/codes, but ours won't hand them out (even to me... and I work there :cursing: ) until they hand out the paper copy to the students. That happens "when they have time." At least last year it was before Christmas break.

Mailed scores tend to arrive on the west coast first, then move (gradually) east. They seem to mail them out in batches rather than all at once - or perhaps they are mailed from the west coast, but I thought they were headquartered in the east... who knows?

Our school doesn't have them in yet.

When I logged into my son's account, there was a link to get PSAT scores. Then it asked for the access code. The hyperlink had the following info:

Where do I find this code on my paper score report?

You can find your access code at the bottom right of your PSAT/NMSQT® paper score report under Next Steps.

The access code begins with a letter, is followed by eight numbers, and ends with a letter.

=======

We have no link to get PSAT scores at all - not even last year's? Hmm. Wonder what that means? How do I get the school to link up the PSAT scores with ds's SAT scores??

Sorry to have so many questions that are NOT really related to homeschooling! Just sharing in the frustration of not being able to get scores.

ETA: Never mind. I found it and last year's scores. Duh.

The codes change each year and each student has their own. Sorry... The code is assigned to the test they took. The guidance office gets a list of all students/codes, but ours won't hand them out (even to me... and I work there :cursing: ) until they hand out the paper copy to the students. That happens "when they have time." At least last year it was before Christmas break.

Mailed scores tend to arrive on the west coast first, then move (gradually) east. They seem to mail them out in batches rather than all at once - or perhaps they are mailed from the west coast, but I thought they were headquartered in the east... who knows?

Our school doesn't have them in yet.

Thanks for the info about access codes. Very helpful. I was hoping I could just plug in last year's! Ha ha! Oh, well. I suppose the school has to have the paper reports to know the access codes. I found the link for scores. They are there, but I need the access code to see them. The system is rather squirrely isn't it? I saw on cc where a son in NJ has texted his mom his score today.

If the code is assigned to the test they take, is it written on the test? Maybe moms should tell their kiddos to jot it down! ;)

It looks as if they are going East to West this year. CC has people posting in NJ and Mass.

That's good to know. Maybe I'll step in and ask guidance about them tomorrow - just in case their answer is different this year than last. One would think being one of their "usual proctors" for all things standardized would be worth at least a few bonus points I could call in.

These are the most torturous days of my entire life, I swear. First child... first PSAT scores... My dd is so pale this week; she's in the middle of exams and final papers anyway, plus some relationship stuff, plus taking her little FLL team to state, plus some other projects. The PSAT pressure she put on herself is pushing her over the edge into slap happy. :D

Seriously, in this day and age, they can't just text them the scores a week after they take it?!?!?! Junior year is HARD enough!

228 here for my freshman. She got a 221 2 years ago. This is her first year of b&m high school, so I still attribute that fine score to homeschooling. She is texting me furtively from school, as phones are not allowed to be on during school hours, and says she only missed 3 questions on the exam.

Terri

Paper copies arrived at our school (PA) yesterday, but they aren't giving them to students just yet - perhaps tomorrow - perhaps next week. However, I MIGHT be able to get a sneak peak later today. I'm hoping I can... no visions of National anything, but I just want to know in order to figure out which test (SAT/ACT) to zero in on.

I hope everyone out there (WTM) gets good news...

Stupid question (that shows how little thought I have given the whole PSAT deal): what is the point total?

I don't think my DD is thinking about her score at all; she is awaiting the posting of the grades for her physics class this afternoon to find out whether she has an A without taking the Final Exam.

Stupid question (that shows how little thought I have given the whole PSAT deal): what is the point total?

I don't think my DD is thinking about her score at all; she is awaiting the posting of the grades for her physics class this afternoon to find out whether she has an A without taking the Final Exam.

Scholarships here. The older two earned free rides (tuition and living expenses) with their National Merit scores. One went to ASU, the other University of Arizona. Both were automatically accepted into their honors colleges if they chose to accept it and that has been an excellent experience. My next daughter down is just a Sophomore, but I'm anxious to see whether her scores are in the same range as her older sisters at the same age.

ETA: sorry, I think I misread your question. I didn't see the words "point total," I saw, "what is the big deal?" I think I may need to schedule my annual eye exam. This is happening more often these days. (where oh, where are the emoticons? I still can't find them.)

Scholarships here. The older two earned free rides (tuition and living expenses) with their National Merit scores. One went to ASU, the other University of Arizona. ..

ETA: sorry, I think I misread your question. I didn't see the words "point total," I saw, "what is the big deal?" I think I may need to schedule my annual eye exam. This is happening more often these days. (where oh, where are the emoticons? I still can't find them.)

No problem, I realized I should have been clearer. I get the "point" of the exam, LOL

I was asking about literally the number of points available. Shows how little I was involved in DD's prep.

The reason I am not stressing is the advice I have gotten on this forum that many equally good scholarship opportunities by the schools are available also for good SAT/ACT performance. Now, we'll stress when DD retakes her ACT to shoot for a higher score.

No problem, I realized I should have been clearer. I get the "point" of the exam, LOL

I was asking about literally the number of points available. Shows how little I was involved in DD's prep.

The reason I am not stressing is the advice I have gotten on this forum that many equally good scholarship opportunities by the schools are available also for good SAT/ACT performance. Now, we'll stress when DD retakes her ACT to shoot for a higher score.

I thought it was an odd question, coming from you. That should have been my first tip, LOL

Here's the scoring percentages if anyone wants to look at them all:

http://www.testmasters.net/PsatAbout/Scoring-Scale

My guy (junior) got a 181 - fairly respectable for his rather unwillingness to study. His math score was low. I expected that. This curricula our school uses (CPM math) is horrid and as much as I'd like to think he's supplementing using TT, that's all in my dreams. He won't, of course, because he does school at school. Even when he would study for the test (the last week), he opted to do Reading and Writing, not Math. Unfortunately, the Writing was his highest score - naturally, the one least counted by colleges. With our block scheduling, his math may improve for spring testing as he has math starting in Jan. Of course, his English class ends in Jan... (sigh).

Overall though, I am thinking he may be my one who is better at the SAT than ACT. The two percentages are close enough that I'll let him pick which one he prefers I think.

Enough musing. May the rest of you get your scores soon and may you be pleased with them!

My brain was telling me my guy's two scores (PSAT/ACT) were close enough... my research shows me his two scores were equal. He will definitely have his pick of which test he likes better (knowing the real SAT is a little different than the PSAT). Here's a quick score comparison for that if folks want to see it:

http://www.eurekareview.com/pdfs/presentations/SAT_ACT_conversion_chart.pdf

I've never had equal before. My two olders were better at the ACT. Most kids at school seem to better at one or the other. This kid is "proving" the charts, though one was the PSAT (both tests taken in Oct).

Okay, now that other posters are sharing, I will too.

This is the second time DS (15 yo) took the PSAT. He took it last year as a freshman and this year as a sophomore.

His scores last year were good; his scores this year were great(200+). If we lived somewhere other than IL and he had junior status, he would have qualified. I hated seeing the asterisk beside his score.

I kind of knew something was up because his guidance counselor wanted to speak with us about his test results. The school hasn't had many qualifiers and there is some excitement about the possibility of DS qualifying next year.

His scores on the PSAT are in line with his scores on the SAT, the PLAN and the ACT.

My son's scores arrived in MA today. :crying: I should be happy because he scored high enough to make NMF in over 40 states, just not the one we live in... With just one more writing question right, he probably would have made it. The curve was brutal at the top. Sigh. I expected this would happen all along, but it still really hurts. This whole NMF system is just so unfair! :cursing: Why should kids living 10 miles North of us make it and my son doesn't???

Best wishes to everyone else's dc,

Brenda

This whole NMF system is just so unfair! :cursing: Why should kids living 10 miles North of us make it and my son doesn't???

:iagree: :grouphug: But you never know what the cut-offs will be this year, he may have a qualfiying score despite living in MA.

At least there are a lot of colleges out there that award merit aid based on SAT scores, not PSAT scores.

My son's scores arrived in MA today. :crying: I should be happy because he scored high enough to make NMF in over 40 states, just not the one we live in... With just one more writing question right, he probably would have made it. The curve was brutal at the top. Sigh. I expected this would happen all along, but it still really hurts. This whole NMF system is just so unfair! :cursing: Why should kids living 10 miles North of us make it and my son doesn't???

Brenda

Oh, I'm sorry. That stinks.

Congrats to your son on a high score anyway! I bet you can expect good scores on his SAT.

Guest GinnyClausen

Guest GinnyClausen

The access code changes from year to year, because I have her paper report from last year and tried entering it and it said that was not the correct access code for her most recent tes.

Brenda

:grouphug: This was us last year, except my guy missed our cut off due to not coordinating his watch with the room's clock. Any one of the three math questions he didn't get to would have put him over. If we hadn't moved out of his native state, he'd have qualified and had points to spare... but, he did well with merit aid anyway.

Hopefully the scores may drop a point or two this year so your guy makes it. It could happen...