Menu

Suggestions for a non-messy pet?

bethben

Our betta fish have always been very low maintenance. The tank only needs to be cleaned every other month, no filter or any of that, not even a real tank. We have an acrylic beverage holder (think see-though beer/wine tub), some gravel and a fake plant. Oh, and if you go on vacation, the betta can easily live a good month without food.

Plus, the betta (male) is a beautiful fish, and you can get one in whatever color your son likes the most. Just remember, one male betta to a tank. If you want more fish, they will happily live with other fish as long as they don't look anything like a betta! We bought silver tetras and a snail to keep one of our bettas from being bored.

Just remember that if you do get a betta, they can't actually live in those teeny tiny bowls they come in. The idea that they can thrive in half a cup of water is a myth. Get the size of tank you would if you had, say, a goldfish.

Hermit crabs are cool, too. Dd begs me for one every time we go to the pet store for cat food.

My rat only did her business in one corner of a glass tank. I quick scoop up with a paper towel daily kept her nice and fresh. When she was out of the cage, she didn't wet. Good old Ratty.

Most of my rats have been the same way. They'd even run back into the cage to go if they were out, then run back out again and resume play. Though I did have a couple of phantom poopers that would leave presents on the couch or between bedsheets. ;)

The absolute easiest pet we've had is the hermit crab--- he's been with us for 6 1/2 years and is still going strong.

The gerbils--- twice monthly tank cleanings and one tank smelled all.the.time while the other didn't.

The fish--- relatively low maintenance until tank cleaning day. I dreaded it. Believe it or not, it's easier to set up a full tank (10gal) with a filter (be sure to cycle it before adding fish or the stress of going through a cycle can kill them) than to just use a small bowl for a Beta fish. The bowl/small tank needs weekly cleaning which involves removing the fish to a small container w/some old water while you empty the tank, scrub down the inside and any novelties in there (Bettas love having coffee mugs laid on their sides--- they sleep in them!) and then refilling and replacing novelties. It's not difficult, but week after week it gets old. Especially if you're like us and get a Betta that lives four years!

My vote? The Hermit Crab. Once in a blue moon (like a few months) we replace his substrate and redecorate his tank (we have him in a 10 gal aquarium with Eco Earth for substrate and a ton of shells & baskets), and we make sure he has food and water. He seems quite happy and the kids still enjoy watching him roam around and feeding him strawberries, popcorn, etc.

ETA: I have heard fantastic things about rats as pets, but I just can't get past the tail. Eek.

We were considering a Hermit Crab for our kids this year too, but I learned that they can live for 25-30 years! Yikes! I can't handle that kind of commitment.

I had a gerbil when I was in the Second Grade. We had a plastic cage so his bedding didn't get everywhere. They're desert animals so their poop is dry and fairly low odor. He was really friendly and would sit on my shoulder.

A snake-they only poop about once per mouse, so spot cleaning is all you need, and you only need to completely replace the bedding every few MONTHS. The downside is that you do have to deal with frozen mice (We buy ours in bulk a couple of times a year at Reptile shows, and just defrost one every week or two for her.).

I think cats actually require less maintenance than any other pet that I would care to have. The whole point of a pet is to be able to touch and hold and play with it.

You just need to feed a cat and have a litter box. Cleaning out a litter box really doesn't take much time. While you ought to get puppies one at a time, kittens are best in pairs.

I found cleaning out a fish bowl highly irritating. Hamster cages are a pain to clean and you really can't play with them all that much. Guinea pigs are much better than hamsters, but I still think they take more work than cats.

It is actually possible to leave a cat at home alone for several days if you provide an automatic food dispenser and several bowls of water and set up several litterboxes.

I think cats actually require less maintenance than any other pet that I would care to have. The whole point of a pet is to be able to touch and hold and play with it.

I don't know, I think the less fuzzy pets are good for kids, too. It takes a mature, responsible kid to devote him or herself to caring for a pet that will never be able to show any kind of affection in return.

I like the digital pet idea the best. All animals take work, some far less than others...

I agree. Eight years old is also young to be fully responsible for a pet. Even a mature-for-his-age, responsible child is going to slack off at some point. Whatever you get, be sure you are prepared to either remind your ds to take care of it, or be willing to take on some of the responsibility yourself.

I'm not saying don't get a pet for him. Our dog was a birthday present for ds when he turned 7. We knew though, that we would be teaching him responsibility for a pet while doing a lot of the pet care ourselves until ds got older. Just know what you're getting into.

Alvin loves his ball python. He is surprisingly friendly and only needs to be fed every other week or so when young, less frequently as they get older. It isn't the pet I would personally choose, but he is very low maintainence for as much interaction as he gives. We clean our tank out every week or two, depending on his feeding schedule and if he is shedding his skin.

Guest inoubliable

Cornish Rex cat! They don't shed!!! She is the greatest cat I've ever had. My dd9 (almost 10) cleans her litter box once a day. Otherwise, she is one easy pet that gives so much joy and love!!

How can you resist this face?!

_MG_1574.jpg

Oh my! That is seriously one of the most beautiful cats I've ever seen!

We have hermit crabs, and none of them seem to be going for a 25 year record. We *had* 6, which dwindled to 2 and just bought 3 more today. In our defense, this was over the course of two years, and one we took from a petstore free because it was missing its big claw.

Pros: SUPER SUPER easy care. Cheap to buy and cheap to feed, they are okay with vacation absences too. I'm setting up a hermit crab care chore for each of my boys and one of them is only 4. Pet ownership= responsibility. Crab ownership= easy entry.

Cons: I have been pretty uptight about letting the boys hold them for fear of pinches. As in, I don't really. They watch them crawl around from time to time outside the cage, and then the kids do enjoy them but they are neither cute nor cuddly.

Alternatives if you decide against hermits: Rats are excellent pets, and I had a leopard gecko in college I really liked. Only drawback was bringing live crickets into my home, which I worried would get out and infest. Ew.