Menu

How is candy being used in your homeschool today?

I kept dd5 out of public school today after a late night. I guess our homeschool roots run deep, because we broke out the white board...sorted, classified and made a bar graph with her candy. :001_smile:

I remember doing this with my older kids and I was happy to bring her into the tradition.

We are doing something similar. Instead of graphing how much of each type of candy, we're making observations about the differences in tastes and textures and recording the information on a chart. I blogged about it and made a chart to print out if anyone wants it.

ETA: Oops, I tried to add the picture and it's HUGE. You'll have to go to my blog to print it out (for free!)

Only plan I have is for her to count it. Her friend's mom made a comment last night when the girls had finished ToTing that they get one candy a day and it would take them at least a year to go through it. On the way home, Emma commented that she really did not think she had that many pieces of candy so I told her to count it. First I will have her estimate what she has. Maybe I will figure out some sort of sorting so she can graph seeing that is what she is doing in math right now anyways!

Breakfast. No, I am not kidding.

The kitchen was a disaster from prepping chocolate ganache filled chocolate cupcakes with Italian meringue frosting for homeschool harvest-Halloween festival and then throwing together salad and stuffed mushrooms for dinner with another family before ToT in their area. We got home so late, I just curled up and slept. This morning I handed apples to the boys and pointed them to their bags of candy because I wanted a little more sleep.

Can't use candy in any way...no Trick or Treating till MONDAY in my state...darn Sandy...

Oh yes, I heard about that for New Jersey, but wondered how many people would get the news without electricity and such.

Our candy - every year it's my burden to get rid of it. Especially this year since DD has a nut allergy. I've eaten 5 bars already and feel sick.

We did the acidity test (pretty cool), the floating M and S's, and the density rainbow (only 1 of our three sort of worked, I think it was user error (me), though LOL) from candyexperiments.com

I did have some candy that I bought weeks ago for this purpose, but we added a few things they got ToT'ing last night, as well.'

We did the acidity test (pretty cool), the floating M and S's, and the density rainbow (only 1 of our three sort of worked, I think it was user error (me), though LOL) from candyexperiments.com

I did have some candy that I bought weeks ago for this purpose, but we added a few things they got ToT'ing last night, as well.'

That is awesome, thank you for sharing!