Menu

Who here is being affected by Sandy?

I know Jane is... I have suspicions about others, but don't necessarily know exactly where folks live.

We're getting outer bands now and they've closed school for the day - possibly tomorrow, but they're waiting to see what happens tonight when it's supposed to go directly over us.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying decluttering my house just a little - getting PSAT materials ready to list for sale (YES! another milestone past and one I don't have to be teary eyed about) and straightening out my table and bookshelves, etc. I'm even getting to catch up on newspaper news (and a few puzzles). The unexpected vacation with the weather too nasty to go places or do things outdoors is a little bit of a blessing for my "to do" list.

Hubby needs to go outside for a meeting this afternoon though. :glare: The public world closes, but the private world doesn't. He's working "as usual." At least, he is as long as we still have power...

We are here. Just waiting for the power to go out and trying to prepare. I have made all the copies of things we need for school this week. Going to watch our Latin DVD in a few minutes.

As far as the house goes, we have all the necessities to survive for a few days. I have done up all the laundry and filled the freezers with gallon sized bags of water. Hopefully the big bags of ice will keep things colder longer. I just made chicken rice soup. Wanted a nice warm meal before the power goes.

Unfortunately I have to head out to work this afternoon. Only planning on being there until 5. Hopefully the commute won't be a total disaster!

Stay safe everyone!

I was thinking of Jane and Nan amongst others as well!

In our neck of the woods, we'll only see 30-50 mph wind gusts though we are on the edge of a county that will get 60 or so and since we are only 2 miles from the county line, the upper prediction is a small possibility. Just north of us, there are flood warnings. Lake Huron is going to rise rapidly tonight from the rains of the outerbands (we've already had too much rain this autumn anyway) so the prediction is 14-24 inches over flood stage. My guess is that four school districts will be closing early to make sure they are ahead of that and won't be open tomorrow.

We do not need to make any preparations since we are already supplied for winter, except that I'm out of lamp oil (love our Aladdin lamps when power goes out), and since we just got back from MTU, are low on perishables such as milk and eggs. I also need laundry soap so I'm going to give my kids the afternoon off and run to the store. We've all come down with rotten respiratory colds anyway and they can barely think!

My thoughts and prayers are with our east coast people. I've got a beloved nephew and his dear wife in Baltimore and worry about them a lot!

Faith

We're in MA. Inland in MA, about an hour from the nearest coastline.

All the schools are cancelled today, gov't is shut down, Governor declared a state of emergency, so dh's work even shut down. They cancelled trash pickup that comes by in the morning at 7am. It's 11:30, and there's barely a breeze, and there's a light drizzle. :glare:

I'm pretty sure we all could've continued with business as usual till at least this afternoon - if school needed cancelling, it's probably tomorrow that will be the problem. This probably is the calm before the storm, but they've been predicting for days that the storm wouldn't get bad here till Monday evening, so I'm not sure what the panic is this morning already.

Hope everyone actually in the path is battened down and doing fine!

We are, but I have no children at sea in the Atlantic, so other than grieving for the Bounty crew (and wondering what on earth the skipper was thinking - this was long predicted), we're ok. The view from my pillow this morning was pretty exciting as I watched the trees blow around. I Other than one scary blast, so far so good. Boats are all hauled or tied down well. Storm surge will be a problem for my folks and they wouldn't let me leave a child with them, but with this wind direction, they'll be ok - flooded for sure and probably without power, but ok. If the hurricane stays on track and none of our trees decides to fall through the house, we'll be ok. They've downgraded our wind gusts from 70mph to 55. I'm pretty sure we've done 55 gusts before and the roof stayed on. The roof will leak but we're home to rescue any books.

I worry about Jane.

Nan

All the schools are cancelled today, gov't is shut down, Governor declared a state of emergency, so dh's work even shut down. They cancelled trash pickup that comes by in the morning at 7am. It's 11:30, and there's barely a breeze, and there's a light drizzle. :glare:

Grrrr :blink:

Edited by MIch elle

she is a student at Gallaudet University which is a designated Federal shelter for the deaf so she has a place to go if power goes out in her apt.

I'm mostly worried about the roads she will have to travel on if she needs to evacuate and the trees falling on her apt., etc. but she is well prepared with food, water, etc.

We're a little closer to the coast than you, but all we've really had so far are some wind gusts and scattered rain. Right now, they're forecasting the worst winds to top out at about 35mph around supper time.

The gov. closed all the schools, but our little homeschool is chugging along as usual.... Mail truck just went by, so I guess they're still out and working. Dh's work as also cancelled.

Hopefully, our power will stay on, but if not, we've got food & water, and plenty of books to read.

I hope Jane is OK, too.

Brenda

Wow---thanks for thinking of me! Still breezy at home but the rain has passed.

I am in the Midwest visiting my Dad. He needs all of the good thoughts and prayers that can be mustered. Flying home tomorrow--but not via the NE.

Keeping fingers crossed...

Jane (hugging you all back)

P.S. Batten down the hatches, folks!

Jane and I were writing at the same time. ;) Glad to hear from you, Jane! Sorry to hear about your dad... you have my prayers.

School is now closed here tomorrow and hubby's meetings got postponed until Wed, so he no longer needs to go out. :001_smile:

We still got junk mail in the mail today, but it came early. The paper came early too. The wind and rain have picked up, but it's still not "bad" - at least - not around us. I feel for those closer to the coast where flooding will be a big issue. You folks take care!

Wow---thanks for thinking of me! Still breezy at home but the rain has passed.

I am in the Midwest visiting my Dad. He needs all of the good thoughts and prayers that can be mustered. Flying home tomorrow--but not via the NE.

Keeping fingers crossed...

Jane (hugging you all back)

P.S. Batten down the hatches, folks!

:grouphug::grouphug: for you and your dad, as well as prayers.

Faith

I'm in Southern NH and it's been raining all day. Just a few minutes ago it started to get pretty windy out. The state has strongly suggested that everyone be off the roads by 3pm - or now, so dh came home from work early.

We bought a generator, but ended up not being able to get enough gas for it - all the big gas cans were totally sold out everywhere. Hopefully the power doesn't go out, but if it does, we'll hopefully have just enough gas to keep our fridge/freezer on. It seems once a year we have a major power outage and have to throw away the entire contents of the fridge/freezer. So depressing. On the bright side it won't be cold!

Right now, we're just sitting tight and waiting to see what happens. Hopefully I'll be able to fix dinner before we lose any power.

The rain and wind have been almost constant since sometime in the middle of last night. We've been watching the creek at the back of our yard rise all day------the backyard slopes way down hill to the creek so our house isn't in danger of flooding, though the neighbors a few houses down might have some bad flooding.

The Boy and The Girlfriend are here for a few days since the University cancelled classes :)

We're currently driving north on I-85 in a rental car attempting to reach Richmond, VA.

We were in Louisiana for a family wedding this weekend & had booked our airline tickets to return home today. All flights into Richmond were cancelled, but we managed to fly as far as Raleigh- Durham and get a rental car there. Just crossed into VA, and the rain & winds are starting to pick up. Can't wait to get home!!

We're currently driving north on I-85 in a rental car attempting to reach Richmond, VA.

We were in Louisiana for a family wedding this weekend & had booked our airline tickets to return home today. All flights into Richmond were cancelled, but we managed to fly as far as Raleigh- Durham and get a rental car there. Just crossed into VA, and the rain & winds are starting to pick up. Can't wait to get home!!

Oh, wow. Hope you make it safe and sound. Saying prayers for you!!

We are, but I have no children at sea in the Atlantic, so other than grieving for the Bounty crew (and wondering what on earth the skipper was thinking - this was long predicted), we're ok. The view from my pillow this morning was pretty exciting as I watched the trees blow around. I Other than one scary blast, so far so good. Boats are all hauled or tied down well. Storm surge will be a problem for my folks and they wouldn't let me leave a child with them, but with this wind direction, they'll be ok - flooded for sure and probably without power, but ok. If the hurricane stays on track and none of our trees decides to fall through the house, we'll be ok. They've downgraded our wind gusts from 70mph to 55. I'm pretty sure we've done 55 gusts before and the roof stayed on. The roof will leak but we're home to rescue any books.

I worry about Jane.

Nan

Nan, thanks for checking in. I was wondering if anyone was out to sea. May you and your loved ones stay safe.

Edited: If I would have read further, I would know that Jane is okay.

I will keep the two of you and everyone else on this thread in my hopes for safety and peace of mind.

Edited by swimmermom3

Glad everyone seems to be faring well so far.

We had a lot of rain but it is tapering off. The wind is definitely howling, but so far it is significantly less than was predicted even this morning.

Pretty much everything here is shut or closed. Both dh and ds are working from home.

The schools are closed, and dd's college class was cancelled. However, much to my dd's frustration, our homeschool is chugging along. She had no water or wind problems getting from her bedroom to the schoolroom this morning so I couldn't see cancelling! :tongue_smilie:

Ds on Long Island lost electricity hours ago and his college is running on generators. The Sound has risen up to the college's boat house (which has been emptied of boats), but the college is MUCH higher than the boathouse so they should all be fine.

We still have power, but I don't know how long it will last as our news just reported that 7800 are without power in our immediate area and the winds are just now starting to pick up. We're cooking supper as I type (frozen pizzas, so nothing major). Hopefully, if the power goes out, it will wait until they are finished. We do have the generator if we need it, but it's raining kind of hard outside now, so I'm sure hubby doesn't really feel like going out to the garage to hook it up (the house and garage are not connected).

We did get an e-mail in from U Rochester saying that, as of now, all classes tonight and tomorrow are still on. I never expected a school in an area used to really bad weather would cancel over some wind and rain. ;) Where my mom lives in NY (northern), school let out at noon today. That surprised me. They don't usually close either, but I guess they figure they got a day in.

Be safe, Kathy!

Thanks, Lisa.

Gwen - I wondered about your son. Thanks for the update.

Kathy - I hope you get home safely.

Wind is whistling now. A small tree is now leaning against the house, another branch fell, just missing a car, and we're obviously going to have some shore errosion (lake). I'm worried about the blueberry bushes but so far, the water hasn't risen up high enough to get into the basement. My husband is very happy that he replaced the northeast post that the house sits on. It will have to get much wilder before it washes the nice big cement pad out. One of our fosters is driving himself back home (to here) from NC right now. He was supposed to fly back today. He's our schooner kid and probably going to be pretty upset about the Bounty. He's due here about midnight. Amazing how relaxed I can feel about that drive just because he is NOT at sea. My folks are ok so far. We still have power (obviously lol). I keep thinking about the people south of us. They are being hammered. It all is pretty mild compared to what some of you Floridians and south coast people go through periodically.

Nan

It's crazy out there. Schools are closed today and tomorrow. Trains and buses are shut down - so most of the city had to be as well, since that's how most people get around. Trees are down everywhere - one fell onto my neighbor's car. I keep hearing sirens. But it's the wind that's the scariest. It's so loud. Some parts of the neighborhood have been evacuated, but we're fine so far. Lots of power outages, too. The rain isn't bad, but the storm is making landfall right at high tide, so many parts of NYC are flooded badly.

Hanging out here is S. NJ...about 55 miles from Atlantic City. So far lots of rain, hard wind.

University I work for shut down today and tomorrow. There is no mass transportation anyway, so I would not have been able to get in. Most major highways and roads are closed, don't know if the bridges will close or not.

We still have power, but not sure how long that will last...we have food, water, etc. We will probably have a family movie marathon for as long as the power lasts.

Prayers for safety for all!

~coffee~

One of our fosters is driving himself back home (to here) from NC right now.

Nan

If he didn't get through PA by 7pm, he may not make it tonight. Eastern highways closed in PA at that point. I can't imagine NJ has theirs open, but I don't know for certain. The local news told us about PA's closing. I haven't seen it on national news.

No matter what, I hope he stays safe.

Take care all. We're fairly close to the eye now - our barometer shows a VERY low pressure - 28.something. It's not calibrated, so may not be accurate, but still, it's pretty low compared to normal. It dropped half a point in the past hour or so.

The barometer was 28.4 at our last mark. Now it's 28.3. It's amazing how quickly it's dropping. If I'd thought about it, we should have filled a balloon and watched the expansion. Oh well. I don't think we've done an eye before. We've been close, but not quite in it. This time they have it going directly over us soon. We'll know if they're right if we get a drop in the wind for a short spell.

Since we're not experiencing damage and still have power, I'll admit it is kind of fun/interesting. However, I say with the tempered feelings of knowing others don't have it quite so easy and will have a bit of cleanup... I definitely mean no disrespect. It could just as easily be us - and who knows - with power it still could be. The winds are still out there...

Take care all.

Glad you made it home safely, Kathy! I just got up about half an hour ago. We never lost power (so far), and the news is saying the eye went a little bit south of us, so we missed that too. Hubby's low mark on the barometer is at 28.2. Now it's back up to 28.4, so the eye isn't too far away. We are getting heavy rain and wind right now from a backside band and it's definitely colder out. Once it gets light I plan to go out and assess things. The local news has several roads closed all around. They also just said there's about 80,000 households with power out in their viewing area (fairly large area since we're semi-rural).

It's sad to see the major damage in NY/NJ and elsewhere. I really, really hope all are safe.

How are all of you doing this morning. It feels weird to see your nasty weather when ours has been perfect here! Praying everyone is ok!

You and I posted at the same time (yes, I got up late this morning with school canceled and a late night last night). My update is at the end of page 4...

I'll be checking in to see how others made out.

The winds subsided overnight, and everything in the yard looks OK. We lost a big tree in last October's freak snow storm, so we don't have many left now.

Our power was out for about an hour yesterday afternoon, but it's been on since then, so I think we've been pretty lucky.

I think most of the damage around here has been to people who live right along the ocean.

Brenda

Edited by Brenda in MA

Has anyone heard from Jane, Janice, or Nan this morning?

Faith

Back in NC. My flights were surprisingly smooth. Delta was doing a great job of moving people who could be moved but the two planes that I traveled on were practically empty. Boy will there be a bottleneck when DC and NY airports open again!

Has anyone heard from Jane, Janice, or Nan this morning?

Faith

We finally have power back. Cc was canceled for two days. It was a bit chilly but not enough to light the woodstove and make the stuff in the fridge warmer lol. Luckily, hurricanes are tropical. Foster son got home safely. We lost a few 6 or 8" trees and it was pretty scary watching the others in the wind but other than that, we were fine. Looks like NY and NJ are a mess. I hope everyone there is ok.

Nan