Menu

Homeschool storm prep

You're not doing laundry like a maniac prior to the storm?? When we know a whopper of a snow storm is coming, I wash everything in the house because I know we'll be bundled up, under the covers. :D

:lol: I am too. Other than that, really, not much has changed. My neighbor called today and asked if we wanted to come over on Monday or Tuesday to play, because the kids would be home and she knew it was going to be a loooooong few days. I was like, "Um, well, it's going to be pretty much business as usual for us. We still have schoolwork to do unless the roof caves in!"

If I do any more laundry this weekend, I might die!

We really need to up our insurance. When we bought our policy, we weren't homeschooling yet (and I had 2 fewer kids!) The thought of having to replace curricula, supplies, equipment, etc. collected over 6 years... :001_huh: That's a big chunk of change!

Of course, I just realized that today!

But money cannot replace the work they've already done this year. I'm so proud of myself, lol.

My neighbor called today and asked if we wanted to come over on Monday or Tuesday to play, because the kids would be home and she knew it was going to be a loooooong few days. I was like, "Um, well, it's going to be pretty much business as usual for us. We still have schoolwork to do unless the roof caves in!"

When I told DS13 that my school had already closed for Monday and Tuesday he asked if I thought homeschool might also be closed. :lol: I said exactly what you did. He was less than thrilled.

If I do any more laundry this weekend, I might die!

We really need to up our insurance. When we bought our policy, we weren't homeschooling yet (and I had 2 fewer kids!) The thought of having to replace curricula, supplies, equipment, etc. collected over 6 years... :001_huh: That's a big chunk of change!

Of course, I just realized that today!

But money cannot replace the work they've already done this year. I'm so proud of myself, lol.

Can you get a rider for homeschool curriculum? I know we have one on my guitar and wedding ring, but never thought about my books. That would be a big chunk of change. I'm not even sure I'd remember just what I had that needed to be replaced.

:lol: I am too. Other than that, really, not much has changed. My neighbor called today and asked if we wanted to come over on Monday or Tuesday to play, because the kids would be home and she knew it was going to be a loooooong few days. I was like, "Um, well, it's going to be pretty much business as usual for us. We still have schoolwork to do unless the roof caves in!"

NYC just announced they are closing their schools. My town just announced they are closing their schools. So the "principal" has declared a no school day tomorrow (except for studying for an upcoming science mid-term). :001_smile:

FYI, my 14yo dd is planning on appealing to FEMA for a mandatory break for homeschoolers if a state of emergency has been called.:glare:

She said she wants to panic, worry, fret, pace, and generally participate in the emergency like everyone else. She says reading quality literature in the midst of a crisis really cuts back on her overall disaster experience. What a whiner!:tongue_smilie:

Can you get a rider for homeschool curriculum? I know we have one on my guitar and wedding ring, but never thought about my books. That would be a big chunk of change. I'm not even sure I'd remember just what I had that needed to be replaced.

I don't know, but I counted over 800 books that I DON'T consider "curricula". And that doesn't include any in storage. I'm guessing the average replacement cost is $8-9 each? Since we're all prepped, I started a list of "actual" school book titles. I'm too afraid to add up listprice in dh's presence. We have K-7th materials, plus some higher!

I was expecting to see photos of bookcases and boxes of books Saran and bubble wrapped and duct taped for safety.

Or better yet!

Wrap them in something water resistant, box them up and fed ex them to someone in a fair weather state!

We do have two tarps on stand-by! ;)

Dh has a friend who owns a document drying center, so I'm not actually all that concerned. :D

But I really wish we had done a full roof replacement instead of patching!

We won't be doing any school for at least the next two days. For one, I didn't do any planning since we've been doing storm prep instead. For another, It's almost a guarantee that we will lose power. Pushing the kids to do school work when there's no power isn't worth the aggravation it would cause.

You're not doing laundry like a maniac prior to the storm?? When we know a whopper of a snow storm is coming, I wash everything in the house because I know we'll be bundled up, under the covers. :D

A friend and I decided we were doing unnecessary laundry because, like bread, milk and TP during a snow storm, we seem to think we use more kitchen towels in a hurricane. ;)

I'm baking bread & went to the store for foods we can eat without cooking. Schools are closed tomorrow (2 of mind go to ps for high school). But, wow, I'd better get hopping on the laundry. We're out of range for the worst of it, but might have power outages. I'm glad we live well out of any flood zone--we've never had a drop even in record breaking rains we've had over the past few years.

The university cancelled classes for Monday and Tuesday so The Boy and The Girlfriend are here for the duration. Dd17's school is closed tomorrow and Tuesday. Dd12 has been campaigning all day for two days off school!

If we lose power there will be no schoolwork. If we don't I'll just have her do maths and maybe some science :)

Nono, are you evacuating?? Stay safe!!

Not currently. We are technically on our own now, as mandatory evacuation has gone into effect. We had a family meeting to go over the rules. No using knives to cut anything. No wrestling, etc. We don't need services any other day. This is NOT the day to do something that would need them.

We are watching our high tide tonight carefully. Not cavalier here. Just thinking that we may end up in better shape than inland does. If signs are we won't, we can still leave. We prep a go bag for every storm, but not sure exactly where to go with this one! So, for now, the plan is to stay.

Not currently. We are technically on our own now, as mandatory evacuation has gone into effect. We had a family meeting to go over the rules. No using knives to cut anything. No wrestling, etc. We don't need services any other day. This is NOT the day to do something that would need them.

We are watching our high tide tonight carefully. Not cavalier here. Just thinking that we may end up in better shape than inland does. If signs are we won't, we can still leave. We prep a go bag for every storm, but not sure exactly where to go with this one! So, for now, the plan is to stay.

Thinking of you. :grouphug: Jack Daniels' smoothies maybe? :)

We got a full day of school in. :) I know it looks awful, even on our island. But so far, we're not flooded.

Hats off to Atlantic City Electric and the Orange and Rockland guys who restrung us in the bitter winter after the whole island was blown to shreds in a surprise blizzard/noreaster 3 1/2 year ago. We've had power all day.

What a bonus.