Menu

What to wear help!

What does a size 12 middle aged woman wear to an evening wedding and reception (dinner and dancing) when the date is between Christmas and New Year's. Keep in mind it will be cold with snow on the ground and possibly icy.

I generally shop at Macy's but can have something shipped from Belk if there is enough time.

I don't think my little black dress is appropriate to a wedding.

Help!

ETA: While we are at it I need something for this year's Chirstmas party. I've worn the same (above referenced) dress two years in a row.

I have the equivalent of a little black dress that is red and would probably wear that even if it's cold. I would probably have a sweater/scarf just in case it's cool during dinner but I wouldn't dress overly warm because I'd assume it would be hot while dancing.

If it is in the evening there will probably be people wearing black as well. In general, people seem more relaxed about what to wear these days.

Well, I'm too old for dancing. It just isn't done after about age 40 around here.

Really? Why? :confused:

My whole family loves to dance - my grandmother could dance a mean Charleston well into her 70s!! My mom & dad jitterbugged their way across many, many dance floors until my dad passed away at 75.

My sister, her kids, me, my mom...we all danced a lot at my niece's wedding last year.

Do you live in a very small town? I wonder if that has something to do with it. I've always lived in fair-to-big cities.

Just curious!

Really? Why? :confused:

My whole family loves to dance - my grandmother could dance a mean Charleston well into her 70s!! My mom & dad jitterbugged their way across many, many dance floors until my dad passed away at 75.

My sister, her kids, me, my mom...we all danced a lot at my niece's wedding last year.

Do you live in a very small town? I wonder if that has something to do with it. I've always lived in fair-to-big cities.

Just curious!

Yes. I'm in a small town in the middle of nowhere. The last wedding I went to there was no one under 30 dancing.

Id just go to the goodwill and get a cocktail type dress im comfy in!

For my BFFs sisters wedding I wore a purple and black polka dotted cocktail dress. Similar to this but with polka dots

I don't have a goodwill locally. By the time I spend $50 in gas to drive to the goodwill in Bangor I might as well buy a new dress.

That's sad. Around here, the older people all dance and they are usually better than the young people!

How about something like this? Not sure about the bOOk wrap part, but it looks holiday-ish and would work for a wedding.

I saw that one and wondered the exact same thing. I think the upper part would cause the pudge to be defined in a way I'd like to avoid.

Yes. I'm in a small town in the middle of nowhere. The last wedding I went to there was no one under 30 dancing.

:blink:

So what if no one else over 30 dances??? There were probably other adults wishing they could dance and they were just waiting for someone to start. Be bold! Be outstanding! Be the one!!!

:D

I love that one in the eggplant! I think that would be completely appropriate, and still allow movement to dance.

I also like that bright red one, but it would depend on how it fits.

For me, at almost 50, the first one would hide things I want hidden, and accentuate things I want noticed. Not sure what the latter would be, though....:lol:

Wear a colorful, fringe-y shawl over the little black dress.

Or if you don't feel comfortable with that, any nice dress will do. That it's December and an evening wedding is irrelevant. :) I'd go for something calf-length, with a nice dressy shoe, and a matching handbag.

Is this too frumpy? Old lady-ish? I like it in the eggplant.

How about this one?

Will this one be too horrible with a bit of pudge?

I LOVE the first two, and with the second one the jacket will likely get worn separately. In fact, a nice black pant to match the jacket, and a pretty (Christmas) tank or blouse in red would be lovely for the party!

How about this one?

I like 1 & 2 (and I am over 40, but under 50) # 1 could def. be considered old ladyish.

I do like #3 but I don't think it would look right on my body type.

As for dancing, if you feel like dancing get up and dance. You should not let the fact that no one else your age is dancing stop you from doing what you want. You know what they say..dance like nobody is watching.

I don't think my little black dress is appropriate to a wedding.

Help!

ETA: While we are at it I need something for this year's Chirstmas party. I've worn the same (above referenced) dress two years in a row.

I was going to suggest a black cocktail dress for the wedding. You could get a new one.

How about this one?

I think they're all too old. I don't think anyone under 70 should be wearing them.

Sorry. :tongue_smilie:

There was one red dress at Bloomingdale's that I liked and it was in my price range but not my size range.

I've looked at Macy's, Dillard's, Belk, Bloomingdale's. Where else should I try?

I would go back in a few weeks. I almost always buy dresses at Macy's, they will have many, many more out closer to the middle of November for holiday parties.

Or if you don't feel comfortable with that, any nice dress will do. That it's December and an evening wedding is irrelevant. :) I'd go for something calf-length, with a nice dressy shoe, and a matching handbag.

:iagree: I would wear a simple black cocktail dress with a pretty wrap (maybe burnout velvet) or a velvet jacket (they have those at Macy's, not usually in the dress department).

I think at least #1 looks old ladyish....sorry.:)

I would choose something more along the lines of this. You can always wear Spanx to pull in a pooch.;)

With a strappy sandal like on the model, a bracelet, cocktail ring and clutch for a bag. :)

:iagree:

I think at least #1 looks old ladyish....sorry.:)

I would choose something more along the lines of this. You can always wear Spanx to pull in a pooch.;)

With a strappy sandal like on the model, a bracelet, cocktail ring and clutch for a bag. :)

That is lovely, but the only size is 14. It would be a tad too big.

I LOVE the first two, and with the second one the jacket will likely get worn separately. In fact, a nice black pant to match the jacket, and a pretty (Christmas) tank or blouse in red would be lovely for the party!

You are just going to have to come up and meet me in Bangor. I wonder if I can talk dh into going all the way to your mall.

How about this one?

The dress from Macy's is too long for anyone under 80. :D

The one from Belk is very nice. You seem very understated classic, and I would pick that's what you'd be most comfortable in.

The one from Dillard's is cut to be especially forgiving. It will skim over pudge. :001_smile::001_smile: It seems a bit younger, and more informal than what I'd imagine your taste to be in this situation, but I like that one the best and I'd pick it for you.

I wore this one in Sept in the PNW and it wouldn't be very warm for your time frame but I loved wearing it. It is dance-worthy too, I marched out to the dance floor and rocked it! :lol:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/patra-embellished-knot-front-mesh-dress/3340244?origin=keywordsearch&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=555

I'm a dress size 8/10 but it has a sheath underneath that is very comfortable and then the sequin layer offers some "camouflage" for any pudgy areas. Unfortuately the dress is simply non-washable...do not wash, dry clean, nothing :001_huh:

I wore this one in Sept in the PNW and it wouldn't be very warm for your time frame but I loved wearing it. It is dance-worthy too, I marched out to the dance floor and rocked it! :lol:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/patra-embellished-knot-front-mesh-dress/3340244?origin=keywordsearch&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=555

I'm a dress size 8/10 but it has a sheath underneath that is very comfortable and then the sequin layer offers some "camouflage" for any pudgy areas. Unfortuately the dress is simply non-washable...do not wash, dry clean, nothing :001_huh:

That is lovely. It is just out of my price range. Maybe it will go on sale.

Can't dry clean it? Wow.

I love this brand dress! It's a beautiful dark purple that is wedding friendly and holiday worthy. The pleats are very flattering.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/adrianna-papell-pleated-jersey-sheath-dress/3408400?origin=PredictiveSearch&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=Burgundy&resultback=6327

Also - Nordstrom has free shipping and free returns.

I love this brand dress! It's a beautiful dark purple that is wedding friendly and holiday worthy. The pleats are very flattering.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/adrianna-papell-pleated-jersey-sheath-dress/3408400?origin=PredictiveSearch&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=Burgundy&resultback=6327

Also - Nordstrom has free shipping and free returns.

That is lovely. But those horizontal pleats will make me look huge.