Menu

$100 or under - what would you buy for YOU? I need bday gift ideas!

I think I struggle with this EVERY year - and I KNOW I've asked similar questions - even recently, but I'm asking again :) My birthday is in 3.5wk (election day) & my mom asked me for a few ideas on Thursday. I told her I'd have to get back to her. I can't think of anything. The only things I REALLY want....are big (iPad - haha!, new camera, lenses, etc) and I wouldn't even think about asking for them!

I'm not big into lotions/soaps/bath stuff. Clothing doesn't make sense with a growing belly (eventually - it will grow, right? lol). I don't do well with giftcards - I can't ever decide what to spend them on & they just sit there.

Kitchen gadgets that are just fun to have? I was thinking maybe a rice cooker? I have a nice coffee maker (last year's bday present), a griddle, waffle iron, quesadilla maker (Christmas present), and an ice cream maker (mother's day). What about attachments for my Kitchen Aid stand mixer? I only have the basics that came with it. What would be fun/useful?

What about household gadgets that make your life easier, or are just fun? I'm thinking maybe a small spot type carpet cleaner would be nice....we have almost ALL carpet and are messy. Hmm....we'd like to get rid of all the carpet sometime soon though, so that may not be a good investment for the long term.

There is a Thirty One bag that I kinda want, but I'm not sure on that yet.....I more want it as a diaper bag for the baby, so I may wait until I can put his/her name on it. I've got enough purses/shoes/jewelry - not really big into all that anyway. And, my mom sells Mary Kay and gives me all makeup for free (not that I've worn any in months).

I love to cuddle up on the couch, but I have quite a few pairs of pajama pants and lots of fuzzy blankets. I almost always sit with my feet tucked up under me, so slippers don't make a whole lot of sense - and I have a pair anyway.

I NEVER buy anything for myself, so I try to make birthdays/Christmas about fun things I wouldn't otherwise get to have/buy, but I just feel clueless. So.....your best "spoil me" fun things.....ready, set, go....!

This year I want some new boots. I want camel colored military boots. I'm going to have to order online and most places are selling out of my size at the price point I need. I've looked obsessively at them for the last few weeks.

Other things on my wish list are a nice grilling pan. I have a nice set of dishes and I would like the grill pan that goes with the set, it's about 40.00.

I'd also like some nice conditioner for my hair.

I'd also like a nice back door mat. We have one that was left with the house, it's worthless and ugly. Everyone uses the back door, it would be nice to have a mat that reflects how I feel about our house, not just ugly.

What about a foot or back massager?

My birthday is on the same day, and I'm in almost the exact same predicament. :) I really just don't want anything. So far, I've thought of a charm for my bracelet and a scarf. I could also use some new gloves and warm socks.

Exciting, huh?:lol: Everyone around here keeps asking me if I've ordered my birthday presents yet...:001_huh: We also leave for Disney the next day.

Chunky warm scarves for winter or Ugg boots. I just bought knock offs at Costco and they are like heaven on your feet.

Or a new purse/bag? They have some really nice modern "diaper" type bags these days.

Kitchen stuff is always nice. Do you want any cookware?

What about a spa day for when you are feeling better?

Not a bad idea, but for some reason, this doesn't even sound remotely appealing right now. Maybe because I can't hardly stand anybody touching me right now.

This year I want some new boots. I want camel colored military boots. I'm going to have to order online and most places are selling out of my size at the price point I need. I've looked obsessively at them for the last few weeks.

Other things on my wish list are a nice grilling pan. I have a nice set of dishes and I would like the grill pan that goes with the set, it's about 40.00.

I'd also like some nice conditioner for my hair.

I'd also like a nice back door mat. We have one that was left with the house, it's worthless and ugly. Everyone uses the back door, it would be nice to have a mat that reflects how I feel about our house, not just ugly.

What about a foot or back massager?

The massager idea isn't bad.....but then I'd have to find a place to keep it, lol!

My birthday is on the same day, and I'm in almost the exact same predicament. :) I really just don't want anything. So far, I've thought of a charm for my bracelet and a scarf. I could also use some new gloves and warm socks.

Exciting, huh?:lol: Everyone around here keeps asking me if I've ordered my birthday presents yet...:001_huh: We also leave for Disney the next day.

Aww! Happy early birthday! I thought about a cute necklace bracelet thing off Etsy....something like THIS, but I'd really need to wait until the baby is here to do that.

Pottery class and yarn. :) That would do it for me!

Yarn might be an idea - you know for my new crocheting hobby. Although, it seems like a bit of a waste right now, because I don't know how to make anything, lol!

Chunky warm scarves for winter or Ugg boots. I just bought knock offs at Costco and they are like heaven on your feet.

Or a new purse/bag? They have some really nice modern "diaper" type bags these days.

Kitchen stuff is always nice. Do you want any cookware?

I got a pair of Bear Paws last year! LOVE them! I literally lived in them from Nov-March last year.

I like kitchen gadgets and tools - fun things that aren't necessary, but are fun. I'm just not sure what I want or am missing out on??

What would make your life easier? That would be a gift that keeps on giving...

Boy...that's the question of the century. I really don't know. A maid and a chef? Lol.

I usually ask for kitchen stuff (stoneware bread pans, utensils, MATCHING silverware, things that aren't really necessary but make me happy or are easier and get a lot of use), Clothes, I loathe clothes shopping so for me this is things like a new winter coat that I'm too cheap to buy myself, a pair of shoes (I own 3 pair of crocs and wear them for about 5 years and then replace the set), etc. This year I'll probably ask for nursing bras because well I'm rather large chested and a decent bra is $35-40 dollars each and since baby is unexpected I didn't save any of that stuff. (My mom has me go buy something and then I give her the receipt and she hands me the cash for whatever I bought).

So basically it's practical stuff, but stuff that will help me out as well.

Considering your current state of sickness and my guess is your energy isn't going to bounce back immediately after months of not being able to do much, I would ask for meals. Homemade freezer meals if that is her rhelm of ability, or a gift card to one of those places where you assemble and freeze them (the ones around here have special baby packages so you don't have to actually go assemble them), or gift cards to local restuarants that have decent takeout.

Sorry no fun ideas but my husband always tells me my brain is set to the default of practical and anything else is beyond me.

Do you have a Kindle? I would get the new basic kindle with the reading light. I have the $79 version and have 165+ free books on there from Amazon. I always have something to read and have read a lot of books I would have never heard about or seen at the library. I didn't think I would like one but I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine.

Are there any books that you would want? A magazine subscription? When I had HG my favorite gifts were things like that, because I spent a lot of time on the couch, feeling bad. :( A kindle or some ebooks would be nice, if you don't already have one.

My husband bought me a gift card for a massage and pedicure to have after baby came and at the time I didn't really care, but it was an awesome treat after baby was born. Quite a bit later, but it still was nice.

Another thing you will need soon is some maternity wear. I liked to get at least one nice staple piece of clothing so I could sort of feel good and put together when leaving the house. A nice sweater, a good pair of jeans, whatever it is you like to wear. It is something I hated to spend money on myself, but would love to receive as a gift.

Hope you are feeling better soon, you may get lucky and not have the HG last for months. :group hug: :001_smile:

Kristin, we share a birthday, remember?!

Yay! Um, I think I'm turning a few years older than you this year, but whatever. :glare: :D

Some ideas I had from reading your OP:

Perfume. Maybe you're not a perfume gal? I love my Romance by Ralph Lauren perfume, but I NEVER buy it for myself; it's just so 'frivolous' and, well, pricey, :D, that I can't bring myself to buy it all for myself. My dh gets it for me as a gift sometimes (birthday, Mother's Day, etc.) Maybe you have a favorite scent, or would like to pick one?

A KitchenAid attachment is a good idea. I don't have any, but I've always thought they'd be fun. They've got all sorts of things in all sorts of price ranges; food grider, pasta makers, grain mill. Amazon's prices are WAY better than directly from the KitchenAid site. Oh! If you keep your mixer out on the counter, Amazon has all sorts of nice covers, in all sorts of colors. Very cute, and will keep your mixer clean if you do store it 'out'.

Whatever you choose, pick something you want, but would never buy for yourself. That makes it a TRUE gift, you know?

Books. It's always books.

I've been wanting a new purse, but:

a) I could buy four or five of them for $100, and I use only one at a time.

b) I like to pick out stuff like that for myself.

I'm on my way down again, weight wise, and I'd love to be able to reward myself with a couple of new-to-me items when I reach my goal. But both of the above apply there, too.

So, yeah, books. iTunes cards for new music, since I always feel guilty buying.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot that I'm gently hinting to my family that I would like bird feeders to hang in the yard in front of the window where I sit at my desk. My son and I were browsing a PetSmart a couple of weeks ago, killing time, and I was thinking how much I love watching the butterflies in the yard and how cool it would be to add a hummingbird feeder and/or a traditional one. I remarked how much I'd like one or both for Christmas, but it would work just as well for my birthday (which is coming up soon, too). I have to tread very carefully, since in this family too much hinting means the gift giver won't feel like the gift is a surprise and takes it off the list. So, the art is to make it clear how much one would love to have something like that, without ever making it sound like one thinks there is a remote possibility of ever getting one. I'll let you know if I did it right this time.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

• Starbucks gift card
  • Massage
  • Mani/pedi
  • Gift card to Amazon, B&N, BooksAMillion (etc)
  • Dinner gift card
  • Omaha Steaks (yes, I'd share, but steak is MY favorite)
  • Movie "out" night with tickets, snack out after
  • New accessories (jewelry, scarf)
  • Car detailing
  • One time housecleaning

binoculars (well, this is on my list, so I just stuck it in)

fluffy terry cloth bathrobe

nice desk accessories

storage things from the Container Store (fancy, not utilitarian)

magazine subscriptions?

framed print (botanical, that sort of thing)

Edited by Alessandra