Menu

keeping track of books you want to read

I am curious how others keep track of books they want to read. I have tried Goodreads but don't really love the system, but can see promise if I commit to it. I guess what I really want is a way to organize them by topic/theme/genre/etc. and be able to easily find the list...

Something like Shelfari would work because you can tag a book with as many terms as you want. Then you can sort through your books by clicking on tags. If you click just to-read you'll see all the books marked to-read, but you can also click to-read and history/fantasy/whatever and see only books with both or all tags you clicked. Goodreads I like for other reasons - more people are on it, better recommendations, lots of good reviews - but I haven't seen a way to sort through my books by choosing books that are on both shelf A and shelf B.

I keep several private amazon wishlists of books I'd like to read. That works for me.

I've tried several things.

Journal~I had to have it handy. Was always losing it.

Amazon wishlists~I have to be on the computer when I learn about a book, which I generally am. Its nice to have public lists (for others to buy from) and private lists (which may be library book worthy). They also have a great search function if I'm only half sure of the name, customer reviews, and browsing for similar subjects.

PaperbackSwap list~Only holds 200 requests but I like to put books I really want on this list. Not great for library or sorta-interested lists.

Shelfari~This is a lot like GoodReads and LibraryThing (with no shelf limits). I can keep my home collection, books I'm reading, books I'd going to read, but I'm just not on here that much anymore.

Library Lists~My library's website includes a way to request Holds and a way to make Lists for future check out. You can put an item on hold straight from the list. It can also be easily accessed at home. Very handy, but to get on takes my library card number (which I haven't completely memorized) so its hard to do this whenever I'm online. It would take finding my purse, finding my card, and then logging it all in. :tongue_smilie:

My brain~I used to hold this one in higher regard. Still this is my go-to when I'm out and about and I hear something interesting. I also depend on serendipity for a lot of my books and my brain starts to itch a bit when something looks or sounds familiar.

The Amazon list is the easiest to use. The search functions are really handy and I find new books similar to the ones I'm looking for with the browsing function.

I've tried several things.

Journal~I had to have it handy. Was always losing it.

Amazon wishlists~I have to be on the computer when I learn about a book, which I generally am. Its nice to have public lists (for others to buy from) and private lists (which may be library book worthy). They also have a great search function if I'm only half sure of the name, customer reviews, and browsing for similar subjects.

PaperbackSwap list~Only holds 200 requests but I like to put books I really want on this list. Not great for library or sorta-interested lists.

Shelfari~This is a lot like GoodReads and LibraryThing (with no shelf limits). I can keep my home collection, books I'm reading, books I'd going to read, but I'm just not on here that much anymore.

Library Lists~My library's website includes a way to request Holds and a way to make Lists for future check out. You can put an item on hold straight from the list. It can also be easily accessed at home. Very handy, but to get on takes my library card number (which I haven't completely memorized) so its hard to do this whenever I'm online. It would take finding my purse, finding my card, and then logging it all in. :tongue_smilie:

My brain~I used to hold this one in higher regard. Still this is my go-to when I'm out and about and I hear something interesting. I also depend on serendipity for a lot of my books and my brain starts to itch a bit when something looks or sounds familiar.

The Amazon list is the easiest to use. The search functions are really handy and I find new books similar to the ones I'm looking for with the browsing function.

I have my library card number taped to my computer!

Guest inoubliable

Amazon wishlists. Hands down.

I tried LibraryThing years ago. Meh. Used Collectorz. Meh. Goodreads, PaperbackSwap, Shelfari.

I found that if I found out about a book that I would want to read, I immediately went to Amazon to price it. And then throw it in my cart. Which meant that I was editing my cart every payday to get the biggest box delivered by Saturday, possible. (But that's a whole 'nother problem, isn't it?) If I was going to Amazon to check out prices and manipulate my book addiction fix...I figured that I might as well set up wishlists and keep it all in the same place. So now I have several wishlists set up. Bday list/holiday list, current school year, personal, future school year... it may have gotten a little out of hand. I also like to keep priority items in my Saved Cart. That way I can monitor price changes.

Wow.... um. I can't believe I just typed all that out...

I guess that really only works if you're online often enough to update and check on books/prices, and you're ordering almost exclusively from Amazon.

I have a 3-ring binder that has all the books I've read and a list of authors I like. I also have a list of books I'd like to read. I'm old-fashioned like that.

:iagree:

I keep a small notebook that lists both books I've read, as well as books I'd like to read. I do have some marked on amazon lists & on Goodreads, but overall, I try to keep my lists relatively small (maybe 200 want-to-read books). Realistically, in a good year, I'll read approx. 60 books. I hear of/see new books often, so my numbers could skyrocket as to what I add. But, I really try to keep it manageable & periodically go through the lists & delete items that I've either read or later decided I wasn't that interested in after all. I figure having a wish list that could keep me going for a few years is enough. By that time, my interests may change, there may be new books out that I would have added in the meantime, etc....

Once in awhile, I'll go through my lists, request a bunch from the library & get them. I'll either read them, start & ditch them, or just not even open them at all. I edit my lists accordingly at that point.

I guess my point is that while I enjoy my list (prefer the written one over the electronic ones), I don't want to feel tied down to trying to complete a list. I like having it for reference, but not in overwhelming form; and I also like having freedom to pick things up on a whim (even if it's not on my list).

Just my little, slightly off-topic, two cents.... LOL.