Menu

I need chocolate cake recipe ideas...

I'm looking for a really, truly impressive chocolate cake recipe. It needs to be an Internet recipe, and it must have pictures that I can see before trying the recipe.

It needs to be something where if a big slice was brought to you in a fancy restaurant, you'd be astonished, delighted, and drooling. :drool5:

So, I need a tall chocolate layer cake. Bonus points if there's multiple chocolate flavors (maybe in different layers, or different fillings).

The sky's the limit! I'm looking for really OVER THE TOP chocolate layer cakes. :bigear:

p.s. I do have recipes that I love, but I'm just bored with them. ;)

I can't help you on all your points, but let me just say that the chocolate cake recipe on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa can (Perfect Chocolate Cake) is my way-out-in-front favorite now. It turns out perfect, it's fairly easy to do and it tastes SO good.

I can't help you on all your points, but let me just say that the chocolate cake recipe on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa can (Perfect Chocolate Cake) is my way-out-in-front favorite now. It turns out perfect, it's fairly easy to do and it tastes SO good.

:iagree:

I just substitute the water with coffee, and dust the cake with combo of powder sugar and chocolate power :drool5:

This particular site has no photos, but it is based on the Death By Chocolate cake from The Trellis and plenty of people on the Internet have taken pics (edited because my phone changed that to pickers, lol) of it. ;)

http://baking.food.com/recipe/death-by-chocolate-a-la-trellis-356724

I eaten this a few times and made it once in 1988. It is definitely impressive. It also takes a very long time to make.

:iagree:

So yummy! You could play with the frosting or using regular cocoa power or dark chocolate powder.

http://www.hersheys.com/pure-recipes/details.aspx?id=184&name=HERSHEY%27S+%22PERFECTLY+CHOCOLATE%22+Chocolate+Cake#share_modal

I use the Crazy Cake recipe on allrecipes.com:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/crazy-cake/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=crazy%20cake&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

But I mix it in a bowl with a mixer like I would with any other cake, and I substitute special dark cocoa in place of the regular cocoa, and coffee in place of the water. And I double the vanilla.

For frosting, I use the Wilton Chocolate Buttercream recipe from their website - the one with cocoa, but I use special dark cocoa and some coffee in that too.

To make it layer cake, I use springform pans and partially freeze the cakes before frosting and layering them.

If you want to get fancier, you can put strawberry glaze or cool whip in the middle with some frosting between the layers, and put some chocolate shavings or berries on top.

The Tuxedo Cake is VERY impressive and tastes awesome. I've made it twice now for special occasions and both times people thought I had bought it from a specialty bakery. I found the picture that I have:

1zf6k2t.jpg

* Exported from MasterCook *

Tuxedo Cake with Whipped Cream Frosting and Chocolate Glaze

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Cakes & Frostings

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

CAKE

1 cup unsalted butter -- (2 sticks)

2 cups water

1 cup canola oil

4 cups sugar

1 cup high-quality unsweetened cocoa powder

4 cups all purpose flour

4 large eggs

1 cup buttermilk

1 tablespoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING:

4 cups chilled heavy whipping cream

1 1/4 cups powdered sugar

CHOCOLATE GLAZE:

4 ounces high-quality bittersweet chocolate -- chopped into small pieces

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

1/4 cup Lyle's Golden Syrup*

2 teaspoons vanilla

To make the cake:

For a 3-layer cake, place one baking rack one -third from the bottom of the oven and the second two-thirds from the bottom. Preheat the oven to 350F. Line the bottom of three 9-inch or two 10- inch cake pans with parchment paper rounds, grease with butter, and dust with flour (or spray with Baker's Joy).

Combine the butter, water, and canola oil in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, cocoa, and flour. Pour the butter mixture into the sugar mixture and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, then whisk in the buttermilk. Whisk in the baking soda, salt, and vanilla all at once. Transfer the batter to the prepared pans.

For a 3-layer cake, stagger the cake layers on the oven racks so that no layer is directly over another. Set two layers on one rack and the third on the other.

For a 2-layer cake, stagger the layers on the middle rack with one placed more toward the front of the oven and one toward the back.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of each layer comes out clean. Monitor the layers carefully for doneness; each one maybe done at a different time.

Remove the cakes from the oven and cool on racks for about 15 minutes before inverting onto baking racks. Cool the cakes completely, at least 2 hours, before frosting.

To make the frosting:

Using a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the cream in a large bowl on high speed until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and whip until thoroughly combined.

Place 1 cake layer on a platter and spread some of the frosting over the top. Top with the remaining layer or layers, thickly coating the top and sides of each with frosting.

Refrigerate the cake until the whipped cream frosting has stabilized, at least 1 hour.

To make the glaze:

Place the chocolate in a medium bowl. Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until it is very hot and just beginning to steam. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and stir until it has melted completely. Stir in the syrup and vanilla. Pour the glaze into a medium pitcher or measuring cup and let cool for 10 minutes. Do not let the glaze sit longer because it will stiffen and become difficult to pour over the cake. Slowly pour the glaze over the cake, ensuring that it covers the top and drizzles down the sides. Cover the top of the cake entirely, but make sure some of the cream frosting shows through the drizzles on the sides. (If the glaze doesn't flow easily over the edge of the cake don't be afraid to add an extra tablespoon or two of Lyle's Golden Syrup.)

Refrigerate the cake until the glaze is set and the whipped cream frosting is firm, at least 1 hour. Slice the cake with a long serrated knife, dipping it in a tall glass of hot water between each slice. The refrigerated cake will keep for about 2 days.

Tip:

Whipped cream usually begins to separate shortly after it has been beaten. The secret to this frosting, and its stability, is the powdered sugar. Powdered sugar has added cornstarch, which stabilizes the cream. This cake sat on my counter on a warm spring night for more than 30 minutes and still looked as good as it had just after icing.

* Lyle's Golden Syrup, imported from Britain, is a pure cane sugar syrup with a mild caramel flavor. It is widely available in grocery stores.

Yield: 12 to 14 servings

Description:

"This is the birthday cake of choice for many of my customers and the best-selling cake in the bakery. I made it for the daughter of Hollywood actress Madeleine Stowe, who owns a ranch near Fredericksburg. She loved it so much she wanted one for her own

birthday. One small detail: she was celebrating in California. I froze the cake solid, wrapped it in multiple layers of plastic wrap and foil, packed it in dry ice, sent it via overnight mail, and held my breath. I heard she was happy with it."

Source:

"The Pastry Queen by Rebecca Rather, Alison Oresman"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Edited by Stacy in WA

Here's another impressive cake that I've made. It originally came from Bon appetit so the recipe is online. Here are a couple of pics:

5z85s.jpg

ridncj.jpg

Cuban Opera Cake

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00

CAKE

4 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate -- chopped

2 cups all purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 cups golden brown sugar -- (packed)

1/2 cup unsalted butter -- (1 stick) room temperature

3 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

4 large eggs

1 cup sour cream

1/2 cup creme de cacao

1/2 cup freshly brewed coffee -- lukewarm

BUTTERCREAM

8 ounces imported milk chocolate -- chopped

1/2 cup sugar

4 large egg yolks

2 tablespoons water

2 tablespoons light corn syrup

3/4 cup unsalted butter -- (1 1/2 sticks) room temperature

COFFEE MOUSSE

1/2 cup half and half

4 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoon instant espresso powder or coffee powder

4 large egg yolks

1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin softened in 1 tablespoon water 10 minutes

1 cup chilled whipping cream

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

CHOCOLATE GLAZE

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 cup water

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

12 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate -- chopped

FOR CAKE: Preheat oven to 325 �F. Butter two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides: line bottoms with parchment paper rounds. Dust pans with flour; tap out excess. Melt chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water, stirring until melted and smooth. Remove from over water. Cool 10 lukewarm. Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat sugar, butter, and vanilla in large bowl to blend. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition and stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of bowl. Gradually beat in lukewarm melted chocolate. Beat in dry ingredients in 3 additions alternately with sour cream in 2 additions beginning and ending with dry ingredients Gradually beat in creme de cacao and coffee. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans; smooth tops.

Bake cakes until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on racks 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto 9-inch cardboard rounds or removable tart pan bottoms; cool cakes completely on racks.

FOR BUTTERCREAM: Melt milk chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water, stirring until smooth. Remove from over water. Whisk sugar, egg yolks, 2 tablespoons water, and corn syrup in medium metal bowl to blend. Add 1/4 cup butter. Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water; whisk constantly until mixture reaches 170�F, about 4 minutes. Remove bowl from over water. Using electric mixer, beat until completely cool and thick, about 6 minutes. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup butter, about 1 tablespoon at a time, fully incorporating each addition and stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of bowl. Beat in lukewarm melted chocolate.

FOR COFFEE MOUSSE: Bring half and half, 2 tablespoons sugar, and espresso powder to simmer in small saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk egg yolks and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk hot half and half mixture into yolk mixture. Return mixture to saucepan and stir constantly over medium heat until thermometer registers 160�F, about 2 minutes. Pour into large bowl. Add softened gelatin; stir until dissolved. Using electric mixer, beat until cool, about 10 minutes. Using clean dry beaters, beat cream and vanilla in medium bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into coffee mixture.

Cut each cake layer horizontally in half. Place 1 cake layer in bottom of 9-inch-diameter springform pan. Cover with 3/4 cup buttercream. Place second cake layer atop buttercream; cover with mousse. Top with third cake layer. Refrigerate 1 hour to allow mousse to set. Spread 3/4 cup buttercream over third cake layer. Top with fourth cake layer (cake will rise above rim of pan). Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.

FOR CHOCOLATE GLAZE: Stir sugar and 1 cup water in medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high; bring to boil. Whisk in cocoa; remove from heat. Add chocolate; whisk until smooth. Let stand until into cool but still pourable, about 2 hours.

Run knife around pan sides to loosen cake. Release pan sides. Scrape excess mousse from sides of cake. Transfer cake and on springform pan bottom to rack set over baking sheet. Pour glaze over cake, allowing glaze to drip down edges onto baking sheet (use spatula to spread glaze over any uncovered spots). Refrigerate at least 2 hours to allow glaze to set. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.)

Description:

"A traditional Opera cake is made from very thin layers of cake, coffee buttercream, and coffee mousse � all covered with chocolate glaze. This version, which is perfect for a special occasion, is taller than your average Opera cake, owing to its thicker

layers."

Source:

"Bon Appetit September 2003 Page 52"

NOTES : This is an impressive cake! It is very good! I forgot to buy the bittersweet chocolate so in the cake I used 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate and 3 oz. semisweet chocolate. In the glaze I used 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate and 9 oz. semisweet chocolate.

Edited by Stacy in WA

Here's an interesting cake that was a BIG hit. The notes at the bottom are not mine:

30sf5vl.jpg

Black Pearl Layer Cake

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00

Black pearl ganache:

6 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate -- chopped

3/4 cup heavy whipping cream

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon wasabi powder*

2 tablespoons black sesame seeds*

1 tablespoon corn syrup

2 tablespoons butter -- (1/4 stick) room temperature

Ginger syrup

1 cup water

1/2 cup sugar

5 tablespoons matchstick-size strips peeled fresh ginger

1 vanilla bean -- split lengthwise

Cake:

2 cups boiling water

1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

2 3/4 cups all purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 1/4 cups sugar

1 cup unsalted butter -- (2 sticks) room temperature

4 large eggs

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Whipped cream frosting:

2 cups chilled heavy whipping cream

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Additional black sesame seeds

For black pearl ganache:

Place chocolate in medium bowl. Bring cream, ginger, and wasabi to boil in small pot. Pour hot cream over chocolate; cover with plastic wrap and let stand 15 minutes. Whisk cream and chocolate until smooth. Mix sesame seeds and corn syrup in small bowl to coat; stir into chocolate mixture. Let cool to lukewarm. Stir in butter. Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight to set.

For ginger syrup:

Place 1 cup water, sugar, and ginger in small saucepan. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into pan; add bean. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer 2 minutes; remove from heat. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour for flavors to blend.

Strain syrup into small bowl. Chop ginger. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate ginger and syrup separately.)

For cake:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour three 8-inch-diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides. Line bottoms with parchment paper.

Whisk 2 cups boiling water, cocoa powder, and reserved chopped ginger in medium heatproof bowl. Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Using electric mixer, beat sugar and butter in large bowl until fluffy, about 1 minute. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating until incorporated after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract. Add flour mixture in 4 additions alternately with cocoa mixture in 3 additions, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Divide batter among prepared cake pans; smooth tops.

Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Turn cakes out onto racks; cool completely. (Cakes can be prepared 1 day ahead. Wrap with plastic wrap and store at room temperature.)

For whipped cream frosting:

Beat cream in large bowl until soft peaks form. Add sugar, vanilla, and ginger. Beat until stiff peaks form.

Using long serrated knife, trim rounded tops off cakes to create flat surface. Place 1 cake layer, cut side up, on plate. Brush top with 1/3 cup ginger syrup. Spread half of ganache over top of cake. Place second layer, cut side up, atop first layer. Brush with 1/3 cup syrup; spread with remaining ganache. Top with third cake layer. Brush with remaining syrup. Spread sides and top with whipped cream frosting. Sprinkle top with black sesame seeds. Refrigerate until ganache is set, about 4 hours. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before serving. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.)

*Available in the Asian foods section of some supermarkets and at Asian markets.

Source:

"Bon Appétit | January 2005"

This cake is phenomenal! It's not over-the-top odd and it's just unique enough to make it stand out. This recipe wasn't difficult to make at all. I've made this cake over three dozen times, all with excellent results. Here are some tips to make it easier: Save yourself the $9.00 and don't bother buying a vanilla bean. You don't need it. Honestly, just double the amount of vanilla extract you put into the whipped cream frosting. Also, Nothing needs to stand overnight. I've made this cake from start to finish in one hour and the results are consistently incredible. Put the layers in the freezer for about 15 minutes to cool. The ganache doesn't need to sit overnight. The syrup doesn't need to sit for an hour either. The flavors will meld nicely as you are simmering it. Wasabi powder is fine to use, but you will never be able to taste it. Go for the paste instead and feel free to double or even triple the amount. The same for the ginger. I double the amount for the whipped cream frosting and yet it is still only subtly flavored with ginger. Lastly, although this cake recipe is fine (it's just a standard chocolate cake), Dunkin Hine's Dark Chocolate Cake mix is ten times better and cuts alot of time out of prep. Go for it! You won't be dissapointed with the results!

I am a HUGE fan of Vosges chocolate, and my favorite bar is the Black Pearl. I was trying to locate my perfect birthday cake when I found this recipe and stopped all searches. The cake is wonderful. It has the interesting and unusual ingredients not found in other cakes, but it is not so "out there" that your guests will think you're crazy. The cake itself is quite easy to make. The ganache and simple syrup couldn't be more simple. However, since there are four components to this cake, plan your strategy. I made the cake one day. Froze it. Made the syrup and ganache another day. When I was ready to bring everything together, I just allowed the ganache to get to room temperature and it took no time at all. I will definitely make this cake again - it was a big hit.

This is a spectacular chocolate cake. While the unusual ingredients might put people off if they know about them first, I've found that those who try the cake without knowing what's in it just can't stop talking about it. The chocolate cake itself is dense and fudgy with a well-rounded chocolate flavor. The ganache is rich without being overpowering and the little crunchy sesame seeds in the ganache and on the whipped cream frosting add wonderful little pops of sesame flavor with each bite. The wasabi isn't distinguishable in the ganache, but definitely adds a little extra something that people just can't place their fingers on. I've made this cake many times (including in several wedding cakes) and it's become my favorite cake recipe.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

That is THE cake.

Taking one of your tried and true chocolate cake recipes and adding different fillings will create something new but also something you don't have to work hard to perfect. Right now things like salted caramel are trendy- so a filling with that, a mousse filling, maybe a fruity addition, and a lovely decoration on the topping will make a fabulous creation. If you start with your creation and add a trendy thing it'll seem like a totally new cake.

I'd be totally wary of an internet recipe until you actually try it. Too many are just put out there without actually making it and the results are awful.

Here's a cake I made for a friend's 40th birthday. It was a huge party and people kept coming back and getting a second piece of cake to take home with them. It was awesome! It does used packaged foods, so that may be something you don't want. My notes are at the bottom. The recipe is all over the net:

280qyqb.jpg

Cheesecake-Stuffed Dark Chocolate Cake

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

To Try

Unsweetened cocoa

1 package devil’s food cake mix -- (18.25 oz.)

1 package chocolate instant pudding mix -- (3.4 oz.)

3 large eggs

1 1/4 cups cups milk

1 cup canola oil

1 Tbsp. vanilla extract

1 1/2 teaspoons chocolate extract (optional)

1 tsp. almond extract

3 milk chocolate bars -- (1.55 oz.) chopped (tested with Hersheys)

3 cans homestyle cream cheese frosting -- (16 oz.)

3 boxes frozen cheesecake bites -- (7.75 oz.) coarsely chopped (tested with Sara Lee)

1 jar dulce de leche caramel sauce (tested with Smuckers) -- (12 oz.)

Double chocolate rolled wafer cookies -- coarsely broken (tested with Pirouline)

Chocolate fudge rolled wafer cookies -- coarsely broken (tested with Pepperidge Farm)

Grease 2 (9”) round cake pans, and dust with cocoa. Beat cake mix and next 7 ingredients at low speed with an electric mixer 1 minute; then beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Fold in chopped milk chocolate bars. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 32 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool cake in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks. Wrap and chill cake layers at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours. (This step enables you to split cake layers with ease.) Using a serrated knife, slice cake layers in half horizontally to make 4 layers. Place 1 layer, cut side up, on a cake plate. Spread with ½ cup cream cheese frosting; sprinkle with one-fourth of chopped cheesecake bites. Repeat procedure with remaining 3 layers, frosting, and cheesecake bites, omitting cheesecake bites on top of last layer. Frost sides and top of cake with remaining frosting. Drizzle desired amount of caramel sauce over cake, letting it drip down sides. Chill until ready to serve. Decorate cake with rolled wafer cookies and remaining chopped cheesecake bites. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings

Source:

"Christmas with Southern Living 2007"

NOTES : I used three different flavors of cheesecake bites - caramel, chocolate, and cookies & cream - one kind on each layer. I also found devil's food pudding mix instead of the chocolate. I subbed Dove ichocolate ice cream topping for the caramel.

Edited by Stacy in WA

Oh, my gosh, I am SO sorry those pics turned out so huge. I obviously don't know what I'm going with pics yet.

I'm fasting so I can have blood work done in the morning. I thought it was just ME who saw those cakes as huge. Sure do want some cake tonight!!!!! Thanks for testing my willpower.g

I'm fasting so I can have blood work done in the morning. I thought it was just ME who saw those cakes as huge. Sure do want some cake tonight!!!!! Thanks for testing my willpower.g

:lol::lol::lol:

I know what you mean. I'm on a very low carb way of eating (for the rest of my life) which means no sugar, flour, or other cakey-type ingredients. I'm reliving some good memories with these cake postings. I'll probably never make them again. :sad:

Wow! You all are such a great resource. :001_smile:

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll take a look at all of them.

For some reason I always forget about the King Arthur's flour website, and all of the great recipes there.

I have the Pastry Queen book also, and there are some great recipes in there. The chicken pot pie really is to die for, though if you make it, double all of the sauce ingredients *except the flour*. I really think that's gotta be a typo. Using the amount called for in the recipe would result in gravy the consistency of paste. :001_huh: Otherwise, that recipe rocks pot pie. :tongue_smilie: What I really want is her cafe though! I've pictured having a place of my own, and it would be remarkably similar to the "Rather Sweet" cafe. {Sigh. If you're gonna dream, dream big, right?}

This is a WOW cake. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/printerfriendly/Triple-Chocolate-Celebration-Cake-105184?printFormat=photo If I don't have time to mess with the chocolate transfers I press mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings onto the side.

mare_triple_chocolate_celebration_cake_h.jpg

I usually do Ina Garten's slight variation on the Hershey's cake instead of the cake recipe listed though.

My easy wow cake uses a trifle bowl on a stand. Bake favorite cake in round pans, cool and cut them in half to make 4 layers. Layer cake with stabilized whipped cream, chocolate ganache, cherry or raspberry pie filling and repeat. Make it decorative looking on top and add chocolate curls if you want. It's pretty easy to put together and looks impressive without having to deal with frosting.

This is a WOW cake. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/printerfriendly/Triple-Chocolate-Celebration-Cake-105184?printFormat=photo If I don't have time to mess with the chocolate transfers I press mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings onto the side.

I've made this cake, too. It's wonderful!

Ina Garten's Beatty's Chocolate Cake is my favorite general chocolate cake.

My other favorite is Baked Bakery's Sweet and Salty Cake (rich chocolate cake with salted caramel filling and Whipped Caramel Ganache icing). It is a total pain in the rear to make but people love it and beg me to make it all the time. It actually is worth all the effort. Just the frosting alone is ______. I can't come up with an adjective good enough to describe it tonight. Obviously my baking skills outweigh my vocab skills. :lol:

I'm looking for a really, truly impressive chocolate cake recipe. It needs to be an Internet recipe, and it must have pictures that I can see before trying the recipe.

It needs to be something where if a big slice was brought to you in a fancy restaurant, you'd be astonished, delighted, and drooling. :drool5:

So, I need a tall chocolate layer cake. Bonus points if there's multiple chocolate flavors (maybe in different layers, or different fillings).

The sky's the limit! I'm looking for really OVER THE TOP chocolate layer cakes. :bigear:

p.s. I do have recipes that I love, but I'm just bored with them. ;)

I make a recipe like this one: http://megan-deliciousdishings.blogspot.com/2010/04/triple-chocolate-mousse-cake.html

Instead of the top layer shown here, I make homemade whipped cream with a bit of raspberry jam. It's to. die. for. :)

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...