Menu

cellulite...what to do

Okay. Let's say I have this "friend" who, though not overweight, is noticing some very unattractive dimpling going on in the rear view mirror. What in the world can be done about this???!!! Do those lotions/creams really work or are they a waste of money? Are there toning excercises for the butt/thighs that will help? Please help:willy_nilly:

Although I'm not in the medical profession, according to everything I've read, there's nothing to be done about cellulite. During a physical fitness/weightlifting kick, I got down to 12% body fat which is low for a woman and still bad many dimples. I think some lotions can temporarily minimize the appearance, but I didn't find them helpful.

Although I'm not in the medical profession, according to everything I've read, there's nothing to be done about cellulite. During a physical fitness/weightlifting kick, I got down to 12% body fat which is low for a woman and still bad many dimples. I think some lotions can temporarily minimize the appearance, but I didn't find them helpful.

I stay around 12% and have a tiny bit if I pinch my upper leg where it meets my rear. But not visible just by looking. If I get closer to 10% which I have not done in a couple years I have zero.

Weights like walking weighted lunges and squats are your best bet. And running. I hate running but I dno't mind sprints.

You cry. That's what you do about it. And you curse genetics. My little sister is a collegiate track/cross country athlete. She runs/sprints many miles a day. She does all those weight-bearing leg exercises multiple times a week. She's 19 and has never had a kid. She still has cellulite. Even when I get down to almost anorexic looking, I still have cellulite. It's just in our genes.

I will never stop fighting the good fight. I will continue to do my squats, lunges, and kicks. I will walk/run hills forever, but my cellulite will never go away (unless I can finally convince dh that liposuction is indeed a valid anniversary/birthday/Christmas gift). I just hide mine as best as I can. Bermuda shorts are my best friend:tongue_smilie:.

I *think* mine has gotten better since I have started eating paleo/primal (no grains, no legumes, no processed food, no sugar, and little dairy). I do sometimes cheat with sugar, and I do have some dairy, but I am otherwise pretty disciplined about it. I am an exerciser, but I think I have seen more improvement in the cellulite from changing my eating than from exercising. It's still there, but I do think it's improved. Or maybe my eyes are just going, so it just looks like it is improving! :lol:

This is my understanding from a totally non-scientific point of view. The fibers that make up the issue are in a sort of woven pattern. What happens is certain areas thin out which allows the fat underneath to poke through a bit more obviously than in other areas. Because it is happening at the tissue level, there is really no way to exercise or diet the problem away. Of course the less fat under the skin the less obvious the issue will be but it will still be there. One thing I read was that exercises that increase blood flow to those areas are beneficial because increased circulation helps that tissue remain healthier - but it doesn't make the problem go away. Sorry.

It is just due to your skin. Women have thinner, smoother skin than men, thanks to estrogen. That nice thin, smooth skin is also a bit weaker. The fat on our body (the thing that makes us look like women) presses against the skin and causes ripples and bulges. And as we get older our collagen decreases..which makes our skin even weaker. And so it goes.

Some women have slightly thicker skin and it doesn't happen. However, they are the minority. Almost all women have those ripples and dimples somewhere, at some point. You can have cellulite and be a healthy weight.

So, don't waste your money on creams and potions. And don't hate your body, and don't judge other women. It is only unattractive if we say it is. It can also just be part of the human condition

If it makes you feel better, I think most of us have a "friend" with the same issue... ;)

I know that, in my case, when I'm at my ideal weight, everything is firm and tight, but if I gain a few pounds, the lumps and bumps miraculously appear. :glare:

Oh. Oops. Did I say "ME?" Because I didn't mean me. I meant "MY FRIEND." :D

I would cry into a pint of Ben & Jerry's.....if I had that problem :rolleyes:.

Actually I also have a "friend", and what works for her is never looking in a mirror. Take them all down. If you see a flash of your thigh, immediately close your eyes. Also, wear those old lady track suits. People will tell you that you look wonderful for "your age".

Or maybe you could sit next to an open container of cottage cheese, and in comparison you would look stunning? :leaving:

Yep! It is definitely genetic. My mom has dimpled thighs (and has since she was very young) even though she was 100 lbs. I could stand to lose 5-8 lbs. right now, but even when I'm at my so-skinny-people-start-telling-me-to-eat-a-sandwich-weight, I still can't wear anything but Bermuda shorts because of the cellulite. :glare:

I will see women in the summer who weigh a good 50 lbs. more than me and they have large, albeit smooth, thighs. I'm so jealous. Even though I'm slim, I can't wear shorts or swimsuits. :001_huh:

I stay around 12% and have a tiny bit if I pinch my upper leg where it meets my rear. But not visible just by looking. If I get closer to 10% which I have not done in a couple years I have zero.

Weights like walking weighted lunges and squats are your best bet. And running. I hate running but I dno't mind sprints.

I am bottom-heavy so I never got rid of the fat around my hips. My breastbone was visible, my arms were very defined, and I had many comments from family that I needed "to eat a sandwich." No amount of running or lunges helped me.

I've known some people who cleared up quite a bit of cellulite through a VERY CLEAN DIET and certain supplements. I have seen *some* improvement through exercise.

That would be due to weight loss. There is nothing special about cellulite. It is just body fat. It isn't 'trapped toxins' (doesn't exist) or anything silly like that. It is just fat and weak skin. Some people are more prone to it than others and if you are less prone, then you might have an easier time getting it to go away with weight loss.

I have seen a big improvement because I lost 40 lbs. Well, duh! Less fat in general means that there is less to dimple and bulge.

I am bottom-heavy so I never got rid of the fat around my hips. My breastbone was visible, my arms were very defined, and I had many comments from family that I needed "to eat a sandwich." No amount of running or lunges helped me.

Yeah and really who can live at the bottom of the fat percentage forever. It's probably not even as healthy.

Yeah and really who can live at the bottom of the fat percentage forever. It's probably not even as healthy.

I think it's a genetic thing. If I'm not very slim, I feel tired and sluggish, yet I know women who naturally tend to be a bit heavier, and they say they feel tired when they get too thin -- and because we're built differently, their "too slim" is still "too heavy" for me. :001_smile:

I have been investigating the "Fat Flush" diet recently. They speak of using a mini-trampoline to do 'rebounding' which they say will help get rid of cellulite, in combination with the rest of their diet. Haven't tried it yet, but I am contemplating it.... for my friend! :lol: :tongue_smilie:

Brenda

That would be due to weight loss. There is nothing special about cellulite. It is just body fat. It isn't 'trapped toxins' (doesn't exist) or anything silly like that. It is just fat and weak skin. Some people are more prone to it than others and if you are less prone, then you might have an easier time getting it to go away with weight loss.

I have seen a big improvement because I lost 40 lbs. Well, duh! Less fat in general means that there is less to dimple and bulge.

I am not sure. There was some weight loss but these people were in really good shape beforehand and already ate healthfully.

• 4 weeks later...

It is genetic for the women in my family as well. It didn't appear for me until after pregnancy #3. Pregnancies make it the most obvious, with the extra weight gain (I only gain about 30 pounds each time and lose it in between, so nothing extreme) and water retention. I hate it. But I don't have stretch marks and some women do, so I guess it evens out. I still hate it though. I have started doing lunges, squats and butt exercises and it has helped somewhat, but the dimpling is still there. My legs are also naturally the most thin part of my body. :glare::glare:

I think I was born with cellulite! I have always been extremely thin and cannot remember not having cellulite. I find that it is much less obvious when I am drinking a lot of water. I usually don't drink as much as I should but I notice a big difference in my cellulite when I make an effort to increase my water consumption.

I've had it on my thighs and rear since my early twenties.

I'm a tall, slim person. Even when I was ill and got down to a too-thin 118 pounds (at 5' 9"), I still had visible cellulite. It was certainly less prominent when I was badly underweight, but it did not go away.

I just try to dress accordingly.

And really, I'm thankful to have that cellulite back to it's original prominence, as it was miserable to be skinny and sick. I'd pick healthy and dimply any day.