Menu

What are you doing to prepare your HS child for the "Real World"

I would say it depends on the kids and their ages. It will look different for a 5 year old than a senior in highschool.

I think that they need to learn to work on a schedule--even if it isn't their own. Sure it is nice to sleep in late and get started whenever you want......but most jobs require you to be ON TIME, EVERY DAY. You might get a 2nd or 3rd shift job that fits your schedule better but it is still learning to be on a schedule and be on time for committments.......homeschoolers are notorious for being late and/or just not showing up for something if it doesn't work out for them that day or they don't feel like it.

I would have the kids get a job (paid or volunteer) once they hit the teen years. They can learn a lot of skills here--dealing with people of all sorts and many that might not hold your same world view. Be willing to work at a job "beneath" you if needed. Yes, it is great to think that you can start out in a job that you love, but in our area with 22% unemployment rate, ANY job is a blessing and while it might not be a long term job, it is a job.

Getting out in the community and serving the less fortunate is great for kids of all ages. It might be a 5 year old handing out bags of apples at a food pantry to an 18 year old doing home repairs on a house for a disabled/elderly person.

I would say it depends on the kids and their ages. It will look different for a 5 year old than a senior in highschool.

I think that they need to learn to work on a schedule--even if it isn't their own. Sure it is nice to sleep in late and get started whenever you want......but most jobs require you to be ON TIME, EVERY DAY. You might get a 2nd or 3rd shift job that fits your schedule better but it is still learning to be on a schedule and be on time for committments.......homeschoolers are notorious for being late and/or just not showing up for something if it doesn't work out for them that day or they don't feel like it.

Maybe it's all a matter of making sure your child, homeschooled or not, can adapt to change. That's what The World really is, isn't it? I mean, we NEVER wake up with the sun, or start school before 9 a.m., and yet my high schooler has no trouble getting to school by 7 each day. I'm GLAD we didn't train for it for ten years because when it comes down to it, setting an alarm and getting up isn't FUN, but it's not all that complicated either.

Oh, and whoever is training their kid to loathe cubicles should know that, around here, cubicle dwellers make six-figure salaries, have a lot of autonomy with their work, and are often able to transition to working at home since lots of cubicle jobs need a brain and a computer. Also, it's easier to do your job if you get sick, injured, or the weather is bad.

We sometimes point out how being out in the community is more of a transition into the "real world" than needing a hall pass to use the restroom in May or June of senior year, then being dropped off at college 2 months later with all of the freedom that entails ;)

Our plan for our family, if people are asking from a place of genuine curiosity is:

-have them get a job or spend time volunteering

-encourage them to start a non profit or something similar

-encourage mentorships and have them shadow and spend time with adult mentors in fields of interest.

-take community college classes to transition to instructors other than mom and dad. However, like many HS kids they already have exposure to this through dance, sports coaches, co-op classes, etc. But it makes people feel better if we mention it is something we've thought about ;) We also like the idea of having them navigate a small campus like a comm. college or small 4 year institution. I attended a really small PS, and I was too intimidated to go right to a big school, so even as a public schooled student, it would have been a nice idea.

-teach them to use public transportation, read a train schedule and navigate stops, etc. We live about 45 mins from a very large city and 5 mins from a train that runs there, so we plan to do this with them quite a bit as they get older so they can learn to navigate public transportation.

-teach them how to manage their money, open a bank account, balance a check book, calculate interest, etc.

-learn how to be comfortable talking to adults like mentors and professors, as well as adults in the community, learn how to put yourself out there and network with others, learn how to make others feel important and that you value what they have to say. Learn to really listen. My kids are very comfortable talking with adults now and I hope that continues through their teen years.

I would do all of the above even if our kids were in PS, but I love that HSing gives us more time and flexibility to get them accomplished.

Edited by Momof3littles

Oh, and whoever is training their kid to loathe cubicles should know that, around here, cubicle dwellers make six-figure salaries, have a lot of autonomy with their work, and are often able to transition to working at home since lots of cubicle jobs need a brain and a computer. Also, it's easier to do your job if you get sick, injured, or the weather is bad.

Well, loathing no, but I hated office work, and my vision of cubicles has to do with something like the Matrix. My experience with cubicles had to do with shut up, do what you're told, don't question the man, and how dare you have an idea that you want credit for. None of the cubicle workers I knew were anywhere near six figures, but that could be industry specific too.

That is such an impossible question. I know people who live wealthy lives, never are exposed to thugs and vandals, never go the side of town with poir people. I know people whose kids see them use drugs, luve in Section 8, never have enough food. I know LDS adults who lived around preparedness, thrift, no cussing, no drinking, went to BYU, and still live that way with their spouses.

Whose real world are we talking abt? Should a committed Mormon young adult spend some time around pirn and drunkeness just in case? Should a muddle class child learn to deal w a drugged up adult just in case? Should Americans live a year in sqlalor and dirty water to experience third world reality? There is no one "real world."

Sorry for typos, my ph makes it impossible to correct...

That is such an impossible question. I know people who live wealthy lives, never are exposed to thugs and vandals, never go the side of town with poir people. I know people whose kids see them use drugs, luve in Section 8, never have enough food. I know LDS adults who lived around preparedness, thrift, no cussing, no drinking, went to BYU, and still live that way with their spouses.

Whose real world are we talking abt? Should a committed Mormon young adult spend some time around pirn and drunkeness just in case? Should a muddle class child learn to deal w a drugged up adult just in case? Should Americans live a year in sqlalor and dirty water to experience third world reality? There is no one "real world."

I love this. Good point. May I copy and post to FB?

Very true.

Indeed.

(we really need that "like" button back)

I know you're right, but to see entire families where all kids are so awkward is unusual. I remember speaking to one of the girls, around 11 at the time, and she actually looked scared. It is common to have a shy child, but an entire family?

Fair point. I'm extremely shy/socially awkward, esp one-on-one and with small talk--I just cannot mentally come up with nice, appropriate things to say to strangers. But my kids love strangers of all ages, play with other kids on the playground instantly, ask to go play at others' houses all the time, etc. And hubby can small talk anyone.

All of my teens have worked "real world" jobs to pay for their car insurance, gas and entertainment (in that order). We bought the cars; they had to do the rest. To do that, they had to interview, get hired, train to do their jobs, work with many other employees, deal with the public, etc.

Oldest dd worked as a cashier in a grocery store, then as a receptionist in a massage center (even doing payroll when she was 17). She also worked while in college at a title company, and as a bartender. She now manages a boutique.

Second dd worked as a shampoo girl in an upscale salon, at Raising Cane's (a local-turned-national chicken strip chain), as a restaurant hostess, and as a bartender at a country club.

Third dd has worked in a daycare, as a nanny, at a dancewear shop, for a dentist, as a hostess in a restaurant, and now as a waitress in the same restaurant.

Ds worked for a guy who ran ballpark concessions for 6 months and basically, at 15, was opening, setting up, running the stands, closing, picking up, balancing cash registers, etc. As soon as he turned 16, he went to work for Raising Cane's, has been there a year, has had 3 promotions, and can work there while going to college and they'll help pay for it.

I think my kids have been quite prepared for the "real world," and they prove it daily.

I have really enjoyed the diversity of answers here. This question was

asked of me this weekend. I believe the person was referring to adulthood. It seems as though some people view homeschoolers as being too laid back and not having a real since of life outside the home. If the truth be told it's so many opportunities outside the home now for homeschoolers you definitely have to make sure you are home enough to get work/chores done.

We are gradually introducing them to more and more adult oriented projects, and really we began when they were little.

1) They have worked at our restaurant which is in our local airport since...well...forever. Even at 3 or 4 years old they loved helping wipe down shelves, stock the Coke cooler, etc. Now at 9, 13 and 14 years old they all work there every Saturday during ski season serving customers, washing dishes and taking out trash. They'll all be working the cash register this year. They have helped us order souvenirs and evaluate what would make good items to carry or not.

2) As we have bought cars or considered other large purchases we involve them 100% in the research and financing discussions. We evaluate purchases together to elicit responses from them about quality, durability, and value/cost. We have actually been stopped from making a couple of purchases based upon their comments.

3) We purchased a beat up rental property last year and for a school project they did all the repairs...they learned how to paint interior and exterior, did a little drywall repair, laid flooring, etc. They learned all about the types of paint, compared various kinds of flooring, roofing materials, etc. They went into the utility offices and I put them in charge of dealing with clerks to get things turned on, and they began to learn about insurance as they talked with the agent.

4) Two of ours have already accepted the responsibility to be liturgist at church and have been several times, the rest will follow this next year or two. They complete a "Time and Talent" contribution form during stewardship season every year and offer up what they can, and my then 12 year old son volunteered to be on the Buildings and Grounds Ministry and has served for over a year.

5) They have also gone to work with my husband at our other business, doing pressure washing and auto detailing from time to time, learning about quality and production work, scheduling, etc.

6) They are currently watching the debates and are quite knowledgeable about the election and current political issues.

7) They all do their own laundry, all know how to carefully clean our home, have learned some basics about cooking which we will work more with, most have practiced BBQing.

There are other things as well, but these are the things that come to mind right now.

Cindy

I let them take care of their own problems. I see so many teens who expect mommy and daddy to come up with $$$, phones, cars, cash, school help, etc. I believe failure is nature's best learning experience. All those chances show up in their scouts, plays, sports, music etc. Oh, and others said they clean, mow, do their laundry, hold jobs and generally take care of themselves by about 14 or 15. (At least so far, I don't know for sure what the last three will do.). Watching them screw up is hard and I will offer advice if asked but better little screw ups now than giant ones when they are 20. Oh, and I pray alot.

Edited by joyofsix