Menu

Are ther RVs outside of the US?

GWOB

This may be a stupid question, but I am genuinely curious. We have a small pop-up camper. Every time we have gone camping in an RV park, I meet Germans, Brits, Aussies, etc.. I think RVing is a great way to explore America, for both Americans and foreigners. I am just wondering if RVs are an American phenomenon or if they are popular in other countries.

Can someone explain this to me? Please?

ETA: Stupid iPhone didn't register the second "e" in there.

Edited by wendilouwho
iPhones are not compatible with quick thumbs.

There are RVs of all sizes here. We call them motorhomes mostly. I see the very big ones more rarely though since the roads are narrower here. I see quite a few towing cars behind them.

:iagree:The really big ones just are not as common. Smaller are really popular. Caravan camping sites are really common.

I've seen many in Germany and in the Netherlands. In fact I've seen far more there than here.

:iagree: Same in France, Belgium, Spain, & Italy too, from what I've seen. (European RVing has even unfortunately & tragically been in the news lately because of a British/Iraqui family that was RVing in France & the adults in the group were murdered, possibly by a professional assassin.)

As w/ cars in Europe (which tend to be smaller), the RVs/campers tend to be much smaller there than the ones I've seen in the US.

As others have said, there are lots of caravans in Australia - towed by cars, rather than self-driving. But there are also campervans, at least for hire by visitors.

We traveled by campervan around New Zealand's North Island with the kids - it seems a popular form of holiday for foreign visitors.

In South Africa caravans are popular, but I don't remember ever seeing a campervans / motorhome / RV. Caravans usually used for holidays and weekend trips, rather than to live in long term.

As others have said, there are lots of caravans in Australia - towed by cars, rather than self-driving. But there are also campervans, at least for hire by visitors.

We traveled by campervan around New Zealand's North Island with the kids - it seems a popular form of holiday for foreign visitors.

In South Africa caravans are popular, but I don't remember ever seeing a campervans / motorhome / RV. Caravans usually used for holidays and weekend trips, rather than to live in long term.

I live in a holiday spot, there are lots of people who live permanently in caravans at the local caravan park. and many many people put a caravan in their back yard as a extra bedroom.