Menu

I did it...

I dropped my kids off at school this morning. I am so sad. My dd (in K) was so excited and went to her class willingly. I was so thrilled for that! :) My ds (3rd grade) wasn't so happy. He has a bit of an anxious personality and was very nervous this morning. I just hated that for him! It's not like he has never done anything without me...he goes to Sunday School, is on the swim team, plays flag football, etc. I know it is just his personality, but I feel a bit like I've failed him (would it have been better if he had been going to school since K?). I am still hoping that this is only a one year thing, but I'm trying to remain positive in the meantime.

I'm right there with you. :(

We started public 2nd grade today. I am nervous. Daughter is/was super anxious. I don't want to do this, but our decision was based on some family logistics and her desire to attend school with some other kids. I "know" it is the best thing for now, but, boy-oh-boy, I. do.not.want.to.do.this. I'm having flash backs to in-home daycare when she was first born, and I was working outside home. I hated it then with a passion, and I hate it now. I feel like I'm giving my kid away. :(

I was going to get through the mountains of paperwork on my desk, get the kids laundry done, and maybe tackle some of our gameroom conversion (moving our business out of our home this week also). Instead, I am reading the internet and fretting, fretting, fretting and crying, crying, crying. I would LOVE to go sit outside the building right now and just wait. :)

Funny thing though, my neighbor and best friend has 7 kiddos. She has been crying this morning, too, and they have ALWAYS attended public school. :) She should be a pro (college, 9th, 2x 8th, 5th, 1st, 3-yr-old preschool), but she is in tears also! :tongue_smilie:

Plus we usually sleep until 9am and had to be up at 6am...YIKES! My 2 younger kiddos (5, 2) asked why I was waking them in the "middle of the night". When I asked what my 5-yr-old wanted for breakfast, she asked why we weren't having supper! :)

Good luck and hang in there! This is going to be a LONG day!!!!!!!! ...for that matter, a LONG year! :glare:

When my kids attended ps I cried in the car every 1st day of school after dropping them off. oldest went for 3 years, 2nd born went for 2. I cried on the first day every. year. Next year there is a chance oldest 2 will go to the public high school in the next town, even at high school age I just might sit in the car and cry on that first day.

Well, it doesn't get any easier when they are older. Dd14 is in her 2nd week of school and my anxiety level is still high. I felt so good on Friday and Saturday because I had no anxiety but come Sunday evening, it hit me hard. DH was the one to realize it's got to be school afterall. I'm not sure how long it's going to take me to adjust to this. I know this will be good for her. I know she'll be fine. I just wish this wasn't happening.

:grouphug:

I'm right there with you. :(

We started public 2nd grade today. I am nervous. Daughter is/was super anxious. I don't want to do this, but our decision was based on some family logistics and her desire to attend school with some other kids. I "know" it is the best thing for now, but, boy-oh-boy, I. do.not.want.to.do.this. I'm having flash backs to in-home daycare when she was first born, and I was working outside home. I hated it then with a passion, and I hate it now. I feel like I'm giving my kid away. :(

I was going to get through the mountains of paperwork on my desk, get the kids laundry done, and maybe tackle some of our gameroom conversion (moving our business out of our home this week also). Instead, I am reading the internet and fretting, fretting, fretting and crying, crying, crying. I would LOVE to go sit outside the building right now and just wait. :)

Funny thing though, my neighbor and best friend has 7 kiddos. She has been crying this morning, too, and they have ALWAYS attended public school. :) She should be a pro (college, 9th, 2x 8th, 5th, 1st, 3-yr-old preschool), but she is in tears also! :tongue_smilie:

Plus we usually sleep until 9am and had to be up at 6am...YIKES! My 2 younger kiddos (5, 2) asked why I was waking them in the "middle of the night". When I asked what my 5-yr-old wanted for breakfast, she asked why we weren't having supper! :)

Good luck and hang in there! This is going to be a LONG day!!!!!!!! ...for that matter, a LONG year! :glare:

When my kids attended ps I cried in the car every 1st day of school after dropping them off. oldest went for 3 years, 2nd born went for 2. I cried on the first day every. year. Next year there is a chance oldest 2 will go to the public high school in the next town, even at high school age I just might sit in the car and cry on that first day.

OH MY!!! Is it horrible that it makes me feel better to know that other people are miserable, too???? lol. It wrenches my heart out to send my kids to school. :( Especially since my son is really not liking his new school.

Well, it doesn't get any easier when they are older. Dd14 is in her 2nd week of school and my anxiety level is still high. I felt so good on Friday and Saturday because I had no anxiety but come Sunday evening, it hit me hard. DH was the one to realize it's got to be school afterall. I'm not sure how long it's going to take me to adjust to this. I know this will be good for her. I know she'll be fine. I just wish this wasn't happening.

:grouphug:

:iagree: and :grouphug: for the bolded part.

First day of school here too. My 10th grader was so stressed out. He has to wear a school uniform with his shirt tucked into his pants and a belt. So stressful!

My dh actually drove him to Office Max yesterday since all their employees wear shirts tucked and a belt. It is his dream to work there one day so my dh thought it would help. It didn't.

:grouphug: They'll be fine :001_smile:.

DS11 will be going to school a week tomorrow for the first time in three years, and I feel terribly sad.

You haven't failed him; I believe that any amount of homeschooling is a wonderful gift for our children. Kids are resilient too, much more than we give them credit for. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he ended up having a wonderful time. DS13 has always loved school, even those times when other kids were being mean and nasty to him :confused:.

Try not to worry too much, you're doing the very best you can.

OH MY!!! Is it horrible that it makes me feel better to know that other people are miserable, too???? lol. It wrenches my heart out to send my kids to school. :( Especially since my son is really not liking his new school.

Well, if it's horrible, I guess I'm horrible right there with you. :tongue_smilie: Not that I *want* people to be miserable...it just feels nice to know I'm not alone.

I don't even want to talk to my family about it today (all of whom I am very close to) because I don't want to hear that sound in their voices (relief?) that my children are finally in school.

Only three more hours and I can pick them up!

Well, if it's horrible, I guess I'm horrible right there with you. :tongue_smilie: Not that I *want* people to be miserable...it just feels nice to know I'm not alone.

I don't even want to talk to my family about it today (all of whom I am very close to) because I don't want to hear that sound in their voices (relief?) that my children are finally in school.

Only three more hours and I can pick them up!

I still have 4 more hours. Let the countdown begin! :)

First day of school here too. My 10th grader was so stressed out. He has to wear a school uniform with his shirt tucked into his pants and a belt. So stressful!

My dh actually drove him to Office Max yesterday since all their employees wear shirts tucked and a belt. It is his dream to work there one day so my dh thought it would help. It didn't.

Aww...:grouphug:

My kids don't wear uniforms, but they do have a fairly strict dress code (no shorts, skirts/dresses to the knee, etc.). Dd is easy, but ds usually wears running pants or shorts (which are a no no), so that has been a challenge.

Two hours and counting... :)

On the plus side,I found the top of my desk! I haven't seen it in months! And I found an Ebates check for $30 I never opened in the stacks of mail! :lol:

...never managed to tackle the laundry though. Too much pouting this morning. :tongue_smilie:

I have been thinking of your kids today, particularly your ds, and I hope they both had a great first day of school today!

AND STOP THINKING YOU HAVE FAILED THEM!!! (Sorry to yell at you, but someone had to do it. You're a great mom, and you love your kids!!!)

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I have been thinking of your kids today, particularly your ds, and I hope they both had a great first day of school today!

AND STOP THINKING YOU HAVE FAILED THEM!!! (Sorry to yell at you, but someone had to do it. You're a great mom, and you love your kids!!!)

:iagree:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I dropped my kids off at school this morning. I am so sad. My dd (in K) was so excited and went to her class willingly. I was so thrilled for that! :) My ds (3rd grade) wasn't so happy. He has a bit of an anxious personality and was very nervous this morning. I just hated that for him! It's not like he has never done anything without me...he goes to Sunday School, is on the swim team, plays flag football, etc. I know it is just his personality, but I feel a bit like I've failed him (would it have been better if he had been going to school since K?). I am still hoping that this is only a one year thing, but I'm trying to remain positive in the meantime.

:grouphug: I did this last year, and honestly it took me weeks to 'ok'. It was a much more difficult transition for me, than for my kiddos (and that made it more painful-LOL). You will all adjust- it will take time- there will be things he absolutely hates about school (my DD still complains about how much time they waste) and there will be things he LOVES about it.

You're still their mom. :heart: Your relationship with them will change, and you'll find new ways of connecting with and nurturing them... I promise. :grouphug: My heart still aches because it was a hard transition...and I second-guessed it for a long time, but our relationship is actually better w/ them in school (much to my consternation & sadness). I am able to work and earn $$ for our family, I'm calmer and more available to them now....etc.

Anywya- I'm rambling to say that I feel for you....:grouphug:

:iagree: Just checking in to see how it went today!

Thankfully DD7 had a great day also. She is exhausted and was starving so much that she had a stomach ache. She was shocked that they didn't actually do any school work today. :) But she thanked me for letting her go and told me "You made the right decision, Mom." Thank goodness she is stronger than me!

Looks like this public school thing is going to stick. ;) I guess now I can start fretting about the academics (or lack there of) and planning some afterschool-ing to keep up our grammar and math. :tongue_smilie:

I hope everyone else had a successful day! :grouphug: Now to survive Day 2...

:iagree: Just checking in to see how it went today!

Thanks so much for saying this. I really think my biggest fear is failing my kids and I am constantly second-guessing my decisions. I do love them a lot. I guess that's why this is so hard.

Thankfully DD7 had a great day also. She is exhausted and was starving so much that she had a stomach ache. She was shocked that they didn't actually do any school work today. :) But she thanked me for letting her go and told me "You made the right decision, Mom." Thank goodness she is stronger than me!

Looks like this public school thing is going to stick. ;) I guess now I can start fretting about the academics (or lack there of) and planning some afterschool-ing to keep up our grammar and math. :tongue_smilie:

I hope everyone else had a successful day! :grouphug: Now to survive Day 2...

That's great! I'm not so excited about the academics of my kids' school either. I'm hoping this is just a one year thing, so I'm not going to stress for now. Ds came home with homework (just spelling words) and a few completed worksheets.

My kids were also starving! Dd barely ate her lunch. She told me she didn't have time. :confused: I hope this isn't a regular occurrence for her (or I guess she'll just have to learn how to eat faster).