Menu

Looking for a FABULOUS story Bible (or Bible curriculum). Help me find it!

Megicce

Not sure if I'm looking for the impossible here, but here are my criteria. If you know something that fits them, PLEASE let me know! (I've been researching for days and running into brick walls every way I turn.)

1. A sense of the "whole-Bible story" - i.e., not a whole bunch of disconnected moralistic tales, but a book that presents the Bible as what it is, one continuous story of God and mankind over the course of history.

2. Not embellished with lots of extrabiblical details that I'm going to have to "unteach" my kids when they get older. I'd prefer not to have to explain that some things in the story are true and some things we don't really know for sure. I think you can compellingly tell Bible stories without adding tons of fabricated details.

3. Not containing an overemphasis on "punishment" and "angry God" stuff. I personally think there is a huge difference between punishment and discipline, and believe God's discipline, even when unpleasant, is for our good and not simply because he is peeved. I'd like to communicate that to my kids. :)

4. Not from a Reformed theological perspective. (We are not Reformed.)

I'm posting simply because I have no idea where else to turn to find what we're looking for! I'm also open to hearing about other resources/books/curriculum that can help me begin to paint a picture for my children of the WHOLE story of God's redemption, and the Bible not as a series of stories of what to do and not to do, but as a story of God's love and plan to redeem us from Creation 'til now.

Note: My eldest is K-age, but I'm open to things that require a higher level of vocabulary, etc. I don't think it's bad to introduce them to words that I have to explain. :)

Thank you for any input! :bigear:

• Like 1

I'd recommend

101 Favorite Stories from the Bible By Ura Miller (prob too advanced for your 2yo, but great for the 4yo) or,

The Bible in Pictures by Kenneth Taylor (right in between your dc)

The content of the Jesus Storybook Bible is good but I hate the pictures. YMMV.

I love the Storybook Bible by Vos and Egermeier's but they are probably too advanced for your dc. I use Egermeier's at 5-6yo and Vos at 6-7yo depending on the boy.

We love The Big Picture Story Bible by David Helm. Here is a link from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Big-Picture-Story-Bible-Book/dp/1433523914/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346025061&sr=1-1&keywords=big+picture+story+bible

It presents the Bible as one continuous story from Genesis to Revelation. It's very interesting and has great pictures. My daughter loves it! We got it when she was 4 (she is now almost 6) and we have read through it several times. It's wonderful!

Bethany

We really love the VOS Child's Story Bible. It tells the whole story, including many details that other storybook Bibles leave out. There is extra narrative to keep it at a kid's interest level, but I think its really close to the actual text.

My oldest is K age also and we love the Jesus Storybook Bible. It is a paraphrase of the Bible. But is a great big picture view of God's love, man, and redemption. I do edit slightly as I read occasionally just because of your point #2, it is paraphrased and in story form, but it is FABULOUS.

Oh, and I love the pictures in it, so it truly is a YMMV thing.

Edited by Mommie_Jen

Hurlbut’s Story of the Bible. He was a Methodist Episcopal minister. It is very nearly the entire bible, and there are not too many editorial additions. It was written for a lower elementary Sunday School curriculum, and both the story and questions to go with it are available online. And it’s free on Librivox.

your kids are too young, but this is a fabulous follow-up to the Jesus storybook as it ties the whole old testament into God's redemptive plan through Jesus:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Gospel-Story-Bible-Discovering/dp/1936768127/ref=la_B003T5EFPO_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346091586&sr=1-2

and this devotional book:

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Story-Short-Ten-Minute-Devotions/dp/1935273817/ref=la_B003T5EFPO_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346091586&sr=1-1

I'm also open to hearing about other resources/books/curriculum that can help me begin to paint a picture for my children of the WHOLE story of God's redemption, and the Bible not as a series of stories of what to do and not to do, but as a story of God's love and plan to redeem us from Creation 'til now.
You are describing, almost to a T, a series of DVDs called What's in the Bible with Buck Denver by Phil Vischer, one of the creators of Veggie Tales. I would almost never advocate DVDs over books, so this tells you what I think of the resource!

My daughter won the first DVD from the What's in the Bible with Buck Denver series a few years ago. I had heard about it, but I wasn't interested in another DVD series at the time, and frankly, I'm not big on puppets. :)

I was bowled over by the quality of the videos' content from the beginning. They are puppets, but they aren't juvenile--the quirky style of humor appeals to all ages and keeps you engaged. In fact, my Mom and I spent an enjoyable afternoon watching one of them without the kids! As a high school Sunday School teacher for almost ten years now, I am routinely horrified by the lack of Biblical knowledge in kids (and adults, for that matter). In most cases, kids are taught through a series of high-interest stories that, depending on the curriculum used (if any) may or may not tie well to each other. Rarely do they get to reading anything like the epistles or some of the more "boring" parts of the Pentateuch until middle or high school. And it's a really rare teacher or curriculum that teaches the kids to ask questions and to think (Biblically) for him or herself.

The entire WITB series is based on the premise that the Bible is God's redemption plan. The first video has what I would say is the best introduction to salvation and redemption that I've seen, particularly for kids. (Although my husband has suggested that it should be required viewing for adults as well!) It is directly linked to why we need to be redeemed and saved, which kicks off Genesis/Creation/sin in the Garden of Eden. The subject matter is serious, and sin is treated as no laughing matter, but introducing it with the promise of salvation keeps things from becoming depressing. They are not preaching an angry, vengeful God, but a God who loved us enough to provide that plan of salvation.

Basically, the series is planned as a walk through each of the books of the Bible; they are currently up to Jonah. (And if you want a challenge, try teaching Song of Solomon to kids without totally sidestepping its meaning or overexposing young children to sexual themes! I think they navigated it quite nicely.)

The series also tackles other issues, especially in its occasional spots called "Tricky Bits with Phil". I am completely with you about your concerns on whether or not things have to be "unlearned" later and about having a curriculum that presents a particular denominational/creedal standpoint (that you don't share). I think the series does a great job of acknowledging and explaining that there are "in-house" debates among Christians--how Creation came about and the age of the earth come immediately to mind--and examining the positions without taking sides. That has led to some great discussions at home about what we believe.

Some of the other "Tricky Bits" deal with things things that your kids will be confronted with in the world, like whether you can be a good scientist without being an atheist. Those, unsurprisingly, come out with a decidedly Christian stance. I appreciate that those issues are brought up, because it's an introduction to apologetics and also an inoculation of sorts -- my kids will already be prepared to hear about those challenges to Christianity; they won't be caught on the chin when they hit secondary school.

Oh, and the discussion on why we don't have to follow all of the Old Testament commands, even though God never changes, was excellent. I'm betting that my kids now have a better handle on that issue than many Christian adults.

But I've totally digressed. The Tricky Bits are a fairly minor part of the series. It is primarily an introduction to the Bible and to orthodox (with a "little o") Christian theology. I can say that we are Baptist and our kids' guardians are Catholic, and both of our families are enjoying the series greatly. From the basic understanding of the Bible and Biblical tenets, you can add your own family/denominational beliefs and add to their Biblical overview by reading more about the Biblical book or characters' stories, or you could choose use the DVD as an introduction to that book of the Bible, then read a children's paraphrase Bible to read the book yourselves.

Anyhow, I can't say how happy I've been with these videos. They are a good, solid introduction to Biblical literacy. Plus, they're just plain fun to watch! The only real downside is, possibly, the price. They aren't expensive videos, but there are already nine of them, I believe. I think they're aiming for the complete set to be in the 13-15 video range (Genesis to Revelation).

For video samples, including the first five minutes of the first video, you can go to http://www.jellytelly.com/show/whats-in-the-bible/

Good luck!

Pamela

You are describing, almost to a T, a series of DVDs called What's in the Bible with Buck Denver by Phil Vischer, one of the creators of Veggie Tales. I would almost never advocate DVDs over books, so this tells you what I think of the resource!

:iagree:I forgot about this! These are GREAT videos!!! We are getting each one as they are released!

Bethany

This has got to be the most beautiful children's Bible I have ever seen. Thanks for the recommendation. And I love how so much of the text is from the Bible.

The Story Bible

http://www.cph.org/p-18257-the-story-bible.aspx?REName=Books and Bibles&plk=240&Lk=0&rlk=0

This is the best Bible story book I have ever seen. I wish that it had been published when my DD was younger.

My family loves, loves, loves Bible Study Guide For All Ages. The website has great info. The student pages are fun (even if a bit redundant) we don't use them now as we have found the review questions and activities in the teacher guide or more than sufficient. However they may be fun for littles. I have been super impressed with the grasp my children have of God's Word as we have worked through this guide. They memorize, underline, and review in a way that has been very effective.

As with anything, what you have and use is always the best curriculum:001_smile:

There have been many rec's for bible storybooks. For curriculum, I love Telling God's Story (Peacehill Press). It starts with Jesus. And then keeps going with Jesus. :) At some point I plan to use the Who is God series from Apologia. For daily learning of Bible stories we use Grapevine.

We enjoy the Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd Jones.

For those that use this Bible, which edition do you prefer? It looks like the different editions vary slightly. Amazon carries a read-aloud edition and CBD has the "regular" edition.

Also looks like there are worksheets that can be purchased as well? Has anyone used those?

This looks great!

You don't like the illustrations?!? They are my favorite part! I thought everybody loved the pictures!

They are too cartoony and creepy to me. We do own it and the boys have read it, but it is my least favorite children's Bible in the house. I much prefer the more lifelike pictures in The Bible in Pictures.

your kids are too young, but this is a fabulous follow-up to the Jesus storybook as it ties the whole old testament into God's redemptive plan through Jesus:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Gospel-Sto...6091586&sr=1-2

and this devotional book:

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Story-Sho...6091586&sr=1-1

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Love these! They are too old for yours right now, but when you are ready!

Well when I first read the Jesus Storybook Bible I broke down in tears more than once. My daughter got saved while reading that Bible. We have read through it 3 times. I use it in Sunday School.

I cannot express how much I love The Jesus Storybook Bible.

I think the illustrations are precious, and poignant. My children understand the illustrations and asked lots of questions about them.

They are too cartoony and creepy to me. We do own it and the boys have read it, but it is my least favorite children's Bible in the house. I much prefer the more lifelike pictures in The Bible in Pictures.

I find the illustrations to be so very precious. From an adult perspective, I enjoy realistic illustrations. But children see the world in a special way. My Aspergers son and my sweet, emotional daughter both resonate with the illustrations. They bring out aspects of characters, humanity, feelings, and color that opens the children's eyes and makes them ponder.

Not sure if I'm qualified to answer this question.... but we also love The Jesus Storybook Bible. (I am also known to cry when reading it.) We use it as our daily bible reading. My children are 1 thru 6 years. We have also used Telling God's Story for a curriculum.

ETA: I really don't think there will exist a "perfect" Bible storybook or curriculum out there (for us, anyway) just as there is no "perfect" church, "perfect" pastor, "perfect" devotional, etc... When and if I feel the need to add/edit the content of any of the other, I do so in prayer and reflection of my own (grown-up ;)) Bible. Just something I try to remember.

Edited by mamamindy

I find the illustrations to be so very precious. From an adult perspective, I enjoy realistic illustrations. But children see the world in a special way. My Aspergers son and my sweet, emotional daughter both resonate with the illustrations. They bring out aspects of characters, humanity, feelings, and color that opens the children's eyes and makes them ponder.

I'm glad there are multiple options out there so we can choose the one that fits our family best. My dc tend to identify cartoon-like illustrations with fiction.

seek and Find Bible is my favorite for the kids. I even use it to teach childrens church each sunday. it has a picture, summary story, reference passage, bible verse, comprehension questions and further reading. It has done a great job on hitting most of the bible stories that are age appropriate for the 3rd grade and under, I think my helpers have even learned a lot form it.