Menu

How many rooms would you let "kid stuff" spill out over

We have:

1 small living room

1 dining room that connects living room and kitchen

1 small family room that has a causal table where we eat and the TV, couch etc

1 DD age 8

DD has 1 small bedroom that is full.

We have a basement that is full of 'stuff' (we haven't totally sorted through and figured out what to do with all the stuff we've received from various grandparents and parents as they've died or downsized. And its all in the basement along with all the christmas/holiday stuff, cast off furniture (the toddle bed), etc.

We also have a 'guest' bedroom that my DH has taken over to also serve as office.

So we currently have kids stuff everywhere. Dining room has school work.

Main question is: Should I say that there can be no kid stuff in the living room? Or should I just wait until DD gets older. Even if I do, the dining room is visible and full of kid stuff. What to do? Feel free to offer other solutions.

My kids' stuff is relegated to their bedroom (1 small shared room) and part of the family room. They are allowed to bring one thing at a time out from there if they are using it, but it is not allowed to be left lying around.

If we get to the point where there is too much stuff for the space allotted, it's time to get rid of some stuff.

DD room is really small even for a kids room. We have a big bin of dress up clothes in the Living Room. It won't currently fit in her room or the dining room. I guess I need to clean out both rooms to see if I can find a better place for it. I guess then the smaller things in the living room will be easier to deal with.

When I was growing up, my dad insisted that all kids stuff had to be in our rooms. So, when he was home, there was really no interaction between adults and kids. I so did not want that for my family.

When dd was younger, her stuff was everywhere. I wanted her to be wherever we (parents). It worked out really well for us.

Now that she's just about ready to be on her own, I insist that she put her stuff away in her own room because I can't stand the mess.

We have a no toys on the main floor policy. There is still some "kid stuff." Board games are stored nicely in the living room and there are book baskets in there for the kids as well. And homeschool stuff is in the dining room. But otherwise, I'm good with that. It seems perfectly reasonable to me to keep it as adult as can be managed when the kids have other spaces.

We have:

Main question is: Should I say that there can be no kid stuff in the living room? Or should I just wait until DD gets older. Even if I do, the dining room is visible and full of kid stuff. What to do? Feel free to offer other solutions.

It is your house. There are no shoulds! ;) If you would like a kid-stuff free room, by all means say there can be no kid stuff in the living room and/or the dining room. My siblings and I were allowed to play in our rooms or the family room, but my parents reserved the living room for adults/company. It worked well for them. :001_smile:

My kids' dress-up clothes are in the bottom drawer of their dresser. I can't wait for them to outgrow that particular interest! I could use the space!

My kids have a bunk bed and some of their toys are stored on the top bunk, and also in the three drawers under the bed. So that helps.

I would say that we have kids stuff just about everywhere in our house. I mostly insist that it's kept reasonably tidy, but I'm very happy with kids stuff everywhere. I feel very sad when I think about the day when it will be all gone, and I'm sure that day will come around all too quickly :crying:.

Edited by Cassy

DD room is really small even for a kids room. We have a big bin of dress up clothes in the Living Room. It won't currently fit in her room or the dining room. I guess I need to clean out both rooms to see if I can find a better place for it. I guess then the smaller things in the living room will be easier to deal with.

Have you thought about raising up her bed and using the space underneath for storage?

I also insist kid stuff stay in their rooms. Although they can bring out stuff to play with in the other areas of the homes, it must be put away once they are done. Dress up clothes are in an old suitcase tucked under their beds. We do have a cabinet in the dining room filled with puzzles and board games, and their books are intermingled with our books on the coffee table. School stuff stays in the school room/office.

During the day everyone spreads out through the house, but at 8:30 every night everyone, adult and child, must put all their stuff from the day away. I can't tolerate clutter, it actually makes me feel a bit panicky and I get a short temper. I'm a bit over-organized so I won't sleep unless everything is put back in order, dishes are done, and everything is clean. Perhaps my failing, but the family seems to have adjusted.

I like the main living spaces to be uncluttered, so this means that both adults and kids need to pick up their things when they aren't in use. Books go on bookshelves, games and puzzles get put away when not in use, DVDs and CDs go back on the shelf, etc.

Kids are welcome to bring toys into the main living spaces while they are playing, but are expected to pick up when they are done. If your daughter has more toys that she plays with than you can fit in your living space given your desired level of clutteredness, find a place to store some and rotate them in and out of the main rooms.

I also like furniture for the main living rooms that hides storage.

We had four kids (and two adults and a dog) in 900 sq feet. My mental health improved as I decluttered.

We have kid stuff in every room, except my mom's bedroom. (And she even has "kid's stuff" there, if you count all the arts and crafts DD has made for her. :D)

All DD's arts and crafts are in a toy box in the dining room, right next to the dining room table, which is where she does arts and crafts. Her doll house, and two big bins of toys are in the living room. She doesn't like to play in her room alone. Even when she's playing by herself, she'd rather be out with us. As long as everything is mostly put away at the end of the night, I'm okay with that.

She has a bin of kitchen stuff in the kitchen (the stuff she uses to cook with) and a bunch of magnet toys on the fridge, and a bunch of bathtub toys in a basket in the bathroom.

And of course all the toys in our room. (We share a room.)

She may or may not have too many toys...... :lol: But even if we COULD fit all her toys in our room, I wouldn't force her to keep everything in the room. She likes being with me when she's playing, even if she's not actually playing WITH me. And it doesn't bother me to let her keep a little bit of toys out in the living room. AND I found that if she already has toys out there she's more likely to play with the toys then turn on the TV. When I tried keeping toys out of the living room, she would just be lazy and turn on the TV instead of taking time to drag out toys.

If you had a lot of kids spaced over several years, you might need a policy to function, but one child? I say ENJOY it. As they get older, their things get smaller and easier to manage. It will go sooo quickly. I used to keep a toy kitchen in my kitchen. It's been gone for 7 years and the toys have all been replaced with books and gadgets. Seriously, it felt like a blink of an eye, and I have two kids who are 3 1/2 years apart.

*Most* of the time, I have a "toys are only allowed in the playroom and sunroom" policy. Sometimes they will play at the kitchen table or the living room floor but they are to put the toys away as soon as they are finished...no leaving them lying around in those areas. If they want to leave a village set up, it has to be in the playroom or sunroom. When guests are coming over, they must remove the toys from the sunroom as well.

The only toys that stay in the living room is a basket full of toys for the baby.

I have a teen, so the only kid stuff that is out of place occasionally is his Physics homework or his music bags. I do have him put it away and hang up his bags. But the pianos and the organs are all his, and they are the focus of the living room and music room. But you were probably asking about little kids. When DS was little, the living room was playroom. We had a big chest with toys in it and he could take everything out and play all day if he wanted. We did tidy everything every night though. But it was OK if the house was full of toys during the day. When he stopped being so little (8) we got 2 bad dogs who chew stuff. So there was no more kids stuff around. He had to put everything away right away or it would get chewed. I guess that was a good transition to being a big kid. Then at about 10 he stopped playing with toys (!)

He started playing music better--stopped being a beginner, and began composing.

Anyway, I have now gone off on a tangent. But things changed about the kid stuff in the house.

If we had another child or adopted, I would have the toys in the child's room only, or in the dining room/living room, where the bad dogs are not allowed. And there would never be any on the floor, for chewing reasons.

How many rooms do we have "kid stuff" in? The same number that have "adult stuff" in them. They live here too.

I agree.

But, we don't have lots of kid stuff in our living room/dining room

But we have couch cushions, couch pillows, dinning room table and chairs .. Or in other words a fort.

My kids often play with whatever, pots, pans, rearrange chairs, crawl under tables, spread out papers and pencils, ...

So no toys spread out. Just stuff were adults wouldn't have them.

I have younger kids, so we have toys in every room, because the youngest needs to be near where I am so I can keep an eye on her. I hate it! I'd like just one "nice" room.

I say 1 child, age 8, you can definitely reclaim a room. She can play in her room, she can play in the family room, she can do schoolwork in the dining room. If she really wants to bring a toy into the living room, she can bring it right back out when she's done.

When I was a kid, I had a few friends whose parents kept formal living rooms. Some of them, the kids weren't even allowed into, ever! One of my best friends was only allowed to go in there for her 1/2 hour of piano practice per day. Those kids all seem to have grown up into happy, functional adults.

No stuff in the living room.

If she cannot contain her toys in her bedroom (other than bringing one thing out to play with and then putting it back), then I'm thinking she might have too many toys.

No question about it. This is true. The question becomes which toys need to go.

Thanks for all the responses. It seems there are the 'toys in the room' camp and the 'toys can be everywhere' camp. I'm just glad it didn't descend into a shoes on/off or cupcake war. :)

Edited by OrganicAnn

The kids each have toys in their bedrooms. I have a bin I keep under the entertainment center in the livingroom for stray toys. These sometimes stay there for a month, but it is a small amount. I also have 1 bin down in the schoolroom for my youngers.

Whatever you prefer is what works best. If you don't mind it everywhere, let it be.

My kids are allowed to have stuff in their own rooms and bathroom and that's it. In fact, when I see toys or 'things' sitting around in my main living area for more than an hour or so, it really grates on my nerves.

We keep baskets on the stairs for each room upstairs. I'll either make them come pick their things up, or I'll put it in their basket.

DS13 has 2 bedrooms. One is his bedroom and the other is his "studio." When he was younger it was a playroom but now that he's older it has his drum set, a pull out couch, tv etc. I won't allow a tv in his bedroom so this was a good compromise. He likens the room to a man cave. None of his "personal stuff" is allowed to spill out into other areas of the house. We have school stuff in the office and dining room but I don't consider those "personal" items. If there was more stuff than space, I would be getting rid of some things. I can't stand clutter.

In our house, educational "toys" (read, expensive stuff that needs supervised, things with lots of small parts, and things they can cause bodily injury with) are kept in the living room (and orderly because I like them that way). Other toys stay in the bedroom. There is no mixing of these toys.

If it doesn't stay in the bedroom, and the mess spills out, then I purge toys.

All I can tell you is what my mother says about my sisters house and mine.

1. At my sisters house you would not think any children live there.

2. At my house you would think only children live there.

It is your house. Do what you are comfortable with.

We have kid stuff in the kids' rooms and in the play/learning room. They're not allowed to leave their stuff anywhere else in the house. They do sometimes get away with playing in the lounge (mainly because it's the warm room in winter) but I'm pretty strict about keeping toys out of the rest of the house.

Btw I'm talking about toys here. We have loads of kid books in the lounge as well as some in their individual book cases since we changed the whole book setup. They used to all have hundreds of their own personal books, then we decided to keep most of the books in the lounge book case and each kid could take a selection of their favorites for their bedroom.

No question about it. This is true. The question becomes which toys need to go.

Thanks for all the responses. It seems there are the 'toys in the room' camp and the 'toys can be everywhere' camp. I'm just glad it didn't descend into a shoes on/off or cupcake war. :)

Not that I'm a pot-stirrer or anything, but...

cakes_01467_m.jpg