Menu

Christian girls ear piercing?

I am a Christian but do not understand why some Christians are against ear piercing when a girl is in her teens? Anyone care to enlighten me? Why do some not allow it until the child is 18, even if they are still living at home?

My DD will be 13 soon and I'm interested in the pros & cons. I understand the pros & cons about being able to take care of them, infection, etc...

TIA!

umm, I got DD ears done when she was 7 months old, same age I was. So I obviously don't see anything wrong with it, and I am a Christian. I know there are some that believe you shouldn't have any sort of adornment what so ever, but if think it's ok to eventually get done, idk, maybe they just don't like them, some people don't :shrug:

I dunno. I had my dds' ears pierced when they were 6mo and 3½yo; by the time they were teens, piereced ears were a done-deal for them. The only issue I have is that IMHO some people let their dds were earrings that are not age appropriate, such as long dangly, sparkly earrings. I think young girls should wear small, petite pearls or other little things.:)

At 13, she should be able to completely take care of them on her own. DD got hers done at 7 and she was able to clean them daily herself. She needed help changing her earrings at first, but she is able to do that now as well.

I have no idea why some Christians don't allow ear piercing. Of course, some don't allow women to wear pants, so I guess some people live with a lot more rules than we do.

I think in life there comes a time to do what you want to do without regard to the reasons someone else may have come up with to oppose those actions. There are big issues in life in which you might want some outside input but for the small stuff...you can judge for yourself if it fits with your belief system or not.

:001_smile:

I am a Christian but do not understand why some Christians are against ear piercing when a girl is in her teens? Anyone care to enlighten me? Why do some not allow it until the child is 18, even if they are still living at home?

My DD will be 13 soon and I'm interested in the pros & cons. I understand the pros & cons about being able to take care of them, infection, etc...

TIA!

I chose to quit wearing earrings a couple of years ago for religious reasons (someone who is like a godmother to me and I were speaking about this for some reason one day and she said in the history of our church it was traditional to not have body parts pierced or otherwise altered). That was enough for me; it's not legalistic or just another rule to follow at all. That said, I have no opinion on other Christians who may or may not wear earrings. It's not my concern in the least. Just posting to let you know that yes, some Christians don't pierce for religious reasons, and respect flows best when it flows both ways.

Edited by milovaný

I can't answer your question on the pro's and con's of ear piercing, but I can give you my perspective on your first question, as to why some Christians don't let their teenagers pierce their ears. I'm sure there are people who choose not to for different reasons, but our main reason is that we believe in the adornment of the fruits of the Spirit, rather than outward adornment. However, I realize it was widely done in the bible days - probably especially the Old Testament. I have no problem with any one that does wear any type of jewellery or have piercings of any kind. I'd never make a judgement, or question their reasoning. I respect the decisions that they have made, just as I'd hope they'd respect ours without undue questioning or judgements. :001_smile:

Edited by Isabella

Dd12 has double pierced ears. They look ADORABLE on her. The first holes were done when She was one year old. I don't remember them being uneven but they did look off a couple of years ago.:001_huh: dd got the second holes for her 12th birthday and we were both surprised at how everything now looks even. :001_huh:

SCANDALOUS!!! ;)

dd9 has had her ears pierced twice. Both times they got severely infected and had scar tissue for months. I don't think I will try again because I fear permanent scarring on her.

There is a passage in the Bible discussing slaves who chose to stay with the master despite the year of Jubilee being required to pierce their ear in order to show that they were choosing to remain. There are other passages that discuss outside adornment such as jewelry, fine clothes and make-up. Of course, there are also passages that discuss the use of specific adornments and special clothing.

My DD is still young, so I'm not facing a teen who wants earrings. But right now, I plan to wait until she has had time to read the relevant passages on her own and allow her to make the decision. I have pierced ears so it's not a judgment issue so much as it is a matter of spiritual leading. I want her to ask God and listen for an answer. :)

I am assuming the OP asked because she wants to make an informed decision and is genuinely wondering what the reasoning for not piercing is. I don't think just because someone choose a path of their calling they are judging others. Nor is it a matter of caring what others think but of edifying one another, as Christians are called to do. We do not have to agree. Some folks homeschool for religious reasons as well, but that doesn't mean they consider those who do not to be "wrong" just led to a different path.

Edited by MomatHWTK

There is a passage in the Bible discussing slaves who chose to stay with the master despite the year of Jubilee being required to pierce their ear in order to show that they were choosing to remain.

I remember my mom telling me about this, however she took my sisters and I to get our ears pierced when we were teens.

I stopped wearing earrings when I had kids and my holes have closed up. If any of my dds wanted to get their ears pierced, I'd probably get mine redone. No interest yet...

My daughter and I both have pierced ears. She got hers for her 13th birthday; I had gotten mine for my 16th birthday! We are a Christian family.

There are some verses in the Bible that may be interpreted as prohibiting ear piercing. The most well-known (for lack of a better term) are in the OT. There are some in the NT as well. Here are two I found in a quick search; don't know about others.

Leviticus 19:28 ...You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the Lord.

1 Timothy 2:9-10 ...likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works.

Obviously my family did not interpret them that way, but I can see how people might.

I'm not sure what you (OP) mean by pros and cons. It would probably depend on your church. If I went to a church that had a strict belief regarding this, I guess I would not let my daughter pierce her ears.

Edited by marbel

side note @Denisemomof4--getting severely infected twice in a row upon piercing might be related to a metal allergy...that's what mine did. Third time we were more careful to use pure gold; titanium and other rare metals are even more hypoallergenic. Sometimes even the gold can be made with nickel, or can be plated over cheaper metal, or stupid stuff like the post is gold but the fasteners aren't. I can't even begin to tell you the horror stories of earrings I've bought that should have been safe and weren't. But, once we found the right ones, I did have a successful piercing. And scar tissue from the original infected site. the successful piercing had to be offset just a little because of the lump where the first two healed.

TIA!

Here are 2 opposing views, each using the Bible to justify their take on the issue. If you google "ear-piercing Christian view" you'll find quite a few articles discussing the issue. Consider the views and decide what fits with your Christian beliefs.

As far as waiting until the child is 18, I'm assuming the reason is that the child is viewed as an adult at 18, able to read the Bible for themselves and make their own decisions based on their beliefs.

http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/tattoos.shtml

http://www.bible-knowledge.com/tattoos-body-piercing/

Edited by shanvan

:001_smile:

I chose to quit wearing earrings a couple of years ago for religious reasons (someone who is like a godmother to me and I were speaking about this for some reason one day and she said in the history of our church it was traditional to not have body parts pierced or otherwise altered). That was enough for me; it's not legalistic or just another rule to follow at all. That said, I have no opinion on other Christians who may or may not wear earrings. It's not my concern in the least. Just posting to let you know that yes, some Christians don't pierce for religious reasons, and respect flows best when it flows both ways.

I'm with Milovany. Well, I didn't have anyone say anthing to me, but I quit wearing earrings (all jewelry, actually; except I got rid of my original engagement and wedding bands, and got a less expensive/less showy plainish band to wear) shortly after being saved six years ago. It was a personal thing. Nothing leagalistic or anything. It was kind of a transition for me, since I'd had them pierced since I was 8. I also got a piercing on my upper left ear as a 19 year old. I quit wearing earrings in all three holes.

That said, I don't judge sisters I know who wear earrings. Usually, I think they're quite pretty, in fact. My decision was for ME. In fact, sometimes now I think about wearing them again. I dunno. I might ask my dh what he thinks about it sometime.

I had so many problems with infections and cysts (even with solid gold and post protectors) that I let my holes close up a long time ago. I will have my DD who wants her ears pierced (the older one has no interest) wait until she's older in case she has similar reactions. I would personally never get mine pierced again, let alone make multiple attempts. Not worth it to me just for jewelry. I don't know anyone who objects to ear piercing on religious grounds, but I have heard similar arguments against tattoos before.

Until I married my now-husband and we had a daughter, I didn't know anyone was against ear piercing.

What did you hear that makes you think Christians are against it?

I am not trying to argue anyone out of their personal convictions. Your convictions are between you and God.

I will post a couple of links that are in opposition to those above, just for anyone looking for a balanced view.

First, I have to disagree with one of the authors that "dressing modestly" in the 1 Timothy passage meant making sure you are covered. The passage is clearly talking about not dressing extravagantly.

Second, many of these verses are forbidding religious rites from other groups and cults (in the ancient sense of the word).

http://www.karaite-korner.org/shaving.shtml

http://www.sacredink.net/tattoo_and_the_bible/

Exodus 35:22 shows that they wore adornments

Young's Literal Translation

And they come in -- the men with the women -- every willing-hearted one -- they have brought in nose-ring, and ear-ring, and seal-ring, and necklace, all golden goods, even every one who hath waved a wave-offering of gold to Jehovah.

Other such verses: Ezekiel 16:11, Numbers 31:50, Judges 8:24, Isaiah 3:21

How about a Jewish understanding of these practices?

http://mobile.myjewishlearning.com/practices/Ethics/Our_Bodies/Adorning_the_Body/Body_Piercing.shtml

He returns to the idea of not being extravagant, not calling attention to oneself.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I am not trying to argue anyone out of their personal convictions. Your convictions are between you and God.

I will post a couple of links that are in opposition to those above, just for anyone looking for a balanced view.

He returns to the idea of not being extravagant, not calling attention to oneself.

First, let me state that the links I posted do not reflect my own position. I kind of picked them out of a hat, so to speak. They were meant to show that if you really want to know why some Christians are against it, and why some aren't, googling will provide a plethora of explanations.

I thought they gave differing conclusions. One says we need to follow the OT restrictions, the other says we don't. I posted them as a sampling and encouragement to the OP to investigate more *if* she really wants to get into the issue. Your links look interesting too--more to consider for the OP.

As far as not calling attention to oneself, I find this a difficult concept to get my head around and I think it can be taken too far. I have a couple of friends who do not need to do anything special to get attention. They are just beautiful to look at and they can't help it. Then there is the whole issue of do you go out of your way to look frumpy on purpose or mismatch your clothes so you don't look good? :lol: That can become a whole other pride issue.

I asked Dh about all this after a recent sermon and he told me to keep right on dressing nicely for church. He wants me to look nice. He doesn't want me to look indecent, but he likes me to look good without spending a fortune or paying too much attention to clothing. He doesn't see any point in me going out of my way to wear clothes that make me look bad. I will admit, I have some outfits that just llok so nice on me that they probably do call attention, ditto for Dd. I've had people come up to me after church to compliment me on how I dress her. I don't spend a lot and mostly shop at our local thrift shop, but I like things that look pleasing to the eye.

I was just adding some more perspectives. :)

I don't think there is anything wrong with looking nice. If anyone is asking, then I would think they are talking more about looking like this:

22messner-3.190.jpg

Looking crazy, gaudy, totally distracting is different than making yourself look presentable and nice.

I was just adding some more perspectives. :)

I don't think there is anything wrong with looking nice. If anyone is asking, then I would think they are talking more about looking like this:

22messner-3.190.jpg

Looking crazy, gaudy, totally distracting is different than making yourself look presentable and nice.

How did you know what I wore to church last week? :lol::lol:

I had so many problems with infections and cysts (even with solid gold and post protectors) that I let my holes close up a long time ago. I will have my DD who wants her ears pierced (the older one has no interest) wait until she's older in case she has similar reactions.

I have had a similar experience. I got my ears pierced when I was 24. About 10 years later my ears would get inflamed if I wore my earrings longer than a day. Finally I stopped wear them and the holes have closed up. My dd wants her ears pierced. Based on my experience, I'm advising her not to get her ears pierced until she is at least 18. Hopefully if she develops problems later, she will have enjoyed earrings in her 20's and 30's - prime dating/marriage years when I enjoyed wearing pretty earrings and dressed up more. BTW, we're Christians and my dh's family used to own a ear piercing and earring shop. No issue from a religious standpoint. My sister is also a Christian, but she believes it is desecrating the body.

Edited by Evergreen State Sue

TIA!

Because some people have nothing better to do than try and judge others?? Seriously---my question is why do some Christians think a nose piercing means a girl is loose or immoral?? Dd got her ears pierced at probably 10 and we noticed no loosening of morals or lessening of her faith. Again, when she was about 17, we let Her get her nose pierced and again noticed no sudden loosening of morals and such. If someone wants to deduce from Bbible readings that piercings are bad, that's their prerogative not mine or that of my family!

I was not allowed to until I was an adult and chose not to when the time came. At 11 I REALLY wanted my ears pierced. I wanted to be like all the other girls. My Dad felt strongly against it, and by the time I was of age I didn't want to waste my time and money on earrings. I don't regret having non-pierced ears, although I think it was a little hard for some weddings I was in because I had to get clip on things to alter the earrings the bridesmaids were supposed to wear.

For my Dad it was a Christian conviction. For me, I could see his feeling that beauty is from within and not adornments, but I don't have any beef against people who choose to pierce. As a part of my desire to be authentic in my faith and life I do choose to skip things like piercing and hair dying, but I don't think that a person needs to make the same choice. My poor Dad when my brother chose to pierce at 18... :)