Menu

DD's Bday Party Vent

So far, my little family has kept birthday parties fairly small. Most of the parties have been family or family friends. My kids have enjoyed their parties, but they just haven't been huge like some families we know.

Fast forward to this year, my dd is turning five. She goes to a preschool that also is a daycare, so she has continued to attend all summer. Since all of the kids are "graduating" and moving onto Kindergarten, she begged to have a party and invite all of her preschool friends. I don't know many of the parents well, so I knew we would have to have the party away from our home (I thought kids would be more likely to come). We reserved the brand-new local spray ground for 7:15 this evening. Yes, it is late, but some other kids in her class have also had late parties that have been well-attended.

It is birthday party day and I have heard from exactly TWO of the kids in her class. They are coming. My 12 year old niece is also coming. That is all.

We also invited a few church families and none of them can attend. At least they RSVP'd. (That's a whole other rant...does no one know how to RSVP anymore???)

I am disappointed that dd is going to be disappointed. I am furious with myself for spending this kind of money on a party and no one is coming.

THIS is why I don't do big parties. And mark my words...I will not make this mistake again. :glare:

(Thanks for reading my vent).

I am disappointed that dd is going to be disappointed. I am furious with myself for spending this kind of money on a party and no one is coming.

IME summer b-day parties are poorly attended. Everyone is camping or out of town. I keep telling myself well do an X and 1/2 party at some venue in January, but never have gotten to it.

I hope more people show and just didn't RSVP. I know what you're feeling though. We've had a party where not one single friend came. Luckily, we had a couple aunts and uncles (no kids) come and we just played games and had fun. My little man didn't even notice, really. It was his 4th birthday. It broke MY heart though.

Have a fun and happy birthday anyway!

I can totally relate. My boys both have summer birthdays too. It's not just the money you spent, but you want to have a fun party for your dd. We did a spray park party for our older ds when he was 5 too. I'm sure the party will be fun, even if it is just a few kids.

Just a thought for the future--have you thought about having a weekday morning party? That has always worked well for us, even though dh can't usually come. Parents and kids appreciate having something fun to do during the week. Weekends are really hard for people in the summer, especially in August. Most plans are set in place far in advance and can't be changed.

Since we started doing weekday morning parties, we've never had a problem with kids being able to come.

:grouphug:

She's five and will probably be thrilled with the few that do show, the water, the cake, etc. It's still HER day and HER party...and she's five :)

:iagree: As long as you don't act disappointed, she likely won't be either. But I agree that is it very possible people who did not RSVP will attend. (And that is a major peeve of mine... how hard is it to let us know you will or will not attend???)

:grouphug: We have something like that going on here too. My dd turned 10 yesterday, party is today. She invited 10 or 12 kids; 4 are coming, 2 we never heard from. We got some of the RSVPs over the last two days, even though invitations went out a month ago. She's disappointed, but still happy to have some friends over.

I can totally relate. My boys both have summer birthdays too. It's not just the money you spent, but you want to have a fun party for your dd. We did a spray park party for our older ds when he was 5 too. I'm sure the party will be fun, even if it is just a few kids.

Just a thought for the future--have you thought about having a weekday morning party? That has always worked well for us, even though dh can't usually come. Parents and kids appreciate having something fun to do during the week. Weekends are really hard for people in the summer, especially in August. Most plans are set in place far in advance and can't be changed.

Since we started doing weekday morning parties, we've never had a problem with kids being able to come.

Yes, I was hoping to have a fun party for dd. And she was envisioning all of her little preschool friends...

A weekday morning party sounds fun, but I work and so do all of her friends parents who attend her preschool (aka daycare).

This has happened to me more times than I care to count. Rent the big expensive venue, big expensive cake, and 1 (or 2) friends come. The kids usually seem happy anyway.

:grouphug: I hope your daughter has a fantastic party!

Well (this is kinda funny), but at least I didn't buy a big expensive cake. Instead I made CUPCAKES!!! And this was even before reading the infamous thread. So I guess I will have lots of yummy leftover cupcakes to eat!

Well (this is kinda funny), but at least I didn't buy a big expensive cake. Instead I made CUPCAKES!!! And this was even before reading the infamous thread. So I guess I will have lots of yummy leftover cupcakes to eat!

:lol: Can't go wrong with cupcakes! Oh, I forgot, maybe you can...but that is another thread. At least you are taking them to the PS! :D

I hope she has a wonderful birthday. She will probably have a blast having the spray ground to herself and her friends. She will likely have great memories of it.

Edited by besroma

Urgh, not RSVP'ing is a HUGE pet peeve of mine! How hard is it to pick up a freaking phone or send an email??? We had Indy's big Star Wars birthday blow out last weekend (I'm still recovering!) and invited 14 kids (way more than I would normally invite). 5 of them RSVP'd. I tracked the other moms down and told them I needed to know if their kid was coming or not. This is one of the reasons I never do parties away from home. I'm not spending a fortune on a venue and then have very few people show up.

I hope more kids show up, but if they don't I'm sure she'll be thrilled with her party any way. On the up side, you'll have all those CUPCAKES! :D

:iagree: it is extremely rude and frustrating! Especially if I give an email address to respond to-I mean how hard is it when you don't even have to make a phone call!

Too true. Also, "maybe" does not count as a proper response. If somebody has a legitimate, concrete reason (sick relative who could take a downward turn, etc.), I'm understanding. But in my experience, "maybe" tends to mean, "If we don't get a better offer and manage to get ourselves moving in time, then we'll be there. Probably late."

Hope the party was a cupcake-laden success. :)

Enjoy those cupcakes! :lol: Just make sure you're not elitist about enjoying them. :auto:

I remember having a big party for my oldest the year he went to K. I rented our local gym, rented a bounce house, provided snacks. Only 2 little boys showed up :( No one bothered to tell me they couldn't come. My heart broke for my son, I was mad for myself, and I was disappointed that we had gone to EVERY part of theirs that we were invited to, and they couldn't be bothered to reciporcate. Then, one of the other little boys moms said something that saved the party. She said "Wow, ODS! Your mom is SO COOL! She got you this whole gym and a big huge jumper for you guys to have ALL TO YOURSELVES! You are so lucky." I could have hugged her.

I have had several boys that always invited us to THEIR parties and NEVER came to my son's. I really think that's unfair, but he always wanted to go and I always let him. DD had one little girl who always refused to come to our parties (her mom would post on my FB wall "So and so says she doesn't want to come to DD's party" even!), but would want us to come to hers every year. DD caught on to that pretty quick and decided she didn't want to go. That was fine by me.

((HUGS)) the least people can do is RSVP when they get the invite.

How did it go? Did your dd have fun?

The party actually went quite well. Three additional kids came (two families), so that made it much nicer. The party was at a spray ground...and of course today was in the low 70s. Those poor kiddos were freezing, but they kept going back into the water!

Oh, and by the way, the cupcakes were FAB. And we got to eat LOTS of extras!!!

The party actually went quite well. Three additional kids came (two families), so that made it much nicer. The party was at a spray ground...and of course today was in the low 70s. Those poor kiddos were freezing, but they kept going back into the water!

I am glad that you had a decent turnout for your child's party. A spray ground party sounds like fun even in 70s.

CUPCAKES? after EVERYTHING that has transpired here? Have you learned NOTHING???!!! I say serve everyone rum balls.:D

Sorry about the turnout. I hope the party is fantastic fun anyway.

Great! Actually the number of families you had attend sounds perfect for a 5 year old's party.

:hurray::hurray::hurray: awesome!!!

CUPCAKES? after EVERYTHING that has transpired here? Have you learned NOTHING???!!! I say serve everyone rum balls.:D

Sorry about the turnout. I hope the party is fantastic fun anyway.

Actually, yes...we did have cupcakes. And my BFF attended the party, but her dd (who is gluten free) could not come. Over and over I tried to get her to take home a cupcake (with gluten, of course) for her dd. Am I cruel or what???

Actually, yes...we did have cupcakes. And my BFF attended the party, but her dd (who is gluten free) could not come. Over and over I tried to get her to take home a cupcake (with gluten, of course) for her dd. Am I cruel or what???

Yes, absolutely. ;)

So glad the party went well!