Menu

"My Father's Dragon" question

Moxie

I was sitting with a group of HS moms discussing kids books. The whole conversation was getting on my nerves because there were a few moms that were really yakking up what great readers their kids are and how hard it is to keep them supplied with good books. I was staying out of the conversation until one of the bragging moms said that she wouldn't let her kids read MFD because "it is just like Harry Potter. My child isn't allowed to read about a boy who disobeys his parents and doesn't get in trouble". I was shocked!! We really love MFD and read it every year.

Am I missing something?? Does anyone else think the MFD is inappropriate?

I've never read it but have it on the shelf to recommend to my ds8. I think that every parent has their "thing". You know, they won't let dc do this or that or watch this or read that for whatever reason. But, those same parents will allow their dc to do something or watch something that is far worse in somebody else's opinion! Does that make sense? For example, we have friends who won't let their son play at anyone else's house and won't let him watch Star Wars b/c it's too violent. :001_huh: But, they will let same dc watch WWF and boxing and use a real bb gun. :confused: To each his own, I guess! It's funny what we all have as our "thing", KWIM? I wouldn't worry about one person's bad review, IMHO.

My 9yo dd adores the MFD series and has for years, and I think it is magical and childlike. It's always interesting to me when people have one "pet issue" that they don't allow their kids exposure to, but like others have said, each family is different and I'm sure we have restrictions that others would find silly, too.

Any child who listens to a talking cat, stows away on a boat and travels to the Island of Tangerina to free a baby dragon should be punished. Severely.

:smilielol5:

:lol:

I am quite possibly the most conservative person on this board WRT books my dc read, and I think MFD is fantastic. :001_smile:

I am quite possibly the most conservative person on this board WRT books my dc read, and I think MFD is fantastic. :001_smile:
I just looked at your blog and noticed a few books I've seen others complain about on ground of morality or poor character (not just here)... chief among them, Pippi Longstocking. :ohmy:

:lol:

As for MFD, I'd bet the woman in question has either never read it or is confusing it with another book (or both).

Hmm. We've read this story and wouldn't compare tit at all to Harry Potter . She must be confusing it with something else . Or she has taken the context of the story out of proportion . Because never did it once ever remind me of Harry Potter .

I, too, was concerned about the disobedience and attitude, but I decided to read it to the dc anyway and just discuss it. I didn't get far, though, and they begged me to stop. They were horrified by the mean treatment of the cat in the beginning of the book, truly distraught, and they didn't want me to read another page, even though I assured them it would get better. It's still on the shelf waiting for someone to read it, three years later, but no one has touched it and they refused when I encouraged them to try it again. Sigh. Maybe I'll sell it when I clean out my books next time.

Well. We love MFD. It was our first read aloud...and the kids couldnt wait to finish it. They loved the story. They are always asking for me to read about the alligators that hold lollipops for each other ...so cute. That story is a great story that shows you can imagine anything.

Oh well. When I hear people making comments on books and I dont agree, I just keep my mouth shut. I know we like certain books...but to each his own. As long as no one attacks me for what we do...I just say whatever and move on to a new subject.

I have a very close friend that came up to me at the library. I was reading all the harry potter series that week and had them all in my hand. She was VERY against them....so I just placed them down so she didnt have to see them and feel ackward at all. She never said anything to me...but I make sure not to have my books that I know she wont like around her or her kids. I just try to be respectful to her view. But I loved that series too :D

I was sitting with a group of HS moms discussing kids books. The whole conversation was getting on my nerves because there were a few moms that were really yakking up what great readers their kids are and how hard it is to keep them supplied with good books. I was staying out of the conversation until one of the bragging moms said that she wouldn't let her kids read MFD because "it is just like Harry Potter. My child isn't allowed to read about a boy who disobeys his parents and doesn't get in trouble". I was shocked!! We really love MFD and read it every year.

Am I missing something?? Does anyone else think the MFD is inappropriate?

I question whether she has read either of the books, HP or MFD. HP's parents are dead (so I'm not sure how he disobeys them) and he gets into a lot of trouble.

MFD, IMHO, is quite sweet. My dd liked it. My ds did not get it. He's far too concrete a child to understand the whimsical nature of MFD.

Holly

would let their child(ren) read. This is true with movies as well. IMHO that's her right as a parent. I don't know what her background is or her current family life situation is that led her to make this decision. My husband and I have different background and so we've discussed how much media (tv, movies, music and books) that we want in our son's life. There is so much out there to choose from. So her not letting her child read a particular book is not a big deal to me. We do alot of discussion in our home as we read books and watch movies. Even Calvin and Hobbs can be used in discussions about what should be appropriate behavior/response from both Calvin and his parents.

one of the bragging moms said that she wouldn't let her kids read MFD because "it is just like Harry Potter. My child isn't allowed to read about a boy who disobeys his parents and doesn't get in trouble". I was shocked!! We really love MFD and read it every year.

Ridiculous. Did you ask her how she reached that conclusion?

I think it is a simple problems to solve. Tell your kids that if they meet a talking cat and dragon they are welcome to do as they please. ;)

I haven't introduced HP to the house yet (will later) because of content issues to do with magic and character issues with the adults practicing magic when they are banned and in a way that is banned. (So I have seen the shows. :D ) But I haven't introduced The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings yet either.

Anyway I don't see any magic in MFD, it is just fantasy.

Heather

What about James and the Giant Peach? Matilda? Here are some other situations where the kids have rotten parent (aunt) figures, and they leave that situation (in whole, part, or temporarily) to have an adventure. And later, what about Huckleberry Finn or the Adventures of Tom Sawyer?

I think in each situation there is the opportunity to discuss the parent/gaurdian-child relationship and what is appropriate or inappropriate. I would highlight that Elmer is kind, brave, and smart. I would ask what a better way of helping the cat and the dragon would be (rather than running off and stowing away on a ship). In life won't we always be confronted with examples of ideal/good and less-than-ideal/bad behavior? Of course we do our best to show example of the ideal, but we can also teach when we come across less than ideal. I (and my children) liked MFD. We'll read it again for the the younger kids. ;)

I LOVE My Father's Dragon! I have had my girls listen to the audio (well, they were trapped in the car and had no choice, LOL), and we all enjoyed it. I can't imagine thinking it was just like Harry Potter - but then, I am a Harry Potter fan so I don't have a huge problem with that either!

I think it's a sweet, UNREALISTIC book. I don't recall that the boy was disobedient, but rather that he just didn't inform his parents of his doings. I could be wrong about that too. I just got the audio from the library again so I will remember soon. :D

I don't do dragons, except as symbols of evil--pretty weird, huh? I think dd was the only one in her preschool class who wasn't allowed to see Dragon Tales.

But it's really a case of each parent making a choice--and people are absolutely right in saying it's hard to be consistent. I don't pretend I am. Dragons bug me, so I stay away. No great loss--there are tons of books, stories, movies, games, etc. for dd to explore. If she chooses a dragon book later, then fine--just not now.

That said, I'm sure it's a great story, and I know tons of folks who love it. If it works for ya, go for it. Don't give someone else's ideas another thought, if you've already resolved the issue.

Any child who listens to a talking cat, stows away on a boat and travels to the Island of Tangerina to free a baby dragon should be punished. Severely.

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

As for us, we loved MFD AND the sequels! And reading it to my children did not encourage them to disobey their parents, though it did encourage sympathy towards imprisoned baby dragons...

Merry :-)

I am on the list of those who think is it inappropriate. But then, I also never let me kids watch Arthur because I though he was toooo mean to his sister and never learned a lesson until the last 2-3 minutes of the show.

ldee

I loved MFD. We've only read the first one. I think it's a story of Courage, Determination and Compassion. Plus, it's funny.

MFD led us to read another dragon story, The Reluctant Dragon. My ds really liked that, too. It has the same kind of charatecter qualities and teaches peace and tolerance.

I like these kinds of dragon stories much better than the slayer types.

I have mixed feeling about Harry Potter, but I wouldn't restrict my dc from reading the books.

Everyone's different;)

I was thinking along the same lines. It's so imaginative that I think most children would even realize that the boy in the book disobeyed. Or make that association with real life, you know?!! It's not like he disobeyed and ate cookies before dinner w/o punishment.

I'm sure we all have different issues that we avoid. For me, I avoid all books with adoption in them because we are just not ready to cross that bridge.

Oh, and our children did not watch Dragon Tales. DH did not like the 'incantation' the kids say at the beginning and end of the show. But he was in a borderline goth group in high school. I respect his decision and realize that he is doing what he feels is best for the girls.

They were horrified by the mean treatment of the cat in the beginning of the book, truly distraught, and they didn't want me to read another page, even though I assured them it would get better.

The same thing happened here the first time we started to read it. We came across the book again a year or so later and he was able to handle it and loved it. We read the other two as well and enjoyed them all.

My son listens to it over and over, and I never gave it a second thought because it was so highly recommended everywhere I go.

I started Little Pear but couldn't get past the first couple of pages. Something about it being acceptable to be naughty. I find Nate the Great to be rude, so I stopped recommending them to my son. I was reading a Valentine's Day Arthur to my youngest and put it back in the library bag without finishing it. Romance is not something young children need to think of. That's also what I cannot stand about the Charlie Brown videos my mom buys the boys. I could go on, but some people are just more sensitive to things than others.

Oh, and our children did not watch Dragon Tales. DH did not like the 'incantation' the kids say at the beginning and end of the show. But he was in a borderline goth group in high school. I respect his decision and realize that he is doing what he feels is best for the girls.

Your children are very fortunate to have a father who is exercising his discernment. We don't like Dragon Tales either. DT has always terrified my children. In fact, I despise all dragon stories... EXCEPT My Father's Dragon. We read that one when my oldest was K and he loved it. I loved it. Couldn't wait to read it to my youngest son. He loved it! For us, this book was just right for late K or 1st grade. It's just a silly, fun book. I almost skipped it but some of the moms of the Sonlight board reported that their boys loved it. My boys have always differentiated, in their own minds, between dragons (mystical, weird stuff, to them) and dinosaurs (a real thing) - to them, the dragon in MFD was a dinosaur. I don't know. That's just how they seemed to interpret it so we went with that.

So, we don't do dragons and we don't do HP. But, MFD is not your usual dragon story and it sure ain't HP.

Hmmm... Well our family has chosen not to read the Harry Potter series, but we have read My Father's Dragon. I did not see any harm in it at all.

I agree that everyone has thier own concerns and convictions. If you see nothing wrong with the book, then read it. You know how we mom's can be soooo opinionated:lol: Really, just go with what you think is right:)

I agree. We can't have children doing such things. What would the world come to?

I suspect it has more with the baby dragon than anything. Baby dragons grow up to be big dragons, and we all know where that leads.