Menu

I was informed on facebook this morning that I am not homeschooling because 2 of my 4 are enrolled in the public virtual academy. In fact, my claiming to be homeschooling is offensive to those "real" homeschoolers.

It was an interesting discussion. I referenced an article that was bashing virtual schools and I spoke of the benefits of using one. I said that it wasn't as horrible as the author presented, since I can present my views right alongside other views and give Biblical reasons for them.

So despite the fact that I have spent HOURS the last 2 days teaching my kids, I'm just not a real homeschooler. (hangs head in shame)

:tongue_smilie:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We deal with that kind of thing regularly in Washington. The "real" homeschoolers are vehemently against the virtual schools and those who use them. After being involved with a virtual school for five years, I know that they are misinformed about how many of the virtual schools work and the politics behind them. The one we were involved in allowed me to pick almost any curricula I wanted and choose my own schedule, planning, teaching methods, etc. Here, they fear that the state will change the homeschool laws and require all homeschoolers to enroll in a virtual school for accountability. The reality is that the state doesn't want to pay for us to "homeschool" and is changing to laws to make virtual schools places we don't want to use. The school we used lost 50% of their students this year, including us, because of changes in state law.

The only difference between our plans for this year as a virtual schooler and our plans since we decided to drop out is that we're paying for everything ourselves and can't afford foreign language any more. Oh, and my five year old will probably not be in the gymnastics I was hoping to get him involved in.

Don't discuss the fact that you use the school and ignore them when they go off about the schools. Do what works for you.

Edited by joannqn

Fairfarmhand, I'd love to know what you had to say! My oldest 2 are enrolled in a virtual school (Ohio Virtual Academy, K12) for the first time this upcoming year. We had joined a co-op a few months ago, before deciding on OHVA, and we had to drop out because we're not "real homeschoolers" either.

WA has done a bang up job of getting people confused.

Yesterday I had someone ask me how much money I get to keep her homeschooling...

Oh ya, I'm waiting on that check baby... :lol:

I'm happy to deal with the confusion but not the hostility. Having all of our options is awesome. Having the state kill those options is not awesome.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Cyber schools are so popular in PA that everyone assumes that we use one, and I constantly have to explain what we really do. Cyber schooling and traditional homeschooling both mean that you have chosen an alternative to what everyone else is doing. It is sad that people feel the need to prove some sort of superiority based on which you choose.

Ouch - I'm offended. :D You non-homeschooler. What exactly are you allowed to label yourself? 1/2 homeschooler and 1/2 virtual public charter school-er? Hmmm. Seems kind of difficult. My girls have gone to a PUBLIC homeschool enrichment program one day a week for years. I even have to go down to the district office and fill out forms. I drop them off once a week and leave them them. I still had the audacity to call myself a homeschooler. Good thing I don't have facebook. I didn't have to see anybody tell me I was wrong. I just don't take criticism well. :D

This year, I have a college student, a public school student and a homeschool student that goes to public school one day a week. You can be a homeschooler right along with me. I have a pretty inclusive definition - I include anyone that wants to self-identify as a homeschooler.

Been there, too... I have to agree with the state doing more to ruin these on-line public charter schools than anything. They could be an incredible option for people who may not have a lot of money to homeschool, and are ill-served by the local schools. It could be an option for problem students, and students outside of the mainstream.

But they keep turning the charters into these inflexible, impossible "at-home" replica's of the reason my kids aren't in PS to begin with (just my experience).

So, my paperwork is done, "approved," and I'm legal to HS my kids for another year. Just don't tell anyone I'm using a combination of Abeka Academy, BJU Distance Learning, Vertias Online, and Scholars Academy...I might be rejected again...because I don't really homeschool, I private school...some of the time. :tongue_smilie:

My kids go to school at home. There.

I dont mind a virtual school, but I HATE HATE HATE that when you say " we homeschool " the FIRST thing people go to is " oh, so you school online? ". :glare:

I just say "No, we do not use the public funding option." It doesn't bother me.

If one has a problem with these options, then one has a problem with the legislation. So go after that, not individual people who are just trying to educate their children in whatever way they see best. Some people have no class.

But they keep turning the charters into these inflexible, impossible "at-home" replica's of the reason my kids aren't in PS to begin with (just my experience).

But they are funded with tax money and function as public school so the state can do whatever they want, right?

I don't argue with anyone about their homeschooling methods, ever. I get enough criticism about my own methods and curriculum. ("What do you mean you don't use Apologia?") I don't care what people call themselves or what they do, if they unschool, cyberschool, do classical ed or anything in between. But I'm not sure anyone can complain that the online charter schools have too much state interference when they're funded by taxpayer money collected by the state.

Or am I misunderstanding? Always possible. ;)

This reminds me of a TV commercial I heard as kid: "My dogs better than your dog. My dogs better than yours...."

It's just small, closed minds trying to puff themselves up. What is real anyway? How can one thing be more real than another. Last I check, if your alive you've got to be real.

That's rotten. I am glad I fell off my high horse long ago. It must be time consuming for people to sit around looking for the chance to judge and offend people.

:iagree: I had so much to say about other people;s parenting and educating methods till I had one with learning issues and one very challenging daughter.

Now go do some more fake teaching and stay busy..lol

:lol:

Fairfarmhand, I'd love to know what you had to say! My oldest 2 are enrolled in a virtual school (Ohio Virtual Academy, K12) for the first time this upcoming year. We had joined a co-op a few months ago, before deciding on OHVA, and we had to drop out because we're not "real homeschoolers" either.

Basically I tried to correct some of the misperceptions. But those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still.

Here's my response cut from FB

I am using a virtual academy for 2 of my kids this year. This statement is inaccurate. First of all, I do teach Bible based subjects alongside the core Public School curriculum, and I be hanged if anyone tells me that I can't do that in my own home. While, yes, I am committed to teach the public school curriculum, I can supplement with anything that I choose. I do believe that we may get into values/evolutionary teaching, etc. that I do not agree with, but with me sitting right there, I can discuss with my kids why I believe that these things are not true. I am not afraid of my children being presented with contrary world views because I will be there, teaching and directing about why these views are incompatible with God's word. The K12 program is designed for parents to be involved with their child's education, so I am fully aware of what is being presented. Less than 20% of my student's time is spent learning independently on the computer. Of course, I would rather not use this, but finances have dictated otherwise. I also believe that these programs will encourage parents who would not have the confidence or money to attempt homeschooling otherwise. These people in the future may feel led to homeschool in a more traditional manner after using these virtual academies at first. These academies also give accountability to homeschoolers who struggle with structure and discipline. I do believe that there is a place for virtual academies in the Christian homeschooling community, and I don't understand the hostility.we are not allowed to choose the curriculum for your student. My point is that although my students are required to do the core stuff, I still am the mom. I am still the teacher. And if there was a hassle with the virtual school, all I'd have to do is withdraw them and go back to the way we've done it for 10 years. Our state would count Bible lessons as reading, writing, etc. Of course, I have to jump through the Public School hoops as far as attendance and stuff, but that's the nature of the beast. I guess I look at it as I am in control to an extent, but I choose to allow them to participate in our homeschool. I am in control because if it was too much of a hassle, I'd tell em to stick it!

Ouch - I'm offended. :D You non-homeschooler. What exactly are you allowed to label yourself? 1/2 homeschooler and 1/2 virtual public charter school-er? Hmmm. Seems kind of difficult. My girls have gone to a PUBLIC homeschool enrichment program one day a week for years. I even have to go down to the district office and fill out forms. I drop them off once a week and leave them them. I still had the audacity to call myself a homeschooler. Good thing I don't have facebook. I didn't have to see anybody tell me I was wrong. I just don't take criticism well. :D

This year, I have a college student, a public school student and a homeschool student that goes to public school one day a week. You can be a homeschooler right along with me. I have a pretty inclusive definition - I include anyone that wants to self-identify as a homeschooler.

:iagree:

Poor things.. it must be exhausting for them to keep track of all the 'real homeschoolers", 'real vegans, 'real AP' etc out there.

I know several ladies in my church who work endlessly determining who is or is not a 'real Christian'. :toetap05:

I'm glad thats not my job, whew.

It's all I can do to handle God's will for my own life, much less anoyone else;s and even then I mess up horribly sometimes.

But they are funded with tax money and function as public school so the state can do whatever they want, right?

I But I'm not sure anyone can complain that the online charter schools have too much state interference when they're funded by taxpayer money collected by the state.

Of course they can. But if I don't like it, next year I will say "No thanks!"

In TN you can educate your children at home in a number of ways.

1. Register with the local board of education as a homeschooler.

2. Register with an umbrella program as a homeschooler.

3. Register with a category IV school under the jeter memo. Under this option the state considers your children private schoolers.

4. Register with a category III school's distance learning program. Under this option the state considers your children private schoolers.

5. Register with the state operated virtual school- K12. Under this option the state considers your children public schoolers.

Legal semantics aside, with all of these options the child is outside of a traditional classroom educated at home. I personally would consider all of these children home educated. However, when dealing with competitions, legalities like these may cause a team to be disqualified. Only in a situation like this would I consider the legal definitions. In almost every instance I would simply say that these kids are educated at home; therefore, they are home educated. :)

Certainly, the families with children educated at home have more in common with each other than with families whose children are attending brick and mortar institutions. Regardless of legal definition, these families can and should offer suggestions to and support each other in ways that brick and mortar families will not need. Field trips, MNO, book clubs, etc. should be open to any family whose children are home during the day. It is petty and divisive to do otherwise.

Mandy

Along the same lines, don't ever, EVER use the word "unschooling" around militant unschoolers if you are not legit (and *they* get to decide what's legit). They will beat you to a pulp and leave you by the side of the road as an example to the rest of the world of what will happen to anyone who co-opts their label.

I wasn't allowed to be a member of our homeschool group because we are using the virtual charter school this year.

I recently noticed that on our homeschool group's website it says (in HUGE red letters):

We can no longer accept cyber academy or K12 students.

Students in these programs are considered by state law to be public schooled students and as such fall under state guidelines and rules.

I know that's what the law says, but still, it seems that it should count for something if the parent is the one doing the teaching.

3. Register with a category IV school under the jeter memo. Under this option the state considers your children private schoolers.

4. Register with a category III school's distance learning program. Under this option the state considers your children private schoolers.

5. Register with the state operated virtual school- K12. Under this option the state considers your children public schoolers.

Legal semantics aside, with all of these options the child is outside of a traditional classroom educated at home. I personally would consider all of these children home educated. However, when dealing with competitions, legalities like these may cause a team to be disqualified. Only in a situation like this would I consider the legal definitions. In almost every instance I would simply say that these kids are educated at home; therefore, they are home educated. :)

Certainly, the families with children educated at home have more in common with each other than with families whose children are attending brick and mortar institutions. Regardless of legal definition, these families can and should offer suggestions to and support each other in ways that brick and mortar families will not need. Field trips, MNO, book clubs, etc. should be open to any family whose children are home during the day. It is petty and divisive to do otherwise.

Mandy

the irony is this...

I was "homeschooling" by this woman's definition for 9 years using an umbrella school. In the eyes of the state that made us a private schooler. SO I guess I didn't get it right.

OH PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I HAVE TO DO TO BE A REAL HOMESCHOOLER??????

She went on and on telling me that since my kids are enrolled in the PS virtual system that my kids were public schooled, and claiming to homeschool is offensive to her and the other "real" homeschoolers. So how come I spent from 6:30-3 yesterday busting my tail to get them educated? I thought public schooling was supposed to be easier than that!

Seriously, I am not hurt or offended, just puzzled at the hostility. I've gotten a pretty thick skin and what some anonymous lady on Facebook posts has nothing to do with my reality.

The mindset is strange to me though at how militant she was to me.

I also find it kind of humorous.

Here was part of her quote that made me laugh; it was about my children" It's disingenuous and/or delusional to call them all homeschooled because they're all studying in the home."

I recently noticed that on our homeschool group's website it says (in HUGE red letters):

Students in these programs are considered by state law to be public schooled students and as such fall under state guidelines and rules.

I know that's what the law says, but still, it seems that it should count for something if the parent is the one doing the teaching.

Wow. They sound like a charming bunch :glare:

Field trips, MNO, book clubs, etc. should be open to any family whose children are home during the day. It is petty and divisive to do otherwise.

Actually, I, as a regular attendee of the MNO in my area for many years, I know that we will let you hang out if none of your kids homeschool or even if you don't have kids! If you educate your kids at home, used to educate your kids at home, are thinking about educating your kids at home, or were formerly homeschooled yourself, then you will probably will get more from some of the conversations, but we don't kick anyone who wants to hang out to the curb. :D

Edited by Mandy in TN

Our local hs group just re-evaluated their policy on whether to admit charter school students or students enrolled in virtual academies.

After considering the matter, the board announced that they had thought about it and decided to keep things the way they are. Why? Because the group's definition of homeschooling does not include charter school or virtual academy students. Never mind that the board *wrote* that definition and could change it if it wanted to. There was no reconsideration of the definition -- it was just used to "explain" why things had to stay the same.

I saw that as a way to avoid making a decision and as a total non-answer.

It is petty and divisive to do otherwise.

Mandy

Yes, This.

In a way, I believe this mindset is alot about Christians worrying that non-christians who want to homeschool will infiltrate their homeschooling groups. The virtual academies make that easier, because so many homeschool curriculums are Bible based and this puts it all together for you.

Maybe that's just my area and my take on it, who knows? But it is as nitpicky and arrogant as can be to tell people that they aren't homeschooling because they aren't doing it your way.

Along the same lines, don't ever, EVER use the word "unschooling" around militant unschoolers if you are not legit (and *they* get to decide what's legit). They will beat you to a pulp and leave you by the side of the road as an example to the rest of the world of what will happen to anyone who co-opts their label.

:lol::lol::lol: so true. I am vaguely unschoolish but I introduce myself as eclectic/relaxed because I am not a 'real unschooler'.

:lol::lol::lol: so true. I am vaguely unschoolish but I introduce myself as eclectic/relaxed because I am not a 'real unschooler'.

The time I tried the coop thing, under the files everyone wrote their names, etc. Only one labeled themselves as "radical undschoolers." What the heck does that even mean?

I was told recently that I'm no longer a "real" homeschooler because two of my sons are now in public school. I asked the stay-home ds what he'd like to be called now, as apparently he's not really homeschooled, and he suggested "educational anarchist." Yup, that's my kid.:D

I guess I can understand that technically (legally) they are considered public school students. I'm not really sure why it would matter to anyone outside the school system or why someone would feel the need to point it out on Facebook. :confused: They're still at home, right? While I'm not a huge fan of our VPS, I would do that in a heartbeat if my other option were sending them to B&M PS just for the flexibility of schedule and the degree that it keeps me in control. I also don't get why they are cut out of HS groups. Is it a legal thing? I wasn't aware that HS groups operated under anthing like that. A coop makes a little more sense to me, but not much.

OTOH, I have told public school parents who mention how much time they spend on reteaching and homework, "Oh, so your public schooling AND homeschooling." Hope they weren't offended!

That's why my best friend decided to HS this year...to cut out that confusing middle man and take back their evenings. :D

I was told recently that I'm no longer a "real" homeschooler because two of my sons are now in public school. I asked the stay-home ds what he'd like to be called now, as apparently he's not really homeschooled, and he suggested "educational anarchist." Yup, that's my kid.:D

OOOOOO....I like that WAY better than boring old "homeschooler" I think I want to print that on a Tshirt.

:iagree: I try to avoid labeling myself as much as possible. I don't even know for sure what kind of homeschooler I am, so how could I explain it to anyone else?

OOOOOO....I like that WAY better than boring old "homeschooler" I think I want to print that on a Tshirt.

They have those, I own one. Someone here made them up a few years ago. I think it was on zazzle.

Mine is a little different, but these are nice:

http://www.zazzle.com/pd/styles/pd-235651312751752839?dp=&qs=educational%20anarchist%20tshirts&tl=

yes

ok.. You asked for it. Give me some suggestions for a response. I am half way considering just allowing the discussion to die. Here goes!

In answer to my comment, " I fail to see why anyone would be offended by my calling my kids homeschooled."

She said.

"Because they're not. To call virtual schooled kids "homeschooled" blurs the line between government-run schooling and true independent home-based education. So it's a lie, and there is actual very real danger to homeschooling if the lines are blurred; I suggest visiting the HSLDA website for lots of legal reasons for the concern. Another way to look at it is that it's apples to oranges. One can call an apple an orange all day long, but that doesn't make it so. Is it okay if some like apples and some prefer oranges? Sure, and they're in the same general category, but they are NOT the same thing and never will be. The kids for whom YOU are truly directly the education are homeschooled; the ones enrolled in virtual school (no matter how involved you are day to day) are public school students who happen to study at home, end of story. And you might want to check your state law, as most very clearly make the distinction of which I'm speaking. Does it mean you're wrong to use virtual schools? No, in the sense that school choice is a parental right so that's up to each parent. But with choice and rights also come responsibilities to be honest. And it's not honest to say one is homeschooling when one is really relying on the government for one's kids' schooling."

In many states homeschoolers are technically private schools. In LA we were labeled as an "unregulated private school" but we still called ourselves homeschoolers. Does she get so bent out of shape over that? Wouldn't an unregulated private school be a threat to all of those who fork out wildly high tuition each year. I don't hear them complaining.

Sounds like the fear-mongering of HSLDA is working in their favor. Wait, should we go there today? :lol:

ok.. You asked for it. Give me some suggestions for a response. I am half way considering just allowing the discussion to die. Here goes!

In answer to my comment, " I fail to see why anyone would be offended by my calling my kids homeschooled."

She said.

"Because they're not. To call virtual schooled kids "homeschooled" blurs the line between government-run schooling and true independent home-based education. So it's a lie, and there is actual very real danger to homeschooling if the lines are blurred; I suggest visiting the HSLDA website for lots of legal reasons for the concern. Another way to look at it is that it's apples to oranges. One can call an apple an orange all day long, but that doesn't make it so. Is it okay if some like apples and some prefer oranges? Sure, and they're in the same general category, but they are NOT the same thing and never will be. The kids for whom YOU are truly directly the education are homeschooled; the ones enrolled in virtual school (no matter how involved you are day to day) are public school students who happen to study at home, end of story. And you might want to check your state law, as most very clearly make the distinction of which I'm speaking. Does it mean you're wrong to use virtual schools? No, in the sense that school choice is a parental right so that's up to each parent. But with choice and rights also come responsibilities to be honest. And it's not honest to say one is homeschooling when one is really relying on the government for one's kids' schooling."

While legally you are correct

Mandy

I would type what I said here.

Mandy

She said.

I swear, someone on this board posted something very similar to me a couple years ago...

I just don't get this. Never have. Who cares? Why does this make a difference in being accepted into a HS co-op or group?