Menu

S/O cooking from scratch.....feeding hungry kids

I was just reading all the wonderful suggestions about cooking from scratch and I was reminded of a problem I've been having lately. I can't seem to keep my kids full. Honestly we are going to go broke trying to feed them. This is our first year hsing so that means my income has dropped. I'm trying to cook more from scratch to help save money. Also dh has terribly high cholesterol and ds11 some behavior/LD issues I think could be helped by eating better. Ok back to my hungry kids. What do Y'all recommend for snacks and/or meals to really fill them up? My kids are fairly young and on the small side. Ds11 only weighs 78lbs, dd8 56, and ds who will be 5 in two weeks only weighs 36lbs. Oldest ds easily eats twice what I do and honestly youngest ds eats a much as I do. I don't know where they put it. They are all very active so I know that's part of it, but I certainly don't want to change that . They aren't particularly picky kids thank goodness. It just seems like I feed them and an hour later they are hungry again. Today ds4 was looking in the pantry and said "Wow! We sure are hungry kids we just went to the grocery and its already gone!" He was pretty much right. For example, tonight I fixed beef tacos. Ds11 ate 6 and dd and ds4 ate 2 1/2. I only had 2! I need some suggestions that won't break the bank that are also decently healthy :D Thank you!

I second a hearty breakfast to start the day- My kids routinely have oatmeal (cooked in whole milk, with a dash of maple syrup) or spinach-and-cheese omelets, plus a piece of fruit and possibly a yogurt.

This keeps them full until lunch, when most of the time we have leftovers.

Snack is another fruit, plus cheese and crackers

Dinner is usually protein plus veggie plus potatoes or rice or corn (my son has Celiac, so we don't do gluten). Pasta with a meat sauce is also a filling option when lunch has been light or when they've been swimming and are STARVING.

To save a bit of money, try to keep it to one portion of meat per person, but add filing sides- roast potatoes, lentil or rice or quinoa salad, and always some healthy fats (I consider good butter to be a healthy fat!).

They only drink water.

I try to always combine bulk (starch or fiber) with protein and fat to keep them full longer. They still start circling the kitchen a half hour before every meal time though... lol.

I have those skinny, huge eating kids. Protein at each meal is a must. Especially breakfast. We favor eggs or peanut butter in the morning. I have no problem with carbs and every meal here includes as much bread, rice, pasta or potatoes as they would like. Those leftovers can become a snack. Our most often consumed and reaonably priced snacks:

Pbj or pb&crackers &banana

String cheese, crackers &apple

Yogurt&berries

Cheese&tortilla,salsa

English muffin or tortilla "pizza"

These are all good because even my 4yo can get/make most of them without me having to stop everything.

I have those kids, too. My almost 8yos still use their 5pt harnesses in their boosters.

Mine usually have snacks between meals. I keep things like muffins, fruit, homemade granola bars, cheese and crackers around, and about halfway between meals, they'll grab something.

I was just reading all the wonderful suggestions about cooking from scratch and I was reminded of a problem I've been having lately. I can't seem to keep my kids full. Honestly we are going to go broke trying to feed them. This is our first year hsing so that means my income has dropped. I'm trying to cook more from scratch to help save money. Also dh has terribly high cholesterol and ds11 some behavior/LD issues I think could be helped by eating better. Ok back to my hungry kids. What do Y'all recommend for snacks and/or meals to really fill them up? My kids are fairly young and on the small side. Ds11 only weighs 78lbs, dd8 56, and ds who will be 5 in two weeks only weighs 36lbs. Oldest ds easily eats twice what I do and honestly youngest ds eats a much as I do. I don't know where they put it. They are all very active so I know that's part of it, but I certainly don't want to change that . They aren't particularly picky kids thank goodness. It just seems like I feed them and an hour later they are hungry again. Today ds4 was looking in the pantry and said "Wow! We sure are hungry kids we just went to the grocery and its already gone!" He was pretty much right. For example, tonight I fixed beef tacos. Ds11 ate 6 and dd and ds4 ate 2 1/2. I only had 2! I need some suggestions that won't break the bank that are also decently healthy :D Thank you!

I agree with oatmeal. My kids have it every single day in some form. Bowls of oatmeal and oatmeal pancakes are particularly filling. Also I buy it in 50 pound bags because it is significantly cheaper that way.

Also for tacos what are you using for filling? When I make them our filling is 2 pounds ground beef, 1 pound dried lentils cooked, and about 4 cups brown rice mixed together and seasoned. Then they are loaded with cheese, peppers, onions tomatoes, homemade salsa and sour cream. They ar very hearty an even my teenage son can only eat 3-4 of them and he normally eats as much as my husband and I together and we are big eater.

Add beans, brown rice or lentils to everything possible, it will stretch the food and help your budget.

My kids need carbs protein and fat to feel full. So, meals for a day might look like this:

breakfast-eggs with cheese, salsa and avocado in a tortilla

am snack-apples and PB

lunch-soup, sandwiches and fruit

pm snack-Greek yogurt with homemade granola

dinner-you might want to add rice to your taco meat, I also do decried beans on the side

I totally don't get the people who are saying that oatmeal is filling... :confused: Anytime I have oatmeal for breakfast (even if it's made with whole milk and flax meal) I'm starving an hour later. I have had bad blood sugar crashes from oatmeal (and not the super, super sweet kind, either). :tongue_smilie:

But a good breakfast really is important (though I often find I have a greater appetite during the day if I have a large breakfast). Personally, I love breakfast sandwiches: toasted bread or english muffins, cheese, butter, and a fried/scrambled egg. Maybe some bacon. Yum, yum, yum. Though these days, my morning sickness is making me need to eat before that would be ready. Peanut butter toast is good, so is plain old whole wheat toast. And bagels and cream cheese will satisfy me, too. But the best (though I'm not enough of a morning person to ever pull this off) is a good old Southern breakfast: eggs, bacon/sausage, homemade biscuits, and grits. Preferably with juice.

I have the same problem throughout the day, btw. It seems that I can never keep DD and myself full. We wind up eating every couple of hours all day long, and by midweek I'm always out of snacks. So I'm :bigear:

Skinny kids who eat a ton here as well. My son has super metabolism I think, dh was just commenting last night about how we are going to be in trouble when he gets older as at (almost)8 he can eat as much or sometimes more than dh. I try to have proteins, carbs and plenty of fats at each meal. They still eat a ton. They drive me bonkers. Perhaps I'll start making them drink coconut oil with every meal :) I prefer grain free but they have grains it helps to fill their hollow legs. We had coconut/almond flour muffins w/ apple/pumpkin w/ butter and bacon for breakfast along w/ oranges and crustless pumpkin pie(gf/df- made w/ coconut milk). They'll tell me they are hungry in an hour probably.

Edited by soror

My kids need carbs protein and fat to feel full. So, meals for a day might look like this:

breakfast-eggs with cheese, salsa and avocado in a tortilla

am snack-apples and PB

lunch-soup, sandwiches and fruit

pm snack-Greek yogurt with homemade granola

dinner-you might want to add rice to your taco meat, I also do decried beans on the side

My kids eat very similarly to Mrs. Mungo's. She and I both have sons on 3500 calorie, high fat diets due to being medically too underweight and having metabolic issues that make weight gain very, very difficult.

Probably the only change is that our lunch will not have bread, sandwiches are actually wraps, and are very protein filled plus veggies. The son who needs to keep his calorie count high will have chicken, turkey, or beef plus black beans, plus cheese, and shredded butter lettuce with red pepper, and a dressing in that wrap. It's a big "sandwich". Usually we don't have soup with it, but they have tall glasses of milk and they also have the fruit.

Yogurt is the norm and I make a lot of homemade granola for "cold cereal". Oats, sunflower seeds, honey, coconut oil, chocolate chips (a few just for fun)...they like it moist and crumbly.

Since they like Mexican food, I make it often. Spanish rice with shredded chicken, pinto beans and every boy has to take a serving even if it is not their favorite thing, shredded cheddar, a dollop of sour cream, filled tortilla and they'll eat two a piece. Yogurt and fruit too.

I sneak beans into everything I can. They are very filling.

I avoid simple carbs...baked goods. The boys will eat up mounds of these and never be full. So, it's a rare treat to have bread, muffins, pancakes, and the like. When I do acquiesce to pancakes, they are wrapped around a sausage link with scrambled eggs and cheese. A stack of pancakes may be cheap, but they do not "stick to their bones".

I limit sugar. It cuts down on cravings.

Faith

I totally don't get the people who are saying that oatmeal is filling... :confused: Anytime I have oatmeal for breakfast (even if it's made with whole milk and flax meal) I'm starving an hour later. I have had bad blood sugar crashes from oatmeal (and not the super, super sweet kind, either). :tongue_smilie:

:

:iagree: I make porridge (oatmeal) from oats we roll ourselves the night before, with chia seeds and LOTS of coconut cream yet I still get hungry in an hour and shaky if I haven't eaten two hours later. Pancakes otoh are filling here as in our house we use 3-4 eggs per cup of flour and serve with yoghurt or goat curd (soft cheese).

No snack suggestions. I'm :bigear: too

I make baked oatmeal with milk, eggs and brown sugar. I add chopped almonds to it after the fact. The eggs, milk and almonds help make it more filling.

I agree with Faith too. Lots of milk and high protein foods here too. My kids have eggs for breakfast in one form or another almost every day.

I make baked oatmeal with milk, eggs and brown sugar. I add chopped almonds to it after the fact. The eggs, milk and almonds help make it more filling.

I agree with Faith too. Lots of milk and high protein foods here too. My kids have eggs for breakfast in one form or another almost every day.

Mrs. Mungo is spot on about those nuts. I'm convinced it's the sunflower seeds and the pulverized almonds that I put in the granola that makes it stick. Nuts and seeds provide very healthy fats and it's the fat/protein that keeps the blood sugar from crashing.

We'd be in very serious trouble with ds if he couldn't have dairy. I rely on that to help meet that calorie count. He's 5'7" now and we've gotten him to 88 lbs and that's with some weight lifting to help increase muscle mass. He's a scary thin kid. However, he is thankfully, very healthy right now.

It's not cheap feeding three boys 12, almost 14, and 15.5. I know in some families they just say, "No snacking allowed" and control portion sizes and the teens are still normal weights and healthy. But, not only do I have Mr. scary skinny, but the other two are underweight as well though still okay...they take after dh. who is 6'0" and 150 lbs and weighed less than 100 lbs. in high school and only 129 when we got married. His mom, a pediatric nurse, made him eat ice cream, drink 32 ounces of milk, and have six ounces of cheese per day in addition to meals that were very generous in fat and protein. We could NEVER go with portion restrictions or heavy use of grains in order to keep the grocery bill down. Thankfully, Michigan is a heavy agricultural state and groceries are far more reasonably priced than many other areas of the U.S.

Faith

We can have some milk products here but not a lot, it would be nice if we could have more. Perhaps at some point ds will be able to drink milk but after so many years without dairy products we are taking it slow. I do use butter(grassfed) and coconut oil. We are gluten free so for grains we have gf porridge, gf oats, rice and rice pasta- I don't use a ton of those though as it isn't ideal to me. We eat a lot of eggs here, a fair amount of meat and lots of fat and veggies. They love fruit as well.

I do baked goods but make them healthier, usually any baked good is made w/ almond and coconut flour, coconut oil and sweetened w/ some honey(and a good amount of eggs as those flours require it) upping the protein and fat over regular baked goods. I serve those w/ butter and coconut oil and pancakes I fry in coconut oil and serve w/ sausage or bacon. On the weekend I often serve eggs, w/almond/coco flour biscuits and bacon/sausage. Butter on the side for biscuits and eggs are fried in lard. Yesterday we had eggs and homemade hashbrowns fried in butter and lard along w/ blueberries in coconut milk(full fat). They each had 1-2 servings of fruit besides that. For lunch- I don't remember we snacked so much. I fried some green beans in lard, we had lots of sliced tomatoes and a bunch of other stuff. For supper it was brown rice pasta w/ pork/beef italian sausage, tomatoes broiled w/ evoo and parmesan and crustless pumpkin pie made w/ full fat coconut milk.

I notice a huge difference in how filling our homemade (freshly-milled) whole wheat bread is from storebought -- even 100% whole wheat storebought. A slice of our bread, toasted with cheese, will hold me over till lunch better than most things. Obviously Dealea's full Southern breakfast would be better, but this one dirties fewer dishes in the morning. ;)

Similarly, I need two grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch if I make them with storebought whole wheat bread, but only one if I make it with the homemade stuff. Everything we make with that flour is more filling. Just something to think about.

As for other filling foods... I often make a pot of frozen baby lima beans -- boil with water, salt, pepper, and olive oil. This is very filling and at least my littles gobble it up. Makes a great breakfast, lunch, or snack.

Hard-boiled eggs are popular here, along with nuts, cheese, and yogurt.

A peanut butter sandwich makes a good cheap snack, too. (I think my dad survived college on peanut butter sandwiches, milk, and cheese toast.) Maybe after a fixed amount of the "good stuff," the kids can finish filling up on pbj? I generally know how long I expect my dinners to last, and put out only half if it needs to go one more night, for instance. After that is eaten up I think it would be fair to say, "go make a peanut butter sandwich." Or heat up some beans, or have some cheese toast, etc. Or ration snacks in the same way if you want to keep dinners unrationed. ("After the chips are gone, you can still have pbj.")

I notice a huge difference in how filling our homemade (freshly-milled) whole wheat bread is from storebought -- even 100% whole wheat storebought. A slice of our bread, toasted with cheese, will hold me over till lunch better than most things. Obviously Dealea's full Southern breakfast would be better, but this one dirties fewer dishes in the morning. ;)

Similarly, I need two grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch if I make them with storebought whole wheat bread, but only one if I make it with the homemade stuff. Everything we make with that flour is more filling. Just something to think about.

This is a good point, and I notice the same thing. I suppose it could be the flour we use (fresh ground), but I think it's probably because homemade bread tends to be denser (likely because store-bought bread uses so much added gluten and yeast), and therefore you're getting more with each bite.

Homemade bread has been a bit of a luxury around here the last few months because of my pregnancy, so I've definitely noticed that our homemade bread fills you up faster, and keeps you full for a longer time. DH will eat 3 slices, buttered, for breakfast at 6:30am and he's good until 11am.

I buy full fat everything. When I bake anything it's heavy in eggs and those are cheap. Sugar makes my kids crazy and hungry. I limit my carbs but I do make them things like homemade mac n cheese, grilled cheese, etc. Baked stuffed potatoes are easy and cheap.

DD could live on chicken. If I make a huge batch of it she will eat it every day for breakfast.

I make really good bars for in between meals that are loaded with almonds and fat.

Mine eat a lot of cheese, and full fat dairy during the day.

I have a fabulous trick to making your oatmeal keep you full longer.

When you cook your oatmeal on the stove, add the water, oats seasonings and whatever to the pan and before it gets hot, crack 1 egg per 1/2 cup of oats into the mix and mix it up. It adds nothing to it, flavor wise, but it makes it a LOT thicker and heartier and helps to avoid that 'crash'. I've been doing this all year and the kids have never said anything about what I did to their oatmeal. :001_smile:

Definitely add extra fat to everything they eat - extra olive oil/coconut oil/avocado/butter. Teach them to put butter on everything. Nothing they eat should be low-fat if they have that large of appetites.

Ex. Compare these two snacks:

1. Fresh fruit

2. Fresh fruit with 'coconut cream' (stick a can of full fat coconut milk in the back of the fridge overnight, beat it in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer for five minutes to make 'whipped cream'). Sprinkle some nuts on top for protein too.

You can make mega smoothies with 2 avocados and frozen berries/spinach, use coconut milk or whole milk as the liquid. That will keep them fuller than just a fruit blend (add protein powder too).

Baked potatoes are an excellent snack if they load them up with filling - cheese, beans, meat, salsa, etc...

Another option is to get some nut flours and bake things with those - they are VERY filling. Almond-flour pancakes or coconut-flour pancakes are made with a very high percentage of eggs which helps you fill up quickly.

For oatmeal, stir in 1/4 cup of peanut butter (or more!) to the oats and it will keep you full longer. Steel cut oats will keep you fuller than quick oats.

I've heard banning juice helps kids feel less hunger. I guess it's the blood sugar spike thingy.

The one thing I worry about with adding butter to everything is that, one day, they may slow down metabolism-wise, and have to get off the butter...Perhaps a more healthy fat? I'm not opposed to butter (NOT AT ALL) but I'm wondering if it becomes a habit to have creamy, rich foods, a habit that may not serve them well in the future?

Just supposing, here.

Carry on.

I've heard banning juice helps kids feel less hunger. I guess it's the blood sugar spike thingy.

The one thing I worry about with adding butter to everything is that, one day, they may slow down metabolism-wise, and have to get off the butter...Perhaps a more healthy fat? I'm not opposed to butter (NOT AT ALL) but I'm wondering if it becomes a habit to have creamy, rich foods, a habit that may not serve them well in the future?

Just supposing, here.

Carry on.

Well, I eat paleo/primal which doesn't shun higher-fat foods as unhealthy so I'm probably the wrong person to ask about this...I consider whole wheat bread a FAR bigger problem for long-term health than butter on eggs ;).

Here is my baked oatmeal recipe:

• 3 cups oatmeal
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix all ingredients together (I soften the butter and cut it into the dry ingredients before mixing in the wet ingredients) and pour into 13 x 9 inch buttered pan.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.

I add chopped almonds and blueberries after it's finished cooking.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Snacks mine like and fill them:

Nuts (cashews and almonds are favorites here)

Popcorn (stovetop, thanks to my new crank popper)

Cheese with crackers or whole wheat bread

Peanut butter with crackers or whole wheat bread

I think y'all are right about them needing more fat in their diet. Dh has had extremely high cholesterol and triglycerides since he was a teenager despite being tall and thin. Obviously genetic. Because of this we tend to eat lower fat. The ped and everyone said to give them low fat milk starting at two so I never questioned that till now. My kids aren't exactly skinny they are lean. Dd and ds11 are both very muscular. They both have defined abs and I'm jealous of their sculpted arms :lol: The Dr has said they both have high androgen levels which I'm sure isn't slowing down their metabolism any. Youngest ds looks like he is following in their footsteps. I know ds11 is just hitting that pre puberty growth spurt and I know he needs protein and fat. Would it be terrible to give them whole milk and more fat in general? I love yalls ideas and they do sound like things that my kids would eat and enjoy.

I've just recently switched to a low carb/high protein diet (Primal), and even though I'm not forcing it on the kids, they've followed suit. Simply because mom is the one making their food lol. I have definitely noticed that eating this way satisfies their hunger for longer. Lots of protein and fat. Here is a typical meal plan for the day-

B-eggs, fried in butter or coconut oil, with Feta, diced tomatoes, purple onions, and spinach (we call this Rainbow Eggs lol)

S-full fat Greek yogurt, unsweetened, with a teaspoon of agave neater drizzled on top.

L-salad with spinach, tomatoes, raw almonds, dehydrated apples, cranberries, Gorgonzola or feta, and grilled chicken. Olive oil/lemon juice dressing.

S-avocado with a tiny splash of lemon juice and a tiny pinch of salt

D-ground beef with diced/shredded veggies-cabbage, zucchini, onions, carrots, spinach, ect. Sweet potato medallions fried in butter or coconut oil.

I make up a huge bath of hard boiled eggs and grilled chicken breast tenderloins and keep them handy for a quick snack. Sharp chedder cheese slices are an easy go to snack. Mini turkey and veg meat balls also! I'm planning on also making 'muffins' out of eggs, bacon, and cheese to keep in the fridge. Greek yogurt (the plain kind) that is made with the highest fat content is also available. My kids love fruit, and they are welcome to it at any time, but it doesn't fill them up. Hummus is a good dip for veggies, and can easily be made at home. I always have a jar of raw nuts, a handful of those goes a long way. If I'm running late or out the door, they are allowed to have a Lara Bar, the only ingredients are cashews and dates. Another thing they LOVE is kale chips. Super easy to make. While they aren't high in protein, they are WAY better than chips or popcorn, they pack a nice nutritional punch. And since they are drizzled with olive oil, they do contain some fat, which will help hold them off longer.

Here is my baked oatmeal recipe:

• 3 cups oatmeal
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix all ingredients together (I soften the butter and cut it into the dry ingredients before mixing in the wet ingredients) and pour into 13 x 9 inch buttered pan.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.

I add chopped almonds and blueberries after it's finished cooking.

Copying this right now; thanks for sharing!

I think y'all are right about them needing more fat in their diet. Dh has had extremely high cholesterol and triglycerides since he was a teenager despite being tall and thin. Obviously genetic. Because of this we tend to eat lower fat. The ped and everyone said to give them low fat milk starting at two so I never questioned that till now. My kids aren't exactly skinny they are lean. Dd and ds11 are both very muscular. They both have defined abs and I'm jealous of their sculpted arms :lol: The Dr has said they both have high androgen levels which I'm sure isn't slowing down their metabolism any. Youngest ds looks like he is following in their footsteps. I know ds11 is just hitting that pre puberty growth spurt and I know he needs protein and fat. Would it be terrible to give them whole milk and more fat in general? I love yalls ideas and they do sound like things that my kids would eat and enjoy.

There are some good old threads on here about whether naturally occurring dietary fats really raise cholesterol, especially if one decreases overall carb consumption. With triglycerides, it is nearly impossible to have them be over 100 on a lower carb diet.

Check out Gary Taubes sometime if you are curious :) THere are some great links and old threads around. He has a NYT piece from a few years ago called "What If It Is All A Big Fat Lie?" that you might find interesting. He expanded on and refined his argument in the books that came after that piece was published.

LOL from this morning.

DD5 ate for breakfast-

1 medium apple

2 eggs scrambled in lard w/ tomatoes, peppers and onion

1 potato made into hashbrown fried in lard

~10 oz smoothie made w/ coconut cream, peanut butter, banana, blueberries, and cocoa

That was 1 hr ago, she just told me that she is hungry and wants a piece of fruit.

That sounds so yummy. I wish someone would make me breakfast. LOL

Sorry I'm not cooking for anyone else :) Btw it was yummy, the hashbrown was perfectly crisp and perfect w/ the eggs and veggies and the smoothie just sweet enough, I was a bit ticked when ds spilled half of my cup! I think we'll have the same thing tomorrow, maybe I'll add extra butter in the eggs after I cook them!