Menu

Just been one of those days

Our Jersey calved this morning. Calf was too big, needed to be pulled. It took too long and the calf died which was hard in and of itself as it had been AI'd to get a heifer to replace our girl. Then the cow started hemorrhaging, and we lost her too. I on the other hand wasn't even home for all of it. I had to see a psychologist and left just as the calf was being pulled. I knew that we would've lost the calf, didn't think I'd come home to no cow too. I got greeted by sobbing kids and a hubby that looked like he'd been run over. I keep telling myself that it's just a cow, but when you are with the animal every day, you get a little attached.

Just had to share with someone

:grouphug: So very sorry. Our new Jersey heifer comes home next month. I can't imagine loosing her. Such sweet animals that give us so much, feeding our babies as well as their own.

Out of curiosity...what was she A.I.'d to? I'm tempted to go with a small Angus for beef, but... Has she had many calves? Again, so sorry for your loss.

Edited by BillieBoy
Spelling

:grouphug: So very sorry. Our new Jersey heifer comes home next month. I can't imagine loosing her. Such sweet animals that give us so much, feeding our babies as well as their own.

Out of curiosity...what was she A.I.'d to? I'm tempted to go with a small Angus for beef, but... Has she had many calves? Again, so sorry for your loss.

She was AI'd to another Jersey. I wanted a full jersey for our next milk cow. Over the years growing up and now here I've worked with Brown Swiss, Angus crosses (my grandpa raised Angus), Holstein, and Jersey. We always come back to Jersey cause they are just such sweet cows. Normally they have fairly small calves. I've never seen anything like this out of a Jersey. The calf was almost 100lbs. Normally I expect to nothing bigger than 60lbs. She's a 5 year old cow so this wasn't her first calf and she normally doesn't have problems.

if you have an angus cross calf you'll have great beef, that's what we normally go with. make sure you don't let the calf have it all though and be prepared to feed it an egg or two for scours. They often can't handle all the milk and act like little piggies, eating too much.

Edited by Dory

It's not just a cow and it's not just an animal you've gotten attached to. She was also a lot of hard work and money too.

We were so sad when we lost our favorite milk cow. Baby lived but it was so sad.

When we were first married one of my jobs was to check the heifers morning and night. I had to ride the pasture and account for all of them. So stressful when they need to be pulled. I'm glad we're a steer operation now.

She was AI'd to another Jersey. I wanted a full jersey for our next milk cow. Over the years growing up and now here I've worked with Brown Swiss, Angus crosses (my grandpa raised Angus), Holstein, and Jersey. We always come back to Jersey cause they are just such sweet cows. Normally they have fairly small calves. I've never seen anything like this out of a Jersey. The calf was almost 100lbs. Normally I expect to nothing bigger than 60lbs. She's a 5 year old cow so this wasn't her first calf and she normally doesn't have problems.

if you have an angus cross calf you'll have great beef, that's what we normally go with. make sure you don't let the calf have it all though and be prepared to feed it an egg or two for scours. They often can't handle all the milk and act like little piggies, eating too much.

Thank you, Dory. I hope today is better for you. I wonder what caused your calf to be so huge? We are big Jersey fans. DH grew up with them and Angus, they even had a Jersey/Angus that milked well. We'll probably bottle feed:willy_nilly: (just got done with a batch of goats...ugh) I might try milk-share once a day milking, but I don't like what a calf can do to teats in the long run. Take care and I really hope you find another Jersey 'friend' soon.