Menu

What made Americans fat..........

The thing with the Lustig video is that he prefaces everything he says with, "I think..." and "I believe....". I'm willing to believe that for people whose metabolic processes are already damaged and have developed insulin resistance, his views may have some credence. But I have relatives who gained weight because they just ate too much. My dad and my grandma were both smokers back in the day. After they quit smoking their weight ballooned...my grandma doubled her weight and my dad packed on probably 80 pounds. Neither changed their eating habits, but both gained considerable weight once the appetite suppressing effects of smoking were removed. My mom gained 60 pounds when she was pregnant with my brother. Weight gain continued until she was in her 30s and she lost 98lbs on a low-calorie diet. Once she stopped dieting, her weight creeped back up. She's in her 60's now, but her metabolism is whacked out and even though she eats very little, she doesn't lose weight any longer.

Once a person gains a considerable amount of weight, it's very difficult to take it off, regardless, particularly after a certain age. Possibly metabolic disorder has something to do with it. But I can't disagree more with this doc's opening statement, "The two behaviors we associate with obesity: the increased intake and the decreased expenditure are markers for (results of) the biochemical process (being overweight) rather than causes." Again, maybe once weight gain is already in place for whatever reason (bad habit, pregnancy, illness, etc), this may be the case. But he doesn't really ever address what is causing the initial weight gain.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once a person gains a considerable amount of weight, it's very difficult to take it off, regardless particularly after a certain age. Possibly metabolic disorder has something to do with it. But I can't disagree more with this doc's opening statement, "The two behaviors we associate with obesity: the increased intake and the decreased expenditure are markers for (results of) the biochemical process (being overweight) rather than causes." Again, maybe once weight gain is already in place for whatever reason (bad habit, pregnancy, illness, etc), this may be the case. But he doesn't really ever address what is causing the initial weight gain.

Yes, he does 8:02

You know I love you too, but read the post.

I'm using Calorie Count

1 egg is 90 calories.

1oz of cheddar is 110 and I use about 4 for breakfast

I use about 4 tablespoons of butter @ 36

one tbsp of coconut oil is 125, and I use two

one tbsp of heavy cream (I put in my coffee) is 52, I use about 6 in my three cups

pico de gallo is 52 per gram

So, added up JUST FOR BREAKFAST, that's 1426 calories.

Holy smokes!! That is a bit higher than I thought. I was thinking egg 70 cals (maybe because I get just large not XL or something) and not thinking you use THAT much cheese. DO you measure the cheese? 2 ounces is quite a bit to me, when I grate it for the kids or something. I am dairy intolerant except for a small bit of greek yogurt. Obviously it is working for you. And I think eating more in the am and throughout the day with a lighter dinner is better.

But if you don't count the fat, it is low in calories. That's the thing. When I was eating crazy amounts of olive oil and coconut oil, I NEVER took that in to account. I would add up food calories and it would be fairly low. I am going back to the Primal thing as of today. I had a nice healthy scoop of homemade mayo with my broccoli slaw and I was in heaven. :D

My dairy intolerance got MUCH worse when I switched to 2% milk, and went back to a higher carb and very very little animal proteins. Like only beans, lentils etc.

:lol: I wrote a whole post on what I ate! :lol:

I know, I read it.

See, this is what I mean, I'm not saying calories don't matter in the *least*.

Then I have no idea what you mean by your diet proving me wrong.

You need to read the whole thread. I've disproved that in almost every post I've made.

Don't you think if it were that easy, most people would have already? I mean, that's a no brainer. Search all my posts on this thread, read all of them, and then tell me what you think. Because your post is really insulting to those of us who have done everything right and still suffered.

Sorry, I actually hadn't finished everything I wanted to say, but had to run. Instead of losing everything I had already written, I posted, not realizing it would be hours before I could finish my thoughts.

Diet is only one piece of the puzzle, as is exercise. There are also many other things, including genetics, that play a role in our weight issues. There are many things that can make getting to, and staying at, a healthy weight incredibly difficult, even if you eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly.

What I was trying to say, though, is that it isn't just one thing. Saying we are overweight because of the amount of carbs we eat completely ignores a whole host of other things that contribute to the weight issues in this country.

The over-processed junk is a big part of it, though. It is cheaper than healthy food. It is faster & easier to prepare. So, many people chose to eat that salt, sugar, & chemical filled 'food' instead of going broke trying to buy fresh produce & healthy ingredients. Not everyone that is at an unhealthy weight, not everyone who is unhealthy, eats that junk, but many do. Some simply never learned how to cook, so can't cook anything better. Some feel they don't have the time for preparing healthy meals. Some simply don't want to change their lives to live healthier. Still others aren't even educated enough about basic nutrition to be able to make better food choices. There are many people whose weight & general healthy would greatly improve by the simple act of eating a healthier diet.

However, some people do eat healthy, get exercise, and really try to live a healthy life & still have to fight their weight every single day. The reasons are different for everybody. Some have thyroid issues. Some have genetic predisposition to being heavier. Some are on a medication that causes weight gain & makes weight loss almost impossible. Some have medical conditions that get in the way of getting enough exercise. Some have food sensitivities or allergies that limit the foods they can eat, which may prevent a balanced diet. There are a million things that can be blamed for the weight problems in this country. I was simply saying that it can't all be blamed on just the amount of one food type.

Diet is only one piece of the puzzle, as is exercise. There are also many other things, including genetics, that play a role in our weight issues. There are many things that can make getting to, and staying at, a healthy weight incredibly difficult, even if you eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly.

What I was trying to say, though, is that it isn't just one thing. Saying we are overweight because of the amount of carbs we eat completely ignores a whole host of other things that contribute to the weight issues in this country.

Of course there are other factors involved. The point is that for some people, carbs are the big thing. Exercise improves many conditions for which a lack of it is not the cause. For example, exercise improves outcomes for people with cancer. But cancer is the problem, not a lack of exercise. Same goes for many other factors.

Well, there are at least two more options:

4. If you want quick results but can't eat LC/HF, consult Dr. Fuhrman. His patients' health turnarounds are near miraculous, and I believe his plan is sustainable because my husband has been eating that way for over 20 years. It has worked for me, as well. It's extreme, but no more so than LC/HF and a good alternative for those of us who simply cannot eat LC. (I can't afford LC, can't ethically support factory farming methods in the US, and have lupus-affected kidneys that can't handle much animal protein.)

5. You could cut WAY back on starches, snacks, and portion sizes, and increase your proteins, vegetables, fruits, and healthy fats without actually eating LC/HF, and seriously improve your activity level. Not low fat. Not low calorie. Not low carb, either. Just small balanced meals and veggies for snacks, and take a big old walk every day of your life. That moderate lifestyle keeps millions of people all over the world in pretty good shape including 90% of my extended family.

I'm thrilled for anyone who has found health by any system whatsoever, and I do believe it's true that people with IR, PCOS, etc. really should be eating LC. But it's a false presentation to say that the only options for the general public are

1. low fat failure

2. low carb/high fat success

3. eating one's way to oblivion and despair.

:iagree: And that's what I'm trying and maybe failing to say. The bolded above is how I've kept my weight in check through 7 babies. Not said to boast, but just so everyone knows where I'm coming from. I've watched my parents struggle with weight related diseases and I know my genes are terrible, so I've been careful to head off at the pass any weight creep since my 20's. I eat whole grain carbs every day for breakfast (whole wheat toast with butter or peanut butter, or whole grain cereal, or oatmeal, or yogurt and granola). Sometimes it's a fried egg and bacon with toast. I generally snack through lunch on some combination of fruit, nuts, protein bars, yogurt, cheese slices, leftover chicken or meat of some sort, cut up veggies (or sometimes a big plate of steamed) or occasionally a pb and J or a grilled cheese. Dinner is either more of the above if it's a fend for yourself night or else it's cooked from scratch. Often it's pasta, rice, or potato based. We eat meat about 3X a week. I drink a beer or a glass of wine every night with my husband after work. I eat chocolate when I feel like it, but baked goods only rarely because I've lost my taste for them. I used to eat more of them when I was young. I drink a lot of 2% milk, a little coffee, a glass of orange, grapefruit or veggie juice almost every day, but almost no soda, lemonade, or other sweetened drinks. I weigh myself every morning. I noticed I'd gained 5lbs during the first month of our summer in Chicago, so I bought a scale. I don't actively restrict calories, but I do notice that I indulge cravings for things like ice cream or an extra beer with my husband :D if I'm not watching the scale daily.

The difference between gaining a pound a week or maintaining is about 500 calories. 500 calories is nothing to add to a normal diet. I find it easier to avoid gaining the weight in the first place than to try to take it off once it's there, so that has been my strategy since college (when I put on an extra 20 pounds eating mostly processed foods and alcohol).

Anyway, everything about the above paradigm is completely foreign to my own experience and I think it's a grave mistake to assume LC and HF is the only way for anyone to eat.

Ok, but the time period between running away from saber tooth's to now is huge and people weren't as fat 100 years ago as they are now.

I wonder if it is because of all the GMOs. Are people doing the lots of meat diet losing because cows/pigs/fish are not genetically engineered (yet)?

I'm the first to argue that people's bodies are different. Some bodies compensate where others cannot. Some bodies compensate when they are young and wear themselves out with it and fail in the end. Some bodies never have a problem; if you were blessed with a body that doesn't get fat whether you eat everything in sight or eat like a bird or eat perfectly (because you happen to be one of those who knows exactly what a perfect diet is), that doesn't mean you know everything about how everyone else gains weight.

It's so...aaaaaaah.

For what it's worth, I don't have a big weight problem, just a bit too much in the middle I'm still carrying around from my pregnancies, and a diastasis doesn't help. But my sister grew up overweight, then obese, then morbidly obese. My whole life I just wanted to slug people on her behalf. I saw her try so hard, for years, for rewards my parents offered (a new wardrobe, a makeover, new makeup, a new car...). She worked so much harder to lose weight than I've ever worked on anything my whole life!

She couldn't do it and she felt like a big fat loser. Now she's 42 and knows in her heart she is a big fat loser, even when those of us who love her know she's not. It is her personal truth about herself and it is a lie. She has spent almost her entire life embarrassed to go out in public. I don't remember a time when she didn't run away from a camera. A camera comes out and all of the sudden, she has to go to the bathroom or it's time to check on the kids... Can you imagine living like that your whole life? And choosing it? Just come on!

She thought she wasn't worth much because her whole life all she heard people talk about was her potential, what she could be if only... I remember thinking as a teenager that if one more person told her she had a pretty face, I was going to punch their lights out. She married a total jerk because she thought that was the best she could ever do. The night she came home after meeting him, she was lit up with the newness of the feeling of being wanted. But he was and still is just a total SOB. (Sorry but there is no other way to put it.) She thought, and still thinks, so little of herself. And I'm disgusted because all I ever saw was how darn hard she tried...to lose weight, to be a true friend to people, to be a good daughter, to be a good wife (to a guy who treats her like crap), and a good mother (to three teenage boys she showered with love all their lives only for them to be embarrassed to go out with her now). :crying:

Well, just boo to anyone who thinks she just should have been able to magically get her bum off the couch and think her way to skinny. I'm just mad. Maybe you're right though. Because now that I've read so much about insulin and insulin resistance and low-carb and I've told her all about it, she too exhausted and hopeless to give it one more try. After 35 years of trying to lose weight, she's tired of trying. Shocking, no?

Well I think you're mixing up a couple of things here, which is Americans' Fat Aversion (and tendency to feel free to discriminate against and mock those who are fat), and the ironic Fat Problem, which is growing ever larger based on "overweight" and "obesity" rates. And I certainly don't blame you for your reaction, because it has hit home and affected someone close to you.

And I'm not trying to stir up the pot, or anything, just asking in all honesty, does your sister have one of these metabolic disorders or physical issues that makes her unable to lose the weight? (a doctor diagnosed thing?) Has she been able to lose the weight in some sort of reasonable fashion (i.e. a "healthy" diet as opposed to a "crash diet")? Do you know for sure that she doesn't sabotage herself with Calorie Binges when a diet or attempt to eat healthy becomes too much?

What I'm getting at here is that you've listed some powerful motivators that apparently have not helped her lose weight. At the same time, for some people the satisfaction of food (and certain types of it) outweighs ALL of these other motivators because the reward is so immediate and so satisfying. Really, eating foods you like in the quantities you like is a HUGE reward (in my opinion, and speaking for myself personally), and the benefits you get from being at a more normal or ideal weight tend to pale in comparison.

I think of people like Oprah who clearly had the ability to get down to a manageable size, and had all the advice, chefs and help in the world to do so. Not to mention the motivation of appearing before cameras daily, and the eyes of the public. Yet. None of that was enough to inspire her to stay with the healthy, portion-controlled diet.

And unless you're with someone 24/7, you truly cannot know what they eat behind closed doors. And maybe she does have a medical issue, whether diagnosed or not. Believe me you and she both have my sympathy, I think the discrimination against the fat and obese is sickening -- it shoud be as looked down upon as racial jokes, yet it's perfectly okay for comedians and sitcoms and people in polite company to make comments. I DON'T think it's okay.

:grouphug:

I find it easier to avoid gaining the weight in the first place than to try to take it off once it's there, so that has been my strategy since college (when I put on an extra 20 pounds eating mostly processed foods and alcohol).

Anyway, everything about the above paradigm is completely foreign to my own experience and I think it's a grave mistake to assume LC and HF is the only way for anyone to eat.

:iagree:

I also find this thread insulting from the other side of the coin. There ARE people who control their weight through everyday, portion control and exercise and they do it for their entire lives. It takes hard work, effort, and daily, hourly even, vigilance. It is a bit insulting to claim that overweight people are overweight through no fault of their own. I'm not sure why that rubs me wrong, but I struggle everyday to make choices to not get to that place. Even if that means I go hungry between meals, or never feel stuffed. It's easy I guess to shove that off and act like everyone does that, when in reality they don't. To maintain so much extra weight, you have to take in X amount of extra calories. It takes a lot of calories to maintain so much extra weight to be considered obese, etc.

Who is saying that it's needed for everyone? If you don't have IR, eat bread, No one is stopping you.

Well not to pick on Stacy (cause I love you Stacy!) but she seems to say so in her OP:

The old way of thinking illustrated by the food pyramid with grains and carbs as the base of the pyramid is and was wrong and damaging. We should be eating far fewer carbs/grains (whether whole grain or not) and more fat and protein.

Respected physicians who head the nutrition science departments at Harvard and Duke have conducted clinical trials (not observational studies - for those who care about the distinction) which have shown:

1. Carbs cause insulin resistance which promotes obesity and weight gain.

2. Fat does not as previously thought cause heart disease.

3. Type 2 diabetes can be cured by practicing a LCHF (low carb/high fat) diet.

If diet, health, and weight gain/loss is a concern for you, please look into LCHF diets and do some research. Here are some valuable links:

This isn't the first time I've heard the low-carb/high fat for everyone gospel preached on this board. Even fruit and certain vegetables have been demonized in some threads.

I agree with this and the Op. Here's my take: Processed/fast food = weight gain. Slow/unprocessed food= burn more calories, eat healthier.

Think about how many more calories you burn making a loaf of bread by hand from start to finish, compared to opening a bag of processed bread, not to mention the difference in ingredients.

I think the problem is not a simple one that can be whittled down to one or two variables. It hasn't been that long since most people in this country looked fit and trim compared to today. Watch a movie or television show made in the 60's or 70's. You see almost no overweight people.

What is different?

*Soda is now the drink of choice in our nation, it is cheaper than real juice or milk. Diet soda is the beverage of choice for the overweight and diabetic. I believe soda is the number one cause of food caused health problems by in this country, I've seen info to back this up.

*There are more choices of processed foods, in more flavors, colors, sizes, all scientifically guaranteed to provide you the nutrition of the "real thing" with less fuss and muss. This appeals to so many senses and the desire to "save time" for television watching or video game playing. What people do not realize is that all the fuss and muss of preparing real food by scratch and cleaning up afterwords, makes us healthier.

* The cost of food, especially the worst offenders, has been kept artificially low in relation to inflation and income. This can make people less careful and less conservative when they shop and eat.

* Plus, portions in many restaurants are twice the size of what an average person should eat. Eating out is now seen as a normal part of life for many people. Food in restaurants has more calories from bad fats and carbohydrates, and more sodium, than similar food made at home.

I could go on and on. Growing practices. Hybridization. Subsidies. You could combine all the opinions posted on this thread and you just begin to scratch the surface. There is more to the problem than science, there is also psychology, culture, and education.

The magic bullets are many: Eat slow food. Eat real food, mostly plants. Eat whole foods. Eat less, move more. Adapting these principles to fit your life in your own way can only improve it. They can be used in many ways, and each person's way may look different. JMHO :D

:iagree::iagree:

Drs have NO right to be handing out nutrition advice. Not at all. They know nothing about it, unless they specialize in it. My just brand spankin new diabetic Dad got advice that was *horrible* from his GP. There are good ones out there, but the majority are ignorant oh nutrition.

HEre's a mind boggling graph.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/stunning-saturated-fat-and-the-european-paradox

Fat-CVD.jpg

That would make a nutritionists head explode. And it's also WHY the Italians, French, and so forth are leaner. Full fats, moderate portions.

There are many, many, many more reasons why people in Azerbaijan, Georgia, Ukraine... etc have higher CHD mortality rates than richer friends in the west (Germany, Italy, Ireland.....) other than saturated fat intake. Life (stress, overall medical care, poverty, war....) isn't comparable.

Having said that I am a bit surprised that anybody finds it a new information that eating carbs = weight gain. Everybody I have ever known that has gone on a diet has eliminated bread, potatoes and pasta first. :tongue_smilie:

Well I think you're mixing up a couple of things here, which is Americans' Fat Aversion (and tendency to feel free to discriminate against and mock those who are fat), and the ironic Fat Problem, which is growing ever larger based on "overweight" and "obesity" rates. And I certainly don't blame you for your reaction, because it has hit home and affected someone close to you.

And I'm not trying to stir up the pot, or anything, just asking in all honesty, does your sister have one of these metabolic disorders or physical issues that makes her unable to lose the weight? (a doctor diagnosed thing?) Has she been able to lose the weight in some sort of reasonable fashion (i.e. a "healthy" diet as opposed to a "crash diet")? Do you know for sure that she doesn't sabotage herself with Calorie Binges when a diet or attempt to eat healthy becomes too much?

What I'm getting at here is that you've listed some powerful motivators that apparently have not helped her lose weight. At the same time, for some people the satisfaction of food (and certain types of it) outweighs ALL of these other motivators because the reward is so immediate and so satisfying. Really, eating foods you like in the quantities you like is a HUGE reward (in my opinion, and speaking for myself personally), and the benefits you get from being at a more normal or ideal weight tend to pale in comparison.

I think of people like Oprah who clearly had the ability to get down to a manageable size, and had all the advice, chefs and help in the world to do so. Not to mention the motivation of appearing before cameras daily, and the eyes of the public. Yet. None of that was enough to inspire her to stay with the healthy, portion-controlled diet.

And unless you're with someone 24/7, you truly cannot know what they eat behind closed doors. And maybe she does have a medical issue, whether diagnosed or not. Believe me you and she both have my sympathy, I think the discrimination against the fat and obese is sickening -- it shoud be as looked down upon as racial jokes, yet it's perfectly okay for comedians and sitcoms and people in polite company to make comments. I DON'T think it's okay.

Thanks. My sister does have several diagnoses that make it difficult to lose weight. I got emotional and said more than I should have about her though, and I don't care to elaborate beyond saying that no, she did not binge. Ever. She ate less than I did. Probably still does. She was not anorexic or bulimic and none of her diagnoses are mental health issues.

I don't believe I'm mixing anything up though. I think everything is connected. When people think going low carb isn't necessary, even for some people (almost nothing is true of all people always) and that having a healthy round diet should be enough, that is basically the same thing as saying that if you can't maintain a reasonable weight on a healthy round diet, then you are eating too much or not exercising enough. I never saw anyone sweat so hard working out or eat a more typical perfect, healthy diet than my sister. Meanwhile I could eat anything and everything, seconds of everything she restricted to one serving, and be slender.

We are all different.

I have to leave the thread though, because it's too emotional for me.

:iagree: I also believe it's all the fast food, larger portions, sedentary lifestyle..... I don't believe carbs/grains are bad. I think people need to eat more whole foods, less processed foods, and get off of their butts once in awhile. :D

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

NO ONE said that it was none thing. But it's probably the biggest thing, because unless you have eaten organic grass fed no sugar all your life, you've ingested HFCS. Which MAY be the trigger that starts it all, and keeps the cycle going.

SOME people may not be effected by it, but apparently MANY are.

:iagree: And that's what I'm trying and maybe failing to say. The bolded above is how I've kept my weight in check through 7 babies. Not said to boast, but just so everyone knows where I'm coming from. I've watched my parents struggle with weight related diseases and I know my genes are terrible, so I've been careful to head off at the pass any weight creep since my 20's. I eat whole grain carbs every day for breakfast (whole wheat toast with butter or peanut butter, or whole grain cereal, or oatmeal, or yogurt and granola). Sometimes it's a fried egg and bacon with toast. I generally snack through lunch on some combination of fruit, nuts, protein bars, yogurt, cheese slices, leftover chicken or meat of some sort, cut up veggies (or sometimes a big plate of steamed) or occasionally a pb and J or a grilled cheese. Dinner is either more of the above if it's a fend for yourself night or else it's cooked from scratch. Often it's pasta, rice, or potato based. We eat meat about 3X a week. I drink a beer or a glass of wine every night with my husband after work. I eat chocolate when I feel like it, but baked goods only rarely because I've lost my taste for them. I used to eat more of them when I was young. I drink a lot of 2% milk, a little coffee, a glass of orange, grapefruit or veggie juice almost every day, but almost no soda, lemonade, or other sweetened drinks. I weigh myself every morning. I noticed I'd gained 5lbs during the first month of our summer in Chicago, so I bought a scale. I don't actively restrict calories, but I do notice that I indulge cravings for things like ice cream or an extra beer with my husband :D if I'm not watching the scale daily.

The difference between gaining a pound a week or maintaining is about 500 calories. 500 calories is nothing to add to a normal diet. I find it easier to avoid gaining the weight in the first place than to try to take it off once it's there, so that has been my strategy since college (when I put on an extra 20 pounds eating mostly processed foods and alcohol).

So, what you ARE saying is that these people who struggle just need to be more like you because it's easier for you. Well, thank God you have it easy. I'm not saying that sarcastically, I'm being truthful, be really heartfelt grateful that you have no idea what it's like for others.

Stacey didn't start this thread to say ALL overweight people should eat like this, it's a cure all. NO WHERE did she say that. She offered an idea. Many of us also have had much success with it and added our chorus.

MAny pf you who have never had trouble with IR/weightloss have never HAD to try it and therefore really can't speak with any authority about how it *doesn't* work for you--because you've never tried/had to.

:iagree:

I also find this thread insulting from the other side of the coin. There ARE people who control their weight through everyday, portion control and exercise and they do it for their entire lives. It takes hard work, effort, and daily, hourly even, vigilance. It is a bit insulting to claim that overweight people are overweight through no fault of their own. I'm not sure why that rubs me wrong, but I struggle everyday to make choices to not get to that place. Even if that means I go hungry between meals, or never feel stuffed. It's easy I guess to shove that off and act like everyone does that, when in reality they don't. To maintain so much extra weight, you have to take in X amount of extra calories. It takes a lot of calories to maintain so much extra weight to be considered obese, etc.

Again, count yourself blessed. We're not all as blessed as you, and it don't mean we don't try hard or go hungry. Have you really *read* one of my posts on this thread? :confused: I was sending myself into hypoglycemic *crashes* going hungry and STILL gaining weight. PLease, *read*.

Again, count yourself blessed. We're not all as blessed as you, and it don't mean we don't try hard or go hungry. Have you really *read* one of my posts on this thread? :confused: I was sending myself into hypoglycemic *crashes* going hungry and STILL gaining weight. PLease, *read*.

Unfortunately I have read the entire thread and went over it more than once. I'm sure my time could have been spent in better ways today. I think many people are not well versed in nutrition and may not realize the sneaky ways calories are coming in. I have seen this time and time again. No one thinks they are not keeping track though.

I didn't share to brag about how 'blessed' I am :confused: I shared to show that it does take consistent, even hourly decisions. I just don't see many people that are willing to put in that kind of effort.

But okay, you are right and I am wrong. We can agree to disagree. I am PMS'ing I think and I can just be a beast when I am, and I also have a hard time letting things go, but at least I don't take it out on my family (much). Sorry.

To a large extent LCHF dieting is about the absence of cravings. Possibly you crave those yummy foods and when you're going through an emotional time your resistance weakens? Maintaining a low-fat diet requires iron will, imo. LCHF diet doesn't.

Again, congratulations on your weight loss and good luck reaching your goal however you choose to pursue it. :001_smile:

I did gain a lot of my weight back. I know exactly why too. I stopped walking and started eating ice cream, chips, candy, cookies etc. I didn't become overweight eating whole grains, beans, veggies and fruit.

I am an emotional eater and was dealing with a particularly stressful/emotional time in my life. I am dealing with the emotional eater aspect and will lose the weight again.

Off topic, but I do find it hilarious to see young people call themselves vegetarians and they eat highly processed foods and very little fruits and veggies. I truly do not get that. Why not just call yourself a CARB-it-tarian?

Junkatarian would be more apt. ;)

Two clinical trials does not a body of evidence make. My undergrad is in public health. I can tell you that the largest, strongest studies, i.e., long-term, prospective, large population design, all demonstrate that a plants-based diet, where vegetables--not meats, not grains, not fruits--make up the majority, is the healthiest. Healthiest in terms of lowering obesity, cancer, heart disease and a whole host of other ailments.

I happen to believe that's why a lot of ancient religions and cultures have, in built in them, times of fasting, when one is encouraged to give up meats, dairy, leavened breads, etc. And why so many medicines are derived from plants. Because there is some inherent wisdom in making plants the basis of our diet that various cultures have grasped.

It bothers me that something that is healthy (vegetarianism, or plants-based diet) has become the political territory of some folks, who claim that it's something new or radical, instead of the opposite. A plants-based, low-meat, balanced diet has always been more the rule than the opposite (there did exist folks like Henry VIII and rich folk--and they often suffered such conditions as gout due to their high fat diets). Certainly, there has always been a history in many Christian traditions of folks who abstained from anything but the plainest meals, and certainly, a diet high in fat, or sugar, was discouraged by the Church. I think naming "gluttony" as one of the seven sins is certainly no PC act.

High fat, high protein diets is a new concept for Americans, existing only since maybe the 1950s, and part of government experimentation, in terms of public health. And I don't believe that any diet that emphasizes one thing to an extreme is ever healthy, whether it is carbs, fats, or proteins.

:iagree:with all of this too.

Yes, he does 8:02

No, at 8.02 he is talking about what makes you insulin resistant. He says developing IR is "complicated" and that many factors go into insulin resistance such as glucocortisoids, certain drugs, and sedentary activity (didn't he say at the beginning that sedentary activity was a result of obsesity and IR, not the cause of it?). He is not addressing the question of how healthy weight adults without insulin resistance gain 30, 50, or 80 pounds (and sometimes go on to develop insulin resistance). You can also be overweight or obese and yet not be IR. My mom is. I don't disagree with a lot of what the man is saying regarding fructose and the issue of IR folks. But he is really reaching to say that diet and exercise are a result of metabolic issues and not the cause of them. He never supports his claim at the beginning of the video.

The scientific consensus on the "why" of AmericaĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s obesity problem has recently- since about 2002- undergone a profound paradigm shift.

The old way of thinking illustrated by the food pyramid with grains and carbs as the base of the pyramid is and was wrong and damaging. We should be eating far fewer carbs/grains (whether whole grain or not) and more fat and protein.

Respected physicians who head the nutrition science departments at Harvard and Duke have conducted clinical trials (not observational studies - for those who care about the distinction) which have shown:

1. Carbs cause insulin resistance which promotes obesity and weight gain.

2. Fat does not as previously thought cause heart disease.

3. Type 2 diabetes can be cured by practicing a LCHF (low carb/high fat) diet.

If diet, health, and weight gain/loss is a concern for you, please look into LCHF diets and do some research. Here are some valuable links:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17684196?dopt=Abstract

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html?scp=1&sq=what%20if%20its%20all%20been%20a%20big%20fat%20lie?&st=cse

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/pyramid/

Stepping off my soap box now......

True, but Type 2 diabetes is also reversed and cured with a vegan diet. Also, Raw Vegan Diets promote amazing benefits.

I think the problem is when it is high carb along with high fat. If you eat more carbs, then you should eat lower fat. If you eat higher fat, then you should have lower carbs.

I'm off to read the rest of the thread now.

Thank you.

I knew my brain was telling me I learned about this pyramid long before the 1990's. Wasn't there an ABC Afterschool Special Cartoon on it too in the 1970's? For some reason that really rings a bell.

I hope so. I graduated h/s in the early 80s and knew about the food pyramid then.

So, what you ARE saying is that these people who struggle just need to be more like you because it's easier for you. Well, thank God you have it easy. I'm not saying that sarcastically, I'm being truthful, be really heartfelt grateful that you have no idea what it's like for others.

No, I never said it was easy. Taking off 20 pounds after college was beastly and I was young. I wouldn't even want to think about trying to do it now. But it is easier to maintain weight than lose it, at any age. That's all I was trying to say. And I find it easier to maintain my weight in the opposite manner of the style being described in this thread.

Stacey didn't start this thread to say ALL overweight people should eat like this, it's a cure all. NO WHERE did she say that. She offered an idea. Many of us also have had much success with it and added our chorus.

We'll have to disagree here. Maybe Stacey can chime in. It did seem like she was saying not just overweight people, but all people need to eat like this.

MAny pf you who have never had trouble with IR/weightloss have never HAD to try it and therefore really can't speak with any authority about how it *doesn't* work for you--because you've never tried/had to.

I believe you that you are doing the best for yourself and your body type. What works for you, works for you, you know? For me, I gained weight on a high fat, processed diet (mostly wings, cheeseburgers, and fries...I worked at a bar in college) and then lost it eating cereal for breakfast, a huge baked potato for lunch, and subway for dinner. So what works for you, didn't work for me (and yeah, I'm aware wings ain't London Broil, LOL) Point being, the idea that calories don't matter for anyone and weight gain isn't caused by eating too much or a sedentary lifestyle (which is what I understood the doctor to say in the first minute of the video), is a dangerous one for him to be preaching.

Who is saying that it's needed for everyone? If you don't have IR, eat bread, No one is stopping you.

Actually while no one has come right out and said it in this thread a lot of people who are getting hostile to any suggestion that LCHF isn't for everyone.

It's not completely new. What is new is the number of people stuggling with this issue who have made efforts to master it and continue to struggle.

Look, currently we tell people they have basically two options:

1. Live a low-fat, low calorie lifestyle while getting plenty of exercise. You may stuggle constantly to maintain this lifestyle. You may have constant cravings for items you aren't allowed to eat. You many still experience health issues related to diet (cancer, heart disease) but it's all worth it. You will feel like a loser and guilty if you aren't able to master this.

2. Eat whatever you want and suffer the consequences.

All I'm saying, and many of the other ladies on this thread are saying, it that there is a third alternative.

3. Eat a LCHF diet. You don't need to restrict your calories or your fat or protein intake. You will need to limit your carbs particularly those from sugar, flour, and other starches. But you can eat as much as you like of other calories. You won't get fat and probably will lose any excess weight you're carrying. Exercise if you like (it is good for your muscles, heart, lung capacity), but it isn't necessary for a trim lifestyle. Also, you will reduce your risk of heart disease and maybe even cancer and alzheimers. You'll usually feel satiated and will experience few cravings.

That's it.

There is actually a 4th alternative. There are people who eat high fat and get fat. My immediate family just to mention 3.

NO ONE said that it was none thing. But it's probably the biggest thing, because unless you have eaten organic grass fed no sugar all your life, you've ingested HFCS. Which MAY be the trigger that starts it all, and keeps the cycle going.

SOME people may not be effected by it, but apparently MANY are.

Everyone who has dared to voice the opinion that portion size, too much junk food, or too sedentary lifestyle are the cause of much (not all, but much) of the weight issues in this country has been chastised and accused of insulting all overweight people. I'm glad that you and others have had some success with this. However, a lot of people are overweight because of their choices, not because of IR, how little fat they eat, or how many carbs they eat. There are a whole lot of people for whom a LCHF diet would not be best.

For the record, I'm not bashing overweight people. I'm not some skinny little thing who has never fought her weight (nothing against those who are). I have battled my weight almost my entire life. I currently am fighting against a medicine that has increased my weight gain & made losing weight almost impossible. I've had all the tests done. I don't have diabetes, IR, thyroid issues, etc. Even once I get off this medication, my weight will still be a battle. There is no simple fix for me. I can't just cut down (or out) on any food group and have the weight suddenly become easy to lose & manage. I actually have several issues that make weight loss very difficult. Yet, I can still look at the national/global problem objectively and see that much of it can be helped/fixed by eating a healthy diet instead of junk and making more of an effort to move.

Tell me more.:D

Dr. Furhman's vegan lifestyle works for many. I can't live without eggs or milk in my tea or real butter so I don't do vegan. But I've been lacto-ovo vegetarian since Mardi Gras and have lost 10 pounds. Nothing fast but it is sustainable.

This has been an interesting thread. Off to bed now.

For the record, I'm not bashing overweight people. I'm not some skinny little thing who has never fought her weight (nothing against those who are). I have battled my weight almost my entire life. I currently am fighting against a medicine that has increased my weight gain & made losing weight almost impossible. I've had all the tests done. I don't have diabetes, IR, thyroid issues, etc. Even once I get off this medication, my weight will still be a battle. There is no simple fix for me. I can't just cut down (or out) on any food group and have the weight suddenly become easy to lose & manage. I actually have several issues that make weight loss very difficult. Yet, I can still look at the national/global problem objectively and see that much of it can be helped/fixed by eating a healthy diet instead of junk and making more of an effort to move.

Dr. Furhman's vegan lifestyle works for many. I can't live without eggs or milk in my tea or real butter so I don't do vegan. But I've been lacto-ovo vegetarian since Mardi Gras and have lost 10 pounds. Nothing fast but it is sustainable.

Goodnight, Chucki!

Actually while no one has come right out and said it in this thread a lot of people who are getting hostile to any suggestion that LCHF isn't for everyone.

I have been absolutely defensive, when told why it it shouldn't be working for me when it is.

No, it just proves that what you are doing is right for you. Not necessarily everyone else. Perry (or any other poster) does what works for her.

True, but in turn, I would hope that people would read what I posted-what I actually wrote, and respond to how it shouldn't be working for me. OR how it couldn't possibly work for me.

Perry didn't read my post *at all* and yet disagreed which is why I got upset.

Everyone who has dared to voice the opinion that portion size, too much junk food, or too sedentary lifestyle are the cause of much (not all, but much) of the weight issues in this country has been chastised and accused of insulting all overweight people. I'm glad that you and others have had some success with this. However, a lot of people are overweight because of their choices, not because of IR, how little fat they eat, or how many carbs they eat. There are a whole lot of people for whom a LCHF diet would not be best.

Absolutely UNTRUE. Actually, we've all said that yes, that probably ALSO has something to do with it. You've actually got a few fingers pointing back at you in that everyone who has been disagreeing with HFLC is pretty self assured that it's ALL we need to do is walk more eat better.

FTR, I wasn't overweight. I've never battled my weight until I hit about 35 and no matter what I put in my mouth, (and the lack of it, because I was in no way an overeater, and I we are very active) I gained weight. I sad that before. And I also said that I did what I did to keep myself OFF of diabetes meds, which is why I'm so happy with my results. It has to work for someone else, and the science is backing my own finding up. I didn't go looking for HFLC, I started eating that way FIRST, and had such success I started researching.

Many people have NO idea they are Insulin Resistant because even Merri and I never had a weight problem.

I've found this thread somewhat shocking. Very few people seem to be willing to admit that there is more than one problem that contributes to the weight problem in America, and that there is more than one solution to the problem. You cannot do a 'one size fits all' and I'm not sure why anyone is even bothering with saying anything in this thread still when for 30some pages now, every time another option is talked about, it gets shot down.

A very interesting read.:) My personal no-no list consists of; HFCS, hydrogenated oils, MSG, artificial sweeteners, artificial flavors and artificial colors.~shrug~

. For me, I gained weight on a high fat, processed diet (mostly wings, cheeseburgers, and fries...I worked at a bar in college) and then lost it eating cereal for breakfast, a huge baked potato for lunch, and subway for dinner.

So then it wasn't low carb high fat if it was processed. You can't eat processed food and fat and not gain weight. No one in this three is recommending that.

Our company is actually in nutrition. I'm no lightweight on this subject.

There is actually a 4th alternative. There are people who eat high fat and get fat. My immediate family just to mention 3.

I've battled weight my whole life. Diets are lies. You have to be conscious of what you're eating and doing and you have to be honest with yourself about it, too.

There is a 5th alternative. It's very simple. Eat a variety of real food in moderation, and exercise in moderation.

It really does work. The key to it, though, is variety and real food. High this, low that doesn't matter at all if it's processed crap. Your body really doesn't give a rat's patootie if you can only afford the cheap, processed crap either. That's not judgment. That's just a cold, hard fact. I think it's very sad that the worst "food" for us, is the cheapest "food" we can buy. If I were a conspiracy theorist, I would wonder if there wasn't a plot against the low-incomed.

I've found this thread somewhat shocking. Very few people seem to be willing to admit that there is more than one problem that contributes to the weight problem in America, and that there is more than one solution to the problem. You cannot do a 'one size fits all' and I'm not sure why anyone is even bothering with saying anything in this thread still when for 30some pages now, every time another option is talked about, it gets shot down.

Merriweather talked about it *repeatedly*. So did I.

I'm wondering if anyone who disagreed actually read any of our posts or watched the vids.

I've battled weight my whole life. Diets are lies. You have to be conscious of what you're eating and doing and you have to be honest with yourself about it, too.

There is a 5th alternative. It's very simple. Eat a variety of real food in moderation, and exercise in moderation.

It really does work. The key to it, though, is variety and real food. High this, low that doesn't matter at all if it's processed crap. Your body really doesn't give a rat's patootie if you can only afford the cheap, processed crap either. That's not judgment. That's just a cold, hard fact. I think it's very sad that the worst "food" for us, is the cheapest "food" we can buy. If I were a conspiracy theorist, I would wonder if there wasn't a plot against the low-incomed.

:iagree:I have heard if a product contains ingredients that you cannot actually buy to use as ingredients yourself, in your kitchen, you should put it back on the shelf.;)

For that I have a tin foil hat. I totally agree with you, and I think it's a stinking shame that we force-feed the most needy the worst food and then get mad at them for being overweight.

Perry didn't read my post *at all* and yet disagreed which is why I got upset.

Good grief. I don't even know what you're talking about. :confused: I wasn't even talking to you, and you said your post proved me wrong.

Eh, I'll still assert that it isn't that simple. Again, not overweight, but I can absolutely feel a difference in my hunger and satiety when eating grains. I have PCOS and insulin resistance, and in my case the IR and PCOS exist without obesity or being overweight, so no chicken and egg. PCOS and IR went back to high school when I was an active long distance runner and weighed under 100 lbs for all of high school. That's what makes me believe that the IR can come before the obesity. As people become more obese, they certainly can become more IR, but I do think the IR kicks things off for many people. I can pack on weight rapidly with grains and carbs (including whole grains or supposedly healthy options), even in moderation, even when combined with exercise. Heck, I love some beans and brown rice, but that just doesn't work for me, and I'd gain weight rapidly eating that way. Skipping those things makes it very easy for me to maintain a normal weight. Moreover, I feel normal...no brain fog, my mild psoriasis improves (again, that's linked to IR as well), I have no need to snack and it isn't a willpower issue...I just feel sated and content.

I've never been obese or overweight, but my PCOS gave me the good fortune of understanding what was going on before it ever got to that point. In that respect, I've always been thankful for the diagnosis because it gave me a lot of clues, and honestly it was helpful to my entire family. None of them have been diagnosed as IR, but they certainly are that way on the continuum...like I said, lots of metabolic syndrome, etc. It all made sense after my diagnosis.

If you aren't IR and haven't experienced it, I doubt you can understand what it *feels* like. I totally sympathize with those who battle weight, because while I am not overweight, I can absolutely see how I could get there in a heartbeat...for me, that's maintaining a state of hyperinsulemia. I realize we could go round and round on this, but as someone who has been dealing with this for 9 years now (since a PCOS diagnosis, but looking back these issues went back to high school when I had PCOS and IR without a diagnosis), I know how my body works. I think there are a lot of obese people out there who are truly "starving" and genuinely hungry as the result of insulin related issues. If you don't feel that way eating whole foods, whole grains, etc. that's great, but there are a lot of people who do have issues with those things.

Edited by Momof3littles

For that I have a tin foil hat. I totally agree with you, and I think it's a stinking shame that we force-feed the most needy the worst food and then get mad at them for being overweight.

Yeah, but we shouldn't be allowing welfare recipients to feed their kids real food. :glare:

I am just going off what you wrote here, but it sounds like none of those diets are HIGH fat, which is a huge factor in this discussion.

:iagree: I'm a big low-carb fan. But I don't think extremes are healthy, and I don't think it's particularly healthy to go no-holds barred on fat either. I eat LowER carb and also LowER fat. I eat beans, tomatoes, lower-carb fruit, sweet potatoes and yellow veggies and whole grains in moderation, many of which are banned on the super-low carb diets. I also don't eat lots of saturated fats. I eat healthy fats (try to avoid much saturated and no hydrogenated fats) and quite a bit of nuts, but reduced fat or no-fat dairy and lean cuts of meat (so no bacon and heavy cream).

Good grief. I don't even know what you're talking about. :confused: I wasn't even talking to you, and you said your post proved me wrong.

In this post

In this post.

And I originally answered you because you said that eating more =gaining weight, and that isn't true at all. I had posted what I've been eating which proves it wrong.

Which is the befuddling part and why It's been making me mad that people are just jumping on and saying how it can't work. It's a whole national mindset we've been taught. I think that's why people have gotten frustrated with it and just given up, like Alte's sister. They do what's right over and over and it doesn't work, then they get despondent.

Merriweather talked about it *repeatedly*. So did I.

I'm wondering if anyone who disagreed actually read any of our posts or watched the vids.

No, it's possible to read the posts, watch the video, read the articles, and still disagree. That video in particular was a lot of smoke and mirrors, IMO. Lots of opinion and terms thrown around, very little substantiation.

:iagree: I'm a big low-carb fan. But I don't think extremes are healthy, and I don't think it's particularly healthy to go no-holds barred on fat either. I eat LowER carb and also LowER fat. I eat beans, tomatoes, lower-carb fruit, sweet potatoes and yellow veggies and whole grains in moderation, many of which are banned on the super-low carb diets. I also don't eat lots of saturated fats. I eat healthy fats (try to avoid much saturated and no hydrogenated fats) and quite a bit of nuts, but reduced fat or no-fat dairy and lean cuts of meat (so no bacon and heavy cream).

I hope to get there. I hope that when I get healthier, I can add more carbs, but right now I'm so super sensitive to them (and perhaps others are, also) that I can't tolerate more than an handful of berries. It seems the slightest change at this point brings back the hypoglycemic crashes.

I truly hope that this thread can help someone stay off diabetes meds, or get their insulin back under control. It's been wild and wooly, but I hope that someone can pull some good ideas out of it and get control of their lives back.

No, it's possible to read the posts, watch the video, read the articles, and still disagree. That video in particular was a lot of smoke and mirrors, IMO. Lots of opinion and terms thrown around, very little substantiation.

OK, then the thousands of people he has helped -being it's his specialty- and my own experience is smoke and mirrors.

I'll agree to disagree.