Menu

What made Americans fat..........

But that's true for any diet, not just low fat. Which makes giving wight loss advice frought with danger. Anytime you tell people how to loose weight, it is very likely that that many many of them will loose some weight, then gain it back plus more when they return to their previous eating habits, leaving them worse off than they were before.

This is what I am trying to get my head wrapped around. I know I can lose weight but I want to keep it off for life. I know I need to change my habits, but that is hard for me. I don't know why I struggle with this, but I know until I change I won't be successful no matter which diet I use. It needs to be a lifestyle.

Focusing on weight makes us lose sight of overall heath. Here's a truth, though. Diets high in carbs and low in fats and protein are bad for your heart regardless of your weight. Thin folks or folks with just a few extra pounds can suffer from conditions relationed to bad triglycerides on low-fat high carb diets.

Could you please post a reference for this?

http://www.heartattackproof.com/resolving_cade.htm

Dr. Esselstyn has REVERSED heart disease with a plant-based LF/HC diet. Dr. Ornish has done the same. Dr. McDougall has reversed diabetes, HBP, and many other ailments through his "starch-based" diet. Dr. Fuhrman also gets great results. LF/HC diets do not cause heart disease.

:iagree:

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What made americans fat?

I did. *phew* it is such a relief to get that off my chest. You have no idea what a weight I was carrying around with me. I didn't mean to make them all fat, it started as a test of subliminal messaging, and unfortunately I forgot to include a stop term and so now people eat and eat and eat, and it is all my fault! Please forgive me.

:lol:

But that doesn't really tell me anything though. How much is "very high?"

To the point where the Kung! think that it's a great feast when they get diarrhea from all of the fat ingestion. That is a feast, though. I think for regular days they just eat a lot of it. :001_smile:

What made americans fat?

I did. *phew* it is such a relief to get that off my chest. You have no idea what a weight I was carrying around with me. I didn't mean to make them all fat, it started as a test of subliminal messaging, and unfortunately I forgot to include a stop term and so now people eat and eat and eat, and it is all my fault! Please forgive me.

I so love you. :lol:

To the point where the Kung! think that it's a great feast when they get diarrhea from all of the fat ingestion. That is a feast, though. I think for regular days they just eat a lot of it. :001_smile:
The problem with looking at traditional high fat Kung! and Inuit diet is that life expectancy was so short (for myriad reasons) that long-term effects of their diet on longevity are largely a matter of speculation.

The problem with looking at traditional high fat Kung! and Inuit diet is that life expectancy was so short (for myriad reasons) that long-term effects of their diet on longevity are largely a matter of speculation.

True, but, they had excellent cardiovascular health. It might be a stretch to think that it would change as they got older (had they lived) if their diet stayed the same.

Really only 1,400 calories? That seems really low for those items.

I've been eating this way for 21 days. At first I lost 15 pounds and then as I played with carbs such as fruits I gained back. So now I'm at a loss of 13 pounds.

I eat eggs almost every morning witth heavy cream in my coffee. Cheese, and pastured butter. I think I posted about 14oo calories in a previous thread.

Lunch was a small salad and blue cheese dressing.

Dinner was zuchinni, string bean, onions, and garlic sautee, with coconut oil and butter, in a balsalmic reduction and about 1/2 a porkchop because I was so full.

I do have and eat full fat, 10%, yogurt, but if I eat a less fat yogurt, it's too much lactose for me and I'll gain weight right back. I Feed my stringbean kids full fat milk, but right now I can't even drink that.

I don't exersize. Not like going to classes and such. But I am very active. Even today before these crazy storms came though I was in the pool swimming, and teaching the kids how to dive. We are in a walking town so we walk, and we hike often on weekends because we have a lot of state park trails BUTBUTBUT, we've not been doing that because my Dd is still recovering from an operation.

Like I said, I've lost about 13 pounds.

No that's just for breakfast :D

Are you kidding me? I'm really trying to see this through people's experiences. I know WendyK has posted in favor of eating this way, and I'd like to hear weight stories from her and other meat/high fat dairy/low carb eaters. I'm wondering how long I'd have to eat like that to start seeing these last 10 pounds slip away.

Are you kidding me? I'm really trying to see this through people's experiences. I know WendyK has posted in favor of eating this way, and I'd like to hear weight stories from her and other meat/high fat dairy/low carb eaters. I'm wondering how long I'd have to eat like that to start seeing these last 10 pounds slip away.

Yes, that was just for breakfast. :D

Probably a week to two, but how fast depends on how much you limit your carbs and if you really want to sustain that. The first few days though your water goes out of whack, so you have to drink a LOT of water (don't worry, you'll be thirsty). Carbs bloat you. You have to work it all through your system.You'll be surprised how less bloated you feel.

Edited by justamouse

For me, 10lbs in 2 weeks very reasonable, though I am overweight, which speeds weight loss.

My stats: 5'9" tall. Start weight 226lbs. Current weight 205lbs. Lowest weight 201lbs (ate like crap for a couple of weeks in there. Working on getting back to where I was now).

Typical day:

Breakfast: 2 or 3 eggs, poached, scrambled, or fried in coconut oil. 2 or 3 slices nitrate free bacon. 1/2 avocado.

Lunch: Tuna salada (made with olive oil, carrots, hot peppers, nuts, and seasonings) on half an avocado. Handful of carrots.

Dinner: Big green salad topped with seasoned ground beef, peppers & onions fried in coconut oil, nuts, salsa, and guac (homemade).

I can't even begin to estimate the calories, I don't pay any attention to them. It works out to about 15g carbohydrate for the day, pretty much all from the veggies (which I eat a lot of).

When I am 100% compliant I lose 0.5-1lb per day, pretty much without fail. I eat as much as I want of these foods, until I am full. I eat again when I feel like it. When I am mostly compliant I lose more like 1-2lb per week. When I go totally off diet for a week, I tend to stay pretty much stable. After 2 weeks I start regaining.

Just as a personal experiment I am going to start this tomorrow. Friday is a fasting day for me, so I will just stretch this to a cleansing total fast on wed and Fri. I will chart my weight loss and see how it goes. ;)

Thank you. Perhaps I will present myself as a study. :)

I'm thinking try for a month and see?

We'll be here for support. :001_smile: It SOUNDS hard, but once you're past the few initial cravings, it's actually real easy because you're eating so well.

I haven't posted yet in this monster because I mostly believe in everything in moderation. It works well here. But...

My fil, whose family has a history of heart disease, had a heart attack before age 40. He has lived the past 35 years now on a low-fat diet due to dr.s orders and has been doing extremely well. So, I don't think LCHF diets are for everyone. My fil is still here and has done the 'outdated' LF diet for years now and it's kept him heart healthy.

Just as a personal experiment I am going to start this tomorrow. Friday is a fasting day for me, so I will just stretch this to a cleansing total fast on wed and Fri. I will chart my weight loss and see how it goes. ;)

:grouphug: Friday is a fast day for me too. I'll be with you in spirit.

Thank you. Perhaps I will present myself as a study. :)

I'm thinking try for a month and see?

Dawn,

Before you try this, think for a moment. How important are those 10 pounds to you. What exactly do you see changing in your life as a result of a 10 pound weight loss. Will it change your relationship with yourself? Will you all of a sudden see yourself as a different person? Remember those with eating disorders that end up at a weight far below healthy, even hiding their skinniness, yet are not satisfied. Consider the experience of many, many persons that weight loss leads to regained weight plus some. Are you prepared for that possibility? Are you prepared to adopt the new eating style forever? Because if you are not, the likelihood of ending up at a new higher weight is very real.

Consider instead accepting your body as it is right now. If you can't do that, what makes you think you will be able to do that with a mere 10 pounds off your frame. Will your face change? Will your fat distribution change? Meaning if you tend to be pear shaped, for example, will that tendency change? What if you end up just as pear shaped, but just a little bit smaller overall? We don't get to choose where we tend to store our fat. It is determined by the genes we inherit.

Dawn, you are a beautiful woman, judging by your picture. Please be careful here.

I have gotten so lost in this thread. Could all those who eat meat neat every day and/or full-fat dairy please post how much weight you lost by switching to this and how long it took. Please also note whether you added any form of exercise.

Sure. I started at 144 pounds and lost 20 pounds in 6 weeks. I've maintained that loss and lost a bit more at a much slower rate. I'm currently about 118 pounds.

I eat protein every day, and most days some type of meat.

pork sausages or bacon in the morning with eggs

grilled chicken in the afternoon with a salad

fish, beef, pork, poultry or seafood at night with dinner

I do LCHF, so I do eat full dairy. I cook with butter and olive oil. I use full fat cheese, milk, and sour cream.

I eat a lot of veggies but little fruit, usually only berries.

I've been running off and on for many years (15?). I'm currently off but I also do yoga 2 times per week.

HTH, Stacy

Stacy,

While it's true the food pyramid is a big factor in the American obesity epedmic of today, it is only part of the problem. It goes hand in hand wiith.............

Years ago, for example, the pioneers were more "physically active". The kids walked everywhere. They helped work the land. Women performed all their chores by hand, ie, washing dishes (no dishwasher), washing clothes (no automatic washer), hanging clothes out to dry (no automatic dryer) and the list goes on. Men hunted for food, plowed the land, etc.

These sound like easy tasks, but I'm sure most would agree with me that iit would be exhausting. It's all they knew so it was routiine for them.

They stood and walked more. They exerted more energy so what they consumed had to have a fair amount of carbs for their daily requirements. They "worked off" more what they consumed.

We carried over the food portion, but sit at computers, and order take-out. Nothing wrong with that - we do too once in a while. It's a combination of factors. We sit and watch tv instead of enjoying a bike ride (with kids) or a walk, etc. We drive in the car and take the elevator. Then, people rode horse which requires muscle use and walked, walked, walked. I parked my car :D further iinto the parking lot the other day...instead of trying to find the closest space. I need to do that consistently and walk the flight of stairs iinstead of the elevator. My dh "always" takes the stairs at work iinstead of the elevator. Yes, the 5 or so flights, sometimes back and forth several times a day. He is 140 lbs. His mother is small and his dad was a good deal oveweight.

The food pyramid is not the whole answer and needs to be re/viewed in light of the lack of "work" (iin any form) being performed by people.

:D

Four years ago, I was ten pounds lighter, and I looked the same, just thinner all over. It's a rather modest goal, really, consider my small frame. I actually looked good at 20 pounds lighter when I was younger, so ten pounds really isn't a huge stretch.

I guess what I mean is, I can never be a person who eats butter on top of butter or sausage every morning, but I am willing to experiment with the idea that not all calories are created equal. I am willing to rid myself of most carbs to see how much truth is in it for me. I did the Atkins years ago, and it was helpful.

I never thought of having coffee without sugar, for example, but I am drinking it right now with just half and half, and it's actually good. Who knew I didn't need it to enjoy coffee?

I also really enjoy being more active as I have been. I love cycling when the weather is nice, I enjoy walking, I just bought some more workout DVDs for variety. Some are simple stretching, one is for the back, one for the knees, there are a few circuit training, and then a bellydancing. LOL I took my first Jazzercise class the other day and had a blast.

Thank you for your kind words.

Dawn,

Before you try this, think for a moment. How important are those 10 pounds to you. What exactly do you see changing in your life as a result of a 10 pound weight loss. Will it change your relationship with yourself? Will you all of a sudden see yourself as a different person? Remember those with eating disorders that end up at a weight far below healthy, even hiding their skinniness, yet are not satisfied. Consider the experience of many, many persons that weight loss leads to regained weight plus some. Are you prepared for that possibility? Are you prepared to adopt the new eating style forever? Because if you are not, the likelihood of ending up at a new higher weight is very real.

Consider instead accepting your body as it is right now. If you can't do that, what makes you think you will be able to do that with a mere 10 pounds off your frame. Will your face change? Will your fat distribution change? Meaning if you tend to be pear shaped, for example, will that tendency change? What if you end up just as pear shaped, but just a little bit smaller overall? We don't get to choose where we tend to store our fat. It is determined by the genes we inherit.

Dawn, you are a beautiful woman, judging by your picture. Please be careful here.

Here's a short vid (28 minutes) on it. He starts talking about it at 2.57 *facepalm* sorry.

Originally Posted by Stacy in NJ viewpost.gif

Focusing on weight makes us lose sight of overall heath. Here's a truth, though. Diets high in carbs and low in fats and protein are bad for your heart regardless of your weight. Thin folks or folks with just a few extra pounds can suffer from conditions relationed to bad triglycerides on low-fat high carb diets.

I am looking for scientific evidence showing the bolded. And by high carb diets I mean whole intact carbs, not fat free twinkies.

Edited by Quiver0f10

I didn't see your question yesterday, Jean.

Here's a link to the diet doctors science page. The provides links to several studies. Scroll down.

This is what I am trying to get my head wrapped around. I know I can lose weight but I want to keep it off for life. I know I need to change my habits, but that is hard for me. I don't know why I struggle with this, but I know until I change I won't be successful no matter which diet I use. It needs to be a lifestyle.

Could you please post a reference for this?

:iagree:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/science

http://preventdisease.com/news/12/030112_World-Renown-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease.shtml

http://www.nxtbook.com/tristar/ada/day3_2012/index.php#/8

I could post clips of doctors saying the opposite. It's so confusing!

He states:

What are the biggest culprits of chronic inflammation? Quite simply, they are the overload of simple, highly processed carbohydrates (sugar, flour and all the products made from them) and the excess consumption of omega-6 vegetable oils like soybean, corn and sunflower that are found in many processed foods

And I agree. But not all carbs are the same and I wish they would compare whole intact unrefined grains when talking about these types of things.

I see people avoiding apples like the plague but filling up on bacon cheeseburgers(minus the bun). I just don't buy that that is healthier.

Edited by Quiver0f10

He states:

What are the biggest culprits of chronic inflammation? Quite simply, they are the overload of simple, highly processed carbohydrates (sugar, flour and all the products made from them) and the excess consumption of omega-6 vegetable oils like soybean, corn and sunflower that are found in many processed foods

And I agree. But not all carbs are the same and I wish they would compare whole intact unrefined grains when talking about these types of things.

I see people avoiding apples like the plague but filling up on bacon cheeseburgers(minus the bun). I just don't buy that that is healthier.

The New Atkins docs would agree with all the above. They do a whole lot to emphasize high fiber vegetables and such. In fact, it's hilarious to go out to amazon and read the reviews of the New Atkins book. It's heresy to old Atkins people, and cutting edge to others. Personally, it matches up with how I already used to eat before I started taking advice about high carbs, so naturally, I like it. ;) But again, I don't think it is for everyone. Though I do think 2 slices of bacon this morning is definitely an idea to be toyed with, esp. if the rest of the day is heavily produce-centric. (On my tombstone, it'll say, "She thought bacon was the fountain of youth! :lol:)

P.S. I don't care for Woody Allen, but Sleeper was a genius movie. It taints my thinking.

Edited by nono

He states:

I don't either.;)

We'll be here for support. :001_smile: It SOUNDS hard, but once you're past the few initial cravings, it's actually real easy because you're eating so well.

Sounds very intriguing...if you say it is easy, maybe I should try too, because I also have ten pounds that I would not mind losing. Unlike other posters here, however, I do not think I can make it happen in two weeks, nor can I pull off the amazing feat of losing three dress sizes in six months because I have not been that small since I was 11 years old.

My biggest obstacle is that I do not like meat. How would you propose to go about a low carb diet for somebody who does not eat meat?

He states:

Hi Jean,

I've been thinking about your post from yesterday (at least my yesterday--I live in Europe) about how confusing it all is and I agree! However, I have found two sources of nutrition info that I value:

Monica Reinagel (aka Nutrition Diva):

Main website: http://nutritionovereasy.com/ which works as a kind of hub of her various articles and podcasts. I like her because she is qualified (master's degree in nutrition science) and she reviews actual studies and not merely the newspaper reporting and THEN intelligently lays out what it might all mean. She has a great nutrition book out available at Amazon:

Nutrition Diva's Secrets for a Healthy Diet: What to Eat, What to Avoid, and What to Stop Worrying About (emphasis mine)

that understands there is NO ONE perfect diet for everybody and she helps you find out what is best for you and your family.

A second website: http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/carbs-and-weight-gain.aspx

This website actually came first and is a compilation of "tips"--what to DO with all the information overload. The most recent blog post talks about the carb-weight gain issue. And once you're on that page, you can click the links on her banner (Healthy Cooking, Weight loss, etc), and you'll get a whole list of former entries. These are also available as podcasts but I always just read them online.

Learning about Low GI foods:

As you correctly state, not all "carbs" are alike. Since the 1980's there has been extensive research into this, originally from the standpoint of how do specific carbs (baked potato, steamed rice, cooked pasta, almonds, etc) affect blood sugar levels (thus diabetes management) and now GI effects on metabolic issues, weight issues, pcos, and more.

There is way too much info for me to do more than a very brief summary, but in a nutshell, some carbs eaten in a meal cause blood sugar to rise slowly, some moderately, some rapidly. Eating a mix of carbs (low GI and high GI) creates a kind of average. Portions still matter (that is known as the Glycemic Load): eating too much of a low GI food can cause a quicker rise in blood sugar levels.

There are several leading research institutes, especially the University of Sydney. You can google search them-they publish a monthly newsletter, but their material is best absorbed through books. I especially like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Glucose-Revolution-Eating-Made/dp/1569243859/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1342706312&sr=1-1&keywords=low+gi+eating+made+easy

Amazon was a great help in my initial studies: I used all the Look Insides and Free Samples for Kindle that were available. Just from that, you'll get a good understanding of carbs and how they react in our bodies. Thus, you'll be empowered to make good choices of your own.

Just so you know, with these basic nutritional foundations, NoS eating habits, and a pedometer, I've lost 50+ pounds and kept it off for 4 years now.... It really is a wonderful lifestyle for me.

I hope these help you navigate the nutritional waters,

Sounds very intriguing...if you say it is easy, maybe I should try too, because I also have ten pounds that I would not mind losing. Unlike other posters here, however, I do not think I can make it happen in two weeks, nor can I pull off the amazing feat of losing three dress sizes in six months because I have not been that small since I was 11 years old.

My biggest obstacle is that I do not like meat. How would you propose to go about a low carb diet for somebody who does not eat meat?

Are you serious? Because I'm detecting a bit of sarcasm in some of your word choices, and I don't know how seriously to take you. I'm fully willing to be very wrong in that assessment.

Honestly I don't think you'd drop 10 pounds in two weeks either. I know I can't even on low carb. Ten pounds is easier to drop in 2 weeks if you need to drop much more. But those last 10 pounds can be stubborn.

There are low carb vegetarians.

I think I lost it because the bread had bloated me, and I think about 5 pounds of that was water weight. And I was no where near PMS time, so I know it wasn't that.

The New Atkins docs would agree with all the above. They do a whole lot to emphasize high fiber vegetables and such.

I agree with this. I follow New Atkins because I find that it's more balanced. Old Atkins just isn't as appealing to me.

If you read DANDR (Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution), there are a ton of veggies you should eat. It's only in Induction where you should keep carbs to <20 and I don't even manage that on most days. I'm not eating fruit at the moment, but just veggies are gonna give you some. But broccoli is not what made me fat. So I'm not to concerned if I go over my carb count eating some extra veggies.

You might want to visit Low Carb Friends and look for the vegetarians there. I know it can be done. I think most people probably think they need a lot more protein than they actually do. If your fat content is high enough you are so satiated that you don't need tons of meat. My dinner was completely meatless (well, I guess I did have a tablespoon of bacon bits) It was a loaded broccoli. Steamed broc, lots of butter, 2oz cheddar, 2tbsp sour cream. It was sooooooooo good. Very filling, and 22 grams of protein even without the bacon bits. If you incorporate some greek yogurt every day, you can easily get enough protein in. Are there any meats you would eat? Tuna salad? Chicken salad? Bacon? Sliced turkey?

I won't post my successes yet, it's not been long enough and now I have TOM for the first time in 4 months that is kicking my tail. I will say I use myfitnesspal and I do keep an eye on my calories. I am one that just can not eat unlimited calories on Atkins and still lose. I have been trying not to go over about 1500-1600 day and it's plenty of food! I am not hungry at all. My portions are small, but I am always full and feel like because I focus on fats and veggies my foods are very luxurious. I also add coconut oil to my coffee or tea and somehow it's filling too. I can have that as a snack just by itself. I don't do any of the weird sweeteners and different types of flours that you find in recipes for low carb foods. I am just doing without cakes and cookies and pies completely. The only thing I will compromise on after induction is low carb tortillas. I actually like them.

If my losses are good I will keep them at this rate, with a day here and there of more and sometimes a lot less, just to keep my metabolism guessing.

Are you serious? Because I'm detecting a bit of sarcasm in some of your word choices, and I don't know how seriously to take you. I'm fully willing to be very wrong in that assessment.

No sarcasm, really... I would have thought it to be very hard, but if you say it is easy, and judging from other posters extremely fast success with this, I am open minded and would give it a shot for a limited time just to see if it works for me. I just can't imagine it really being that fast and easy and painless.

(ETA: I say limited time, because I expect to keep the weight off. When I started pills I rapidly gained 20 lbs, but once I worked and lost them, I managed to keep them off for the next 20 years.)

And I not sarcastic, but merely matter-of-fact about me not possibly being able to lose three dress sizes - I am a size 6-8 and do not have the body structure for a size 2, nor do I aspire to go there... I'd settle for a mere 10 lbs so the dress I got married in is no longer tight around my hips.

So, what would I eat as a low carb vegetarian?

Edited by regentrude

If you incorporate some greek yogurt every day, you can easily get enough protein in. Are there any meats you would eat? Tuna salad? Chicken salad? Bacon? Sliced turkey?

I already eat yoghurt, LOTS of it.

I do eat some chicken, but I can not imagine eating it daily.

I am one that just can not eat unlimited calories on Atkins and still lose. I have been trying not to go over about 1500-1600 day and it's plenty of food! I am not hungry at all.

But I though the whole point was that one did not have to reduce calories but just switch to low carb? At least that's what it sounded like from other posters... confused. If I cut out a third of my calories, sure I'd lose...

But I though the whole point was that one did not have to reduce calories but just switch to low carb?

That is how it has worked for me. Whole time, still at my same rate of ingestion -- 1800-1950/day. But, it's taken me 2 months to go down 10 lbs. Not just 2 weeks! I would have been frightened by 2 weeks, ya know?

Also, I didn't do the Phase I of New Atkins for long --less than 20 net carbs (carb grams - fiber grams = net carbs in their world). Perhaps I would have lost more quickly if I did. But, it's summer, and I like alcohol. :cheers2: 'nuff said there.

I'm about at 40ish net carbs per day, but I'm hoping to still lose this last 10 lbs (which isn't my last 10, but puts me back to where I started when I messed with my natural diet).

Good luck and I hope you end up with similar (or better!) results.

He states:

Some folks who are more than a few pounds overweight or who have yo-yo dieted are possibily insulin resistant. When you're insulin resistant your body will hyper react to carbs by producing large amounts of insulin. It hyper reacts to all carbs whether or not they're complex. That extra insulin makes it really difficult to lose weight - not impossible, just difficult.

It's not that complex carbs are the original source of the problem; they're not. They're only a problem after you've already become insulin resistant. That's why some people and cultures can consume complex carbs in large quantities without weight gain. They've had very little sugar (fructose) in their diet so they've never fallen into insulin resistance.

In a nutshell, sugar is evil. If you've already been exposed to large amounts of sugar and are gaining weight or over weight, you're probably insulin resistant. Taking the sugar out of your diet will help, but it won't result in significant weight loss or the loss of the craving.

ETA: The book to read is:http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-Bad-Controversial-Science/dp/1400033462/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342711999&sr=8-1&keywords=good+calories+bad+calories

Starred Review. Taubes's eye-opening challenge to widely accepted ideas on nutrition and weight loss is as provocative as was his 2001 NewYork Times Magazine article, What if It's All a Big Fat Lie? Taubes (Bad Science), a writer for Science magazine, begins by showing how public health data has been misinterpreted to mark dietary fat and cholesterol as the primary causes of coronary heart disease. Deeper examination, he says, shows that heart disease and other diseases of civilization appear to result from increased consumption of refined carbohydrates: sugar, white flour and white rice. When researcher John Yudkin announced these results in the 1950s, however, he was drowned out by the conventional wisdom. Taubes cites clinical evidence showing that elevated triglyceride levels, rather than high total cholesterol, are associated with increased risk of heart disease-but measuring triglycerides is more difficult than measuring cholesterol. Taubes says that the current U.S. obesity epidemic actually consists of a very small increase in the average body mass index. Taube's arguments are lucid and well supported by lengthy notes and bibliography. His call for dietary advice that is based on rigorous science, not century-old preconceptions about the penalties of gluttony and sloth is bound to be echoed loudly by many readers. Illus. (Oct. 2)

Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Edited by Stacy in NJ

You might like South Beach.

But to give you an idea of what vegetarians eat here is the Atkin's link:

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Overview/Ways-to-Customize-Atkins,-Your-Diet-Plan/Atkins-for-Vegetarian.aspx

Thanks - I see lots of soy, which I do not want in my diet.

I don't want "meat substitutes" because I do not like the taste of meat and do not want to a fake that tries to mimic meat, if that makes sense.

So it looks like nuts and avocadoes... hm...

No sarcasm, really... I would have thought it to be very hard, but if you say it is easy, and judging from other posters extremely fast success with this, I am open minded and would give it a shot for a limited time just to see if it works for me. I just can't imagine it really being that fast and easy and painless.

(ETA: I say limited time, because I expect to keep the weight off. When I started pills I rapidly gained 20 lbs, but once I worked and lost them, I managed to keep them off for the next 20 years.)

And I not sarcastic, but merely matter-of-fact about me not possibly being able to lose three dress sizes - I am a size 6-8 and do not have the body structure for a size 2, nor do I aspire to go there... I'd settle for a mere 10 lbs so the dress I got married in is no longer tight around my hips.

k, I'm sorry, I didn't want to assign you motives. You have just taken such a strong stance in this thread I was a bit wary. :001_smile:

Well, thankfully you're not vegan! :D

You could sauce it up. Add bernaise and hollandaise (a lot) to your veggies. Add cheeses. Make salads and use (homemade?) mayo as a dressing, egg salad, tuna salad. Make yourself eggs florentine and douse on the hollandaise.

Also, the trick, I think, is coconut oil. I use expeller pressed when I don't want the flavor, and virgin when I do. It kicks up your metabolism big time. Add it to your yogurt, use it for your mayo (it solidifies when cool, so if you want it that way keep it in the fridge).

If you like chicken, you may want to try things like a chicken and walnut salad, use sauces for it.

Eat as many nuts as you want. Put heavy cream in your coffee (no half and half!). Here's an idea for your yogurt.

I think because you don't eat a lot of animal protein, you're going to have to full fat stuff, cut out what carbs in the form of breads/sugar you use, and keep your fruits low for now. Because you're not insulin resistant, they probably won't effect you that much after you lose the weight, but for people who are sensitive, they're on the no list.

eta: don't forget your fatty fish! Eat the lobster, which is really cheap this year, with tons of butter. :-) If you can, try and make sure it's wild caught.

Edited by justamouse

If you're interested in reducing carbs and don't want to add meat, you might try just reducing the amount of bread/pasta you currently eat, and increasing the amount of the other things you already eat. Instead of bread/cheese/salad, just have cheese/salad, etc.

When I make Pakistani meals for my family, which consist of curried vegetables and/or meat, plus dal (lentils), plus roti (flatbread), I just skip the roti.

I would think it would be hard to be a low-carb vegan, but if you eat dairy, eggs, or seafood, it would be a lot easier.

I try to approach low-carb not from a viewpoint of what I can't eat but from what I can. Here is the "acceptable food lists" from phase 1 (induction) of the new Atkins program. Net carbs are calculated by subtracting fiber from total carbs. The suggestion is that you consume no more than 20 net carbs per day in induction, then 25-40 in phase one, and so on... Of course there are other ways to eat low-carb, but this is one way with specific instructions and, therefore, helpful and the easiest way to start for many. Here is a carb counter (info on what you should start out with and work up to starts on page 72).

k, I'm sorry, I didn't want to assign you motives. You have just taken such a strong stance in this thread I was a bit wary. :001_smile:

That was about a different issue (exercise not leading to weight loss). I believe that people have lost weight with LCHF.

You could sauce it up. Add bernaise and hollandaise (a lot) to your veggies. Add cheeses. Make salads and use (homemade?) mayo as a dressing, egg salad, tuna salad. Make yourself eggs florentine and douse on the hollandaise.

Also, the trick, I think, is coconut oil. I use expeller pressed when I don't want the flavor, and virgin when I do. It kicks up your metabolism big time. Add it to your yogurt, use it for your mayo (it solidifies when cool, so if you want it that way keep it in the fridge).

If you like chicken, you may want to try things like a chicken and walnut salad, use sauces for it.

Eat as many nuts as you want. Put heavy cream in your coffee (no half and half!). Here's an idea for your yogurt.

Shudder... except for the nuts, I like those. But mayo, coconut, and coffee with cream make me cringe...

Gotta be a MAJOR paradigm shift because my diet is almost entirely carb based. The thought of a fatty breakfast makes me really nauseous; I am not sure I can digest anything high in fat or protein early in the morning and not feel sick.

This is going to be far from easy! this is going to be insanely hard.

If it was just two weeks, maybe...

Edited by regentrude

The old way of thinking illustrated by the food pyramid with grains and carbs as the base of the pyramid is and was wrong and damaging. We should be eating far fewer carbs/grains (whether whole grain or not) and more fat and protein.

I'm a big fan of the "old" food pyramid so I have to disagree. I think the problem is portion related, not the carbs themselves. You can't eat a large sub and whine that you are getting fat because of the bread. Well, you probably just ate the entire "base" of the food pyramid in that one meal. And you still have breakfast, dinner and snacks. After all that, you probably ate 2 or more "bases" of the pyramid in one day. Portions!

I do agree what whole grain is better than white.

Thanks - I see lots of soy, which I do not want in my diet.

I don't want "meat substitutes" because I do not like the taste of meat and do not want to a fake that tries to mimic meat, if that makes sense.

So it looks like nuts and avocadoes... hm...

This is me. Though I am starting to more. I LOVE turkey and fish.

Have you seen Mark's Daily APple website? I really like it. He talks about a typical day's eating for himself, and lots of ideas/recipes. I like it because it's kind of relaxed feeling. And I abide by the 85/15 for everything. 85%, 15% room for play. I wnat to lose 5 pounds so I am being super strict right now.

I personally cannot fry eggs in butter, it tastes a little too rich for me. I like making an omelet for bfast with veggies and fried in coconut oil.

Here's what I ate yesterday:

am, coffee with my homemade coconut creamer - 2 cups, and I use about a half cup creamer in each cup

I wasn't hungry because of the coconut milk, until about 11.

sauted some shredded carrot and zukes since I already had them, a little bell pepper, hot pepper in coconut oil, added the egg and finish like an omelet. I had a few cherries too.

Gym day for me at 3:30, and I don't like to eat beforehand much, at about 3, I ate a spoonful of almond butter and coconut oil mixed together. And a vitamin b for energy.

After the gym I made a protein shake. I use a whey protein just because it works for me, but I sometimes use more nuts or greek yogurt. Added half a banana and blueberries.

Dinner I had a salad with grilled chicken that I had leftover and poured balsamic vinegar over it. I used some cherry tomatoes, some avacado and a sprinkle of walnuts.

I don't know what this amounts to in calories. Its' not super high, not really low either. Definitely not the 1600 calories recommended for my weightloss ;). I think the thing is I just eat few times because I am satisfied. And my energy is great. Trust me, I've slid back in to veg*nism enough times. I always feel wretched. I still eat lentil burgers because I love them.

Sometimes you think of these diets as having steak for bfast. Yuck for me at least.

ETA: i am dairy intolerant, but I can handle some greek yogurt just fine. So, no cheese for me. Unless I have a hunk of pecorino, i can do a teeny bit in a salad.

Edited by 425lisamarie

Gotta be a MAJOR paradigm shift because my diet is almost entirely carb based. The thought of a fatty breakfast makes me really nauseous; I am not sure I can digest anything high in fat or protein early in the morning and not feel sick.

Are you thinking of fatty as greasy? Things swimming in grease? Because that's gross, imo. My favorite low-carb breakfast is a pico de gallo omelette with some shredded cheddar and half an avocado. Now, that is fatty but not greasy. Mmm. I think I need to go make an omelette.

Shudder... except for the nuts, I like those. But mayo, coconut, and coffee with cream make me cringe...

You know, I truly know how you feel. I had such a fat aversion. I thought of it and mentally thought greasy, slimy, oily. I couldn't get past those mental images.

You could always start slow, but you'd have to do it longer.

My first breakfast was very hard. I naturally age very late int he morning, and just some toast and coffee. What I did was I waited until I was starving, and then I had a small potion of full fat yoghurt, and then some scrambled eggs and cheese. Eventually I started being hungry so much earlier that it got easier to eat some eggs.

I hear you :). Could you eat plain yogurt, or some kind of veg/fruit salad (with more veg and less fruit)?

Are you thinking of fatty as greasy? Things swimming in grease?

No. Even things like scrambled eggs are not something I can eat first thing in the morning (the whole cooked breakfast thing)... after eating bread for breakfast for 43 years

ETA: Just remembered an important question: how does a high fat diet work for people who do not have a gallbladder?

I had mine out a few years ago, and while I have no trouble with my present diet, I get sick if I eat fried foods like tempura.

Edited by regentrude

Are you thinking of fatty as greasy? Things swimming in grease? Because that's gross, imo. My favorite low-carb breakfast is a pico de gallo omelette with some shredded cheddar and half an avocado. Now, that is fatty but not greasy. Mmm. I think I need to go make an omelette.

So delicious ......