Menu

More dystopian books for my 11yo?

She loved the Hunger Games trilogy. She adored The Giver trilology. She inhaled Stolen Voices yesterday and asked for more dystopian books. If you know any that are good literature and appropriate for a younger reader (no-s*x and no descriptive violence at least no more than Hunger Games), please help me. I don't think she's old enought to appreciate Fahrenheit 451 since she prefers books with a younger protagonist, but it is my favorite.

Thanks.

The Supernaturalist by Eoin Colfer

In the future, in a place called Satelite City, fourteen-year-old Cosmo Hill enters the world, unwanted by his parents. He's sent to the Clarissa Frayne Institute for Parentally Challenged Boys, Freight class. At Clarissa Frayne, the boys are put to work by the state, testing highly dangerous products. At the end of most days, they are covered with burns, bruises, and sores. Cosmo realizes that if he doesn't escape, he will die at this so-called orphanage. When the moment finally comes, Cosmo seizes his chance and breaks out with the help of the Supernaturalists, a motley crew of kids who all have the same special ability as Cosmo-they can see supernatural Parasites, creatures that feed on the life force of humans. The Supernaturalists patrol the city at night, hunting the Parasites in hopes of saving what's left of humanity in Satellite City. Or so they think. The Supernaturalist soon find themselves caught in a web far more complicated than they'd imagined, when they discover a horrifying secret that will force them to question everything they believe in. Eoin Colfer has created an eerie and captivating world-part Blade Runner, part futuristic Dickens-replete with non-stop action

Has she read Ender's Game? I let dd read it too early and she found it disturbing, but if yours can handle the ones you describe, she should be fine with it.

Anne McCaffrey's series about Menolly (Dragonsinger) has some dystopian elements. They come in later in the series (not the Menolly part) as you discover where the world really is.

How about Alas, Babylon? (Might have too much sx for you.) I don't know that it's really dystopian so much as "this could happen."

In the same vein, has she read Lord of the Flies? Again, not dystopian in the regular sense, but along the same lines. Maybe too much violence for you, but not more than HG.

On a slightly different slant Tamora Pierce's has several different series of books in a fantasy setting that feature young female protagonists who become knights. Honor, loving animals, and typical coming of age themes. I've been enjoying these series as light reading for the summer. :)

I'd start with http://www.amazon.com/Alanna-First-Adventure-Song-Lioness/dp/0689878559/ref=pd_sim_b_20

No sex/language but still assumes the reader is intelligent. :)

Has she read Ender's Game? I let dd read it too early and she found it disturbing, but if yours can handle the ones you describe, she should be fine with it.

Anne McCaffrey's series about Menolly (Dragonsinger) has some dystopian elements. They come in later in the series (not the Menolly part) as you discover where the world really is.

How about Alas, Babylon? (Might have too much sx for you.) I don't know that it's really dystopian so much as "this could happen."

In the same vein, has she read Lord of the Flies? Again, not dystopian in the regular sense, but along the same lines. Maybe too much violence for you, but not more than HG.

I had thought Ender's Game and Lord of the Flies might be too much, but you're right. They probably aren't any worse than the ones she loves. Alas, Babylon has much more s*x than I'm comfortable with for her.

1984 will likely cure her of the dystopian phase. But it's probably not PG.

I kind of hate the latest fad of dystopian novels for young adults. The few I've read have been kind of, well, not that great. They depend on the philosophy that writing about bad things is so deep that every kid would be enlightened by reading them, even if the writing is so-so and they don't make much sense. So now that I've rained on that parade, I'll go crawl away.

(My kids didn't much care for them either, by the way. They just went to see The Hunger Games. Pretty much hated it from start to finish. I hear the best thing about it was the sound design and the popcorn. I warned them. If they couldn't get through The Giver without throwing it against a wall, they weren't exactly going to like The Hunger Games.)

The Dark Is Rising series is nice and grim and WONDERFUL and very appropriate for this age.

Lucifer's Hammer is an old dystopian novel that should be pretty readable by an 11yo.

Oh - I enjoyed that series - thanks. And I already have Lucifer's Hammer on my kindle for me to read.

Thanks, but I'm not looking to cure her, and I'm saving 1984 for when she's older. She goes through periods when she devours everything she can find of a certain type. I didn't discourage her classic orphan girl phase, English history phase, or her biology and natural history phase. I let her free choice reading be free choice as long as it is reasonable appropriate material.

The Dark Is Rising series is nice and grim and WONDERFUL and very appropriate for this age.

Lucifer's Hammer is an old dystopian novel that should be pretty readable by an 11yo.

:iagree:Susan Cooper is a marvelous writer. Anytime we talk about setting in literature and making your reader "see" what is going on, we talk about Cooper.

A family member is reading "The Roar" to her 8 and 9 year old kids. She is really enjoying it.

It sounds like it might line up with your daughter's taste.

http://www.amazon.com/Roar-Emma-Clayton/dp/0439927854/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1341850816&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Roar

Mika lives in future London, behind The Wall: Solid concrete topped with high-voltage razor wire and guarded by a battalion of Ghengis Borgs, it was built to keep out the animals, because animals carry the plague.

Or so Mika's been told.

But ever since Ellie vanished a year ago, Mika's suspected his world may be built on secrets--and lies. When a mysterious organization starts recruiting mutant kids to compete in violent virtual reality games, Mika takes the chance to search for his twin sister--and the truth.

We enjoyed Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni's Brotherhood of the Conch trilogy. It doesn't get really dystopian until the third book, but the first two are compelling, as well.

One element I really like about these books is that while the protagonists are clever and capable kids, adults (at least some) are still presented as wise and able to provide guidance.

Where is the smilie for, "I should have thought of that"? Thanks. These are now on the kindle and waiting for her to finish The Uglies. You guys are great.

I've never read that one. Atlas Shrugged was as much Rand as I could stand. She was interesting in reading it, but I persuaded her to wait. Maybe Anthem will quench her objectivist curiosity, but I will certainly have to read it first. Thanks.

Anthem is super short but I don't think I would have an eleven yer old read Ayn Rand. I tend to be hesitant regarding her because she was so intolerant towards Christianity in particular and religion in general. I intend to wait until dd is older and more able to judge for herself.

I can't believe that the Maze Runner trilogy has not been mentioned. I literally could not put it down...I think I read them cover to cover in one sitting. Way better than the Hunger Games, in my opinion.

Really? I had that in my hands not longer ago, thinking about buying it for dd. I wasn't sure. I will have to pick it up.