Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - week 28

Good Morning, Dolls! Today is the start of week 28 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome back to all our readers, welcome to all those just joining in and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews.

52 Books Blog - Carlos Ruiz Zafon: Highlighting Zafon, author of The Angel's Game and The Shadow of the Wind. His newest book in the Cemetery of Forgotten Books series is being released tuesday July 10 - the Prisoner of Heaven. I read both book and looking forward to reading the newest one. If you like books that are intriguing, interesting dark, full of mysterious and supernatural happenings, obsession and murder, be sure to check them out.

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 27

Finished Elizabeth Lowell's latest murder suspense story Beautiful Sacrifice and Alafair Burke's 212 (#3 in Ellie Hatcher series).

Started reading novella Comedy in a Minor Key by Hans Keilson this morning. One of the books from pick a book by its cover challenges.

"A penetrating study of ordinary people resisting the Nazi occupation—and, true to its title, a dark comedy of wartime manners—Comedy in a Minor Key tells the story of Wim and Marie, a Dutch couple who first hide a Jew they know as Nico, then must dispose of his body when he dies of pneumonia. This novella, first published in 1947 and now translated into English for the first time, shows Hans Keilson at his best: deeply ironic, penetrating, sympathetic, and brilliantly modern, an heir to Joseph Roth and Franz Kafka. In 2008, when Keilson received Germany’s prestigious Welt Literature Prize, the citation praised his work for exploring “the destructive impulse at work in the twentieth century, down to its deepest psychological and spiritual ramifications.”
Then going to continue the theme with Rebecca Cantrell's A Night of Long Knives. Met Cantrell at a writer's conference and once saw the book, just knew I had to read it.

Journalist Hannah Vogel has vowed to never again set foot in her homeland of Germany while the Nazis are still in power. She has good reason: three years ago in 1931, she kidnapped her “son,” Anton, from the man claiming to be his father--Ernst Rohm, head of the Nazis' SA. A powerful man not to be trifled with, Hannah knows that Rohm will never stop searching for them. Hannah is asked to write about a zeppelin journey from South America to Switzerland, but Switzerland turns out to be too close. The zeppelin is diverted to Munich, where Hannah and Anton are kidnapped and, to Hannah's horror, separated.

]It’s unlucky timing for Rohm, however. Hitler has ordered the execution of Rohm and hundreds of his storm troopers and is determined to wipe out any remaining traces of his name. The Night of the Long Knives has begun. When Rohm is killed before Hannah can ascertain Anton’s whereabouts, she desperately enlists all of her remaining sources and friends to locate Anton before the Nazis do. And the Gestapo is closing in…

Edited by Mytwoblessings
brain farting

I'm working my way through Ride the Wind, the historical fiction novel about Cynthia Ann Parker, kidnapped by the Comanche Indians when she was 9. Fascinating insight about their daily life, her marriage to a chief, and later her "recapture" by her white family.

So far it is amazing, but it is epically long and incredibly violent at times :ack2: - in fact, so much so, that if anyone thinks about reading it, I'd recommend skipping the 1st 3 chapters altogether. Here's my summary of chap 1-3 so you won't feel like you're missing anything: Indians attack the Parker fort in TX, LOTS and LOTS of truly horrible and gruesome things are done to the Parkers (and other members of the settlement), Cynthia is taken. There ya go, and you're welcome.

I keep reading this thread every week and forgetting to post...:lol:.

This past week I read:

(46) Left Neglected by Lisa Genova

(47) The Little Women Letters by Gabrielle Donnelly

(48) Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas

I really liked Left Neglected. It was a typical novel, but with such an interesting twist. The main character was in a car accident, and had brain damage. It's a real thing called "left neglect" and was so interesting to read about.

The Little Women Letters was okay. Sacred Marriage was not worth my time.

52 Books Blog - Carlos Ruiz Zafon: Highlighting Zafon, author of The Angel's Game and The Shadow of the Wind. His newest book in the Cemetery of Forgotten Books series is being released tuesday July 10 - the Prisoner of Heaven. I read both book and looking forward to reading the newest one.

I saw his new book being advertised over on Goodreads. I read The Shadow of the Wind, but haven't yet read The Angel's Game. I'll have to read him again sometime -- thanks for the reminder!

I'm reading an alternative-history book (centered around the sinking of the Titanic), The Company of the Dead by David Kowalski. This is a giant tome of a book that's fascinating & intriguing so far. (I'm about 150 pages into the approx. 750 pages of this book.) Love the cover art too.

From Google Books:

"Conspiracies linking events as disparate as the sinking of the Titanic and the assassination of JFK have played themselves out in dark and unforeseen ways. The Cold War between Greater Germany and Imperial Japan is drawing to a close. America, divided and scarred, will be the final battleground in a world distinctly different, yet disturbingly familiar to our own. Six people have the means to avert the apocalypse. Welcome to the secret history of the twentieth century. Winner of the 2008 Golden Aurealis Award and the Aurealis Award for Best Science Fiction Novel."

--------------------------

My Goodreads Page

Completed the Europa Challenge Cappuccino Level (at least 6 Europa books: #s 4, 9, 10, 11, 14, 19, & 21 on my list).

Completed Robin's Read a Russian Author in April Challenge (#24 & #26 on my list).

My rating system: 5 = Love; 4 = Pretty awesome; 3 = Decently good; 2 = Ok; 1 = Don't bother (I shouldn't have any 1s on my list as I would ditch them before finishing)...

2012 Books Read:

Books I read January-June 2012

37. Clutter Busting Your Life by Brooks Palmer (3 stars)

38. The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje (5 stars)

39. The Colors of Infamy by Albert Cossery (3 stars)

40. Osa and Martin: For the Love of Adventure by Kelly Enright (3 stars)

Edited by Stacia

This week I read a fair bit of The Great Gatsby. I was getting into it, but did my usual peeking at the end about 1/3 of the way through it (even though I read it years ago in high school, because I'd totally forgotten virtually all of it as it didn't leave much of an impression, apparently). The writing is good, but I can't bring myself to read the story. I was getting a bit miffed with it during the chapter where Daisy & Gatsby meet again for the first time, so peeked ahead. Aaaaargh!!!!! I really wanted to like this book even though I don't remember liking or disliking it in high school, but it's so destructive to so many people.

I read Midwife's Apprentice...oh ages ago..when it came out? so I'm not completely confident in my ability to compare...but with that said I felt they were similar. Snarky teen girl? Check. Struggling through some historical time period? Check. Independence issues? Check. Parent issues? Check. Historical diseases/death? Check.

It was decent.

Thanks. In other words, not so great I want to go out of my way to put a hold on it for dd. Midwife's Apprentice was decent but not stellar, but it's an interesting time period.

It's not a spoof, but the book is humorous. It's a celebration of the romance genre with discussion of what we can learn from such books. It's definitely written for adult readers.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks so much for letting me know; I think I'll pass. I'd love a good spoof on the romance genre. I love romance movies & romantic comedy (not all of them, of course) but somehow can't get into the genre. I did really like The Republic of Love which is a romance, but it's also a literary novel by Carol Shields, just not as heavy and sad as many of her novels. I read 2 of her novels, but the other one was written when Shields had cancer so was sad.

:smilielol5: This is why I *love* this thread -- brutally honest reviews! :D

:001_smile: Same here.

Edited by Karin

Finished this week:

50.) Edna St. Vincent Millay: Selected Poems - Amazing poetry and some other work too - a play, some translations... Lots of Italian sonnets. Here's my favorite poem from the book

If I should learn, in some quite casual way,

That you were gone, not to return again -

Read from the back-page of a paper, say,

Held by a neighbor in a subway train,

How at the corner of this avenue

And such a street (so are the papers filled)

A hurrying man, who happened to be you,

At noon today had happened to be killed -

I should not cry aloud - I could not cry

Aloud, or wring my hands in such a place -

I should but watch the station lights rush by

With a more careful interest on my face;

Or raise my eyes and read with greater care

Where to store furs and how to treat the hair.

Also, 51.) Howl: A Graphic Novel - by Allen Ginsberg and Eric Drooker

First published in 1956, Allen Ginsberg's "Howl" is a prophetic masterpiece--an epic raging against dehumanizing society that overcame censorship trials and obscenity charges to become one of the most widely read poems of the century.  

Now a major motion picture, starring James Franco, Howl was directed by two-time Academy Award-winners Rob Epstein & Jeffrey Friedman, who hired Eric Drooker to animate the poem. Howl: A Graphic Novel visualizes the poem--stanza by stanza--with full color animation art Drooker designed for the film.

The poem/graphic novel was amazing. If I really wanted to completely get it I suppose I'd have to research the many allusions, but even without that, it was intense.

And, even though I'm (arbitrarily?) not counting this one, I want to sing the praises of Serenity: Those Left Behind by Joss Whedon - It is volume 1 of three and is just like watching the TV show. Fantastic!

This week I read-

#46 Parenting Teens with Love and Logic There were some ideas in here that I hope will be useful as I go through the teen-age years with my next two kids. I rate this book o.k.

Read-aloud

#15 Streams to the River, River to the Sea by Scott O'Dell. This was Sacagawea's story of her journey with Lewis and Clark. I found it a little tedious, but my kids seemed to like it.

This week I finished:

#34 - Mother, by Kathleen Norris. Very nicely written. Uplifts motherhood almost to a sacrosanct level. In today's society, this book would spawn heated debate! Heart-stirring and inspiring to some while infuriating to others. Still, I'm glad I read it. Unedited, it wasn't preachy, was amazingly relevant to current issues (though originally written in 1911), and an overall encouragement to those who may need it, and a trigger for battle to those needing to fight tradition. :001_smile:

#35 - Honeyball Farm, by Ethel M. Dell. An old book from a neighbor who just *loves* this author. Admittedly, it sat on my stack for quite awhile, being finally selected only because of the power outage and the library being closed. Glad I read it, though. It read very quickly and had several unexpected twists. There were a few places where women were completely denigrated (mostly in word, once in deed, in keeping with the character doing the speaking or acting); it infuriated me!:glare: I suspect that, in 1937 when this was originally published, it would have been considered a *dime novel*.:D Of course, dime novels of that day do not compare with dime novels of today!

Currently reading:

#36 - Outwitting History: The Amazing Adventures of a Man Who Rescued a Million Yiddish Books, by Aaron Lansky. Just started this late last night and I can already say a hearty Thank You to those on this board who recommended it! It is quickly absorbing, both funny and sad, inspiring, compelling. A hard-to-put-down book, a page-turner. I am eager to return to it today, and might even finish it today!

This week I finished:

#34 - Mother, by Kathleen Norris. Very nicely written. Uplifts motherhood almost to a sacrosanct level. In today's society, this book would spawn heated debate! Heart-stirring and inspiring to some while infuriating to others. Still, I'm glad I read it. Unedited, it wasn't preachy, was amazingly relevant to current issues (though originally written in 1911), and an overall encouragement to those who may need it, and a trigger for battle to those needing to fight tradition. :001_smile:

Sounds interesting - sticking that on my to-read list.

I'm heading into week 3 of jury duty, and have been pleasantly surprised at how much reading I get done during our daily breaks.

During my commute to and from the courthouse I'm listening to a YA book, The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud. It is the first book in the Bartimaeus trilogy, my son's all time favorite series, and I've got to say with the exception of the protagonist being a 12 year old boy, it doesn't feel like a young adult book. The writing is rich, the humor wry, the characters interesting, the plot full of unexpected twists. My ds is thrilled that I love it! I definitely recommend it, and would add not to be put off that the 12 year old is a magician's apprentice -- it is nothing like Harry Potter.

I read a bit of fluff the first week of trial, For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund. Stupid title, but fun book. It is a dystopian version of Persuasion, though the author is certainly no Jane Austen!

Last week I read a freebie I found on the kindle site, The Red House Mystery by, get this, A.A. Milne!! It is a delightful British mystery, though the characters aren't quite as distinct as those in a Dorothy Sayers mystery. Definitely a pleasure to read.

Comic-con starts Thursday, though with jury duty I may not make it til Saturday. I have discovered some interesting authors there in years past such as Patrick Rothfuss and China Mieville, and hope to make it to a few sci-fi/fantasy panels this year to see who else I might enjoy reading. I am most looking forward to seeing Will Wheaton (you Trekkies know who he is) interviewing John Scalzi, a humorous sci-fi author whose recent book, Red Shirts, I recommended a few weeks ago.

Frederica by Georgette Heyer - this was a reread for me and is one of my favorite GH novels.

C'est la Vie by Suzy Gershman - memoir of the "Born to Shop" lady. Her husband passes away and she decides to move to France and start over. This was interesting but was filled with LOTS of name dropping and I felt that Ms.Gershman came out of it seeming shallow. It was ok.

I'm in the middle of Bringing Up Bebe and liking it so far.

I'm working my way through Ride the Wind, the historical fiction novel about Cynthia Ann Parker, kidnapped by the Comanche Indians when she was 9. Fascinating insight about their daily life, her marriage to a chief, and later her "recapture" by her white family.

So far it is amazing, but it is epically long and incredibly violent at times :ack2: - in fact, so much so, that if anyone thinks about reading it, I'd recommend skipping the 1st 3 chapters altogether. Here's my summary of chap 1-3 so you won't feel like you're missing anything: Indians attack the Parker fort in TX, LOTS and LOTS of truly horrible and gruesome things are done to the Parkers (and other members of the settlement), Cynthia is taken. There ya go, and you're welcome.

Interesting! I used to teach college-level ESL, and we read a YA book called Where the Broken Heart Still Beats in my advanced reading classes. It's another fictionalized account of Cynthia Ann Parker. I remember there was violence at the beginning, but nothing too gruesome. My students always found it very interesting.

I'm reading Freeing Your Child from Anxiety--can someone free me from anxiety? :lol: I'm also still dipping into Tom Jones once in a while, and listening to Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks.

I am not quite in the book a week club but I just finished a very good book.

Running Barefoot by Amy Harmon http://www.amazon.com/Running-Barefoot-Amy-Sutorius-Harmon/dp/1475043740

It is a well told story about the friendship between a lonely girl and an angry Native American teen that covers the span of over 10 years. I loved the respect shown the Native American culture and the struggles of a "half breed" to fit in in either world.

The book is also virtually free of any offensive language/scenes/situations, etc. so would be fine for teens to read as well.

Completed:

:party: Wahoo! I finished it!

Book #39 - "Don Quixote" by Miguel de Cervantes. Translated by John Ormsby. This is the free Kindle version. I liked the translation. It was nice to be reading it on the Kindle for the quick look-up of armor terms and the various Spanish household servants.

I thought this was going to be a relatively quick reread, but now I'm thinking that what we read in college was an abridgment.

Book #38 - "Organizing Solutions for People with Attention Deficit Disorder" by Susan C. Pinsky.

Book #37 - "Growing Up: A Classic American Childhood" by Marilyn vos Savant.

Book #36 -"A Young People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn.

Book #35 - "Organizing the Disorganized Child: Simple Strategies to Succeed in School" by Martin L. Kutscher & Marcella Moran.

Book #34 - "Turn Right at Machu Picchu" by Mark Adams.

Book #33 - "The Lightening Thief" by Rick Riordan.

Book #32 - "Thunder Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog, And the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero" by Michael Hingson.

Book #31 - "America's Hidden History" by Kenneth C. Davis.

Book #30 - "The Diamond of Darkhold†by Jeanne DuPrau.

Book #29 - "The People of Sparks†by Jeanne DuPrau.

Book #28 - "Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins.

Book #27 - "Well-Educated Mind" by Susan Wise Bauer.

Book #26 - "The Prophet of Yonwood" by Jeanne Duprau.

Book #25 - "City of Ember" by Jeanne Duprau.

Book #24 - "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch.

Book #23 - "Who Moved My Cheese" by Spencer Johnson.

Book #22 - "Deconstructing Penguins" by Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone.

Book #21 - "Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelli.

Book #20 - "Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins.

Book #19 - "Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins.

Book #18 - "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer.

Book #17 - "Frozen Assets: Cook for a Day, Eat for a Month" by Deborah Taylor-Hough.

Book #16 - "Miserly Moms: Living Well on Less in a Tough Economy" by Jonni McCoy.

Book #15 - "The Highly Sensitive Person" by Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D.

Book #14 - "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain.

Book #13 - "Chasing Vermeer" by Blue Balliett.

Book #12 - "The Highly Sensitive Person" by Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D.

Book #11 - "Extraordinary, Ordinary People" by Condoleezza Rice.

Book #10 - "The Pig in the Pantry" by Rose Godfrey.

Book #9 - "The Virgin in the Ice" by Ellis Peters.

Book #8 - "The Leper of St. Giles" by Ellis Peters.

Book #7 - "St. Peter's Fair" by Ellis Peters.

Book #6 - "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" by Amy Chua.

Book #5 - "Monk's Hood" by Ellis Peters.

Book #4 - "Flash and Bones" by Kathy Reichs.

Book #3 - "Spider Bones" by Kathy Reichs.

Book #2 - "One Corpse Too Many" by Ellis Peters.

Book #1 - "A Morbid Taste for Bones" by Ellis Peters

During my commute to and from the courthouse I'm listening to a YA book, The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud. It is the first book in the Bartimaeus trilogy, my son's all time favorite series, and I've got to say with the exception of the protagonist being a 12 year old boy, it doesn't feel like a young adult book. The writing is rich, the humor wry, the characters interesting, the plot full of unexpected twists. My ds is thrilled that I love it! I definitely recommend it, and would add not to be put off that the 12 year old is a magician's apprentice -- it is nothing like Harry Potter.

Indeed our sons are brothers in spirit! I can't say if Bartimaeus is my guy's favorite series, but certainly one of them. By the way, the trilogy has a prequel now.

I have escaped the heat by reading some light weight mysteries. At the library I found a series by Lea Wait featuring detective Maggie Summer who specializes in antique prints. The first is entitled Shadows at the Fair (#31 for me this year). Meh.

So back to tried and true. I love the Caroline Graham mysteries featuring Inspector Barnaby (dramatized as the Midsomer Mysteries)! A Place of Safety marks #32 for me.

And I am reading Silent Spring as the book marks its 50th anniversary.

Currently reading:

#36 - Outwitting History: The Amazing Adventures of a Man Who Rescued a Million Yiddish Books, by Aaron Lansky. Just started this late last night and I can already say a hearty Thank You to those on this board who recommended it! It is quickly absorbing, both funny and sad, inspiring, compelling. A hard-to-put-down book, a page-turner. I am eager to return to it today, and might even finish it today!

I'm so glad you're enjoying it! :001_smile:

I read The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor, very interesting tale based on Alice in Wonderland, on to book two of six, Seeing Redd.

Jennifer Lynne Barnes, Raised by Wolves and Trial by Fire, interesting take on the whole genre and clean for a change so my teen can read it.

Enslaved by Ducks by Bob Tarte, which would have been pure comic genius in the hands of a slightly better writer but I did love it and I look forward to more. Who could resist the title?

Never mind that it is the sort of book I will someday end up writing myself, it follows in the tradition and vein of Michael Perry's, Coop and I highly encourage you to read it.

Completed:

Book #40 - "The Fallacy Detective" by Nathaniel Bluedorn and Hans Bluedorn. Previewing this, knowing my rising 4th grader will be Logic stage soon. This could work for us. I was concerned it might be "too" Christian and would take too much tweaking, but I didn't find anything that I'd need to tweak. It was not completely free of all religious content, but the things that were in there were generic (not pointed at any particular faith) and illustrated the given fallacy well.

Book #39 - "Don Quixote" by Miguel de Cervantes. Translated by John Ormsby.

Book #38 - "Organizing Solutions for People with Attention Deficit Disorder" by Susan C. Pinsky.

Book #37 - "Growing Up: A Classic American Childhood" by Marilyn vos Savant.

Book #36 -"A Young People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn.

Book #35 - "Organizing the Disorganized Child: Simple Strategies to Succeed in School" by Martin L. Kutscher & Marcella Moran.

Book #34 - "Turn Right at Machu Picchu" by Mark Adams.

Book #33 - "The Lightening Thief" by Rick Riordan.

Book #32 - "Thunder Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog, And the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero" by Michael Hingson.

Book #31 - "America's Hidden History" by Kenneth C. Davis.

Book #30 - "The Diamond of Darkhold†by Jeanne DuPrau.

Book #29 - "The People of Sparks†by Jeanne DuPrau.

Book #28 - "Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins.

Book #27 - "Well-Educated Mind" by Susan Wise Bauer.

Book #26 - "The Prophet of Yonwood" by Jeanne Duprau.

Book #25 - "City of Ember" by Jeanne Duprau.

Book #24 - "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch.

Book #23 - "Who Moved My Cheese" by Spencer Johnson.

Book #22 - "Deconstructing Penguins" by Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone.

Book #21 - "Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelli.

Book #20 - "Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins.

Book #19 - "Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins.

Book #18 - "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer.

Book #17 - "Frozen Assets: Cook for a Day, Eat for a Month" by Deborah Taylor-Hough.

Book #16 - "Miserly Moms: Living Well on Less in a Tough Economy" by Jonni McCoy.

Book #15 - "The Highly Sensitive Person" by Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D.

Book #14 - "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain.

Book #13 - "Chasing Vermeer" by Blue Balliett.

Book #12 - "The Highly Sensitive Person" by Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D.

Book #11 - "Extraordinary, Ordinary People" by Condoleezza Rice.

Book #10 - "The Pig in the Pantry" by Rose Godfrey.

Book #9 - "The Virgin in the Ice" by Ellis Peters.

Book #8 - "The Leper of St. Giles" by Ellis Peters.

Book #7 - "St. Peter's Fair" by Ellis Peters.

Book #6 - "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" by Amy Chua.

Book #5 - "Monk's Hood" by Ellis Peters.

Book #4 - "Flash and Bones" by Kathy Reichs.

Book #3 - "Spider Bones" by Kathy Reichs.

Book #2 - "One Corpse Too Many" by Ellis Peters.

Book #1 - "A Morbid Taste for Bones" by Ellis Peters

Completed:

Book #39 - "Don Quixote" by Miguel de Cervantes. Translated by John Ormsby. This is the free Kindle version. I liked the translation. It was nice to be reading it on the Kindle for the quick look-up of armor terms and the various Spanish household servants.

Wahoo! Feels so good to finish a book like that, doesn't it. I was relieved when finished but glad decided to read it.

Completed:

Congrats! Well done.

Oh, and thanks for your review of Fallacy Detective. I'll be previewing it as well.

Finished two more, both pre-reads for my dd:

#27 Dandelion Fire by N. D. Wilson - liked it better than 100 Cupboards, but I think I need a break before finishing the series. :tongue_smilie:

#28 Black Radishes - the story of a Jewish boy and his family in France during WWII (fictional, but some parts were based on what happened to the author's father). It's quite well-written and interesting, but I'm glad I pre-read it, because there's definitely things we'll need to discuss!

Edited by ariasmommy

I'm heading into week 3 of jury duty, and have been pleasantly surprised at how much reading I get done during our daily breaks.

Wow, I hadn't realized that jury duty is a good time to get reading done during the breaks. So far, I've never served on jury duty. I was never called for it when I lived in Canada (& yes, I was registered to vote), but was called within months of becoming a US citizen, but had a tiny baby so deferred it. So far I've either not had to show up, or I was excused ahead of time due to former special needs needs with young dc. I am have a deferred date later this year, but am still not sure if I'll be able to serve if I have to go as I still can't leave all 3 dc alone together much even at their ages.

Ironically, I really, really wanted to serve on jury duty when I was single as I think it would be interesting.

And I am reading Silent Spring as the book marks its 50th anniversary.

I hadn't stopped to realize that it's been 50 years already, and yet there are still dangerous pesticides & herbicides being used even if DDT is banned here:glare:.

I hadn't stopped to realize that it's been 50 years already, and yet there are still dangerous pesticides & herbicides being used even if DDT is banned here:glare:.

I read bits of Breasts and it talks about all the bad stuff in our bodies from pollution. Horrifying. I had to put the book back and leave the store, but I plan on reading the whole book.

#24 Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (from my daughter's bookshelf )

I love his stuff and his writing style.

Frederica by Georgette Heyer - this was a reread for me and is one of my favorite GH novels.

That was my first Georgetter Heyer novel and I've been hooked ever since. I wonder if it was you that first suggested it.

68. The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall~children's fiction, sisters, adventure. I was completely charmed by this novel about 4 very different sisters aged 4-12 and their widowed botanist father. Oh the adventures with Hound and Jeffrey. Read it in one day. *

67. The Intrigue at Highbury by Carrie Bebris~Jane Austen, mystery, Mr. & Mrs. Darcy. Another Mr. and Mrs. Darcy mystery. This one brings them into connection with Emma Knightley and her husband. There's a bit more of Emma's stamp on this one then there has been in the previous books. Some of the chapters are told from her point of view and matchmaking is one of the side focus of the novel.

66. Heirloom Baking with the Brass Sisters by Marilynn Brass and Sheila Brass~cookbook, 20th century, collecting recipes. I found this at Goodwill and have been enjoying the idea of 'found' recipes (recipes found on cards tucked in old cookbooks or written on the fly sheets). The Brass sisters collected some family ones, ones from the East, South, Midwest, and even some Canadian ones. Mrs. Charles Barker's Blue Ribbon Blueberry Cake was quite good. Also included was a short paragraph on where the recipe came from or who its attributed to. Some historical information about oven temperatures and measurements over the years. Most recipes between 1890s and 1970s.

65. The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy~fiction, southern gothic, coming of age, abusive family. One of my guilty pleasures. I hate books where the author uses the worst things he can think of as the conflict. Usually it seems too unrealistic. This book is like that x10. Seriously. They own a tiger for goodness' sake. :lol: The main character's wife is unfaithful to him and he's unfaithful to her while trying to win her back. I usually turn my nose up to this kind of stuff but the love of words completely infuses this book. Its wildly, adoringly overdone, and often mediocre, but the love of words just flows through and despite all odds it makes me see it as an Arabian Nights tale of a dysfunctional family in the South Carolina lowlands.

64. The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte by Syrie James~fiction, Charlotte Bronte, biography, journal.

63. The Ballad of Lucy Whipple by Karen Cushman~youth fiction, California, Gold Rush.

61. The Poisoner's Handbook by Deborah Blum~non-fiction, forensic science, chemistry, New York, Prohibition. *

60. Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons~parody, farm family/life, '30s.

59. The Green Mile by Stephen King~supernatural, prison, 1930s. *

58. The Sacred Journey by Frederick Buechner~religious, memoir, childhood.

57. Wisconsin Gardens & Landscapes by Mary Lou Santovec~public gardens, Wisconsin.

56. Sarabeth's Bakery by Sarabeth Levine~cookbook, baking, pastries.

55. Essential Pleasures edited by Robert Pinsky~poetry, compilation, audio CD included.

54. Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home by Jeni Britton Bauer~cookbook, ice cream

53. The Sea Gull by Anton Chekhov~Russian, play.

52. A few hundred pages of Hyperion and all of Farewell to Hyperion by Dan Simmons~science fiction, future worlds, pilgrim tales.

51. North by Northanger by Carrie Bebis~Jane Austen, mystery

50. The Essential Garden Design Workbook by Rosemary Alexander~non-fiction, gardening, landscape design.

49. The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt: a Novel in Pictures by Caroline Preston~fiction, '20s, NY, Paris, coming of age.

48. Q: a Novel by Evan Mandery~fiction, quirky, time travel.

47. The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi~memoir, Italy, criminal case, serial killer.

46. Food Chaining by Fracker~non-fiction, food issues, picky eaters.

45. The Long Retreat by Andrew Krivak~memoir, Jesuit.

44. Exploring Garden Style by Tauton Press~non-fiction, gardening, design.

43. Homeschooling Children with ADD (and Other Special Needs) by Lenore Hayles~non-fiction, education, medical issues.

42. Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafrisi~non-fiction, memoir, Iran, literature.

41. Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris~fiction, France, WWII, food. *

40. Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller~memoir, stories, Christianity.

39. Just Take a Bite! by Lori Ernsberger~non-fiction, food issues, special needs.

38. Suspense and Sensibility by Carrie Bebris~Jane Austen, Mystery.

37. Pride and Prescience by Carrie Bebris~Jane Austen, Darcys, Mystery, supernatural.

36. Superfudge by Judy Blume~fiction, classic children's book.

35. The Explosive Child by Ross Greene~non-fiction, behavior, children

34. Cyteen 2: The Rebirth by CJ Cherryh~science fiction, cloning.

33. The Peace War by Vernor Vinge~science fiction, future, technology.

32. Whiskey Breakfast by Richard Lindberg~memoir, Swedish Immigration, Chicago.

31. Corvus: a Life with Birds by Esther Woolfson~non-fiction, birds.

30. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen~classic literature.

29. Cyteen: The Betrayal by CJ Cherryh~science fiction, future, space, cloning.

28. Divergent by Veronica Roth~youth fiction, dystopian.

27. The Help by Kathryn Stockett~fiction, '60s, race relations.

26. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs~youth, fiction.

25. Below Stairs: the Classic Kitchen Maid Memoir by Margaret Powell~non-fiction, memoir.

24. Ender in Exile by Orson Scott Card~fiction.

23. Uncle Tungsten: Memories of a Chemical Boyhood by Oliver Sacks~non-fiction, memoir.

22. The Garden Book of Wisconsin by Melinda Myers~non-fiction, gardening, flowers and landscaping.

21. Putting Down Roots: Gardening Insights from Wisconsin's Early Settlers by Marcia Carmichael~non-fiction, history, gardening.

20. Gudrun's Kitchen: Recipes from a Norwegian Family by Irene and Edward Sandvold~cookbook, biography.

19. Twelve Owls by Laura Erickson~non-fiction, birds.

18. A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell~fiction, WWII **

17. A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge~science fiction, space

16. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card~classic science fiction, read aloud.

15. Flour by Joanne Chung~cookbook, baking

14. Home to Woefield by Susan Juby~light fiction, humorous

13. Making the Most of Shade by Larry Hodgson~non-fiction/gardening

12. Growing Perennials in Cold Climates by Mike Heger~non-fiction/gardening

11. Case Histories by Kate Atkinson~mystery

10. Letters from Yellowstone by Diane Smith~historical fiction

9. The Circus in Winter by Cathy Day~fiction

8. The Alphabet in the Park by Adelia Prado~poetry

7. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman~non-fiction/medical

6. One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus~speculative fiction

5. The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Hidden Gallery by Maryrose Woods~juvenile

4. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Jester~(read aloud) juvenile

3. The Alienist by Caleb Carr~Mystery

2. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton~Fiction

1. The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt~Fiction

Working on:

Blood Meridian (McCarthy)

Temple of the Golden Pavilion (Mishima)

Moby Dick (Melville)

Cutting for Stone

Quiet

*~top 5 books of the year (so far)

**~best book of the year (so far)

68. The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall~children's fiction, sisters, adventure. I was completely charmed by this novel about 4 very different sisters aged 4-12 and their widowed botanist father. Oh the adventures with Hound and Jeffrey. Read it in one day. *

That is one of DD favorite books. She's listened to it and the sequels at least a dozen times. I feel like I know the story just because I've overheard her listening to it so many times.

67. The Intrigue at Highbury by Carrie Bebris~Jane Austen, mystery, Mr. & Mrs. Darcy. Another Mr. and Mrs. Darcy mystery. This one brings them into connection with Emma Knightley and her husband. There's a bit more of Emma's stamp on this one then there has been in the previous books. Some of the chapters are told from her point of view and matchmaking is one of the side focus of the novel.

I've got one of Carrie Bebris's mysteries on my to-read shelf but I haven't read all of the Jane Austen books. Should I hold off on reading these until I've finished all the Jane Austen books? So far I've read P&P and am working on Emma.

I picked up The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley based on recommendations here and thought it was so good. I like Flavia and thought the mystery was well done. The sisters seemed one dimensional so I hope that is done better in the next book but that was my only complaint. I love this place. You gals keep me up to my ears in good book! :grouphug:

In progress:

Stein on Writing by Sol Stein

Order from Chaos by Liz Davenport

Supermarket by Satoshi Azuchi (for book club)

Calico Bush by Rachel Field (read aloud)

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome (audiobook)

2012 finished books:

80. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (****)

79. 4:50 From Paddington by Agatha Christie (***)

78. Hark! A Vagrant by Kate Beaton (****)

77. 84, Charing Cross by Helene Hanff (****)

76. The Unknown Ajax by Georgette Heyer (****)

75. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore (***)

74. An Unsuitable Job for a Woman by PD James (***)

73. Behind the Bedroom Wall by Laura Williams (***)

72. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (****)

71. The Fellowship of the Ring by JRR Tolkien (****)

70. The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien (**)

69. The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald (****)

68. The School Story by Andrew Clement - read aloud (****)

67. The Great Brain by John D. Fitzgerald (*)

66. Free-Range Kids by Lenore Skenazy (***)

65. Red Sails to Capri by Ann Weil -read aloud (***)

64. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglass Adams (*****)

63. Death of a Cad by MC Beaton (**)

62. Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (***)

61. The Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs (***)

60. A Pocket Full of Rye by Agatha Christie (***)

59. The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence) by Agatha Christie (****)

58. Tales of Robin Hood by Tony Allan - read aloud (****)

57. Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace (*****)

56. The Beekeepers Apprentice by Laurie R. King (****)

55. Death of a Gossip by MC Beaton (***)

54. The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett (**)

53. On Writing by Stephen King (*****)

52. Maus by Art Spiegelman (****)

51. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (***)

50. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins (****)

49. The Night Bookmobile by Audrey Niffinegger (*)

48. Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson (***)

47. Casino Royale - James Bond by Ian Fleming (**)

46. A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson - Audiobook (***)

45. The Lucky Shopping Manual by Kim Lenitt (*****)

44. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (****)

43. Half Moon Investigations by Eoin Colfer - Audiobook (****)

42. Half Magic by Edward Eager (***)

41. Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wrede - Read Aloud (****)

Books 1 - 40

Amy's Rating System:

***** - Fantastic, couldn't put it down

**** - Very good

*** - Enjoyable but nothing special

** - Not recommended

* - Horrible

That is one of DD favorite books. She's listened to it and the sequels at least a dozen times. I feel like I know the story just because I've overheard her listening to it so many times.

I've got one of Carrie Bebris's mysteries on my to-read shelf but I haven't read all of the Jane Austen books. Should I hold off on reading these until I've finished all the Jane Austen books? So far I've read P&P and am working on Emma.

I haven't read anything of Austen's other than P&P since I was 24...a good 15 years ago. I can't remember anything other than the faintest plot formulations, certainly none of the character names. These books can be enjoyed without any of that, but they do sometimes make me want to read them again.

I should go read more Penderwicks! Hurrah! Do the others hold up to the first, do you think?

Just started The Book Thief on audiobook read by Allan Corduney. What a fantastic edition. I've promised myself that I will only listen while on the treadmill so I may get in quite the workout this week. :) I'm only only on the first cd but I'm captivated by the writing.

I haven't read anything of Austen's other than P&P since I was 24...a good 15 years ago. I can't remember anything other than the faintest plot formulations, certainly none of the character names. These books can be enjoyed without any of that, but they do sometimes make me want to read them again.

I should go read more Penderwicks! Hurrah! Do the others hold up to the first, do you think?

I think the first is the absolute best but you'll still enjoy the others because you "know" the people in them. All the books are favorites in our house.

I finished book #28 today, Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings. I forgot how short it is because it is in my old, falling apart, book-club edition of the first three books of The Belgariad :D These are some of my favorite literary characters...ever!

Sure, you could read them without finishing Austen's books. Do you already know how all of them end? If you don't, you wouldn't want to spoil it. However, I think it adds "more" to the story if you wait till you finish the originals. I really have enjoyed "the rest of the story," so to speak. Watching Elizabeth and Darcy meet and interact with other characters has been one of my favorite parts of the series. So my vote would be to wait ;)

I just finished The Night Circus...:001_wub: I need to go to bed now, so I am not going to write a lot right now, but I do believe that is one of my favorite books, ever. (Happy) sigh.

I just finished The Night Circus...:001_wub: I need to go to bed now, so I am not going to write a lot right now, but I do believe that is one of my favorite books, ever. (Happy) sigh.

So much for trying to thin my to-read list down. Based on this tired yet glowing recommendation I just added another book. If only I was independently wealthy and could read all day. *ahem* I mean read all day in my hammock in the Alps only taking breaks to hike and swim. If I'm going to dream then I'm going to do it in style. :D

So much for trying to thin my to-read list down. Based on this tired yet glowing recommendation I just added another book. If only I was independently wealthy and could read all day. *ahem* I mean read all day in my hammock in the Alps only taking breaks to hike and swim. If I'm going to dream then I'm going to do it in style. :D

Could you bring a friend?:) My library list continues to grow and now that I have a Kindle I may never be without reading material again;) Too many books; not enough time. Truer words have never been spoken.

I finished Persuasion by Jane Austen again. The depth of this work increases with each reading. I was noting this time how Anne and Captain Wentworth came to see some folly in the earlier engagement. Such an amazing piece of literature.

2012 Books Reviews

1. Lit! by Tony Reinke

2. Loving the Little Years by Rachel Jankovic

3. Words to Eat By by Ina Lipkowitz

4. How to Tutor Your Own Child by Marina Koestler Ruben

5. Evening in the Palace of Reason by James R Gaines (spectacular)

6. The Cat of Bubastes by GA Henty (Audio from Librivox)

7. The Last Battle by C S Lewis (Audiobook)

8. A Praying Life by Paul E Miller

9. Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students by Christine Fonesca

10. Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers by Ralph Moody (fantastic read aloud)

11. The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare

12. The Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis

13. How to Write a Sentence by Stanley Fish

14. The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

15. The Rich Are Different by Susan Howatch

16. The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer

17. Sylvester by Georgette Heyer

18. Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher (great read aloud)

19. Sins of the Fathers by Susan Howatch (wow!)

20. Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls (very good)

21. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (favorite)

22. The Toll Gate by Georgette Heyer

23. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (audio book)

24. The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (audio book)

25. Penmarric by Susan Howatch

26. Cashelmara by Susan Howatch

27. The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer

28. Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings

29. Queen of Sorcery by David Eddings

30. Magician's Gambit by David Eddings

31. Castle of Wizadry by David Eddings

32. Enchanter's End Game by David Eddings

33. Persuasion by Jane Austen

Can I join you??? Sounds like an ideal location! :D (And, I loved The Night Circus too.)

Haven't had too much reading time this week -- life has been too busy. Maybe I'll be back to my books soon....

I'd prefer a tropical island beach myself!:)

Can I join you??? Sounds like an ideal location! :D (And, I loved The Night Circus too.)

Haven't had too much reading time this week -- life has been too busy. Maybe I'll be back to my books soon....

Of course! That way we can talk about the books we're reading. :001_smile:

I'd prefer a tropical island beach myself!:)

I like how you think. When Stacia and I get sick of the beauty and grandness of the Alps we'll have to come visit you for a few weeks.

Normally I adore organizing books. I'm pretty organized already so I read them to make me feel good about myself and get tips on how to do things better. It takes a lot for me to dislike a book on organizing. That said Order from Chaos by Liz Davenport was a completely mediorcre read. Her system was convoluted and there are much better ways of trying to do what she wanted to do. I suppose there might be three people total in the world that would find her system helpful but probably not much more than that. Getting Things Done by David Allen is a much better book.

In progress:

Stein on Writing by Sol Stein

Supermarket by Satoshi Azuchi (for book club)

Calico Bush by Rachel Field (read aloud)

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome (audiobook)

2012 finished books:

81. Order from Chaos by Liz Davenport (**)

80. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (****)

79. 4:50 From Paddington by Agatha Christie (***)

78. Hark! A Vagrant by Kate Beaton (****)

77. 84, Charing Cross by Helene Hanff (****)

76. The Unknown Ajax by Georgette Heyer (****)

75. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore (***)

74. An Unsuitable Job for a Woman by PD James (***)

73. Behind the Bedroom Wall by Laura Williams (***)

72. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (****)

71. The Fellowship of the Ring by JRR Tolkien (****)

70. The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien (**)

69. The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald (****)

68. The School Story by Andrew Clement - read aloud (****)

67. The Great Brain by John D. Fitzgerald (*)

66. Free-Range Kids by Lenore Skenazy (***)

65. Red Sails to Capri by Ann Weil -read aloud (***)

64. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglass Adams (*****)

63. Death of a Cad by MC Beaton (**)

62. Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (***)

61. The Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs (***)

60. A Pocket Full of Rye by Agatha Christie (***)

59. The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence) by Agatha Christie (****)

58. Tales of Robin Hood by Tony Allan - read aloud (****)

57. Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace (*****)

56. The Beekeepers Apprentice by Laurie R. King (****)

55. Death of a Gossip by MC Beaton (***)

54. The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett (**)

53. On Writing by Stephen King (*****)

52. Maus by Art Spiegelman (****)

51. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (***)

50. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins (****)

49. The Night Bookmobile by Audrey Niffinegger (*)

48. Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson (***)

47. Casino Royale - James Bond by Ian Fleming (**)

46. A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson - Audiobook (***)

45. The Lucky Shopping Manual by Kim Lenitt (*****)

44. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (****)

43. Half Moon Investigations by Eoin Colfer - Audiobook (****)

42. Half Magic by Edward Eager (***)

41. Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wrede - Read Aloud (****)

Books 1 - 40

Amy's Rating System:

***** - Fantastic, couldn't put it down

**** - Very good

*** - Enjoyable but nothing special

** - Not recommended

* - Horrible