Menu

Twins. DJ is doing very well. MT is still in utero.

Dj is ventilated but on a low oxygen mix which is apparently a good sign. He has a feeding tube too. His grandma, my dear friend, got to touch him today...lightly rubbed his little hand...his daddy has been able to touch him. Alas, momma is recovering from the C-section and is of course on complete bed rest to keep M.T. in there baking away as long as possible. So, I'm sad for his mommy because it has to be hard to have your mom and husband be able to touch him, but apart from a very brief moment after his birth that they let her look at him before wisking him off to start interventions, hasn't seen him much less touched him. That alone, I think, takes a lot of inner strength to endure.

I have another picture. He has plumpish cheeks...round. I didn't expect that out of a 26 weeker at 2 lbs. 2 oz. Somehow, it makes me feel really optimistic!

Thanks for all of your prayers!!!!!

Faith

Praying!

Thank you for updating with cautiously good news. It is very encouraging.

Can they not roll his "bed" next to hers now and then so she can talk to him? He would recognize her voice...it may comfort him and her.

Praying!

Can they not roll his "bed" next to hers now and then so she can talk to him? He would recognize her voice...it may comfort him and her.

Yes I agree. To me, they should be able to roll one or the other so they can be together a bit.

Thank you so much for the update Faithe. I've been praying and will continue to do so. Hopefully Momma and DJ can see each other soon. :grouphug:

Praying!

I'm certain he is in the NICU - generally NICU babies don't get to come out for visits. Mom is probably more moveable, but if she's receiving interventions to keep baby B inside, she may have to stay put too. Hard on everyone, but may be necessary given the unusual circumstances.

2lbs+ is GREAT for 26wks! So is a low oxygen mix! Feeding tube is totally normal and expected at that age, babies don't usually suck until more like 32wks+.

Here's hoping baby B can stay in for awhile!

Praying!

Yes I agree. To me' date=' they should be able to roll one or the other so they can be together a bit.

Thank you so much for the update Faithe. I've been praying and will continue to do so. Hopefully Momma and DJ can see each other soon. :grouphug:[/quote']

I'm certain he is in the NICU - generally NICU babies don't get to come out for visits. Mom is probably more moveable, but if she's receiving interventions to keep baby B inside, she may have to stay put too. Hard on everyone, but may be necessary given the unusual circumstances.

2lbs+ is GREAT for 26wks! So is a low oxygen mix! Feeding tube is totally normal and expected at that age, babies don't usually suck until more like 32wks+.

Here's hoping baby B can stay in for awhile!

:iagree: Yes, this. I'm certain he's in NICU, which means there's not just a bed holding him but oodles of things monitoring him --- he'll have heart rate monitors, pulse-ox monitors, breathing monitors, the oxygen he's on, if he's on a vent, the feeding tube, warmers to keep his body temp up (this may/probably be integral to his "bed"), and just a whole slew of things. It's not really a portable basinet like a regular infant/newborn gets in the regular newborn nursery. At all.

And if momma is on intervention to keep the 2nd twin in place, they probably won't move her either, and also I doubt that the NICU has room for a full size hospital bed to be rolled in next to baby. If she's on full bed rest like the OP says, that means full. Complete. Probably she's got a catheter and all and is not even able to get up to potty at this point, so it's not like they can just put her in a wheel chair, not if Twin B is in danger of being born early still. Full bed rest means not being upright, pretty much at all.

It's not easy, at all, but it is best for momma, Twin A and Twin B that they all be where they are right now, even though yes, it totally sucks. But I'm also sure that the hospital will make a way just as soon as it's safe for them to do so.

Still praying Faith; thanks for updating on this family.

So glad to hear baby one is doing so beautifully, and baby two still cooking!

I feel for their poor mama, though. I can't imagine the strength it takes to stay in bed calmly while your little one is nearby being treated, though I know it cannot be avoided. :grouphug:

They'll let mama go down in a wheelchair before long. Almost all hospitals with an experienced NICU are good about this! Our time in the NICU with a micro-preemie wasn't great, but those nurses were incredible and they would bend over backwards for the families!

Statistically 26 weekers have great odds! He'll be in my prayers. It is just amazing to me that they can deliver one and keep the other in mama. Just miraculous!

It is just amazing to me that they can deliver one and keep the other in mama. Just miraculous!

Me, too! I've never heard of that before reading this post, and was a bit confused as I read it at first.

That's amazing! If I was the momma, I'd be making my DH live with the already born baby, talking to him/her nonstop, to make up for me not being there. Or maybe recording my voice to play for baby.

Great news! DJ sounds like he's doing really well so far! Hopefully they can keep baby B in for some time yet. I hope they find a way to get her to the NICU to see DJ though!

When DS was in the NICU for a short time they did in fact wheel my bed in to see him (just after my C/S even). With DD I did not have a c/s so was able to go by wheelchair initially and then walk after. Spending time with her was very helpful to me so I hope they are at least taking many pictures and videos and taking them to her so she can see him that way at least.

I am so glad to hear they are doing well.

The NICU is very restricted generally because illness can be very dangerous, particularly in preemies. When my son was in the NICU they were very particular about visitors and they were particularly strict about children visiting due to RSV. They are not going to move a preemie around in a hospital where they could be exposed to so much. Someone just putting their hand on the incubator as they rolled by could be dangerous. My son was in a children's hospital so I was across town from him part of the time.

I hope they will be able to help the mom visit. It is a horrible feeling.

Edited by Sis