Menu

Colorado Springs is on fire.

I don't know if there is anyone here that can help with this but I thought it couldn't hurt to post. I wish we could help but with dh's work schedule and him being gone I wouldn't feel comfortable hosting strangers.

FAMILIES NEEDED FOR THOSE AFFECTED BY CANYON FIRE:

(A message from Col Jeff Flewelling, Vice Commander, 21st Space Wing)

... Peterson Housing Residents,

As the Waldo Canyon Fire continues to grow, it is threatening the US Air Force Academy. The 21st Space Wing is developing plans to help accommodate families and cadets that may be evacuated. If you are willing to host families and/or pets evacuated from USAFA, please contact the 21 Space Wing Emergency Operations Center at 556-3756 with the following information:

- Name and address

- Family size you can support

- "pet friendly" or not

Thank you for your willingness to support our Air Force families!

Col Jeff Flewelling

Vice Commander, 21st

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, DH and I have been watching all night. There's no side of town where we don't have family, friends, and memories, because DH grew up in Colorado Springs and I moved there to be with him and lived there, too. Praise God, everybody is accounted for, evacuated, still safe, or working a plan. Most of the family is out of the evacuation so far. DH's best high school friends have all been together at a class reunion this weekend! And reconnected folks are helping each other. But we expect to find

1. DH's childhood home,

2. the place we met,

3. the place we got married,

4. our first house together as newlyweds,

5. our old church,

6. and BIL's former house and workplace

7. another BIL and SIL's home

to be gone by morning. Those locations are all in the path.

Another BIL and SIL (#7 up in the list) are evacuating right this minute. It's taking a little longer because they're helping a nursing home on their street move all the residents to shelters. They know where they're going and they'll be fine, but they are very poor and will be losing a very beloved (and cheaply rented) old house where they've raised four kids and a few grandchildren. I don't know how they're going to start over after this.

The Facebook photos are impossible to believe. It's like a movie scene and not reality.

Well, DH and I have been watching all night. There's no side of town where we don't have family, friends, and memories, because DH grew up in Colorado Springs and I moved there to be with him and lived there, too. Praise God, everybody is accounted for, evacuated, still safe, or working a plan. Most of the family is out of the evacuation so far. DH's best high school friends have all been together at a class reunion this weekend! And reconnected folks are helping each other. But we expect to find

1. DH's childhood home,

2. the place we met,

5. our old church,

Another BIL and SIL (#7 up in the list) are evacuating right this minute. It's taking a little longer because they're helping a nursing home on their street move all the residents to shelters. They know where they're going and they'll be fine, but they are very poor and will be losing a very beloved (and cheaply rented) old house where they've raised four kids and a few grandchildren. I don't know how they're going to start over after this.

The Facebook photos are impossible to believe. It's like a movie scene and not reality.

I'm so sorry Tibbie. I am just beside myself with shock, horror, and grief over this. I feel so helpless. A friend of mine described the feeling as similar to the helplessness she felt on 9/11.

1. DH's childhood home,

2. the place we met,

5. our old church,

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I'm so sorry Tibbie. :(

I'm so sorry Tibbie. I am just beside myself with shock, horror, and grief over this. I feel so helpless. A friend of mine described the feeling as similar to the helplessness she felt on 9/11.

I believe it. This is devastating. :(

:grouphug:

I think I was kind of afraid it would feel like that, so other than checking on family and friends we purposely didn't start following photos, videos, twitter feeds and whatnot until after we put the kids to bed. It's too much to take in.

DH wanted to take the kids to visit MIL and see some beloved places last year but we didn't make it happen. We've never visited as much as we should have because it's so expensive to travel (we're in Indiana) and you get the feeling that the places you knew would always be the same. Now some of those places will be gone next time we go.

MIL is living in NY now (recently remarried) and is watching the news as the fire gets very, very close to her lifelong home and neighborhood. She is stunned. If she hadn't met her new DH last year, had a whirlwind romance and married him and moved to NY, she'd be losing it all right now.

I've got to go to bed. I just noticed how late it is!

Does anyone know if all our Colorado Springs WTM'ers are safe? Is anybody evacuated? Who are we praying for from here?

I'm evacuated and safe at a friend's house.

I'm pretty sure Karen in CO would be evacuated.

>>> The Facebook photos are impossible to believe. It's like a movie scene and not reality. <<<

I keep expecting to wake up in a sweat in my own bed crying and saying to DH, "I just dreamed our city was burning..."

But I won't wake up in my own bed. And it wasn't just a dream.

I can hear the planes swoop by as they fight.

Okay, I've spent three hours answering emails -- time to bravely look at the news site.

JudoMom, glad you are okay. Hope your home makes it.

Thankful to be alive...

Kelly

Dh's very dear aunt, her hubby, his cousin and cousin's wife and daughter are all in the springs and in danger. MIL (aunt is her twin sister) have not been heard from in 24 hrs.

Terrified here as well and feeling helpless since there isn't one thing we can do about it from Michigan.

No sleep last night and not anticipating any this evening either.

Faith

We are an Air Force family and of course, we know families in CS. Dh was just out there last week for a meeting and now I am thinking how many of those he was meeting with are now evacuated and how many have lost homes. I have been praying for all the fire areas and will continue to do so.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I used to live in Briargate.

So many of my friends are either evacuated or ready to go. The news coverage is just surreal. I'm all the way in PA now, but I am thinking of all of you and hoping you get through this with only the smallest inconveniences, instead of loss of homes and property.

Hang in there.

I'm still praying this morning.

We are about half and hour north of the fire and were very smokey last night. My family was down at the Air Force Academy on Saturday and actually watched this fire start up in the distance. I've been checking the news sites this morning, but haven't come up with anything new.

It's been a crazy month of June here in CO with massive hail storms, massive fires, and record breaking heat.

>>> The Facebook photos are impossible to believe. It's like a movie scene and not reality. <<<

I keep expecting to wake up in a sweat in my own bed crying and saying to DH, "I just dreamed our city was burning..."

Okay, I've spent three hours answering emails -- time to bravely look at the news site.

Thankful to be alive...

Kelly

:grouphug::grouphug: the plane sounds at night make it all so real in an unreal way.... i remember waking up during the station fire to the planes, and then just sitting out on our front porch with neighbors watching the flames and wondering if we should go yet......

any news on your house?

ann

There are updates here:

http://www.gazette.com/articles/charred-140903-waking-city.html

However, not much new - they don't know (or aren't saying) how many homes have burned. We stayed up late watching the hillside burn - lots of fires on the entire hillside. Totally surreal - I, too, felt as if I was watching 9-11 all over again. A very helpless feeling - lots of emotions ranging from sadness to anger to helplessness. The mountain is covered in smoke this morning so we can't see anything...

Thanks for your prayers! I was born here and it's really emotional to see my city burn...plus the financial consequences of this - hard to imagine!

Melody

Dh's very dear aunt, her hubby, his cousin and cousin's wife and daughter are all in the springs and in danger. MIL (aunt is her twin sister) have not been heard from in 24 hrs.

Terrified here as well and feeling helpless since there isn't one thing we can do about it from Michigan.

No sleep last night and not anticipating any this evening either.

Faith

I'm sorry for your family. I hope it is a helpful for you to know that no injuries have been reported. Do you know if they live in the evacuation area?

Thankful to be alive...

Kelly

My sister and her family live in Elbert - 10 miles from Colorado Springs. She emailed me this morning that she woke up at 5 AM to the strong smell of smoke. Many of their church goers have evacuated. My sister will be taking in as many evacuees as she can. Hopefully the fire will stay clear of her area.

It's just.so.scary. Praying for everyone's safety!:grouphug:

Once again I went to Care and Share and I am happy to report that there was a steady stream of traffic. I offered to stay and help but they are at capacity for volunteers today. If everything goes as plans my boys and I will be going to All Breeds Rescue and Training to help with the animals tonight at 630. If you are in the area and able to help they need more volunteers to help feed the animals and walk the dogs.

http://www.haveanicedog.org/

http://www.facebook.com/shares/view?id=438744996158789&ref=notif&notif_t=story_reshare#!/haveanicedog

Once again I went to Care and Share and I am happy to report that there was a steady stream of traffic. I offered to stay and help but they are at capacity for volunteers today. If everything goes as plans my boys and I will be going to All Breeds Rescue and Training to help with the animals tonight at 630. If you are in the area and able to help they need more volunteers to help feed the animals and walk the dogs.

http://www.haveanicedog.org/

http://www.facebook.com/shares/view?id=438744996158789&ref=notif&notif_t=story_reshare#!/haveanicedog

Thanks for the info!

We'll be heading over to Care and Share today. May also be taking in some horses (our neighbor is working with someone at the Air Force Academy who is trying to find shelter for all the horses from the AFA stables).

In the midst of this tragedy, it's wonderful to see how people are coming together to help those in need. This really is a great community.

That is such a large area evacuated. We have never been stationed at CS but a few times, it was one of the possibilities. Where we would have chosen to live would definitely have been in the evacuated area. As someone who has had to prepare for an evacuation but never done one, (not with fire but with tropical weather), I feel for all of you as I sit in my air conditioned house on a forested mountain slope in the blistering heat and think how a few years of drought could put us in the same situation.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Thanks for the info!

We'll be heading over to Care and Share today. May also be taking in some horses (our neighbor is working with someone at the Air Force Academy who is trying to find shelter for all the horses from the AFA stables).

In the midst of this tragedy, it's wonderful to see how people are coming together to help those in need. This really is a great community.

Julie, If more areas for sheltering horses are needed there are numerous people offering their land here: http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/399483610098529/

Our all time favorite family vacation was in and around Colorado Springs. We are praying for everyone impacted by the fire. The kids are so sad to think Flying W is gone and are watching the pictures of USAF Base and Garden of the Gods. We are also praying for the men and women fighting these fires, that they may be kept safe.

Prayers from Michigan :grouphug:

This may seem kind of frivolous, but I don't have anywhere else to ask. All our communication with family and friends has to do with their safety, of course, and not my curiosity, but I really want to know:

Has the fire burnt up the American Mother's Chapel in the Garden of the Gods? Or will it? I'd think if the Flying W was gone the chapel might be gone, too, but I can't remember how close they were.

I was married there in 1995.

Does anyone know?

This may seem kind of frivolous, but I don't have anywhere else to ask. All our communication with family and friends has to do with their safety, of course, and not my curiosity, but I really want to know:

Has the fire burnt up the American Mother's Chapel in the Garden of the Gods? Or will it? I'd think if the Flying W was gone the chapel might be gone, too, but I can't remember how close they were.

I was married there in 1995.

Does anyone know?

It is hard to say for sure as they aren't releasing info on what has been burned. Many streets show that while some houses burnt others are intact. You can use the map here to get a closer view of where it is in relation to the fire. http://www3.gazette.com/fire/

BTW, it isn't frivolous. :grouphug:

It is hard to say for sure as they aren't releasing info on what has been burned. Many streets show that while some houses burnt others are intact. You can use the map here to get a closer view of where it is in relation to the fire. http://www3.gazette.com/fire/

BTW, it isn't frivolous. :grouphug:

Thank you so much. That new map, while awful, is much clearer.

My friend and her family lost three homes. They know for sure two homes have been burnt down (her daughters homes) and most likely hers is gone as well. I feel helpless. I am praying for everybody out there right now.

This is terrible. I'll pray for your friend and her family.

My friend and her family lost three homes. They know for sure two homes have been burnt down (her daughters homes) and most likely hers is gone as well. I feel helpless. I am praying for everybody out there right now.

I'm sorry. :grouphug:

What is Care and Share? Is it backed up with people needing aid or people donating aid?

It is our local food pantry and is the distribution center for all donations to help the evacuees and the fire fighters. They are accepting food and toiletries for the evacuees as well as baby powder, eye drops, and food for the fire fighters.

To answer your question, those are donations.