Menu

Colorado Springs is on fire.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's bad Margaret. They're evacuating some of the AFA. Flying W is burning.

Oh gracious ... Im having such a hard time grasping the magnitude of this fire. Praying for the fires to stop and for all the displaced people.

I have such good memories of Flying W. We loved that place. I literally dream about going back there. A piece of my heart will forever be in co and I will continue to pray.

Watching the press conference, I got an uneasy feeling that the fire guys are freaked out.

I have such good memories of Flying W. We loved that place. I literally dream about going back there. A piece of my heart will forever be in co and I will continue to pray.

FWIW, sorry to say, supposedly the Flying W Ranch burned to the ground.

We have friends whose son is there. They are packed and ready to go.

This photo is SO sad. My friends have a photo of them in front of this just a couple months ago with their son.

What's also sad, and hard to imagine, is that even if the structures are saved, the burned trees will be black for a very long time.

If she's north of Boulder, she should be fine--the major fire there is on Flagstaff. Dh told me that there were two fires in Boulder but he had to leave for a fire here, so I wasn't able to confirm where the second one was. Please pray--we had lots of lightning here and were just called out by the new dump.

The 2nd fire is in Lyons (Boulder County) and not as close to homes as the Flagstaff one is...its one ridge away from my in-laws house which is very close to NCAR. We aren't getting great updates right now because the CO Springs fire is so out of control. :sad:

Anyway- our entire family is praying for grace & mercy for those CO Springs. I've never seen anything like the footage I"m seeing on TV_ my heart aches for everyone affected. It looks really, really bad.

We have friends whose son is there. They are packed and ready to go.

This photo is SO sad. My friends have a photo of them in front of this just a couple months ago with their son.

Luckily the fire isn't there right now. From what I understand portions were evac'ed due to the heavy smoke, but I can be wrong. Hopefully the wind dies down. They said during the news conference that the cause of the problems tonight was 65 mph winds.

I can't imagine being an evacuee and watching the news live seeing homes on fire, wondering if that is *my* house or the house of a loved one.

I just got on the computer after being MIA for the last two days and had no idea the fires had reached the Springs. We have family on Coyote Willow Dr. I know it is near the AFA, but I'm not sure how close. It is too late for me to call her, so can anyone tell me how close they are and if they are at risk of being evacuated?

Thanks!

Wow. This is unbelievable. My parents live in Colorado Springs and we were just there a couple of weeks ago. Luckily, as of now they're far from the fire. My father's favorite place was the Flying W. I saw on one of the websites that they encouraged people not to use their cell phones in order to keep the lines open for emergencies. So if you are trying to call someone I might suggest calling their landline if they have one.

I just got on the computer after being MIA for the last two days and had no idea the fires had reached the Springs. We have family on Coyote Willow Dr. I know it is near the AFA, but I'm not sure how close. It is too late for me to call her, so can anyone tell me how close they are and if they are at risk of being evacuated?

Thanks!

Country Girl,

It is 9:25 p.m. at night here in CO, but we're all up watching the crazy footage. Probably not too late to call your family (though try to use a land line b/c they said cell phones are jamming up/running out of space).

I don't know where that road is, sorry. It seems like the worst of the in-town burning is closer to Garden of the Gods and Centennial, which is way south of the AFA.

Hope that helps a little bit!

Christina

Thanks!

According to google maps, that street is just on the east side of I-25 near the north gate of the AFA. So, they should be fine for the time being, not under evacuation.

Watching the press conference, I got an uneasy feeling that the fire guys are freaked out.

FWIW, sorry to say, supposedly the Flying W Ranch burned to the ground.

I know. :( and its in residential neighborhood. I shudder to think how many homes will have been lost when this is all over.

It is 9:25 p.m. at night here in CO, but we're all up watching the crazy footage.

yep. I'm nowhere near there but if the evacuation area expands, it's possible I could have some relatives heading up my way. I've been watching pics on the news filmed not far from where they are, looking at the fire from a distance, and I'm flabbergasted.

I don't know why this one seems so much more shocking to me than the High Park fire; maybe the speed with which it developed and a more dense population.

Wow, weather guy has a radar pic that shows the heat from the fire and smoke.

Edited by wapiti

Thanks!

I'll see if I can find that street on a map and let you know.

According to google maps, that street is just on the east side of I-25 near the north gate of the AFA. So, they should be fine for the time being, not under evacuation.

Just saw you found it first. That is correct, the evacs are on the west side of I25.

Christina and wapiti,

Thank you both. My time zones are all mixed up, so I was thinking it was later. I think I'll try to give her a call right now, but it is good to know that they look safe for now.

Thanks!

Happy to help. I saw that your location is China and figured you were asking for some timezone help.

Hope you get in touch and find out all is well, but being east of I-25 (as wapiti pointed out) is a very good sign for your family.

Christina

:ohmy:

The pictures of the fire coming down the mountain are chilling.

:grouphug:

No kidding. We are way on the east side of town but when hubby took me over to a nearby church tonight that has a view west, we could see a large area of red on the horizon, a ton of smoke, and FLAMES in many, many places.

It was shocking.

Happy to help. I saw that your location is China and figured you were asking for some timezone help.

Hope you get in touch and find out all is well, but being east of I-25 (as wapiti pointed out) is a very good sign for your family.

Christina

Thanks. I just got ahold of her and they are doing fine. As you said, they are east of I-25 so they feel pretty safe. Their previous home and the church they still attend is in one of the worst hit areas (Mountain Shadows). So they have several close friends that are have been evacuated and a few staying with them right now.

Edited by Country Girl

I was wondering that myself. Now that they've moved the mandatory evacuation zone farther south twice, JudoMom is probably on the road somewhere. :glare:

Eek!

I was hoping to hear updates! She must have other people to call. Or maybe she doesn't have a smartphone!:confused:

Lol. I don't mean to make light of this. Courtney, I am praying for your family and your house.

Does anyone know exactly where Satori is located? I know she's in Colorado somewhere.

I think she is between Nederland and Boulder somewhere.

Those AFA pictures are dramatic.

I am praying for everyone there. I went to CU Boulder, it is wonderful have the mountains all around, but at times like this it reminds you how powerful nature is.

What about the Olympic Training Center? I know the main one is on Colorado Springs, I just don't know what area. I would imagine there are more young athletes there than normal at the moment.

I think she is between Nederland and Boulder somewhere.

Those AFA pictures are dramatic.

I am praying for everyone there. I went to CU Boulder, it is wonderful have the mountains all around, but at times like this it reminds you how powerful nature is.

What about the Olympic Training Center? I know the main one is on Colorado Springs, I just don't know what area. I would imagine there are more young athletes there than normal at the moment.

The Olympic Training Center is east of I25 so it is in the clear for now.

No kidding. We are way on the east side of town but when hubby took me over to a nearby church tonight that has a view west, we could see a large area of red on the horizon, a ton of smoke, and FLAMES in many, many places.

It was shocking.

:grouphug:

Was there livestock and horses? I hope everyone got out. The smoke reminds of the terrible air we breathed during one of the fires here in CA a couple of years ago, mind you it was not this bad though!

A FB update said the horses had already been evacuated a few days ago.