Menu

I didn't know that fireflies were disappearing!

Huh. We were just talking about how many more there seem to be in the last few years.

If anyone needs more, they can have some from our fields. :lol: They are everywhere. I actually had one in the bathroom this morning, crawling up the mirror. :glare:

This reminds me of when a firefly landed inside the toilet and couldn't get out. There was an eerie greenish glow coming out of the bowl. We fished it out and it eventually flew away.

We didn't have them but now we have a tiny colony of them near us. The Dept of Agriculture is watching the growth. My friend lives nearby and some night we plan to take the kids out there to hopefully see some when it is more established.

I've never seen them; I don't think they live in central CA (dry, not marshy, and mostly cool at night). Anybody got a map of firefly habitats?

They generally live east of the Mississippi.

We had them in corner of our yard when we first moved to MN. My kids had never seen them before, since they'd grown up in CA. That was... wow... almost three years ago now. We haven't seen them at all the last two summers.

So I believe that the population is decreasing.

We haven't really noticed a decrease. We have woods on 3 sides of our house and they are everywhere.

If you've never seen them before, I hope someday you'll get to :001_smile:. It is truly amazing to stroll down a country road and see SO MUCH twinkling! It makes you think the possibility of fairies in your midst is not so far-fetched.

Our local Audubon Society just hosted an event called "The Secret Lives of Fireflies" that DD and I went to on Saturday night. We learned some really neat things! For example, fireflies are poisonous, so most predators leave them alone. And there are some species of fireflies in which the female imitates the blinking patterns of other species in order to attract males and then eat them! Also firefly larva can live underground for 2 years, but then live only a few weeks as mature fireflies. And mature fireflies don't eat.

Anyhow, there is a national project for citizen scientists to track fireflies. It's hosted by the Boston Museum of Science. You only have to commit to 10 minutes per week of counting fireflies in your yard, and then complete an online questionnaire. They're trying to determine what impacts the firefly population (location, light sources, lawn care, water sources, etc.). I think this would be a great homeschool project. Here's the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.mos.org/fireflywatch

Edited by trinchick
fixed the link

Our local Audubon Society just hosted an event called "The Secret Lives of Fireflies" that DD and I went to on Saturday night. We learned some really neat things! For example, fireflies are poisonous, so most predators leave them alone. And there are some species of fireflies in which the female imitates the blinking patterns of other species in order to attract males and then eat them! Also firefly larva can live underground for 2 years, but then live only a few weeks as mature fireflies. And mature fireflies don't eat.

Anyhow, there is a national project for citizen scientists to track fireflies. It's hosted by the Boston Museum of Science. You only have to commit to 10 minutes per week of counting fireflies in your yard, and then complete an online questionnaire. They're trying to determine what impacts the firefly population (location, light sources, lawn care, water sources, etc.). I think this would be a great homeschool project. Here's the link if anyone is interested:

www.mos.org/fireflywatch

Unfortunately, we have first hand experience with the bolded. A friend tossed a firefly in our bearded dragon's habitat. His beard turned black, within a few hours, and he died, despite the vet's best efforts, 48 hours later.