Menu

What is the story behind your username?

besroma

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in a snit the day I signed up... :lol:

No, seriously. I had stopped to talk with one of my (thankfully former) neighbors after taking DS1 (then 2 months old) for a walk. We had a nice chat, yada yada... and then I made some comment about how I had lost track of time and had to go. She asked why and I replied that I needed to go put the bread in the oven and get dinner started. She just glared at me for about a minute with a disgusted look and then exclaimed, "Well aren't you an ambitious housewife!" and then turned around and stormed off.

I kid you not.

This is also the woman that, about a month later, banged on my door and tried to tell me that I had to stop cooking because her DH thought that my food smelled good and was wanting something something other than frozen dinners and (I quote) she "... wasn't going to be some man's slave!" :001_huh:

So... yeah. That is how I came up with my name. I've kind of thought of changing it because some times it just seems so presumptuous, but I've never gotten around to actually doing that...

That is stinkin hysterical. Seriously :lol:

Mine is my favorite coffee drink. At the cafe I used to frequent, the owner would call out greetings to the regulars when we arrive. He never really introduced himself or asked for our names, but simply named us according to what we usually ordered: Iced Latte, Ms. Mocha, Mr. Romano, NoWhip, etc.

Ha! I could see the guy at our coffee shop doing that, if we hadn't know him before he was the guy at the coffee shop (when he was just a teenager!) ... As it is I walk in and don't bother ordering. Mocha blended with whip! Lol

Mine is what I see myself as - having inner peacefulness in the midst of what sometimes seems to be chaos, especially when the boys are running around with swords and building forts in the living room, etc. it isn't a bad chaos...just the chaos created by life with kids. :) and peace. :)

I often wonder about avatars. I've seen plenty of what they are about here in this thread - its funny, i was actually thinking about starting a thread asking about avatars! Mine is fan art, I assume - the anime character I was looking for never looked quite like this. But I liked it because she is fighting, which is how I picture her - a warrior mom. And I like to fantasize that I am, too. :D

Favorite childhood book...from our DCs childhood! I fell in love with this book when we read it years ago and it really hit home then why we chose this homeschooling path...to share good books and a close family life.

It was a book I would have loved as a child and I felt sad thinking of all that wasted time on tv, Judy Blume, radio,...etc!

Quite simple... my maternal side of the family is Hispanic/Native American (and native Texan) dating back to before it was a US Territory and ruled by Mexico. Paternal side is Mexican from the Guadalajara region, but they lived in Northern CA since 1910. ;)

It's my scientific name! Kalmia latifolia, the laurel I was named after. I suppose I should change my icon from a pitcher plant to a mountain laurel, but I just like pitcher plants better.

I grew up in a neighborhood called, "Kalmia Acres." My grandmother loved all plants. The woods were covered in mountain laurel.

No story. My name is Polly, I live in the south and here they call women "Miss" or "MS" "first name". :)

Polly,

I am from the south also. I didn't realize it was considered southern until I moved to a midatlantic state. I asked my children's piano teacher if she preferred Mrs. First Name or Mrs. Last Name. Without hesitating, she stated, "Mrs. Last Name," and informed me that Mrs. First Name was a "southern thing!" :001_huh: I honestly thought it was just polite and respectful.

Since then, there was a pretty interesting thread on whether or not people like being called Mrs. First Name.

I like growing organic vegetables and we buy a fair amount of organic vegetables and fruits in the store. And my name is Ann.

I once googled my name and found it was a website for organically grown cannibis.... organi cann :001_huh:

Yikes! :tongue_smilie:

I was in a snit the day I signed up... :lol:

No, seriously. I had stopped to talk with one of my (thankfully former) neighbors after taking DS1 (then 2 months old) for a walk. We had a nice chat, yada yada... and then I made some comment about how I had lost track of time and had to go. She asked why and I replied that I needed to go put the bread in the oven and get dinner started. She just glared at me for about a minute with a disgusted look and then exclaimed, "Well aren't you an ambitious housewife!" and then turned around and stormed off.

I kid you not.

This is also the woman that, about a month later, banged on my door and tried to tell me that I had to stop cooking because her DH thought that my food smelled good and was wanting something something other than frozen dinners and (I quote) she "... wasn't going to be some man's slave!" :001_huh:

So... yeah. That is how I came up with my name. I've kind of thought of changing it because some times it just seems so presumptuous, but I've never gotten around to actually doing that...

This is a great story! :D

My dh is a mandolin player and builder. He uses mandofool on the bluegrass board he frequents, as he is a fool for the mandolin. So I am mandowife in appreciation for the mandolin.

Although at another board someone read it as man do wife and thought it was a reference to caveman pulling my hair or something.

I love the mandolin!

:lol: about the caveman comment.

There are some great stories here!

OP, how did you pick your name?:)

I used to be Olive on any forums I belonged to but that was taken when I signed up here. So, not being very creative I chose my current name and now use it everywhere. I live in Portland. On a hill. (And hill is part of my dh and kids' last name.)

UGH...I wondered when someone would ask....I am actually really behind reading the responses because I have a hard time coming up with usernames and I find it embarrassing...and I knew eventually someone would ask. (Notice I haven't even committed to an avatar or siggy yet....

Mine is a combination of where we used to live and part of our name. When I signed up, I could not think of anything clever or witty, so I just truncated two words, joined them together, and besroma it was.....

Oh, well...on to reading more interesting stories! :tongue_smilie:

UGH...I wondered when someone would ask....I am actually really behind reading the responses because I have a hard time coming up with usernames and I find it embarrassing...and I knew eventually someone would ask. (Notice I haven't even committed to an avatar or siggy yet....

Mine is a combination of where we used to live and part of our name. When I signed up, I could not think of anything clever or witty, so I just truncated two words, joined them together, and besroma it was.....

Oh, well...on to reading more interesting stories! :tongue_smilie:

Don't feel bad! Mine is just the initials of a school name I thought I might use but then changed my mind about. So basically, it's as meaningful as random letters. :tongue_smilie:

i registered on another forum and had to pick one. all the cool math names like archimedes or gauss or whatever were taken, so i thought well nobody else will admit to being a wonk, as this was a pejorative term in my college. i was right! It had sort of a double meaning for me since I was one of those lazy dorks in college that defensively made fun of responsible hard working students by calling them wonks. It took me years to graduate from being a "cool" goof off, to being arguably a legitimate wonk.

Edited by mathwonk

My name sort of comes from a long bout with Lyme Disease. My doc had me drinking gallons and gallons of lemon water, and DH used to joke about the Lemon Lime drink - Sprite, only the Lime in my drink was Lyme. (Does anyone else remember those old commercials from the 80s, for Sprite?) ...Actually, the whole thing makes no sense, now that I try to type it out.

How 'bout we just go with this - I'm a shortie, definitely on the small side, and I do love elves, sprites, and other (pretend) magical creatures? :D

Actually, it makes sense to me!

I've shared before, but I'll share again.

My hubby is a gearhead and we have spent countless hours at car shows, fixing up our own classic cars, and dreaming about the cars we will one day own. It is very common in the hot rod industry to spell crazy with a "k". My dh started using emails/screen names with krazzy (the extra z making him different. You know, because the k didn't.) And so when I went to look for my own screen name, it just fit that I would be the krazzymommy. At the time, it didn't really dawn on me that this was an educational forum and not a hot rod forum. :D Not only does the name make no sense to anyone here, but everyone thinks I can't spell. I've thought a lot about changing it, but it would really stink to go from one bad screen name to another and I'm just not that creative. :tongue_smilie:

Did you change it? It says Phoenix now???

I've never felt like I fit in. Part of it comes from moving around a lot growing up and always being the new kid; part of it comes from being an introvert. And now, as an adult, I homeschool, and I don't even do that in a way that makes me "fit" neatly into a group of people. Hence, the "Maverick."

The "Mom" part is self-explanatory. ;)

I'm actually okay with all of it. :)

Besroma, did you ever tell us the story behind your username? I've just scrolled through the first few pages and couldn't see anything.

I think that after starting a 25 page thread you really ought to spill the beans :D.

(Or maybe I'm being dopey and missed it).

Besroma, did you ever tell us the story behind your username? I've just scrolled through the first few pages and couldn't see anything.

I think that after starting a 25 page thread you really ought to spill the beans :D.

(Or maybe I'm being dopey and missed it).

Bottom of page 23. :D

Bottom of page 23. :D

Ah, thank you, I'll go and look :001_smile:.

(She did take her time though, didn't she :tongue_smilie:).

ETA Having now read it, I think that was clever, and I think Besroma sounds lovely.

My dh is a Nuclear Propulsion Officer in the navy and they are typically called "Nukes" and well I'm his wife. Not as fancy a story as most think it would be.

I am also a nuke's wife, though mine is retired from the Navy now. I always smile when I see your username. :)

I have a mental illness called dissociative identity disorder, which used to be known as multiple personality disorder. So since there are many of "me" I came up with Mosaicmind. I love the look of mosaics, so many original pieces so beautifully put together.

Our last name is Pfanstiel - silent "p." So "pfamilygal" should be pronounced "familygal." We always spell "f" words with a "pf" around here :)

Oh no, I've always read it as 'p family gal', now I'll have to try to remember. I'm sure I'll pfind it pfairly trouble-pfree. It's a pfantastic, pfabulous name, by the way.