Menu

Picking berries at a nature preserve--ethical or not ethical?

The girls and I picked some berries today at a local nature preserve, and it didn't occur to me until afterward that maybe that's not an ethical thing to do :001_huh: The berries are along the trail line, and I read all the signage and pamphlets afterward, and there was no mention of removing things (flowers, etc.) from the park (but there were a million other cautions about garbage and snowshoes and dogs and staying on the trails). Is this one of those things that everyone but me knows not to do? (Because, sadly, that's not uncommon for me :blushing:).

TIA!

ETA: I forgot to ask, where do people forage if not on public land? I guess I kind of always thought of foraging as something that mostly has to be done in forests and parks and such, unless you have your own land, which most people probably don't. In fact, now that I think of it, I've read articles about people who teach foraging classes in public parks and off hiking trails. Is that legal/ethical in general?

Edited by melissel

In our local forest preserve, the plants, berries, etc. are to be left alone so the animals can have them. There's no sign saying that but we took a guided tour years ago and the naturalist taught the kids not to bother anything. Even bird nests that fall to the ground are to be left alone.

But it would be nice to post a sign or something- otherwise how do you know?

Ya know, i think this is one of those gray areas, and it largely depends on where you are. In MD, I'm not really sure there's such a thing as "public land" anymore. Anything that isn't privately owned (and posted) seems to belong to (and is thus protected by) the state.

In Maine, if you find a berry bush, you pick (unless it's in somebody's yard or orchard, obviously). There's a lot of open land, though, and even if it's privately owned, it's probably owned by timber or utility companies who don't care if you pick. I don't know if it's still the case, but the power company used to have no issue at all with people cutting Christmas trees along the rural lines at the forest edge. It just kept them from having to cut them.

So, my answer is: I dunno. You'll have to ask. :)

We live in a city park and pick wild blackberries all summer long. Curious park visitors always comment on our wisdom. Last year the city came and chopped down our favorite patch. Seems blackberries are considered a noxious weed so they were replaced with native trees, shrubs and grasses. Oh well, plenty more where those came from!

Unethical feels like a strong word for what you did. But I think it's usually against the rules, yes, and with some good reason. I try to teach my kids not to mess with the public lands... but if they occasionally pick up a rock, eat a mulberry or two or move some sticks around, I'm not going to freak out.

In a preserve, the berries are for the critters.

We live across the street from 40 acres of undeveloped public land. It will be a park someday. Right now, it's our foraging ground, as well as a lot of neighbors.

We'd forage anywhere that's not someone's yard or a nature preserve. Roadside, city park, parking lot planter, abandoned lot, our yard. We have had neighbors offer to let us pick their fruit.

Around here, foraging for morels or asparagus is much more controversial than berry picking. People with morels or asparagus on their land do NOT want people taking it, but much of it grows right by the side of the road where it's wooded. People drive around looking for it, and quickly get out and pick it. And then many sell it at the local farmer's markets.

We used to have people "forage" in our front yard - now THAT I consider just downright wrong (seriously - they'd stop & hop our fence to grab apricots and peaches that were inside the fence line, along with our house). It has scarred us forever... we are considering planting fruit and nut trees at our new place, and I am trying to locate them in a place where people aren't as likely to sneak over and steal them!

For the preserve, though - I wouldn't fret. It probably was against their rules, but if there wasn't anything posted and there wasn't a ranger advising people then apparently they don't take it that seriously.

The last nature preserve I went to, we were told by 3 different rangers not to touch anything (ANYthing - trees, twigs, broken bottles, etc) and we had to watch a 15 minute video about the area... and not touching anything! Lol

It depends on the area.

There are many state parks/nature preserves that don't mind (as long as you leave the reproducing part of the plant alone..so only a small part of any one bush of berries and no disturbing the root system of the plant).

I've picked wild strawberries, raspberries, fern fronds and morels on railroad land before. The critters get enough of my own food so I don't feel guilty. ;)

In our state (Minnesota), people are welcome to pick mushrooms, berries, and nuts at state parks, but nothing that would harm the plan (so no picking flowers, leaves, roots). The other stipulation is that you can only pick enough for your own consumption (not to sell at a farmers market, for example). I called earlier this year to ask, and they were so excited that I was asking - I'm not sure why, exactly - but they were quite encouraging that this was just fine to do.

In our state (Minnesota), people are welcome to pick mushrooms, berries, and nuts at state parks, but nothing that would harm the plan (so no picking flowers, leaves, roots). The other stipulation is that you can only pick enough for your own consumption (not to sell at a farmers market, for example). I called earlier this year to ask, and they were so excited that I was asking - I'm not sure why, exactly - but they were quite encouraging that this was just fine to do.

Missouri has about the same rules. Many people forage even within the city of St. Louis.

Humans are part of nature. Your behavior was normal and natural. :)

Exactly, thank you. You don't go in and clean an area of the resources the local animals need but if you are there to experience the surroundings, eating a few berries is a wonderful way to do that.

nope. it's really true. it is a really big park tho. And the playground closest to us is for resident use only.

Do you mind if I PM you? I really don't want to derail the thread, but I'm curious as to how that works if you don't mind my being nosy. :) hehe I've never heard of a private residence located on city lands or do you or your spouse work at the park and they provide you housing? I'm fascinated. :)

Do you mind if I PM you? I really don't want to derail the thread, but I'm curious as to how that works if you don't mind my being nosy. :) hehe I've never heard of a private residence located on city lands or do you or your spouse work at the park and they provide you housing? I'm fascinated. :)

PM'd you!:D

FWIW, in Nordic countries you'd be golden, under "allmansratten" (lit. all men's rights):

Today these rights underpin opportunities for outdoor recreation in several of the Nordic countries, providing the opportunity to hike across or camp on another's land (e.g. in Sweden for one or two nights), boating on someone else's waters, and picking wildflowers, mushrooms and berries. However — with the rights come responsibilities; that is, an obligation neither to harm, disturb, litter, nor to damage wildlife or crops.

Sweden FTW. :D

Humans are part of nature. Your behavior was normal and natural. :)

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

No, I don't believe picking wild berries is unethical. If the park has a rule, you need to follow it. Next time you go, just ask at the visitor's center or the office or such if they have a rule.