Menu

WWYD Stay or Go?

Would you stay or go?  

1. 1. Would you stay or go?

• Go! What are you waiting for?
    • Stay! What are you nuts?
    • Other! Have you thought about...?
    • Berry tarts. I just like to vote in polls.

Building a small chicken coop that is 12 ft by 12 ft easily cost us $2000 in materials - and it doesn't have electricity or a toilet or running water or insulation. Some of our materials were free, others were from salvage yards, others new. If you can afford to build a small building, then you can afford a junky trailer of some sort, or at least in our area. But travel trailers are not warm. My in-laws decided to live in one, by the WA coast, and nearly froze out.

Where would you put all of your other belongings? In storage? build yet another building? That adds expense as well.

I would spend money first to get water to the property, then move.

3 acres apart is not very far apart. We live in a dead end neighborhood where we have the smallest lot of 3 acres, the rest are 5 and up and the houses are still pretty close. If someone decided to move onto one lot with no water, live in a shack, and keep a child there, I have no doubt that at least one neighbor would be calling social services. And social services would not like that living situation here.

I never said the structure/cottage/whatever would be a shack.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's not going to be a "shack", I'm sure it's probably going to cost a lot more to build than rent for 6 months would be.

I'm sorry, but I don't think this is a good idea. I understand what you are trying to do, but I couldn't put my children in that environment. I just don't think it is a healthy situation.

No, but unless it looked spectacular, the neighbors could very well call it a shack - especially since it would not have running water. 15x20 is not large at all. Would you be dividing it so your child could have her own bedroom so that she still has privacy? That could be yet another issue if someone decides to call CPS on the living situation.

That being said, if you are this determined, some people have converted old train cars and those containers used for shipping overseas into homes. I don't know how much it would cost to buy one, or to make that metal box warm, but it is another idea. Again, you need to determine any zoning laws in that county. Where my grandmother lives, you could live in anything. Here, in my county, there are still some zoning laws even if you are in the rural part of the county.

Building a small chicken coop that is 12 ft by 12 ft easily cost us $2000 in materials - and it doesn't have electricity or a toilet or running water or insulation. Some of our materials were free, others were from salvage yards, others new. If you can afford to build a small building, then you can afford a junky trailer of some sort, or at least in our area. But travel trailers are not warm. My in-laws decided to live in one, by the WA coast, and nearly froze out.

I definitely agree on this. We just bought a super-cheap plastic shed because it was so much less expensive than building a simple frame and covering it with plywood.

Not having running water right away is tough. The whole family using a sawdust bucket wouldn't be the most pleasant thing ever in a small space. Not having a usable structure when it starts to get cold is what would make me hesitate. All the questions about how rough you're willing to live for a single winter are just theoretical if you can't get that shelter built before it gets cold.

Guest thehomesteadingboards

you can do it, there is a huge small home movement going on right now, check building codes and see what the minimum square footage that is code.

If it's not going to be a "shack", I'm sure it's probably going to cost a lot more to build than rent for 6 months would be.

I'm sorry, but I don't think this is a good idea. I understand what you are trying to do, but I couldn't put my children in that environment. I just don't think it is a healthy situation.

I'm not sure what would be unhealthy about living in a very small building.

No, but unless it looked spectacular, the neighbors could very well call it a shack - especially since it would not have running water. 15x20 is not large at all. Would you be dividing it so your child could have her own bedroom so that she still has privacy? That could be yet another issue if someone decides to call CPS on the living situation.

That being said, if you are this determined, some people have converted old train cars and those containers used for shipping overseas into homes. I don't know how much it would cost to buy one, or to make that metal box warm, but it is another idea. Again, you need to determine any zoning laws in that county. Where my grandmother lives, you could live in anything. Here, in my county, there are still some zoning laws even if you are in the rural part of the county.

I wouldn't want an old train car or shipping container. I'd eventually have to get rid of it.

The little building/cottage/structure/whatever would have an ultimate purpose after moving out of it if we were to do this. Essentially the little building would be built one way or another.

you can do it, there is a huge small home movement going on right now, check building codes and see what the minimum square footage that is code.

There isn't much in the way of codes. Maybe in bigger cities like Bangor or Portland, but where we are the town doesn't have inspectors.

I have a friend with a barn. I will be storing most of the stuff in the barn until the house proper is ready.

Our barn has mice which eat holes in everything. Any fabric we store outside is put in plastic tubs with the hopes of keeping mice holes and nests out of our stuff. Our house has mice in the spring and fall too. :tongue_smilie:

We regularly live in tents for three weeks at a time, and we've winter camped in temperatures as low as 15 degrees without any problems. I know that isn't the same as living in one full time, but I really think you'll be more comfortable and will save money by getting a nice tent and heating it with a small heater, rather than trying to build something on your own. Here are a few good tent options, all well made withstand the elements:

http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Copper-Canyon-1312-sleeps/dp/B000K7D1TK/

http://www.amazon.com/Kodaik-Canvas-Flex-Bow-8-Person-Deluxe/dp/B001NZWQ1C/

http://www.amazon.com/Trek-Tents-Cotton-Camping-Person/dp/B002OOY05G/

http://www.amazon.com/Wenzel-Klondike-11-Feet-Eight-Person-Family/dp/B002PB2HPS/

Coleman makes a heater that's pretty safe for tents: http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-SportCat-PerfecTemp-Catalytic-Heater/dp/B0009PUPSI/

But I prefer the Mr. Heater (if you don't have very young children): http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F232000-Indoor-Safe-Portable/dp/B002G51BZU/

Edited by Skadi

Here's my take:

IF you can build an adequately insulated shelter and install either a camp toilet (which you will have to schlep) or a composting one before October, and there is an open or public spring nearby enough, go for it!

My dad is off the grid in Byron and the first few years (20+ years ago) he did, in fact, schlep, use oil lamps, etc. He has since installed a solar electric system with a pump for the spring. The biggest hurdle was plowing himself out because the private camp road doesn't have winter maintenance.

My herbalist mentor is further south (Harmony), off the grid, and still has an outhouse. She birthed/raised her children bucketing water from a spring several hundred yards through the woods.

It's doable. The question is whether you want to live there while you improve the place over time.

We regularly live in tents for three weeks at a time. I know that isn't the same as living in one full time, but I really think you'll be more comfortable and will save money by getting a nice tent and heating it with a small heater, rather than trying to build something on your own. Here are a few good tent options, all well made withstand the elements:

http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Copper-Canyon-1312-sleeps/dp/B000K7D1TK/

http://www.amazon.com/Kodaik-Canvas-Flex-Bow-8-Person-Deluxe/dp/B001NZWQ1C/

http://www.amazon.com/Trek-Tents-Cotton-Camping-Person/dp/B002OOY05G/

http://www.amazon.com/Wenzel-Klondike-11-Feet-Eight-Person-Family/dp/B002PB2HPS/

Not sure about heating a tent when we are in such a cold hardiness zone of 4. Our night time extreme minimum temps could get as low as -30.

Haven't read the discussion, but I love adventures so I said go. I would try building a straw bale cabin--you can google for information, but you just need straw bales and something workable for plaster. And of course a roof...they're self-insulating.

For what it's worth, I think it's a noble and fitting idea. I'm not quite as adventurous in the housing arena, but I'm willing to live vicariously through your adventures. I know some people can't imagine it, but you know there are some people who can't imagine not getting their hair done every six weeks or having a second car and getting to do everything they want. Some people can't imagine homeschooling either, but somehow lots of people do it. :D

So I salute your Parrothead spirit and raise my virtual margarita to you!

Here, I got some for everyone.

margaritabanner.jpg

Why would the doctor need to know if we were without running water?

Granted, we are in VA so it might be different here.... but

One county over, in a less rural, mor affluent area, there is a homesteading family that lives this way on purpose. They were on one of those swap shows (trade your wife or whatever) so it is not as though they 'hide' their lifestyle. No one has taken their children or deemed them unfit.

You aren't abusing your children by living without running water. That is just short sighted. What about all the people who live in areas where their tap water is not drinkable?

Irk. Chuckie, check the laws, I doubt you will find running water mandatory. After all, people do camp still.

For what it's worth, I think it's a noble and fitting idea. I'm not quite as adventurous in the housing arena, but I'm willing to live vicariously through your adventures. I know some people can't imagine it, but you know there are some people who can't imagine not getting their hair done every six weeks or having a second car and getting to do everything they want. Some people can't imagine homeschooling either, but somehow lots of people do it. :D

So I salute your Parrothead spirit and raise my virtual margarita to you!

Here, I got some for everyone.

margaritabanner.jpg

Thank you. I am humbled by your kind words. :grouphug:

Haven't read the discussion, but I love adventures so I said go. I would try building a straw bale cabin--you can google for information, but you just need straw bales and something workable for plaster. And of course a roof...they're self-insulating.

I recently saw one being built by two people who, while not obviously disabled, seemed like just ordinary people - not particularly young or in super condition. It seemed like a small structure could come together pretty fast, since you're working with such big building blocks.

My husband has also helped build one, and it was relatively quick, though I think they had a lot more people.

But you really need reliably dry weather for long enough to get the exterior complete and everything sealed. I'm really not sure it's a practical project to take on in late summer/early fall.

I don't have time to read the responses, so this may have been stated already...

Check to see if you'd be able to get an occupancy permit with what you are planning. Around here you probably could NOT. (Amish do without electric and water, but their places are better built than what you are talking about.) If you live in an area without regulations, it possibly could work, but I'd start trying it in the spring, not for winter if it were me. Do check the legality though - no sense planning if the folks in charge won't let you do it.

Granted, we are in VA so it might be different here.... but

One county over, in a less rural, mor affluent area, there is a homesteading family that lives this way on purpose. They were on one of those swap shows (trade your wife or whatever) so it is not as though they 'hide' their lifestyle. No one has taken their children or deemed them unfit.

You aren't abusing your children by living without running water. That is just short sighted. What about all the people who live in areas where their tap water is not drinkable?

Irk. Chuckie, check the laws, I doubt you will find running water mandatory. After all, people do camp still.

We actually spent almost 4 years without drinkable running water. One could not drink the water in ____. AZ so it had to be brought in or one had to have a RO unit. Then we moved from there to MT and the water was yellow. We couldn't drink that either. I swear it is the four years of washing in bad water that led to my auto immune diseases.

Bringing in water is really nothing new for us.

I don't have time to read the responses, so this may have been stated already...

Check to see if you'd be able to get an occupancy permit with what you are planning. Around here you probably could NOT. (Amish do without electric and water, but their places are better built than what you are talking about.) If you live in an area without regulations, it possibly could work, but I'd start trying it in the spring, not for winter if it were me. Do check the legality though - no sense planning if the folks in charge won't let you do it.

I'm not sure why so many seem to think this will be badly built. Small, yes. badly built, no. As I stated a couple of times up thread we have plans for the building after the house is built. I'd like it to last to my death.

:lol: For what it's worth, my concern is entirely on the finances and time required to get that warm structure built. It's already the middle of June. It gets cold early up that way. If there isn't a few thousand to buy something, will three months of rent provide the extra cash to get a shelter built before it gets very cold? I'm more comfortable with spending the winter hauling water and pooping in a bucket if I have a roof over my head. ;)

what is your budget and time frame?

I'd rather not say the budget so publicly. We would have to have it floored, framed and roofed before October 15ish. But that is a bit fluid. Some years it doesn't get cold enough to turn on the heat until November. Some years we get snow by Halloween. Some years just before Christmas.

I'm not sure why so many seem to think this will be badly built. Small, yes. badly built, no. As I stated a couple of times up thread we have plans for the building after the house is built. I'd like it to last to my death.

Maybe because you said in your first post that you don't have a couple thousand to buy a travel trailer and so it sounds like you have less than a couple thousand to build this shelter. I haven't priced anything out, but it seems like anything decent would be a couple thousand to build - I know pouring a slab of cement isn't inexpensive, even if you're doing it yourself.

Guest thehomesteadingboards

Understood, here is a 8x14 outbuilding we made for around 2000 dollars last fall, a big part of that was the earth roof, 2x6 T&G spruce is very expensive.

http://thehomesteadingboards.com/2012/03/our-earth-sheltered-greenhouse/

Nice thing about the process is it is just stacking one block at a time and you can go as fast or as slow as you want.

if you want to buy something and just have it delivered, these guys deliver throughout the state

http://www.hillviewminibarns.com/stock.php?style=Camp&submit_style=Show+This+Style&sort=price&locations=All

good luck

I voted 'berry tarts' because I honestly don't know...

We're planning on doing something similar (literally listing our house tomorrow then looking for an acreage to buy), setting up a little shed to make do while we build. We also will probably have power but not water, and mainly use a wood fire stove for cooking/warmth, and no septic for a while (but that's DH's job!). But we'll be doing it in summer/autumn mostly, and it doesn't snow where we live, and we're both physically fine (albeit I'll be pregnant/have a newborn)...

So, I don't know. If it was short term and you had a back-up plan in case it really is NOT doable, I might try...

Maybe because you said in your first post that you don't have a couple thousand to buy a travel trailer and so it sounds like you have less than a couple thousand to build this shelter. I haven't priced anything out, but it seems like anything decent would be a couple thousand to build - I know pouring a slab of cement isn't inexpensive, even if you're doing it yourself.

:iagree::iagree: I think building anything livable will negate most, if not all, of your rent savings, while giving you much more hardship than necessary. I'd begin the adventure in the spring.

No. I wouldn't...not for anything. A pellet stove in a cold winter....in a shelter without insulation, etc. Nope. Never. We did it in a trailer...with a wood stove. I was young...in my 20's and strong as a horse. It was awful....and I am not one to shirk work or stiffen at adventure. It was downright scary when your water bucket freezes solid and your baby is sleeping in a full snowsuit in the sleeve of an extra parka.

No, not today. I do not have the money to buy a used travel trailer. I wouldn't want to anyway. That doesn't mean that over the rest of summer and into the fall I won't have money to put into the shelter. I don't want to list what I can budget each month in such an open forum. The goal for both the shelter/cottage/whatever and the house is to build as we go. We will not go into debt or have a mortgage.

If it makes a difference we will be debt free before winter.

I think is the way you described it in the beginning.....

Hopefully if all goes well we will be owners of a couple acres out in the country in a week or so.

I'm sick of paying rent and know what that money could do for us instead of lining the landlord's pocket.

What I would like to do is build a shelter of some type and winter over on the property. We can have power out there so we would have lights and washing machine.

The big problem is we would not have septic and water. Nor would the shelter be big. Maybe 15 x 20 feet. We would have to haul in water and use a composting toilet. We would have to build the shelter ourselves a little along between closing and the first snow which could happen in October but could wait until as late as the first week of December.

Another problem is the bum arm I have. I can only lift a small amount and I can't lift over my head. I'll know on the 18th about a treatment plan.

No, I can't afford to spend a couple thousand up front to buy a used travel trailer. I'm not sure exactly what type of shelter we would build.

Those are the drawbacks that I've thought of. I'm sure there are more. The only thing we would be gaining is the money saved from paying rent.

Would you stay put through the winter or would you have an adventure and live on the land?

P.S. Remember when I say winter, I mean long cold winters.

I think if you said 'simple one/two room House' then people would be thinking differently. Using the more generic word of 'shelter' leaves it up to each person's imagination and saying you 'can't afford to spend a couple thousand' on a trailer, leaves the feeling that you are wanting to build a rustic shelter (thin walls, tin roof and bare floors), without amenities for less than a couple thousand. That, doesn't leave much for niceties like insulation.

It seems like you are willing to spend more on the house, because you will have something left at the end, but not a trailer.

Understood, here is a 8x14 outbuilding we made for around 2000 dollars last fall, a big part of that was the earth roof, 2x6 T&G spruce is very expensive.

http://thehomesteadingboards.com/2012/03/our-earth-sheltered-greenhouse/

Nice thing about the process is it is just stacking one block at a time and you can go as fast or as slow as you want.

if you want to buy something and just have it delivered, these guys deliver throughout the state

http://www.hillviewminibarns.com/stock.php?style=Camp&submit_style=Show+This+Style&sort=price&locations=All

good luck

Thanks a bunch.

I think is the way you described it in the beginning.....

I think if you said 'simple one/two room House' then people would be thinking differently. Using the more generic word of 'shelter' leaves it up to each person's imagination and saying you 'can't afford to spend a couple thousand' on a trailer, leaves the feeling that you are wanting to build a rustic shelter (thin walls, tin roof and bare floors), without amenities for less than a couple thousand. That, doesn't leave much for niceties like insulation.

It seems like you are willing to spend more on the house, because you will have something left at the end, but not a trailer.

Okay. I see. By the time we are done with the building/shelter/cottage/whatever we will have more than a couple thousand in it. I just don't have the $$ to buy a travel trailer tomorrow (or next month) nor would I want to cause then I'll have to pay to have the thing removed and disposed of. Sounds like more of a headache and cost than living in a tent for a few months.

Chucki, I alluded in a post that I once lived in a converted school bus. I was 11, an only child and in PS, and even though my friends were completely freaked by the fact that I lived in a bus, I LOVED IT! Did I mention it was unfinished when we got it? I remember laying a sewage line with my mother, looking for appropriate low areas and drainage, building a deck out of pallets and particle board. We cleared the land ourselves, stacked the trees, eventually dug a pond right under the city inspector's nose, put in rustic chicken coops, layed fencing for my first horse. Heck I remember when we got our first power pole and meter. It was a magical time.

Eventually we built our dream house there. I was given a say in what was most important to me. I will be honest and say it was not a smooth transition. My mother ended up having another child and we ended up in a rental again for a season. It was not as cold a climate as you are describing, but it was a lot wetter which has challenges all it's own.

Is there anything stopping you from going back to a small rental if the going gets to rough? It would slow you down, but it is an option.

Just thought I would share a bit of what it was like for me and how few regrets I have. I do not know your dd, but not all kids would be miserable snowbound for a season. :D

I almost didn't survive 3 weeks without a refrigerator, so I can't even imagine what you are contemplating! :lol: If you do decide to do it, I wish you all the best!

Oh, we'd have electricity. And if we didn't it is almost time for everyone here to start using their outdoor 'fridges again.

I voted 'berry tarts' because I honestly don't know...

We're planning on doing something similar (literally listing our house tomorrow then looking for an acreage to buy), setting up a little shed to make do while we build. We also will probably have power but not water, and mainly use a wood fire stove for cooking/warmth, and no septic for a while (but that's DH's job!). But we'll be doing it in summer/autumn mostly, and it doesn't snow where we live, and we're both physically fine (albeit I'll be pregnant/have a newborn)...

So, I don't know. If it was short term and you had a back-up plan in case it really is NOT doable, I might try...

Yeah, we've lost 4 weeks this year and will lose at least two more before closing.

Okay. I see. By the time we are done with the building/shelter/cottage/whatever we will have more than a couple thousand in it. I just don't have the $$ to buy a travel trailer tomorrow (or next month) nor would I want to cause then I'll have to pay to have the thing removed and disposed of. Sounds like more of a headache and cost than living in a tent for a few months.

I think I understand now. I don't think I'd do it with my family (live in such a small space), but if you all can get along over the winter, then it might be worth it. I think you'd just have to plan the house layout well so that whatever you build now could be successfully integrated into the larger house later, and if it would eventually be plumbed, get all that in place during building, even if you won't have running water yet.

I'm not understanding how you have the money to buy the materials to build that, but not a trailer or other premade shelter? Maybe I'm missing something?

We don't have the money up front. It would be a pay as you go deal. We'd be buying materials roughly every two weeks.