Menu

Can anyone see the transit of Venus today?

I think Alaska, Hawaii, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and parts of China are in its path. Next opportunity is in 2117.

Of course we are expecting rain all day. :( We even bought the special glasses.

Ruth in NZ

Dh, Great Girl, Middle Girl, and Girls' Grandaddy are watching on the telescope viewing roof of the science building on campus. Wee Girl and I are watching via the UNM feed, while she alternates lying in bed looking listlessly at the computer screen and rushing for the toilet.

We are checking on it every now and then. When we first looked, Venus was at about 1:00/2:00 on the very, very edge of the sun. It is slowly moving towards center (or at least away from the edge). We are using our eclipse glasses we bought for, well, the eclipse. ;) The boys are interested, but only to go out every 10-15 minutes to take a look. They comment on the position and then come back inside. (They are amazed with how little Venus looks as compared to how the moon looked against the sun during the eclipse.)

I just showed ds5 a live showing on a news network online, and he was very unimpressed. Oh well.

I'm with him to be honest. I wouldn't have even bothered looking if it wasn't for this thread. It's a small black dot on a big white one. :tongue_smilie: Well, honestly, we really do think the size difference is pretty cool but none of us are sure it's worth looking at repeatedly, and DH worked on the space program in his younger days. Are we really that boring?

I'm with him to be honest. I wouldn't have even bothered looking if it wasn't for this thread. It's a small black dot on a big white one. :tongue_smilie: Well, honestly, we really do think the size difference is pretty cool but none of us are sure it's worth looking at repeatedly, and DH worked on the space program in his younger days. Are we really that boring?

It's much more impressive than that if you have the right equipment—like NASA.

pin hole camera..... not so good.

binoculars with welders filters... very good :001_smile:

and very, very small compared to the solar eclipse......

but still very cool. not 7 hours worth of cool, mind you, but cool....

ann

It was overcast all day, but cleared up to be a beautiful evening! We went to a local university that had a bunch of telescopes set up. The kids looked through several and then they had a fun physics demonstration for the children. It was a lot o fun! Much better than the disappointing eclipse that was too low in the horizon to see here.

We enjoyed it (me, DS6, DD5, and even DD3). The library had telescopes on the plaza. There was one large telescope with a long line and two telescopes with no line. Toward the middle, an astronomer used his telescope and eyepiece to project the transit onto an easel. The kids traced what they saw--a big round circle with a dark dot on the edge and a few lighter sunspots--this was my little one's favorite activity, We also had our own glasses. It wasn't can't turn away excitement, but it was good fun in small bits (view, go to the library, look again, visit the bookshop, wait in line, draw, go home).

Not as awesome as the eclipse but worth seeing.

Christine

We saw it! Ds8 made drawings of the position every hour. So five times he ran outside, found Venus' position in about five seconds, ran back in and drew what he saw, then went back to playing. The whole thing probably took an entire minute of his day, but he really enjoyed that minute!

Even though the little black dot wasn't necessarily super impressive (from a bigger is better point of view) the way it puts the solar system into perspective really hit me. Venus looked tiny in front of the sun, and that is looking at it as if they were both the same distance from Earth. But that the sun appears so much bigger than Venus even though it is much farther away was pretty crazy to think about while looking at it.

We saw it! It was awesome! The clouds parted at just the right time over Puget Sound and we spent a couple of hours looking at it through the Astronomical Society telescopes right next to the water. Gorgeous!

The kids drew pictures of what they saw through the sun scope, had a lesson with hands-on models of the sun and posters, and said it was the best day of their lives! :D Could not have ordered a better afternoon!