Menu

Spiders attack Indian town,

Why do I have this sneaking suspicion that FOX "News" may have sensationalized this story, and that maybe there really were not swarms of aggressive and highly venomous spiders attacking villages in mass?

Bill

.....because you allow your prejudices to blind you.

From an Indian source:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/environment/flora-fauna/tarantulas-invade-assam-town-kill-two/articleshow/13753398.cms

Why do I have this sneaking suspicion that FOX "News" may have sensationalized this story, and that maybe there really were not swarms of aggressive and highly venomous spiders attacking villages in mass?

Bill

It's easy enough to search for the story elsewhere. Did you?

Bill

Found the same story in the Hindustan news...eyewitnesses reported vicious attacks and swarms. So, it seems that despite the aversion to anything reported by Fox news, the story is legit.

Frankly, I have serious problems with venomous things and in particular, venomous things that choose to "pack hunt". No thanks.

Faith

Found the same story in the Hindustan news...eyewitnesses reported vicious attacks and swarms. So, it seems that despite the aversion to anything reported by Fox news, the story is legit.

Frankly, I have serious problems with venomous things and in particular, venomous things that choose to "pack hunt". No thanks.

Faith

The Hindustan Times article starts out: "Venomous spiders appear to have cast a web of terror in an alleged hub of Maoism in Assam."

The word "appear" should set off alarm bells, along with the rest of the sensationalist verbage. In the next line they compare the attack to a Hollywood movie. I'm deeply skeptical.

Did people get bitten by spiders in India? It appears so. Was it like some night-mare attack with swarms of venemous spipers over-running a village like something out of a Hollywood movie? I seriously doubt it.

Bill

.....because you allow your prejudices to blind you.

From an Indian source:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/environment/flora-fauna/tarantulas-invade-assam-town-kill-two/articleshow/13753398.cms

Nah, its because when I see leads claiming that villages have been "invaded by armies of eight legged freaks" I maintain a health dose of skepticism and critical thinking rather than giving into panic.

This appears like classic sensationalism.

Bill

The Hindustan Times article starts out: "Venomous spiders appear to have cast a web of terror in an alleged hub of Maoism in Assam."

The word "appear" should set off alarm bells, along with the rest of the sensationalist verbage. In the next line they compare the attack to a Hollywood movie. I'm deeply skeptical.

Did people get bitten by spiders in India? It appears so. Was it like some night-mare attack with swarms of venemous spipers over-running a village like something out of a Hollywood movie? I seriously doubt it.

Bill

And the Economic Times (of India) states:

Over two weeks ago, an army of eight-legged freaks invaded it. It all happened in the evening on May 8. Most of the inhabitants of Chaulkhowa Nagaon village had been to a Bihu function. When the programme drew to a close, swarms of spiders suddenly descended from nowhere and started biting the people. The festive mood soon turned into one of panic with people bumping into each other and tripping over empty benches in their frantic bid to egress.

Just to be certain that you understand the source, this is the Times of India (Environmental section)

This is almost Pavlovian, anytime anyone links to FOX News we see a comment from you denigrating the source FOX News. Ding ding ding FOXNEWS dot com Ding ding ding

Nah, its because when I see leads claiming that villages have been "invaded by armies of eight legged freaks" I maintain a health dose of skepticism and critical thinking rather than giving into panic.

This appears like classic sensationalism.

Bill

Why don't you visit the town on a fact-finding mission and report back to us with the truth about whether the spiders do in fact appear in swarms and whether they are highly aggressive? ;)

Why don't you visit the town on a fact-finding mission and report back to us with the truth about whether the spiders do in fact appear in swarms and whether they are highly aggressive? ;)

:lol:

I'm seriously freaked about the idea of masses of attacking spiders. I wouldn't mind it being untrue!

And the Economic Times (of India) states:

Over two weeks ago, an army of eight-legged freaks invaded it. It all happened in the evening on May 8. Most of the inhabitants of Chaulkhowa Nagaon village had been to a Bihu function. When the programme drew to a close, swarms of spiders suddenly descended from nowhere and started biting the people. The festive mood soon turned into one of panic with people bumping into each other and tripping over empty benches in their frantic bid to egress.

Just to be certain that you understand the source, this is the Times of India (Environmental section)

This is almost Pavlovian, anytime anyone links to FOX News we see a comment from you denigrating the source FOX News. Ding ding ding FOXNEWS dot com Ding ding ding

If you put credence in stories that start out by talking about invasions by armies of eight-legged freaks, then you and I have different standards of journalism that we find likely to be credible.

The photo that accompanied the article (which showed a Trantuala on a computer keyboard) as if it was representative of the eight legged freaks—which it clearly is not—does not help the credibility factor.

When "news" organization habitually misrepresent stories, as it the case with FOX, it is rational to question the veracity of stories that seem incredulous on their face.

Bill

If you put credence in stories that start out by talking about invasions by armies of eight-legged freaks, then you and I have different standards of journalism that we find likely to be credible.

The photo that accompanied the article (which showed a Trantuala on a computer keyboard) as if it was representative of the eight legged freaks—which it clearly is not—does not help the credibility factor.

When "news" organization habitually misrepresent stories, as it the case with FOX, it is rational to question the veracity of stories that seem incredulous on their face.

Bill

This is a news story that is being reported, by multiple sources.

It is being carried in India, in the US, in Australia and other places as well.

Your prejudice against FOX is what you led off with. It appears that FOX is carrying the same story as multiple other sources, including ones in India. Continue with your diatribe, derail the thread, do what you will but realize that this is becoming rather repetitive.

The point of the post was an interest item given that many posters here seem to delight in pictures of spiders in the yard, nothing more. You have generated unnecessary disagreement and debate when none was needed or called for.

Ding ding ding.

I

Bill

The scientists who have seen the spiders suspect they are a type of tarantula (or a funnel web or black wishbone), so the stock photo is at the very least representative of these spiders.

ETA: This seems to be the original news story.

Edited by WordGirl

This is a news story that is being reported, by multiple sources.

It is being carried in India, in the US, in Australia and other places as well.

Your prejudice against FOX is what you led off with. It appears that FOX is carrying the same story as multiple other sources, including ones in India. Continue with your diatribe, derail the thread, do what you will but realize that this is becoming rather repetitive.

The point of the post was an interest item given that many posters here seem to delight in pictures of spiders in the yard, nothing more. You have generated unnecessary disagreement and debate when none was needed or called for.

Ding ding ding.

It is best to keep ones "thinking cap" on. If you want to put credence in clearly sensationalist reporting, go ahead. I'll wait for "the real story."

Bill

Bill

Ever hear of Pavlov, Bill! You have a classic case, your bell is Fox, you begin salivating immediately. :D

I've been checking out science websites as these are my favorite places to frequent anyway. The story is legit. 20 people were hospitalized, more were treated and released, and two died. Swarm they did...people had multiple bites from multiple spiders.

The evil beasts come from Myanmar and have a deadly neurotoxin that children are especially vulnerable to.

So, having verified it through scientific inquest, and yes they are eight legged scary little beasts that do resemble tarantulas and when they bite, DO NOT LET GO, doctors reporting that one has to be very careful removing the fangs, I for one would like to stay a healthy distance from such creatures and when several villagers who were bitten describe them as swarming, then I'll have to conclude that there is some reason to believe they did just exactly that.

Faith

I am suspicious of all crazy stories from India including sculptures that drink milk.

No poisonous spiders in Assam: Experts

By our Staff Reporter

GUWAHATI, May 31: Experts have brushed aside the fear of poisonous spiders which has engulfed people in many parts of Assam, especially in Sadiya.

Villagers in Sadiya area bordering Arunachal Pradesh recently claimed to be under attack from swarms of poisonous nocturnal spiders after a middle-aged man, Purnakanta Buragohain, and a young boy called Rituraj Gogoi reportedly died of spider bite. In the next few days, people in a few other villages in the area also reported spider attacks. Soon this fear spread and people in other parts of the State started killing black spiders, supposedly belonging to the Black Widow species. However, three experts who conducted a study in Sadiya on May 22 and May 23 have claimed that no poisonous spiders can be found in Assam. These experts are Dibrugarh University Life Science Department Head LR Saikia, Assistant Professor in Margherita College, Rajib Tariang and Gauhati University Zoology Department student Phalgun Chetia.

Talking to The Sentinel, Phalgun Chetia said, “The Black Widow spider cannot be found in Assam. The two persons died of other reasons. Their bodies were not sent for post-mortem. There is no evidence that they died of spider bite.â€

LR Saikia said, “No poisonous spiders are there in Assam. We have sent the black spiders found in Sadiya to the Indian Society of Arachnology in Maharashtra for detailed study of the species.â€

---

Spider-bite deaths doubtful: experts

SIVASISH THAKUR

*GUWAHATI, June 1 – Even as the State seems to be under the grip of a spider-phobia – thanks to irresponsible reporting by a section of the media – experts studying the two recent ‘spider-bite’ deaths have ruled out spider venom as a possible cause of the fatalities.

Dr LR Saikia, Head of the Dept of Life Sciences, Dibrugarh University, told The Assam Tribune that in the case of the death of Purnakanta Buragohain of Chaolkhowa-Nagaon, Sadiya, in Tinsukia district, none was sure that he was actually bitten by a spider.

“None including the deceased himself had seen any spider biting him. And from the nature of the wound and its after-effects, it seemed to be a case of snake bite, especially krait. Nothing, however, can be conclusively said, as no post-mortem was done,†Dr Saikia said.

On the second death, i.e., of Rituraj Gogoi of the same area, and widely attributed to a spider bite, Dr Saikia said that Gogoi was bitten by ‘something’ when he had put his hand into a termite mound.

“None could be sure what bit him, and in this case also the inflictor of the wound is likely to be a snake or even a rodent,†he said.

Apart from these two incidents, there have been 10-12 cases of reported spider bites in different parts of the State but none have proved to be fatal. Scientists believe that till date there is no evidence of the presence of any venomous spider in Assam.

“We would like to appeal to the people not to be panicky and indulge in a spider-killing spree. A spider can bite a human but that cannot be fatal. The media should also report in a responsible manner in such circumstances,†Dr Saikia said.

Dr Saikia said that some people were allergic to spider bites and this, together with the shock of a bite, could lead to some complications following a bite.

“In Assam, there is no evidence of any tarantula-like spider but we are also looking into the possibilities of any unrecorded or exotic species making a sudden appearance. The samples of the spiders caught or killed are being studied for the purpose,†he added.

Ever hear of Pavlov, Bill! You have a classic case, your bell is Fox, you begin salivating immediately. :D

I've been checking out science websites as these are my favorite places to frequent anyway. The story is legit. 20 people were hospitalized, more were treated and released, and two died. Swarm they did...people had multiple bites from multiple spiders.

The evil beasts come from Myanmar and have a deadly neurotoxin that children are especially vulnerable to.

So, having verified it through scientific inquest, and yes they are eight legged scary little beasts that do resemble tarantulas and when they bite, DO NOT LET GO, doctors reporting that one has to be very careful removing the fangs, I for one would like to stay a healthy distance from such creatures and when several villagers who were bitten describe them as swarming, then I'll have to conclude that there is some reason to believe they did just exactly that.

Faith

Some people in India were bitten by spiders at a festival. But were villages invaded by armies of eight-legged freaks? I highly doubt it.

Define "swarm."

Bill

I didn't click on the link, but it sounds like it's different from this one:

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/18685901/two-people-dead-after-swarms-of-venomous-spiders-invade-indian-town

If you read to the end of the brief article, it appears that they don't even know if the spiders are poisonous or if it was the "treatment" which killed the two who died.

Can't find any mention of this in the NY Times yet.

I am suspicious of all crazy stories from India including sculptures that drink milk.

By our Staff Reporter

GUWAHATI, May 31: Experts have brushed aside the fear of poisonous spiders which has engulfed people in many parts of Assam, especially in Sadiya.

And people wonder why I'm skeptical of FOX "News."

A good rule of thumb with FOX is that is a story sounds "incredible" it probably is.

Thanks for the information.

Bill

And people wonder why I'm skeptical of FOX "News."

A good rule of thumb with FOX is that is a story sounds "incredible" it probably is.

Thanks for the information.

Bill

If you had read the story in the first link you might have seen this.

Ding ding ding..

Dr. Anil Phatowali, superintendent of the town's hospital, said they had not administered antivenin as they could not be certain the spider was venomous at all.

He also pointed out other factors may have contributed to the two reported fatalities.

"All the bite patients first went to witch doctors, who cut open their wounds with razors, drained out blood and burnt it. That could have also made them sick," Phatowali said. -FROM THE FOX STORY

It further references the source as being the Time of India.

The references from Stripe's link certainly support what is stated in the FOX report. There is a belief that spiders have swarmed towns. There is a belief that spiders killed and JUST as FOX reported there was no certainty that the spiders were poisonous at all. Nothing said that there had not been swarms in the one town.

As you said keep your "thinking cap" on, do not be blinded by prejudice.

A good rule of thumb is to read the entire story and not to jump to conclusions.

Edited by pqr

If you had read the story in the first link you might have seen this.

Ding ding ding..

Dr. Anil Phatowali, superintendent of the town's hospital, said they had not administered antivenin as they could not be certain the spider was venomous at all.

He also pointed out other factors may have contributed to the two reported fatalities.

"All the bite patients first went to witch doctors, who cut open their wounds with razors, drained out blood and burnt it. That could have also made them sick," Phatowali said. -FROM THE FOX STORY

It further references the source as being the Time of India.

The references from Stripe's link certainly support what is stated in the FOX report. There is a belief that spiders have swarmed towns. There is a belief that spiders killed and JUST as FOX reported there was no certainty that the spiders were poison at all. Nothing said that there had not been swarms in the one town.

As you said keep your "thinking cap" on, do not be blinded by prejudice.

The news is still coming out on this so there will be more.

A good rule of thumb is to read the entire story and not to jump to conclusions.

I read the report. I saw that they buried the likelihood that these are not venomous spiders after engaging in the sensationalist journalism that is typical of this outlet.

Bill

I read the report. I saw that they buried the likelihood that these are not venomous spiders after engaging in the sensationalist journalism that is typical of this outlet.

Bill

Buried it in a 38 line story???? The section that I quoted about there being doubt was 8 lines (over 20% of the story) and I did not quote everything. How do you bury anything in a 38 line story? The entire story is 388 words and some 100+ throw doubt on the spiders being poisonous.

Blind prejudice.......ding ding ding

Edited by pqr

Buried it in a 38 line story???? The section that I quoted about there being doubt was 8 lines (over 20% of the story) and I did not quote everything. How do you bury anything in a 38 line story?

Blind prejudice.......ding ding ding

Certainly there is confirmation bias at play.

Well, I want a prize for managing to have both pqr and Spy Car think I am supporting their perspective!

Actually, I'm on the side of those who are glad they are far, far away from any swarms of giant spider freaks, real or imagined.

FOX Headline:

2 people dead after swarms of venomous spiders invade Indian town

Actual story:

Spiders likely not venomous

Bill

Your issue is with an attention grabbing headline? This is the only concern you have with the story? Really?

Other headlines, not FOX

‘Tarantulas’ invade Assam town, ‘kill’ two- Times of India (SOURCE OF FOX REPORT)

Swarm of spiders kill two

Two people die after swarms of deadly spiders invade Indian town

it would seem then that headlines are supposed to "grab" the reader. Have you not noticed that this is standard practice? This is not only FOX or some other network that attempts to grab attention, it is ALL networks. If your angst with FOX is simply that they use headlines to grab attention then it is with all media (and then we might be in agreement).

You now appear to agree that the information in the body was factual, so we once again see a Pavlovian reaction to FOX rather than reason or thought.

ding ding ding.

By the way I also posted a FOX link on the thread about Earhart, you may need to go there and rail against FOX as well

ding ding ding

Now returning to an interesting story of a belief that spiders are attacking in India.

Edited by pqr

Interesting story. We have 13 year locust here which are not destrucitve at all, but when they emerge it is an amazing event. For several weeks our neighborhood had a high pitch thrum that reminded me of an X-Files episode. And although the bugs themselves are not dangerous they did have creepy demon red eyes. http://www.whatsthatbug.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/13_year_locust_20110416.jpg

I also visited, as a teen, a canyon in Texas, that appeared to filled with tarantulas. I remember the natives we asked about these less than charming wildlife, telling us we should see it in breeding season. I'm still not sure if they were pulling our legs or not. Having also read historical historical accounts of grasshopper type locust in the west, descend and destroy everything. I can only imagine even a small hoard of spiders on the prowl.

Bill

Hmm... I thought that was CNN's job. I must be confused.

I will NOT share this story with my extremely arachnophobic mother!

For the record, a poisonous spider would hurt you if you ate it. A venomous spider would hurt you if it bit you. There's a difference.

So I guess you could have no poisonous spiders in Assam, but have venomous spiders.

It's sounding like the spider bites themselves may not be deadly, but unfortunately the two who died were cremated so autopsies can't be done. The second link, a TIME website article, suggests that the venom may not be deadly, but may be causing an allergic reaction which is then fatal.

http://news.yahoo.com/biting-spiders-panic-northeast-india-doctors-bad-wound-133028264.html

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/06/04/mysterious-poisonous-spiders-invade-indian-town/

Although they haven't identified them for sure, it sounds like these may have come from Australia.