Menu

Is the a less expensive way to replace windows?

My house is dying a slow death. We rebuilt the roof and two bathrooms after a tree fell on us. Systems are breaking down. We're hemmorhaging money and today, in an attempt to close the windows before a storm hit, I broke one of our antiquated windows. They're wood framed, single pane, and 40 years old.

Does there exist an economical way to replace them? Can I just get a handyman to do it one room at a time as I can afford it? What do you all recommend?

How old are your kids? My pastor got all of his windows replaced through an incentive program through the city. It was in effort to help reduce lead paint exposure to young children. I can't remember what the age limit was but at least under five.

Not sure if that applies to your area but just a thought...

We have custom wood windows... Over twenty of them.. And they all need to be replaced. :tongue_smilie:

We found someone through local contractors that will rebuild the window with new glass and fix all the framing. It's still not cheap, but it's about half the price of windows bought through a hardware store, especially if you have any goofy shaped or sized ones.

If you pick a standard white or black window, then you should be good even if it takes years to replace them all. We had a window replaced two years ago for $200 including the window and labor. Look around for local guys, even better buy your window from somewhere like Trisupply (or other contractor place), and ask them for recommendations for a contractor to put it in. That is what we did, and it was much cheaper than the box stores for a nicer window.

We are in the process of getting this done on the very old (around 100 years) house we are selling. If you are alright with replacing just the glass, you can get that done fairly inexpensively. I think we might be paying $20 or $30 a window, but were going through a friend of a friend kind of thing. That is the route we are taking. We were looking at $10,000 to replace all of the windows in the house with new double hung windows, including installing the new frames.

Do you have a small, local hardware store? They probably do glass. We've had two windows bread and it was a cheap fix. If you look closely at where the glass goes in, you should be able to figure out how to put the new piece in. Ours had a moulding, but that was pretty mch gone, so we used these little, metal things that slide into the groove and hold the glass in place. That and caulk and it's done.

You may be able to save the frame and just have them put new glass in and remount it. Def. a job for someone who knows what they are doing.

For brand new window, frames and all, it is not cheap. The only way I personally know to do it cheaper is to have my brother who used to install windows for a living help me to knock off some labor costs. Given that not all of us have brothers who dropped out and installed windows instead of going to college, that is clearly not a solution for all. :tongue_smilie:

I think the window broke because the the wood got all old and weak and warpy and when I pulled the window closed, the wood sections separated and broke the glass. Boooo! I can't look at it now because I covered the window with plastic to weather this storm we're getting in the mid-atlantic.

Our electric company, one of the gas companies, and the Community Services Organization provide incentives and rebates for new windows in homes. You may call them and ask what is required. I know the CSO is income based but I don't know what those guidelines are.

Actually, reglazing windows is super easy. Pull out the still-clinging chunks of glass, scrape out the glazing compound (like putty, on the exterior surface, probably painted about 3 million times, if your house is as old as ours), plop the new pane in, push in glazing points, put in new putty. Really, maybe an hour.

We've replaced sash cords that the former owners were so sweet as to cut so they could put in those super-excellent (<sarcasm) metal tracks, too. Also easy, and a good opportunity to insulate the weight channels.

You can find replacement windows fairly inexpensively and you can do one room at a time. The only caveat is that if your windows are not standard size, you will be paying for custom windows, which is very expensive. My friend needs to replace her windows but every window is a custom size and each windows is about $1000.

My dh replaced all the windows in our house by himself. They are not hard to do. You could probably find the instructions on the internet or youtube.

We only got a a few at a time because we had nowhere to store a bunch.

Is your dh really handy? I am considering trying to replace a window I broke a while ago. Thing is, I'm the handy one. It'd all be me. If something went wrong, we'd have a gaping hole! I am handy. Quite handy, actually! I love tackling a project. Just nervous about a window!

My dh replaced all the windows in our house by himself. They are not hard to do. You could probably find the instructions on the internet or youtube.

My husband hired a contractor to come and work with him to replace a bay window. He did all the prep work himself and then the contractor showed him how to install the window. It was much cheaper than paying for the whole job.

Actually, reglazing windows is super easy. Pull out the still-clinging chunks of glass, scrape out the glazing compound (like putty, on the exterior surface, probably painted about 3 million times, if your house is as old as ours), plop the new pane in, push in glazing points, put in new putty. Really, maybe an hour.

We've replaced sash cords that the former owners were so sweet as to cut so they could put in those super-excellent (<sarcasm) metal tracks, too. Also easy, and a good opportunity to insulate the weight channels.

I didn't understand a word you said!

Is your dh really handy? I am considering trying to replace a window I broke a while ago. Thing is, I'm the handy one. It'd all be me. If something went wrong, we'd have a gaping hole! I am handy. Quite handy, actually! I love tackling a project. Just nervous about a window!

:lol: :lol: :lol: DH isn't much for manual labor. He can fix our computers. :D

After reading these responses, I'm beginning to wonder if we couldn't buy ourselves some time by just repairing the frame and slipping new glass in. I wish it wasn't on the upper floor. :glare:

Our windows aren't custom, but they're big. Here are the two sizes in my house. We have seven of the small ones and five of the big ones.

9a8bbd2f.jpg

3da5e164.jpg

Thanks for all of the responses.

We were able to order windows through Lowes. It is the entire aluminum framed window, so the old frame must be removed before the new can go in. They were around $100 each. My DH was able to replace them as he is very handy.

ETA, we found out that replacing the glass alone was nearly twice as much as just replacing the entire window.

You can come practice on this old house. :D

Replacing them one at a time (one window or one room, whatever you can afford) is fine. Pick something basic. Basic windows in white frames are not going to disappear from the market in the next few years, kwim?

Those would be pretty easy to replace yourself. You'll want your husband's help (or a friend, or a teenage child) just because it's awkward to handle a window alone. It doesn't take a lot of handyman skills to do!

Depending on how old your house is- it is very easy. We did ours in a weekend, 22 windows.

We replaced our windows ourselves. Seriously easy! If you buy them from Home Depot or Lowe's you are almost 100% sure that they will always carry the windows you need. If you have really big windows that they do not carry in the store you will have to order them. We replaced our upstairs at one time and then downstairs at another time. There is no reason you can not do them one at a time. A handyman should also be able to replace one at a time. I am with you on the house dying a slow death, good luck!!

We replaced our windows ourselves. We bought them all at once and then did a room every weekend, so it took several weeks, but it wasn't hard at all. I think the windows we got averaged about $150 each with a few additional supplies (weather stripping, shims, caulk, etc.).

We replaced all of our windows ourselves a few years back.

We have ten very large, non-standard size windows and a slider, in our small 1166 sq ft house. We ordered from Home Depot all at once, with a big sale, coupon, no sales tax weekend, and open a line of credit and get a rebate. I think all the planets had to be in alignment, too. The scary part is measuring and making sure you are measuring correctly before you order. Home Depot has a service where they will come out & measure for free if you are going to order several windows. Then they guarantee the windows will fit.

They were delivered all at once & lived in the garage until Dh could get to them one at a time. Dh is pretty handy and I did the grunt work of slapping the windows into the hole and holding them steady while he put in the screws.

We did ask several friends over to put in the slider. It is huge.

It has made a huge difference in energy savings and noise reduction.

Amber in SJ

I would just replace the glass. In winter I'd hang heavy curtains or a quilt.

Glass is a heat loss anyway and even the best windows make only a relatively small difference in energy savings. The most important thing is to ensure your windows don't have drafts. Replace the pane and then caulk around the windows on the outside, remove the trim and insulate around them on the inside and make sure they're draft-free. If you make sure your older windows are draft free and in good shape then you've probably done 80 to 90 percent of what putting in new windows could accomplish.

Edited by WishboneDawn