Menu

7:45 am-solicitor at the door???????

scared me to death. she knocked several times, twice very loudly. i answered because i thought it might be a neighbor needing help. she looked like one of the college kids selling books. needless to say, i sent her away & told her that it is a posted non-solicitation neighborhood. called the non-emergency police number and they sent a car out to make sure she had a permit. the dispatcher told me they can't enforce neighborhood non-solicitation!? and it wasn't even the meat truck-i'm so disappointed!!!

I probably wouldn't think of it at the time, but it would be good in those situations to collect the information to make a complaint call to the company.

We get kids dressed like thugs coming around at 9 pm soliciting for some charity. I've told them it's too late to be knocking on doors and now I don't answer. I just let our dog bark loudly at them till they go away.

Sure she wasn't casing the place? We had a spate of break-ins in our neighborhood recently where the would-be robbers would knock on the door offering some service--don't remember now what--but if they didn't get an answer would break in and steal stuff. :(

doesn't your city have hours for soliciation? surely they can enforce working outside those city standard hours (even if they don't want to enforce neighborhoods)? (and I"m positive it's NOT before 8am.)

Sounds like a student seller with the Southwestern Company. I remember those days well, and how I hated knocking on doors so early in the morning, per the guidelines. (Usually I didn't, LOL.) FWIW, the Southwestern Company is a decent company, but they do have some rather tough guidelines for their student sellers. I don't know if it's changed since I did it, but the students work strictly on commission, and many of them are miles and miles from home. I lived in NC and worked in California for the summer selling books. Never did it again, either, although my brother did it for several years.

Sure she wasn't casing the place? We had a spate of break-ins in our neighborhood recently where the would-be robbers would knock on the door offering some service--don't remember now what--but if they didn't get an answer would break in and steal stuff. :(

Yes, that was the pretext in our area during a rash of break ins.

Do you have an intercom? If you do, you can turn away the person while letting them know home is occupied.

We leave our front window open this time of year, and my kids ALWAYS go screaming down the hall, "MOM SOMEONE'S HERE, CAN I ANSWER THE DOOR, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!?!??!" I hate it, I'd rather hide.

Once my husband yelled, "NO, WE'RE STILL QUARANTINED, IT WILL TAKE ANOTHER COUPLE OF DAYS FOR ALL THE HERPES ON YOUR FACE TO CLEAR UP!!!" By the time I got to the door, no one was there. But I haven't had the nerve to try it myself.

scared me to death. she knocked several times, twice very loudly. i answered because i thought it might be a neighbor needing help. she looked like one of the college kids selling books. needless to say, i sent her away & told her that it is a posted non-solicitation neighborhood. called the non-emergency police number and they sent a car out to make sure she had a permit. the dispatcher told me they can't enforce neighborhood non-solicitation!? and it wasn't even the meat truck-i'm so disappointed!!!

Geeez. I'd be very tempted to let him have it.

the dispatcher told me they can't enforce neighborhood non-solicitation!?

Neighborhood rules are normally set by HOAs, not the the local govt, so the HOA would be responsible for enforcement.

LOL I've yet to see the meat truck guys. hehehe I can't believe someone was trying to make sales that early in the morning! That is nowhere near a respectable hour to be knocking on doors "twice, very loudly". :glare:

Edited by Ibbygirl

I just let the dog bark until they leave. I have a window where I can peek to see if I know the person. The only ferocious thing about my dog is his bark, but strangers don't know that. :D

We have side lights next to our doors, and I wish I could cover them with something but it wouldn't look right.

When I can tell it is a solicitor, I go over, look out the side light, they see me and I just turn around and walk away LOL. They are probably like :001_huh:. Fortunately we have a foyer area so you cannot see the rest of the house just from looking in.

My mean neighbors (they ARE mean, but they like me because I pull their weeds) have a door mat that says "Go Away."

Wow. If she had knocked on my door that early in the morning I would given her a rant the likes of which she had never heard before and wouldn't soon forget.

:iagree: I am not liable for my behavior before 10 am. I am not a morning person and would have had a baby rudely awakened and a frantic barking mutt. I probably would have thrown a shoe at them. Ok, maybe not, but I would have been close.

We leave our front window open this time of year, and my kids ALWAYS go screaming down the hall, "MOM SOMEONE'S HERE, CAN I ANSWER THE DOOR, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!?!??!" I hate it, I'd rather hide.

Once my husband yelled, "NO, WE'RE STILL QUARANTINED, IT WILL TAKE ANOTHER COUPLE OF DAYS FOR ALL THE HERPES ON YOUR FACE TO CLEAR UP!!!" By the time I got to the door, no one was there. But I haven't had the nerve to try it myself.

This is hilarious!! Fortunately for us, we live in a rural area, and have only had a couple of solicitors in 10 years.

We have a window right by our front door. If someone comes to the door I will check to see who it is (sometimes) and if I don't know them will just shut the curtain and walk away.

Crazy bathchair woman has taken to coming by without asking first so now I usually don't even check, I just ignore if I'm not expecting anyone.

Personally, I think she was casing the place to see if anyone was home.

I never open the door for anyone I don't know. I don't care if they're good people, bad people, or on fire.

If it ever seemed like an emergency situation, I'd call 911 for someone, but that's as far as I would go. There's no need for anyone to be on our little cul-de-sac unless they're visiting one of our neighbors, in which case, they would have no reason to be at my door. I know I sound cold and heartless, but too many home invasions start with an innocent looking young woman knocking on the door... and her friends are hiding in the bushes nearby.