Menu

History Planning With SOTW Ridiculous Vent!

pbt1294

I actually was looking hard at the Biblioplan books to help me with SOTW next year. I've got little boys, and little boys like to look, so I really have to find resources that are well illustrated with realistic pictures. They've got a low tolerance for the cartoon-look.

I'd be interested to know how those using the Biblioplan found it to work for them. I was hoping that there would be plenty of book suggestions so that I could know what to look for. As it is, I sort of skim the chapters ahead of time, figure out about what I might be looking for and then I go to the library and hunt around for something that might work. I also am not beyond hitting the vintage selections for information on people to add to our SOTW work.

I don't really care for the style of SOTW, but I've got to admit that the information is really good as a spine for me.

I'm really very much a seat-of-my-pants sort of planner. Putting everything on a spreadsheet would gag me. (But my DH would spend hours putting one together for me! He loves them.)

Not trying to hijack, but I saw Biblioplan mentioned and nobody followed up on it.

An excel spreadsheet can tell you that. As I said, I put it all in HST+, and just assigned it every 3 days. Easy peasy. You can do that with a spreadsheet or something else also.

Which is exactly what I do. :D Although HST drives me nuts. I just disagree that it is overthinking things. I like my spreadsheets pretty, because I like everything creative, so I take my time and format it. :)

Wow! This has turned into a quite a cool and informative thread!!! And me????? Overthink things?????? ***gasp**** NEVER!!!!!:lol:

I actually spent about 30 min looking at HST, yesterday, but I just don't think I'm "techy" enough for it.

What is Biblo....whatever??? I'm getting ready to check that out too.

I actually spent agood bit of time looking at different planners as welll as SOTW lesson plans.

Wow! This has turned into a quite a cool and informative thread!!!

It really has! Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

I could never plan as much as most of you (not that you overthink things. at all. ever. :tongue_smilie:), but we're lucky to have a couple really good libraries nearby and lots of time to meander through the ancient world.

If someone wants it I could print out my lesson plan for SOTW 1 from HST+ as a pdf file. I have planned it out with detail to chapter 12 so far, using activities from the AG that would suit my children's interests.

As others have mentioned I don't do all the activities, and even if it is in the "schedule" it doesn't always happen. And I only put in library books as I find them at my library, so usually put in after we have read them.

I submit the lessons to my students on a Monday, Wednesday cycle and science is covered Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

I do agree with another poster that you can easily burn out with too much organising. By the time I enter all of the materials into HST+ I am just about toasted and don't want to see the books again for a very long time. Add photocopying and collecting materials together and I am totally done. I struggle with this each year and find it hard to start the year looking forward to using those resources.

Thank you to others for sharing how you do things. I thought I would skim this thread for ideas but it has been much more interesting than I thought and has taken a big chunk of my day. :-)

Best wishes

Jen in Oz

Which is exactly what I do. :D Although HST drives me nuts. I just disagree that it is overthinking things. I like my spreadsheets pretty, because I like everything creative, so I take my time and format it. :)

I didn't say YOU were overthinking things. I said the OP was, searching and searching and searching for the perfect lesson plan already made for her. I think she's spending more time searching for an already-made plan than it would have taken her to make one herself in Excel, and the one she made would be the perfect lesson plan for her. ;)

SOTW is not hard to plan, and it doesn't take a lot of time. Just go through and pick the books that your library has (online card catalog), pick the project(s) you want to do, stick it in an excel spreadsheet in order, print out anything you want to print (coloring pages, mapwork, and the like). Then you're done and ready for the year. It's not like you have to read all the books and figure out what order to put them and which books to read on what day. Use a library book basket and pick from there each day for some snuggle-on-the-couch time. They will already be coordinated with the chapter you're reading.

I have no problem with pretty Excel spreadsheets. I've remade my Sonlight schedules in Word myself. :lol: (while still putting them into HST+... overkill? Absolutely :D)

As a former Heart of Dakota user planning our first year with SOTW, I am going through the same issues. HOD is laid out for you by day, and is entirely open and go. I LOVED having my planning done ahead of time, but realized I don't quite love having everything scripted and inflexible. What I decided is to actually make my own Guide for the entire year this summer. I'm using SOTW 1 and Activity Guide as my spine, but also including the Veritas Press Timeline cards to add in a bit more Biblical History. I only have a few weeks done but it is turning out awesome, if I can be so blunt :-). If you are doing ancients, and are interested in taking a look, PM me and I could email you what I have. It probably won't be complete until the end of July, though. But maybe it'll give you an idea of how to work your own.

If someone wants it I could print out my lesson plan for SOTW 1 from HST+ as a pdf file. I have planned it out with detail to chapter 12 so far, using activities from the AG that would suit my children's interests.

As others have mentioned I don't do all the activities, and even if it is in the "schedule" it doesn't always happen. And I only put in library books as I find them at my library, so usually put in after we have read them.

I submit the lessons to my students on a Monday, Wednesday cycle and science is covered Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

I do agree with another poster that you can easily burn out with too much organising. By the time I enter all of the materials into HST+ I am just about toasted and don't want to see the books again for a very long time. Add photocopying and collecting materials together and I am totally done. I struggle with this each year and find it hard to start the year looking forward to using those resources.

Thank you to others for sharing how you do things. I thought I would skim this thread for ideas but it has been much more interesting than I thought and has taken a big chunk of my day. :-)

Best wishes

Jen in Oz

Ok....so how the Heck does one plan on HST+.??? This program has driven me completely batty for years. I sit and enter, enter, enter...then get sick of it and just use it for attendance! :confused:

Don't mean to hijack......but I am really curious how you got this thing to work!

As a former Heart of Dakota user planning our first year with SOTW, I am going through the same issues. HOD is laid out for you by day, and is entirely open and go. I LOVED having my planning done ahead of time, but realized I don't quite love having everything scripted and inflexible. What I decided is to actually make my own Guide for the entire year this summer. I'm using SOTW 1 and Activity Guide as my spine, but also including the Veritas Press Timeline cards to add in a bit more Biblical History. I only have a few weeks done but it is turning out awesome, if I can be so blunt :-). If you are doing ancients, and are interested in taking a look, PM me and I could email you what I have. It probably won't be complete until the end of July, though. But maybe it'll give you an idea of how to work your own.

OP here! We used Heart of Dakota too! Love those plans laid out for me. And I also agree with the other poster who said I could have already planned SOTW by now if I hadn't wasted so much time looking and looking! LOL! I don't have my new AG yet though. I have the AG guide for SOTW 2.

Maybe after I make my plan and fix my student workbooks/notebooks I'll share with everyone. :001_smile:

I HATE PLANNING!!!

I started a thread last week about lesson plans for SOTW and got some really great helps. Although some are soooo tempting none of them are EXACTLY what I want. I have downloaded at least 6 different lesson plans!

You have to understand that I was a Sonlight user for years. I LOVED the IGs. I really liked having my week laid out for me and I had confindence in knowing that everything was planned out. My kiddos wanted more activities, however, and I found myself saying that I didn't have time for any because there was sooooo much reading to do.

So what I want are weekly lesson plans using SOTW Vol. 1 as the main spine with one of the other books that are linked to it in the Activity Guides. I want the plans to include Activities from the Activity guide lined up for me. I have this vision of weekly scheduled pages with the read alouds that are listed in the activity guides along with maybe a few other great literary picks. I can see a completed notebook using the activity guide pages at the end of the year. I think it also might be cool to turn the student pages into a spiral bound "workbook" at the beginning of the year.

Every schedule seems to have SOTW scheduled with a diff. history or something. They all have aspects that I love, like one has the activities lined up for you. One has comprehension questions and vocabulary all there for you with the answers. One has scheduled just SOTW and one of the Usborne books (what I want) but doesn't use the activity guide.

I know, I know, I should just plan my own schedule, but I have 7 kiddos including a 2 month old who nurses constantly! Can't someone just read my mind and write it for me?????:tongue_smilie:

I, too, HATE planning. So, I don't do it. Just grab a highlighter and a stack of post-its and go through a few pages at a time in the Activity Guide. Highlight the books you want to pick up at the library and a few activities you want to do then write down the books on a post-it and stick it to the cover and write down the items you need to pick up and the lesson you need it for and stick that on the cover. That's all I do as far as SOTW planning.

Highlighters and post-its are your friend! :)

I'm a planner (somewhere in the middle between boscopup & Mommasheep).

I have to have something to guide me on crazy days (most of them around here), but don't like to be tied to a schedule that says I have to do something on X week.

I think it depends on your personality & how many kids you are trying to school. IMO, it is much harder to fly by the seat of your pants with five kids than one or two. And seven? :willy_nilly:

I, actually, love planning. However, I don't make detailed lesson plans because I always feel so tied down when I do. I did write a post just this week about SOTW 1 in elementary school and briefly outlined what we did when the kids were younger. In middle school we do much the same except they read more and outline etc.

Here it is: http://learnonpurpose.blogspot.com/search/label/Elementary%20Years

SOTW IS planned already. All we did was follow along with the Activity Guide.

OP here! We used Heart of Dakota too! Love those plans laid out for me. And I also agree with the other poster who said I could have already planned SOTW by now if I hadn't wasted so much time looking and looking! :001_smile:

YES! I totally get this!!!!:tongue_smilie:

This must be a HOD user hangup!! ;) LHFHG was a great K overview of History. I love HOD but I've had my heart set on studying Ancients this next year. I have been spoiled by the HOD schedule, but found that it wasn't exactly what I wanted in each subject, but it was great in other ways. I kept telling my husband that I should write my own plans like HOD (with the neat boxes) but that was scheduled 4 days a week (one day blank for co-op or field trips), started with SOTW, had devotions scheduled daily, a better Science, etc... I already use my own LA and Math. We may still use Beyond this next year as DD enjoys it (but she does well with anything). Please let me know if how to make those neat HOD boxes on the computer. I would love to see your plans and am interested in knowing what other resources you are using.

Ok....so how the Heck does one plan on HST+.??? This program has driven me completely batty for years. I sit and enter, enter, enter...then get sick of it and just use it for attendance! :confused:

Don't mean to hijack......but I am really curious how you got this thing to work!

Here is how I use HST+ for SOTW.

First I enter in all the chapters (use copy) as reading assignments then I enter in all the map/narration exercises for the whole lot. I find it easiest to manually enter in the intro chapter then start using the copy function from Chapter 1 onwards.

I put the core books eg Kingfisher, Usborne books, in for each chapter and at first only put "see Activity Guide" as the Lesson/page number bit. I enter the details usually as I submit them to the assignment grid.

Once I have all the chapters in then I go through and separate them out a bit if necessary to give a sequence number per section of a chapter. Do this by selecting everything after the bit where you want to add in more lessons and increase sequence number by 5 or 10 to give you room to manoeuvre for the extra bits like a day that has only the extra reading on it, or a day for the activity.

Once I have added in the extra days for bigger chapters or the extra days for read alouds I then reset the sequence numbers starting from 1 to whatever incrementing by 1.

Not all of the details have been added but I at least have an idea now of how many days/sequence numbers I have to fit into my year. Without actually submitting the lesson plans I play around with my year using the "Use the following days and times" section to decide whether I need to do history 3 times a week/ 5 times a fortnight or whatever so that it gets finished by the end of the year.

I only actually submit the lessons on a week by week basis, adding in the details for the Kingfisher and Usborne books, activities and the extra readers as we do them. Because I pull out the AG to do the narration questions I look at the same time for the pages we need to read from the other reference books. I try to skim through at the beginning of each week for an activity that we will be able to fit in that week.

I have attached my first 15 days worth of Ancient History as a PDF file. From this you may be able to see how I do things.

Best wishes

Jen in Oz

SOTW Plan for HST.zip

SOTW Plan for HST.zip

I always thought the AG was the plan. I'm on my second trip through SOTW and have always just done the next thing. We read a subchapter, do the questions and narrations. One whatever is the last subchapter day we also do the mapwork and the colouring page. If I happened to get to the library that week we also have a read outloud that gets read at bedtime until it is done. If I don't get to the library we don't have a read outloud. No biggie. Some weeks we do a project and some weeks we don't. It depends on if we have time and if I can easily wrangle the materials. No big deal if we don't.

I am a planner. There are lots of subjects I have to plan. Using SOTW with the AG means that history takes care of itself. That is part of why I freaked out so much when DS1 became a 5th grader. It felt like I was heading into uncharted territory. Suddenly, I had to WORK at history, whereas before all the work was done for me.

I always thought the AG was the plan. I'm on my second trip through SOTW and have always just done the next thing. We read a subchapter, do the questions and narrations. One whatever is the last subchapter day we also do the mapwork and the colouring page. If I happened to get to the library that week we also have a read outloud that gets read at bedtime until it is done. If I don't get to the library we don't have a read outloud. No biggie. Some weeks we do a project and some weeks we don't. It depends on if we have time and if I can easily wrangle the materials. No big deal if we don't.

I am a planner. There are lots of subjects I have to plan. Using SOTW with the AG means that history takes care of itself. That is part of why I freaked out so much when DS1 became a 5th grader. It felt like I was heading into uncharted territory. Suddenly, I had to WORK at history, whereas before all the work was done for me.

the OP here. I think I have been just overthinking things. I see the booklist and I don't want to pick, I want to do them all. I somehow feel like I'm missing out (or my kids) if I don't do it ALL!!!! I'm just being silly. I think that I'm over it now. LOL!!!! But, this thread has been GREAT for me!

• 1 month later...
YES! I totally get this!!!!:tongue_smilie:

This must be a HOD user hangup!! ;) LHFHG was a great K overview of History. I love HOD but I've had my heart set on studying Ancients this next year. I have been spoiled by the HOD schedule, but found that it wasn't exactly what I wanted in each subject, but it was great in other ways. I kept telling my husband that I should write my own plans like HOD (with the neat boxes) but that was scheduled 4 days a week (one day blank for co-op or field trips), started with SOTW, had devotions scheduled daily, a better Science, etc... I already use my own LA and Math. We may still use Beyond this next year as DD enjoys it (but she does well with anything). Please let me know if how to make those neat HOD boxes on the computer. I would love to see your plans and am interested in knowing what other resources you are using.

We are doing Sotw 1 with a kinder and I'd love to see what other people's plans are! It's our first year of hs and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with all the planning. Found this thread via search and would love to see Schedules!

I used Biblioplan this year which schedules SOTW with additional readers. It didn't follow the order of the book or give references to the AG. I just looked through the AG myself and decided what I wanted to do for each chapter.

:iagree: This is what we did. Dd (11) loves the BP maps and worksheets.

That's kind of how it seems to go with homeschool schedules, isn't it?

The year I was most successful with SOTW was when I had a file folder system. I don't know if that would be helpful for you, or just more trouble.

What I did was decide which days we'd be doing what part of the history routine. So for example on Monday during history time we'd read the assigned chapter(s), go through the comprehension questions from the activity guide, and do their narrations (although that year I had the little one doing a minibook for a lapbook for each chapter, and the quizzes, instead of actual narration, but that's a longer story involving balance and accommodations for learning disabilities). Then on Wednesday we'd read the corresponding pages from the history encyclopedias (little one used Usborne, big one used Kingfisher), made notebook pages, and put up timeline figures. Then on Friday we would do an activity from the guide. But you could split up the work differently so you were doing history every day if you wanted. I've just found that we seem to manage better if we do history OR science in a day, but not both on the same day.

Anyway, after deciding that rough outline of how the schedule would work for history, I got a file box and a stack of file folders and numbered the folders 1 through 36, one for each week. Then I figured out which chapters would be assigned to which weeks (you could also just do a folder for each chapter instead of a folder for each week, and then just move on to the next chapter when you finish the one you're on). Inside each folder I put as much of what I would need to do history that week as possible. I don't remember exactly what was in there that year, but if I were doing it now I'd probably want to include:

• A print-out or copy of the comprehension questions from the activity guide for that chapter.
  • A copy of the corresponding coloring page from the student pages for each student. Sometimes I'd encourage the kids to color while I read the chapter to them, other times we'd just color them on notebook page day, or just skip them altogether. If they're in the file I can choose to use them or skip them; if they are not in the file they never seem to happen.
  • A short list of library books I want to add from the literature list in the activity guide (if you're feeling super ambitious and your library has online access you can look in advance to see if they have the books you want, and even write down the call numbers).
  • Dates to add to the timeline, and/or relevant timeline figures. (You can always add more later if you or your kids find something else that "needs" to be on the timeline, but this way you've at least got the basics covered.)
  • A copy of the chapter test for any students you're using them with.
  • Any pre-designed notebook pages you want to use, or blank paper for notebook pages and/or narration. Also the printed, and possibly cut-out lapbook minibooks if you're using those.
  • A sticky note stuck to the inside front of the file for each child with the history encyclopedia page assignment for that chapter, as noted in the activity guide. Then each week I would stick this on the front of the book so they would know what to read. They do better with sticky notes than checklists for some reason. If your kids are more check-box oriented you could print out whichever one of those schedules you've been looking at that comes closest to what you want, and put those in instead--you could cut the schedule into one-week strips if there are multiple weeks per page. You could do the same thing with assigned historical fiction book reading.
  • A copy of the instructions for the activity I want us to do, along with any materials that will reasonably fit in the file folder. I would also make a list of materials that are NOT in the folder, and I would place that in the PREVIOUS week's folder so that I know what I will need for next week and can gather supplies ahead of time instead of running around at the last minute.

You get the idea. So then, each week during history time I would grab my folder and go. I liked it even better than having all the assignments laid out in a chart for me, because not only did I know which pages they were supposed to be doing, the items I needed were right there in my hand. And if (when) something unexpected happened and our schedule got all shuffled around, the prep work had still already been done. I could easily look in my file and say, ok, we've only got two days for history this week, so we're skipping the coloring page, and if I have to choose between a history activity and a science activity, the science activity this week is more interesting so we'll skip the history one, and we'll just do the notebook page and not the test this week--or whatever. On a really bad week I could just say, well we'll read the chapter, we'll stick the timeline figures on, and we're skipping everything else and starting fresh with the next chapter next week--and I'd still know where I was, and what I was "supposed" to be doing.

I actually had my weekly science stuff in there too, but I think if I were to do it again (our school arrangements changed the next year--this past year--and I decided to try a different arrangement; I'm seriously considering going back to the folders for next year) I'd have separate files for each subject in case we got off schedule in one but not the other. But whatever floats your boat. This arrangement seems to work really well for "content" subjects. For "skill" subjects, like math and grammar, we just do whatever lesson is next, and work through at whatever pace we wind up going. With my particular kids it's really hard to predict what that might be.

Anyway, I hope something in there is helpful. :)

MamaSheep thank you for taking the time to post this! The initial time investment for this will pay off HUGE in our house. Thank you thank you thank you! This is getting done tonight! The only thing I am going to add is a a list of titles to look for in the library to add to the previous weeks' folder. :thumbup:

:iagree::iagree: This is us. We read the book, look at the questions, do mapwork and narrations. I note what books she recommends, but mostly just see what the library has available on the topic at hand. I get those out and the next history day we read them. Then, if we have time, we do the project on another day. Sometimes we linger on a chapter, sometimes we don't.

Now 5th grade...that's a whole 'NOTHER story.....:001_huh::tongue_smilie:

• 2 weeks later...
:iagree::iagree: This is us. We read the book, look at the questions, do mapwork and narrations. I note what books she recommends, but mostly just see what the library has available on the topic at hand. I get those out and the next history day we read them. Then, if we have time, we do the project on another day. Sometimes we linger on a chapter, sometimes we don't.

Now 5th grade...that's a whole 'NOTHER story.....:001_huh::tongue_smilie:

Same with us. What I found is that other peoples "plans" were just schedules and THEIR choices for which books to read and which projects to do. I didn't want to follow someone else's kid's plan, I wanted to tailor one to my kid. So I ended up tweaking anyway.

I loved just going thru SOTW week by week, picking which read aloud looked good, which project I thought was reasonable, and fitting that into either a grid (one year I didi this) or just a line in a notebook (2 years). We nearly always did the coloring page (starting the second year), I did one narration a week with a notebook page (one year we used a format, the next 2 years we just used a page that had a blank top and lines on the bottom), and we usually did a project or two.

It's probably different with 7 kiddos all to get history done. I only had one doing SOTW. But I do think you really only need to have a "time template" or a structure of what "catagory" of work you do each history day (Mon, read/color/narrate/start read aloud; Tues, finish reading chapter/map/read aloud;Weds read aloud/project--for example) and pick your projects and books. If something isn't available, SKIP IT. It's just grammar-level history.

I HATE PLANNING!!!

I started a thread last week about lesson plans for SOTW and got some really great helps. Although some are soooo tempting none of them are EXACTLY what I want. I have downloaded at least 6 different lesson plans!

You have to understand that I was a Sonlight user for years. I LOVED the IGs. I really liked having my week laid out for me and I had confindence in knowing that everything was planned out. My kiddos wanted more activities, however, and I found myself saying that I didn't have time for any because there was sooooo much reading to do.

So what I want are weekly lesson plans using SOTW Vol. 1 as the main spine with one of the other books that are linked to it in the Activity Guides. I want the plans to include Activities from the Activity guide lined up for me. I have this vision of weekly scheduled pages with the read alouds that are listed in the activity guides along with maybe a few other great literary picks. I can see a completed notebook using the activity guide pages at the end of the year. I think it also might be cool to turn the student pages into a spiral bound "workbook" at the beginning of the year.

Every schedule seems to have SOTW scheduled with a diff. history or something. They all have aspects that I love, like one has the activities lined up for you. One has comprehension questions and vocabulary all there for you with the answers. One has scheduled just SOTW and one of the Usborne books (what I want) but doesn't use the activity guide.

I know, I know, I should just plan my own schedule, but I have 7 kiddos including a 2 month old who nurses constantly! Can't someone just read my mind and write it for me?????:tongue_smilie:

Doubtful that you will find exactly what your looking for. I had a similar experience with STOW so I switched to another program only to realize how much I did like STOW. But *I* had to figure out how to make it work for my family. I think you will have to do the same that may mean breaking it down into smaller chunks so you are better able to plan the lessons along with the actvities.

• 10 months later...

Alright, I've done SOTW 1 in Sonlight format and I'd be happy to share it with you, with the caveats that we went slowly, did not cover the whole book in 36 weeks (but we were close), and the additional reading/books that I pulled from the AG are those that were available in my library. My plans also have the science & science materials we were using at the time included, so you'd have to ignore those rows.

I'd be interested in this also. I'm like OP. I'm moving from many years of Sonlight to SOTW. I really liked having it all layer out for me.