Menu

Opinions wanted on Sleep Number Beds

My husband loves it. I hate it. Warning: the wonderful warranty they have is cr@p. By the time you pay the shipping both ways, take the % they do cover, and realize that the foam portions are not only not included, but not expected to last more than 3 years; it is not as good a deal as a regular mattress. The customer service gives good lip service, but delivers nothing else. And, they have no idea what they are talking about most of the time. I have spent hours and hours on the phone with them.

The one plus is that he can sleep on a rock while I am on a cloud. Unfortunately, that cloud turned into a hammock that holds no air after 5 years. :Sigh: It is very likely that we will try a cheaper brand of air bed. I just don't understand why dh thinks memory foam mattresses are so uncomfortable. I think they are pure perfection!:tongue_smilie:

We have two. We bought the California King size that fits in dh's beloved waterbed frame perfectly and it was nice until I realized I needed my feet elevated at night to help with my back. We have had zero problems with the first one so we looked into getting one with an adjustable base to use as a daybed type thing in the living room. I got a twin xl with the adjustable base and the massage feature and a gel foam insert mattress pad.

I have slept through the night and not in pain for the first time in years. The set up was prompt and I emailed them with a question and they've already noticed me they would send someone out to take a look.

We love ours. The nice thing is that because it is air inflated it won't change over time.

We had a very positive experience with the warranty. Our corded remote's display went out and they replaced the motor and gave us a noncorded remote. I don't think I had to pay anything, although I did have to send the old remote and motor back to them (can't remember if I paid for that). I was super impressed.

We got the absolute cheapest one, doesn't bend up and down, has one measly layer of padding because I have a hard time finding sheets that work with pillow tops. For sleep this is great, but for sitting up and reading it can be tough on your sitting spot since all the weight goes there and the air fights back vs. when you are spread out.

My dh wants a sleep number bed. He has a bad back and hasn't been sleeping well for a very long time. We are used to a king size bed. He likes the idea of the ones that can raise the head or feet. This is a very expensive bed! Any one have one like this? Any opinions?

Dh sent me on a mission a week ago to test every type of bed: TempurPedic, Sleep Number, Intelligel, etc. I'm very pregnant and have been complaining about our current bed for awhile. :tongue_smilie: Sleep Number was the least comfortable to me. It felt like I was on a cheap air mattress with some foam thrown on top. No matter what number I chose, I did not feel properly supported. It felt like a waterbed. I hate waterbeds. They make my back hurt.

My in-laws bought one fairly recently and they like it. They also like waterbeds and had a waterbed for 20 years.

What I liked the best and ended up ordering is a My Side. Intelligel was the second-most comfortable, followed by TempurPedic. http://www.mysidebeds.com/

Edited by Veritaserum

OK, I read a few posts and I was ready to order a Sleep Number bed. :thumbup:

Then, I read a few more and decided that I never, ever want one. :ack2:

But then, a few posts later, I was starting to come around again. :thumbup:

Then, BOOM! I was right back to never wanting one. :ack2:

Come on, people -- work with me a little! :D

I mean, this isn't even my thread, so I really have no right to complain, but we do need a new bed, and I sort of wanted a Tempur-Pedic (or perhaps even a Bob-o-Pedic, because the name is funnier and apparently it's way cheaper,) and my dh is thinking of the Sleep Number thing.

When I opened the thread, I was just going to ask if the air compressor thingie is noisy, or if anyone's bed had ever burst into flames, but now I'm stuck on the whole comfortable/uncomfortable argument.

If it's so incredibly adjustable, shouldn't it be comfortable for everyone?

Yes. Yes, it should.

And Lindsay Wagner says it is, although I think she might be bionic, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I hate buying mattresses. :glare:

When ds was in the nicu they had sleep number beds in the Ronald McDonald quarters in the hospital. I had gone through a horrific pregnancy, a terrible three hour surgery (lots of scar tissue and I hemorrhaged) for him to be delivered, I was unbelievably sore. The bed was really comfortable. I would buy one if we didn't already have a pretty decent bed. :lol:

Before we bought our sleep number bed, we tried out a lot of mattresses. We lay on a sleep number bed and played with the controls to see if it was comfortable to us. We tried a temperpedic mattress. I found that too hot for me and not as comfortable. Our sleep number came with a 30 day trial. I know it would be somewhat of a pain to return it but you wouldn't be stuck with a bed you hated.

We like ours. It helped my husband's hip. We've had it for going on seven years now. We bought ours through some sort of factory outlet sale they had. They sent a flier about it to someone who had purchased a bed before. We've had only one difficulty with it when one of the sides seemed to be losing air. I called customer service and they went through a troubleshooting procedure with me. They ended up sending new valves for the tubes, which fixed the problem. If you do get one, I recommend purchasing either sheets made for very deep mattresses, or buying the Sleep Number sheets (preferably on sale—they're expensive).

For comparison, if you've slept on a hotel Sleep Number bed, they tend to be the lower level Sleep Numbers. My parents tried one at a Radisson and thought it was terrible, but when I looked at which Sleep Number it was, it was the very basic model.

Erica in OR

I used one at a hotel and hated it. It felt like a fancy air mattress. We have a Tempuredic and it as amazing. Worth every penny.

:iagree:

We stayed in a hotel for a week in part to test the sleep number bed. We all hated it!!! It felt like we were on air mattresses. I would not pay good money for that! I really wanted to like it!

When I opened the thread, I was just going to ask if the air compressor thingie is noisy, or if anyone's bed had ever burst into flames, but now I'm stuck on the whole comfortable/uncomfortable argument.

Let me answer this first. Remember I bought the absolutely cheapest one. It is loud when you fill up the air, very quiet when you let it out. BUT we very rarely have to fill it up at most every couple of months.

If it's so incredibly adjustable, shouldn't it be comfortable for everyone?

Yes. Yes, it should.

And Lindsay Wagner says it is, although I think she might be bionic, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I hate buying mattresses. :glare:

This is psychology! Anyone who has bought this $$$ of a mattress has to be SURE theirs is best to ensure their mind they made the right decision. Try them out yourself and make your own pick. In six months you'll be here, too. :D

We had the basic one and my dh and I both hated it. We usually start out the night cuddled up in the middle of the bed before rolling over to our own sides. With the basic Sleep Number bed it was like rolling into a ditch in the middle of the bed and hard to get out of. If we didn't stay on our own sides it was miserable. We sold it to friends who love it.

Mary

I hate ours. At first I thought I liked it but it doesn't really feel like the difference between a firm mattress with the number high and a cloud with the number low. It is the difference between a rock and a saggy old mattress. My back kills me when I sleep on it. I was sleeping in a different room but after having my dad live with us for a while I put my queen sized bed next to the queen sized bed DH sleeps in (the #) bed. We have this huge bed island! hehehehe.

I am actually thinking of getting a temporpedic bed.

If you are thinking of a # bed, ask about the refurbished ones. That is what we got at a fraction of the price.