Menu

What's the easiest to teach science curriculum?

This is for 3rd/4th grade level. Kids have had very little formal science.

I am NOT a sciencey person. I appreciate the value of science, but it doesn't fill my heart with joy.

I need open-and-go, easy to teach, bonus points if it's lightly scripted (though scripting isn't essential).

Video-based would be delightful.

Prefer secular worldview, but Christian worldview is fine, too. (I'm a Christian, but not of the strict, young earth, six literal days variety)

Any ideas???

Try Galore Park. It's secular, solid, and is very easy to teach. I haven't even had to buy the answer key for the level we are using (Jr 2). You can add science kits if you want more hands-on stuff, though they have an experiment for every chapter, and there are 8 or 10 chapters in the level we are using.

A couple suggestions:

Discover and Do Science from Sonlight -- with DVD and science kit. Although I haven't had experience with this program for grades 3-4, we used it for grade 1 and my kids still get a kick out of watching the video on occasion. We found it to be completely secular for grade 1, but you might want to check out whether that is the case for higher grades.

Science Fusion for Homeschoolers. From what I understand, this comes with interactive online content, as well as a write-in worktext for the student, and a teacher's guide.

For extra science kits to go with Science Fusion, we love Delta's Science in a Nutshell kits. They come with enough materials for up to three students, and are the most complete science kits I've come across.

I would recommend Nancy Larson science. Everything you need comes in the kit and each lesson is laid out for you, including scripting. My daughter has really enjoyed it. They have a Level 3 course available, and maybe even a Level 4 coming out this summer. The customer service is excellent and, if you ask them, they will provide a list of complementary literature you could use that corresponds with each lesson.

Try out "Mr. Q Science"

http://eequalsmcq.com/

It's free for the first unit. Even if you skip the labs it's better then doing nothing.

You can even get the audio version here:

http://www.traximages.ca/~inge/mrq/

I 2nd This program suggestion. I use it and it is very easy to implement. Real Science Odyssey also looks like a really solid program. I have my eye on the Earth and Space unitl. I just wish they had options for older grades.

I tried RS4kids. It was fun but but did take some time to get all the materials together and was a little more time consuming than MR. Q. I especially like the idea that the worksheets are included right after the readings.

I would recommend Nancy Larson science. Everything you need comes in the kit and each lesson is laid out for you, including scripting. My daughter has really enjoyed it. They have a Level 3 course available, and maybe even a Level 4 coming out this summer. The customer service is excellent and, if you ask them, they will provide a list of complementary literature you could use that corresponds with each lesson.

:iagree:

AHA Science is great for 3rd-5th graders. 90% online cost is around $15 per year. They watch/listen to animated clips then have games and such. There are 36 (I think) different topics. You could do 1 per week. There are some easy labs and journal assignments that go along with the topics. Set up is a bit confusing. I called the sales reps and they were very helpful. For the older child you could try Plato Science.

Nancy Larson Science has been great here. My girls love it and look forward to it. Madon, at NL is very helpful in picking a level. Level 4 is coming out soon. We had not done much science at all and we did level 2 with 4th graders and although the worksheets were easy (though my girls never said they were) we learned a lot and they retained much!

Elemental science. We used this this year, and it's the first year we've kept up with science for the whole year. It's truly open and go.

??? I am surprised to see these recommendations for ES, because to me, the program seemed kind of "all over the place." Readings are spread over multiple books, parents have a guide to what you're doing on any given day that corresponds to student pages in a different book. To me, all these pieces felt somewhat incoherent, and we ended up not using the curriculum at all. Strange that others would say it's open-and-go - funny how it works so well for some and not at all for others. :-)

Try Galore Park. It's secular, solid, and is very easy to teach. I haven't even had to buy the answer key for the level we are using (Jr 2). You can add science kits if you want more hands-on stuff, though they have an experiment for every chapter, and there are 8 or 10 chapters in the level we are using.

we like this too!

Didn't read all the responses but...

We have tried several different options. I'm not science-y at all either. I'm of the "well, let's PRETEND we did this experiment. What do you THINK would happen?" variety. :D

My oldest son is not of the read and then answer questions or do a workbook page variety.

We tried CGC but it was too teacher intensive. CKE I liked (and will be using with youngers), but it was too read-and-regurgitate for my oldest. Same with God's Design, only it was worse because the lessons were longer. We DID enjoy some of the Media Angels unit studies... mostly the Creation Science one, which is VERY "young earth and 6 literal days." ;)

What has finally worked for us is SOS. He can click, and play games, and re-do, and watch the little professor dude perform experiments, and apparently the end of lesson quizzes aren't workbook-like enough to bother him. He loves it and is actually RETAINING the information, partly I'm sure because he can go at his own pace. Loving it! It's likely what we'll use through high school, especially since the ones we're being given will take us into HS some. :)

Abeka.

I haven't seen any YE yet and I've used 5 levels. They are inexpensive (about 30 for the Science and Health books!). And you can get kits from HST for about $40 depending on the level. Thats $70 for Science and health including easy to do experiments and...you can pass the books down or sell them for an excellent resale value when you are finished.

Doing Science 2x per week will get it done in one year. There are colorful graphics and illustrations and the text is readable and interesting.

We have Nancy Larson this year and I was so excited to get it. Dd was just *begging* me the other night to please, please, please quit it. We will be switching to RSO Life with the kit from Home Science Tools.....we might even start it this summer.

A couple suggestions:

Discover and Do Science from Sonlight -- with DVD and science kit. Although I haven't had experience with this program for grades 3-4, we used it for grade 1 and my kids still get a kick out of watching the video on occasion. We found it to be completely secular for grade 1, but you might want to check out whether that is the case for higher grades.

Science Fusion for Homeschoolers. From what I understand, this comes with interactive online content, as well as a write-in worktext for the student, and a teacher's guide.

For extra science kits to go with Science Fusion, we love Delta's Science in a Nutshell kits. They come with enough materials for up to three students, and are the most complete science kits I've come across.

Where are the science kits for these dvd's? Can you give a link? I just searched Sonlight again, but I find their search a bit confusing.

??? I am surprised to see these recommendations for ES, because to me, the program seemed kind of "all over the place." Readings are spread over multiple books, parents have a guide to what you're doing on any given day that corresponds to student pages in a different book. To me, all these pieces felt somewhat incoherent, and we ended up not using the curriculum at all. Strange that others would say it's open-and-go - funny how it works so well for some and not at all for others. :-)

Same for Nancy Larson. :tongue_smilie: Although, I'm sure this could be said about everything.

We've used www.lessonpathways.com for our science. It's free so you can't beat the price.

I've never heard of this site. It looks great! Thanks for mentioning it!

Abeka.

I haven't seen any YE yet and I've used 5 levels. They are inexpensive (about 30 for the Science and Health books!). And you can get kits from HST for about $40 depending on the level. Thats $70 for Science and health including easy to do experiments and...you can pass the books down or sell them for an excellent resale value when you are finished.

Doing Science 2x per week will get it done in one year. There are colorful graphics and illustrations and the text is readable and interesting.

:iagree::iagree:Abeka is the one elementary science curricula I can actually get done consistently. My kids (grades 2-6) tend to prefer it over others. As Calming Tea says, the texts are colorful and engaging. I didn't need to buy the science kits as nearly all the items for experiments are around the house or simple to obtain.

So, for those of you who like RSO, it looks like all I need to purchase is the Text and not the separate Student Pages, since these are included in the Text? Is this correct? At first, I thought, wow, $30 + $47 but as I look at it more closely, maybe I just need to buy the Text and the Kit...

Anyone know this for sure?

Thanks!

So, for those of you who like RSO, it looks like all I need to purchase is the Text and not the separate Student Pages, since these are included in the Text? Is this correct? At first, I thought, wow, $30 + $47 but as I look at it more closely, maybe I just need to buy the Text and the Kit...

Anyone know this for sure?

Thanks!

The student pages are for an extra student...they are already included in this. You don't *need* the kit, because most of the stuff you should be able to get or you may already have...but it is nice to just have a box delivered to you with all of it in there already.

I second Aha! Science. My 8yo dd had little to no science experience. This has given her a nice overview of different topics, and who can beat $15 a year? It took me a few days to figure out the site, although the tutorial videos answered all my questions. I love that there's no grading. All I have to do is check the site to see that she completed the assignment and passed the tests. We do experiment kits on occasion when I want to do it.

The student pages are for an extra student...they are already included in this. You don't *need* the kit, because most of the stuff you should be able to get or you may already have...but it is nice to just have a box delivered to you with all of it in there already.

That's what I thought...thanks for the information.

I did order the kit, although I never have in the past, because my ds is so excited and I want to make sure we do it all. I've put together the supplies needed over the summer many times but some of the items for this looked like they would be found somewhere other than at Walmart, so I relented and paid the $$... :glare:

I hope it's worth it!

Thanks again.

Where are the science kits for these dvd's? Can you give a link? I just searched Sonlight again, but I find their search a bit confusing.

Here's a link to the non-consumable kit. And then, for their consumable kits, you need to go to the science section and click on the level of science you want. For example, for Science level "D", you would find the Science "D" kit here. Scroll down, and you'll see "Science Supplies, Kit D". HTH.

Elemental Science (logic stage biology for 5th & 3rd) has been the fix for the problem you desribed, OP, in my homeschool. I find it easy to use because it's all planned out, scripted, and I don't have to add WTM assignments to it because it incorporates them. I did have to read all the information at the beginning of the TM to get familiar with how it works & the layout but it's not intense at all. Instructions are clear & in a step-by-step format.

Has anyone mentioned Aha!Science? I paid $15 last weekend for the entire year, watched a few episodes with DD, and thought it was quite great. It feels like a couple of steps up from Magic School Bus minus the fun characters. If I had the time, I would even try to match the episodes with BFSU, but I can already see that won't be happening.

ETA: I don't think there are enough episodes for a full year, and the program would in fact be more of a supplement, more like introducing a topic and having the child explore the sub-topics more in-depth with books and experiments.

Edited by crazyforlatin