Menu

s/o PBS shows

Does anyone else here have a child who still likes to watch these shows ene though their child is almost 10? I'm not complaining because there are worse things she could be watching. My DH, though, thinks the shows are too babyish for her. He's right on one level, but I don't see any harm in her watching them. Now, this isn't a daily habit, but she will sometimes choose to watch PBS after school.

My oldest is 8, but she still likes the shows. I know that a lot of kids her age are watching the "tween" Disney shows....but mine still loves Caillou, Jake and The Never Land Pirates, Doc McStuffins, Clifford, Curious George, and the likes!

I see no problems with it....actually I prefer it.

DS is ten and has never watched PBS.

But... we still have DVDs of "babyish" shows, such as Max and Ruby and Dora that he doesn't want to part with. He will pull them out to watch - typically between Star Wars and Harry Potter DVDs. :lol: I think it is very typical for children to want that "comfort" or reminder of "their younger days." (Even though their younger days were just a year or two or three ago. ;))

DS still has a board book that he won't part with and he often pulls it out and reads. It is just the simple book, "Who hops?" Lots of repetition. DS reads at an adult level. But he loves to read the book and giggle about how much excitement he would get out of the book when, in his words, he was a baby. It cracks me up to see him with this book today.

I do think some children - especially homeschooled children - may retain that 'youthfulness' longer, as there isn't the peer pressure to grow up faster. I don't see anything wrong with that.

dd will be 10 in August, and she likes the pbs shows, nickjr shows, and disneyjr shows. She even picks those same types when we pick up something from redbox or on netflix, sometimes.

My dd will be 10 in August too. Sounds like your daughter and mine might have a lot in common.

My DD actually watches more of the "preschool" shows now than she did when she was a preschooler. I think then she had kids telling her that she was too old to like that stuff-and now she doesn't, so she's perfectly happy with the little kid ones. And I'm just as happy, too. Doc McStuffins is the current favorite around here. Mostly because DD has just as active of a play life with HER assorted stuffed toys, I think :).

My almost 13 year old is sitting here watching Magic School Bus. He didn't choose it, and he is watching with his 9 and 8 year old siblings, but he isn't complaining either.

I'd rather have him watch that sort of thing (or others mentioned here) than the MTV and adult themed Prime Time shows many of his peers are watching. I have a friend who let her 8 year old girls watch CSI, then she was humiliated when they were caught explaining pole dancing to their peers and another mother let them have it. Well.....

My 7 yos will do a few of them... but they won't sit and watch Curious George, Sid, Clifford, Super Why, Word World, Sesame Street, or any of the others aimed at young kids. They don't even really like Arthur or Electric Company much anymore and that's aimed right at their age.

Fetch (sigh, canceled, sigh), Word Girl, Arthur, and Wild Kratts are the shows that are clearly aimed at the 6-10 yo crowd.

Like I said in the other thread, though, I wish PBS would do more shows for this older elementary crowd. There's such an insane amount of programming for preschool and kindergarten now that's educational and such a comparative dearth for elementary age kids. While preschoolers get to choose from new programming all the time, elementary age kids are still watching old Bill Nye, Magic School Bus and Liberty's Kids. Not that those aren't great, it would just be nice to see there be more gems like that.

Shall I tell you how many teenagers were crashed in my living room a few weeks ago watching Dora the Explorer and Go Diego Go? No?

Yes - DD11 will happily watch many of the "little kid" shows. My older teens will watch them too, though most of the time they are more likely to watch cartoons like Phineus and Ferb, Justice League, or The Last Airbender.

Watching old shows from your childhood is the TV equivilent of eating comfort foods like Macaroni and Cheese.

I can't imagine what on earth is wrong with a 10 year-old choosing to watch those shows! I don't understand why people have a problem with this kind of stuff (wasn't there a thread not long ago about a kid around the same age being too old to play with toys?)

If the shows were truly too babyish for her, then she would find them boring and wouldn't watch. I really don't see how she would get more out of watching iCarly (and I say this as someone whose child has probably seen every episode of iCarly).

my son is 8. he absolutely loves PBS shows! he has the pbs kids app on his i touch and watches it daily. we've seen every show on netflix (he LOVED electric company). honestly, he still likes barney and caillou, lol...but he says it's a secret or his friends will laugh at him. he also loves spiderman, the hulk, etc. he's easy to please i guess.

Edited by mytwomonkeys

My 11yo still enjoys watching Arthur, Curious George, Wild Kratts. She watches along with her younger sister. You probably wouldn't catch her watching them when her friends are around though - lol. ;)

I remember still enjoying some of the younger kids shows as I got a little older. Even though the kids start to grow out of them, the shows are still fun to watch.

Does anyone else here have a child who still likes to watch these shows ene though their child is almost 10? I'm not complaining because there are worse things she could be watching. My DH, though, thinks the shows are too babyish for her. He's right on one level, but I don't see any harm in her watching them. Now, this isn't a daily habit, but she will sometimes choose to watch PBS after school.

Ummmmm.... all of my children are 10 and over, and they ALL still watch PBS. Actually, they get more out of them now that they understand the science, or whatever. :leaving:

Your dh needs to grow up and find his inner child! My 13 yo dds and I have been watching PBS this week. Mostly Fetch, but one of them got excited when Clifford came on. I'm sure he'd much rather her watch PBS, than the tween Disney stuff. Just sit him down and show him a few episodes of that garbage!

Well, seeing as my college roommate and I watched Arthur darn near every day freshman year, I'm going to go with 10 not being too old. :lol:

Oh, and when my little guy was itty bitty and I was spending many hours nursing on the couch, I may or may not have had a little stash of Magic Schoolbus on my DVR. :)

My son LOVES the Wiggles. He's almost 7. When he asks for it from Netflix, I have learned how to click on it really fast so that he doesn't notice it says "Ages 0-2".

If any kid show is on, my HUSBAND starts staring at it, with his mouth hanging open, the drool starting... Maybe that says a lot about why we avoid screen time in this house. :D

One of the reasons we want to homeschool is to let our kids be kids. I actually feel sorry for my friends whose kids seem so jaded. I'll be glad if my kids are 10 and still want to watch those shows.

My son still records Dinosaur Train, which *wasn't* around when he was little... he discovered it more recently.

Latey he's been more into Boomerang... we've been watching a lot of Tom and Jerry, Wacky Races, Looney Tunes, The Smurfs, and Scooby Doo. He hasn't watched the Disney Channel in months if not years, and I'm perfectly okay with that. I think the "oldies but goodies" never go out of style!!

On a recent afternoon dd woke from napping on the couch to find her brother (17) had come in the room, turned on the tv and was sitting watching Sesame Street. That is not a usual occurrence. ds has been interested in the documentary "Becoming Elmo."

Both dd (14) and ds (17) will join younger ds (10, with disabilities) while younger ds is watching PBS, but other than the instance above they have not tuned in the tv to PBS. The show most watched lately is Wild Kratts. Oldest ds used to watch the live action Kratts Creatures when he was in preschool.

I don't think there's anything wrong with watching.

My 7s and 11 will still watch Curious George, Word Girl, Cyberchase, and the Kratts. They will tune in to Magic Schoolbus on Qubo. I'm not a fan of Electric Company these days - too Disneyesque snarky - but all of them love getting the original, 1970s, DVDs from Netflix. It was clever then. (Though we did have to have some discussion the Morgan Freeman is not a skinny guy with an afro anymore, lol)

They don't watch much at all but, when they do, they either choose those younger "classics" or things like Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett) or Masterpice Mystery (Poirot or Miss Marple).

My children are weird. :)