Menu

S/O my son's appointment at the cardiologist today - hole in heart

Okay - yesterday we were freaking out a bit about my ds who was having chest pain. Everything checked out fine today - xray, echo, EKG, stress test. They told him that his abdominal muscles were so strong that it was hard to get a good read on him. And, that he was in such good shape that it was hard to get his heart rate up enough! So, my kid is an athlete. Of course, none of this went to his head . . . :)

Anyway. He has a hole in his heart. They said it is nothing to worry about. But, a friend, who is a cardiac nurse asked me questions and now I'm nervous. Is this an issue? I have an aunt who had to have a hole corrected at 75 (last week!). Is this something that will cause an issue later?

I'd meet with the cardiologist yourself to ask this question.

My ds has a very small VSD (hole between the ventricles). All the cardiologists have said that it's nothing to worry about and we will never have to do anything about it. As it turns out, ds has some unrelated more serious heart issues. The protocol for his other issues involves regular, annual echos, holter test, an MRI, catheterization, etc. I vaguely recall that before they determined the more serious issues, they might have mentioned some occasional monitoring of the VSD by echo; I don't remember if that was as frequently as annually. But, I believe they did look at it while they were in there for the cath, and I don't expect them to mention it again.

I had a friend in high school who died from a hole in her heart. Not to freak you out! She had an echo done (mandatory for sports players in our school) and they never caught it. She had an uneventful pregnancy and one day when her baby was 3 months old (she was 17), she just...died. The autopsy showed it was from the hole in her heart. So I'm glad your son's was caught!

Did the hole cause the chest pain? Or was it just discovered incidentally because of the chest pain? How freaked out I got would depend a lot on that answer! (Not because I know anything special about that but because I'm sure that is how I would react). I'm glad that you got in to see a cardiologist.

The pain was caused by muscle issues, they think. The cardiologist was able to push on his chest and get pain. She said that was a good sign that it wasn't heart.

We were really lucky to see a cardiologist this fast! We feel very blessed!

I had a friend in high school who died from a hole in her heart. Not to freak you out! She had an echo done (mandatory for sports players in our school) and they never caught it. She had an uneventful pregnancy and one day when her baby was 3 months old (she was 17), she just...died. The autopsy showed it was from the hole in her heart. So I'm glad your son's was caught!

I hope that I can assume that my ds' hole is in a different place than your friends'! I am so sorry for your friend. How terrifying.

And, yes. Now I am nervous all over again.

Jennifer I'm sorry they found anything. I know how anxious you must be. But he did see a cardiologist so don't panic. You can call Monday and get more info. And if he has any more symptoms you have a doctor to take him to. Is he feeling better? Saying a prayer that all is well and you can sleep tonight. :grouphug:

I hope that I can assume that my ds' hole is in a different place than your friends'! I am so sorry for your friend. How terrifying.

And, yes. Now I am nervous all over again.

Take some solace in the fact that your ds will never be pregnant, so he won't have that stress on his heart no matter what! Atrial septal defects run in our family. For most, they don't cause problems until the late 60s or 70s, and these people have all been smokers or lived with smokers. My father was in excellent health until 74,when he started having an irregular heartbeat. They did a heart catheterization, and discovered his ASD. He had done physically demanding work his whole life, been in the Navy, anything was the first he'd heard of it. Shortly after the cath, he threw a clot that resulted in a devastating stroke.

The exact same thing happened to my sister the same year! She was 52.

You need a more technical name, e.g. ostium secundum or ventricular septal defect, etc. "A hole in the heart" is too vague.

:iagree: Yep. You need a real diagnosis. I used to work for a pediatric cardiologist in Denver, and "hole in the heart" means many different things. Some things, like a small ventricular septal defect, are usually harmless and require no treatment, and others definitely require surgery to repair. If the nurse only mentioned it in passing and didn't give your dh any additional info...I'm guessing it's not something they're too worried about. If we saw anything even remotely questionable, the patient did not leave without a full explanation and a follow up appointment scheduled. Did they want to see your son again?

dd11 was born with an atrial septal defect (ASD - hole in heart) -- it closed by itself before she turned two. If it hadn't, it would have been repaired surgically.

You need more info so that you know exactly what is going on.

You know I am praying for you for peace.:grouphug:

How old is your ds? I'm hoping all is well. But my friend, a cardiac nurse, mentioned that they fix holes all the time. Made me nervous!

He is nearly four, two of the holes have healed completely and they expect the other one to also heal. :)

His were VSDs

Edited by Sis

I do agree about getting more information, they should have told you where the hole was and more about it. One doesn't just hear "hole in heart" and not freak.

This link has some diagrams that explain different types

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/H/hole_in_the_heart.html

He has other issues with his heart but the vsds haven't been a concern.

Edited by Sis

:iagree: Yep. You need a real diagnosis. I used to work for a pediatric cardiologist in Denver, and "hole in the heart" means many different things. Some things, like a small ventricular septal defect, are usually harmless and require no treatment, and others definitely require surgery to repair. If the nurse only mentioned it in passing and didn't give your dh any additional info...I'm guessing it's not something they're too worried about. If we saw anything even remotely questionable, the patient did not leave without a full explanation and a follow up appointment scheduled. Did they want to see your son again?

Well, dh took him to the appointment. I should have, but I was too busy - I'd been running around with him ALL day the day before having the initial tests done. I would have asked these questions! Ugh. Men.

I'm going on the assumption that it's one of those holes that it so small it requires no more attention. But, I'll call on Monday and get the full story.

I had an ASD that I found out about when I was pregnant. I had chest pains, thought I was having a heart attack. The ER didn't find anything. After my son was born, I found a cardiologist who took me seriously. He said I just had to keep an eye on it to make sure it didn't get bigger. (he found it with a transesofogeal echocardiogram, TEE for short). He wanted an echo done every 2 years. 6 years later, I moved and changed doctors. This one specialized in holes in hearts (I had no idea that was possible) and said I needed to get it fixed based on my stress test. My oxygen level wasn't high enough and something else was too high during the stress test. He said if I didn't get it fixed, it would shorten my life. He said I should do it within 5 years. I went ahead and had it done at 37 years old. It wasn't open heart because of the location. It was a one night hospital stay, they went up through my groin. I was on blood thinner for 6 months while my heart grew over the patch. HTH

I'd get more details and try to get a second opinion, having another cardiologist look at the same tests. I would ask all kinds of questions about future life activities. Obviously, no one should smoke--what happens if he does. What if decides to seriously pursue athletics (I know a few adult triathletes. Training can be obsessive). Is he permitted to do military service? Adolescent males tend to think they are invincible and tend toward risk taking. Risk taking activities can strain the heart.

I have found some doctors begin to minimize some conditions because they see it all the time and the conditions they are minimizing are less serious compared to others they see. It's like they've forgotten that they don't see the the typical population becauase the typical population doesn't need to see a cardiologist (in my family the doctor who minimized and misadvised was a neurologist).

Did the hole cause the chest pain? Or was it just discovered incidentally because of the chest pain? How freaked out I got would depend a lot on that answer! (Not because I know anything special about that but because I'm sure that is how I would react). I'm glad that you got in to see a cardiologist.

Yes. And I'd make an appointment to get all your questions answered. :grouphug::grouphug:

Yes, call.

Most probably, it is not something to worry about since they checked it out and said don't worry about it :)

But I'd want to know what kind of hole (they have names. For example, I have a PFO).

I'd want to know the size (mine is right under the size that they give it another name).

Some holes are regularly repaired in some countries but aren't as readily repaired in ours.

Jennifer, may I ask what test they gave him that revealed the hole? You said he "passed" his echo. Ds also has had chest pain and was in the hospital about 3 weeks ago for it. They also didn't find anything on the stress echo or regular echo. So how did they find your son's? You can pm me if you want. Thanks.

My son has had cardiac surgery for a PDA. He also has a PFO or ASD depending which Dr reads the echo. It is such a small hole that they will not do anything about it surgically. It is very common to leave very small holes because such a large percentage of the population actually have them. Often it is because the flap that closes over when the baby is born doesn't seal exactly or is t the perfect size. Incidentally a large percentage of people also have slightly leaky tricuspid valves, my son has one too but it's in the 'regular' leakage range so they won't do anything about that either.

Don't stress, but certainly have it clarified when you can.

Doctors have told me a lot of people have holes. They might only show up when the heart is being closely examined for some other reason. So they often aren't a problem (at least, that's what I've been told).

My husband was told he had a hole in his heart just recently. The cardiologists were completely unconcerned. I do hope they know what they're talking about, but the general medical opinion seemed to be to just kind of shrug and get on with life.

Some holes are more concerning than others.

So is this what they think is causing the pain? Or did they just stumble upon it in the process of looking?

Definitely be sure to get all your questions answered, otherwise, you're going to go nuts (if you're anything like me!).

I'm glad to hear that your son is doing well.

Jennifer, may I ask what test they gave him that revealed the hole? You said he "passed" his echo. Ds also has had chest pain and was in the hospital about 3 weeks ago for it. They also didn't find anything on the stress echo or regular echo. So how did they find your son's? You can pm me if you want. Thanks.

Even just listening to the heart can reveal it.

My son was in the NICU for a time after he was born, his murmur was so loud that they had the students on rounds listen to him.

The article I linked above lists the diagnostic procedures. My son only ever had ekgs and echos.

Echocardiography

This test, which is harmless and painless, uses sound waves to create a moving picture of the heart. During echocardiography, ultrasound waves bounce off the structures of the heart, and then a computer converts them into pictures on a video screen. The test allows the doctor to clearly see any problem with the way the heart is formed or the way it's working.

Echocardiography is an important test for diagnosing a hole in the heart and for following the problem over time. This test shows problems with the heart's structure and how the heart is reacting to these problems. Echocardiography helps the cardiologist decide whether and when treatment is needed.

EKG

An EKG (electrocardiogram) detects and records the electrical activity of the heart. This simple and painless test is used to assess the heart rhythm. An EKG shows how fast the heart is beating and whether the heart's rhythm is steady or irregular. It also can detect enlargement of one of the heart's chambers, which can help to diagnose a heart defect.

Chest X-ray

A chest X-ray takes a picture of the heart and lungs. It can show whether the heart is enlarged or whether the lungs have extra blood flow or extra fluid, which can be a sign of heart failure.

Pulse oximetry

Pulse oximetry shows how much oxygen is in the blood. A sensor is placed on the fingertip or toe (like an adhesive bandage). The sensor is attached to a small computer unit, which displays a number that indicates how much oxygen is in the blood.

Cardiac catheterization

During cardiac catheterization, a thin, flexible tube called a catheter is put into a vein in the arm, groin (upper thigh), or neck and threaded to the heart. A dye that can be seen on an X-ray is injected through the catheter into a blood vessel or a chamber of the heart. This allows the doctor to see the flow of blood through the heart and blood vessels on the X-ray image.

Cardiac catheterization also can be used to measure the pressure inside the heart chambers and blood vessels and can determine whether blood is mixing between the two sides of the heart. It's also used to repair some heart defects.

Edited by Sis

I'm glad you spoke to him.

I'd still call Monday too.

Just re-read dh's text. (He's camping with my 11 yo right now or I'd ask him.) He said it was a small hole between ventricles and that 20% of all healthy people have it. No follow-up care necessary.

I'm still calling on Monday.

Ds' echo showed it. Did they ever figure out your ds' pain?

So is this what they think is causing the pain? Or did they just stumble upon it in the process of looking?

Definitely be sure to get all your questions answered, otherwise, you're going to go nuts (if you're anything like me!).

I'm glad to hear that your son is doing well.

I'm actually relieved right now reading everyone's stories. I'm choosing to believe the doctor right now. If I didn't, I'd be nuts!

No. This is not causing the pain. The doctor thinks it's probably muscular and possibly inflammation of his cartilage.

Ds' echo showed it. Did they ever figure out your ds' pain? No, they didn't. I thought you said your ds passed his echo? That's why i asked which test revealed the hole.

I'm actually relieved right now reading everyone's stories. I'm choosing to believe the doctor right now. If I didn't, I'd be nuts!

No. This is not causing the pain. The doctor thinks it's probably muscular and possibly inflammation of his cartilage.

Hope it all works out, and quickly!

Even just listening to the heart can reveal it.

My son was in the NICU for a time after he was born, his murmur was so loud that they had the students on rounds listen to him.

The article I linked above lists the diagnostic procedures. My son only ever had ekgs and echos.

Generally speaking, the louder the murmur, the smaller the hole. And that's a good thing. :)