Menu

"Somebody that I used to know" song lyrics

Okay. Whoever you were who posted the link to "Somebody that I used to know," I'm addicted too.

Listening to the lyrics and reading them, I want to ask other addicts whether the female singer's part makes sense as the "voice" of the woman that the male singer "used to know," or do you think she's a new love who's telling him to take a walk because he's still hung up on "somebody"?

I know. I'm obsessive/compulsive. I NEED to KNOW, though, so humor me.

Okay. Whoever you were who posted the link to "Somebody that I used to know," I'm addicted too.

Listening to the lyrics and reading them, I want to ask other addicts whether the female singer's part makes sense as the "voice" of the woman that the male singer "used to know," or do you think she's a new love who's telling him to take a walk because he's still hung up on "somebody"?

I know. I'm obsessive/compulsive. I NEED to KNOW, though, so humor me.

I haven't thought about it too much, but I thought the female singer was who he was 'talking' to, and that he was just repeating the same relationship mistakes, like a cycle.

It was her rebuttal.

He has been quoted as saying the song is about many past relationships but particularly focused on one. It ended badly, with them hurting each other more than necessary.

It was her rebuttal.

He has been quoted as saying the song is about many past relationships but particularly focused on one. It ended badly, with them hurting each other more than necessary.

The part that cracks me up is how he was 'glad it was over', but then starts whining/shrieking 'But you didn't have to cut me off!! '

Classic cake eater.

Makes me smile every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUTtVY4XkDA

LOVE LOVE LOVE the song!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somebody_That_I_Used_to_Know

The song was produced and written by Gotye in his parents' barn on the Mornington Peninsula, Victoria where it was recorded. The song begins sampling Luiz Bonfá's track "Seville" along with the beats playing and a sparse xylophone solo. Gotye sings, seemingly addressing a past lover, discussing the ways in which he reminisces sometimes, and the nature of love. His voice then leaps an octave for the chorus, in which he expresses distaste at how he was treated "like a stranger" during the breakup, the stronger tone matching the hurt of the sentiment. Kimbra then sings her verse, seemingly in response, declaring that she too felt hurt at her treatment during the relationship, and was "screwed [...] over" yet made to feel it was her fault. Her voice rises in the chorus with a different melody, creating a polyphonic effect, and though harmonious it is almost as if the two voices are in argument, fitting the relationship breakdown theme of the song. After the second chorus, Gotye continues to perform the chorus as the song fades. The song finishes with Gotye and Kimbra both saying 'somebody'.[citation needed]

In an interview, Gotye stated that the song was "definitely drawn from various experiences I've had in relationships breaking up, and in the parts of the more reflective parts of the song, in the aftermath and the memory of those different relationships and what they were and how they broke up and what's going on in everyone's minds. Yeah, so it's an amalgam of different feelings but not completely made up as such."

In an interview with Rolling Stone Australia, he described the song as "a curated reflection of multiple past relationships", but revealed the chorus was directly related to one ex-girlfriend. He stated: "It wasn't a nasty break-up, but it was messy in the sense that we hurt each other more than we needed to because it wasn’t a clean break... We both realised we had to move on and we haven’t seen each other since."[12]

I saw the thread title and got very excited thinking that there was another Elliott Smith fan here, but, alas, that wasn't the case. If you want to listen to a truly great song with the same name, well, ladies and gentlemen, I give you the immortal Elliott Smith:

I saw the thread title and got very excited thinking that there was another Elliott Smith fan here, but, alas, that wasn't the case. If you want to listen to a truly great song with the same name, well, ladies and gentlemen, I give you the immortal Elliott Smith:

Very nice. I like it, though very different from the one in this thread!

:lol: So many people are talking about this Gotye song, and every time I hear it, I get Elliott Smith playing in my head for the rest of the day! You're not alone :D

Actually, Smith's song is closer to the kind of music I usually prefer, but for some reason, this other one is just riveting to my ear. I think it's those almost cacophonous harmonies near the end that pull me in. I like the symbolism of the video as well.

Thanks for the help, folks.

Actually, Smith's song is closer to the kind of music I usually prefer, but for some reason, this other one is just riveting to my ear. I think it's those almost cacophonous harmonies near the end that pull me in. I like the symbolism of the video as well.

Thanks for the help, folks.

My son's favorite part is the way it ends...:)

I'm symbolism challenged....can you tell me what the video is saying?

[Kimbra:]

Now and then I think of all the times you screwed me over

Part of me believing it was always something that I'd done

But I don't wanna live that way

Reading into every word you say

You said that you could let it go

And I wouldn't catch you hung up on somebody that you used to know

Thinking about this I think she is an ex. I'm thinking her mention of "and I wouldn't catch you hung up on somebody that you used to know" is that when they were going out he might have been hung up on someone he used to know. He claims he is not hung up (like nah...he just doesn't get hung up) because "she is just someone he used to know", but clearly he is hung up if he keeps talking about it, continues to think about it, and mentions he is upset she just cut him off (asked friends to collect records and changed her number). He mentions in his part that one can "get addicted to a certain kind of sadness". So this represents the pattern of the intensity of falling in love and breaking up and trying to move on, but that no matter what some of this stays with you, and that there is almost something addictive about those intense parts (both good and bad parts).

Hopefully I'm making sense. :D

Yes, I agree she is definitely an X and she is talking about how he told her he wouldn't be hung up on HER (somebody that he used to know)

He is such a whiner. :D Can't we just pretend like everything is still ok? Even though I'm glad it is over?

I'm symbolism challenged....can you tell me what the video is saying?

I would say: despite his protests, he is the one stuck in the past. She is wiped clean of the past and walks away. He remembers her vividly. She remembers him as part of the background of her past.

Eta: I do have to say that I am a little reminded of Persuasion. Is he right about the way she feels? We don't know because we really only have his side. Which side loves longest after all hope has passed?

I would say: despite his protests, he is the one stuck in the past. She is wiped clean of the past and walks away. He remembers her vividly. She remembers him as part of the background of her past.

:iagree: I find it interesting he is painted in all earth tones and she gets the vibrant green on her. Thinking the green is symbolizing new growth.

Yep - he's definitely a whiner. :D Glad she moved on.

Okay....I have to ask. Does the way he forms his words (in the video - his mouth, not the sounds) bug anyone else? Specifically at the "and that we were nothing" part, and "and then change your number" or when he says "you said that we could still be friends".

It's like he forms an "m" sound when he doesn't need to or something. I'm not the only one that sees it, right?

Okay....I have to ask. Does the way he forms his words (in the video - his mouth, not the sounds) bug anyone else? Specifically at the "and that we were nothing" part, and "and then change your number" or when he says "you said that we could still be friends".

It's like he forms an "m" sound when he doesn't need to or something. I'm not the only one that sees it, right?

No, I totally see that as well. But I've also been having weird issues with Youtube being jumpy and/or not tracking correctly due to buffering or something, so I thought maybe it was just ME! :lol:

I think it's just his accent.

Have you heard some of the early Beatles stuff? There are some similar issues there.

"I never sawr them winging..."

:iagree: I find it interesting he is painted in all earth tones and she gets the vibrant green on her. Thinking the green is symbolizing new growth.

Yep - he's definitely a whiner. :D Glad she moved on.

Interesting! I was thinking green with envy, thus she was the most recent lover, jealous over his being hung up on the old one. Then she sheds the green and walks away. I like your interpretation of the green better than mine. :001_smile:

I have caught that too! I thought he was just singing something that I wasn't hearing (I don't know the lyrics well enough to catch that). It is strange!

Interesting! I was thinking green with envy, thus she was the most recent lover, jealous over his being hung up on the old one. Then she sheds the green and walks away. I like your interpretation of the green better than mine. :001_smile:

Oooo interesting theory! Like this too. :001_smile:

Kids and I just wasted a bunch of time watching Gotye videos. That's educational right? ;-)

Oooo interesting theory! Like this too. :001_smile:

Kids and I just wasted a bunch of time watching Gotye videos. That's educational right? ;-)

Of course it's educational! It's art and music appreciation! :D

Wish mine appreciated it; she's yelling at me from the other room to turn it off as she trying to read. :lol:

But I like the way that Gotye whines. He can whine to me any time. :D

I love the song. The emotions are so clear it is staggering to me.

Eta: I do have to say that I am a little reminded of Persuasion. Is he right about the way she feels? We don't know because we really only have his side. Which side loves longest after all hope has passed?

Ah, yes, I see.

Yeah he sounds a lot like one of my exes. :tongue_smilie: Total jerk...

I have one like that too. He still has this deer in the headlight looks every time he looks at me and dh together. Like, 'what the heck just happened?'

First, the chorus sounds exactly like the Police.

Second, this song is set up like Meatloafs "Paradise by The Dashboard Lights".

He is singing to her. She is giving an excuse. he is ticked and responded back.

I like the song. I think I mentioned in the other thread that someone at my dd dance studio is dancing to it.(Modern)

It is funny that everyone is talking about this song. It has been playing in my house for a few months now. My oldest daughter (16) listens to it all the time. She actually relates to both Gotye's and Kimbra's parts. She was very good friends with a boy for a few years. His family go to our church (very small church,) they participated in the same homeschool activities, etc. They were each other's best friends, which developed into a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship. Over time lots of drama ensued. She was feeling exactly like Kimbra's part.

"Part of me believing it was always something that I'd done

Chaney decided that it would be best for their friendship if they just cooled it a bit, and he told her he understood, and that they would still be friends, but has acted like she was dead ever since. He completely ignores her when they are around each other...even talking though her (as if she is not there) to talk to someone else. It has been extremely hurtful for her.

It is so interesting to see so many people relate to a song...but in different ways.

Chaney decided that it would be best for their friendship if they just cooled it a bit, and he told her he understood, and that they would still be friends, but has acted like she was dead ever since. He completely ignores her when they are around each other...even talking though her (as if she is not there) to talk to someone else. It has been extremely hurtful for her.

And so she learns a major life lesson.....RARELY can you go back to being just friends. Granted he may behaving in the extreme, but for a majority of people a 'rip the bandaid off' approach is the best way to move on.

Even with my divorce when I was 44 I had a period of time that I could not speak or see my X AT ALL for fear of getting sucked back into a bad relationship.

It is so interesting to see so many people relate to a song...but in different ways.

Yep. I love it.

[Kimbra:]

Now and then I think of all the times you screwed me over

Part of me believing it was always something that I'd done

You said that you could let it go

And I wouldn't catch you hung up on somebody that you used to know

Thinking about this I think she is an ex. I'm thinking her mention of "and I wouldn't catch you hung up on somebody that you used to know" is that when they were going out he might have been hung up on someone he used to know. He claims he is not hung up (like nah...he just doesn't get hung up) because "she is just someone he used to know", but clearly he is hung up if he keeps talking about it, continues to think about it, and mentions he is upset she just cut him off (asked friends to collect records and changed her number). He mentions in his part that one can "get addicted to a certain kind of sadness". So this represents the pattern of the intensity of falling in love and breaking up and trying to move on, but that no matter what some of this stays with you, and that there is almost something addictive about those intense parts (both good and bad parts).

Hopefully I'm making sense. :D

or possibly....she is saying "I thought you don't get hung up on people you used to know, but apparently you ARE hung up on me". Maybe he bragged at some point that he doesn't get hung up on old flames because he doesn't need anyone. The kinda tough guy I don't care...I just go with the flow...your not exactly special (but obviously she is)

I hear Kimbra's "I wouldn't want you..." part to be sarcastic, especially since he obviously is hung up on her. She's jettisoned the jerk, and is just like "it's better that you just leave me alone, okay?"

I'm not sure I got that sense in the song, but in the video that was how I read it: her body language and tone is very aggressive right in that part, and she's telling him off with a fake veneer of "this is for your own good. Jerk."

Yep, I wish she was somebody THAT I USED TO KNOW

..i think of all the times you shoved me over....

I will pay good money for video of you wailing, "You didn't have to cut me off!" next time she wings you.

I'm dying here. Hilarious! If we had WTM awards, this would qualify as best crossover posts of the year. :lol:

I agree with most that Kimbra's part is the ex he's referring to. I think one of the more poignant parts of the video is how he winces at her first few lines. He might have been a jerk sometimes, and yeah he's a bit obsessive now, but it's obvious (to me) that he did care.

Ok, here's my shot at interpretation. In the beginning of the video, he is whole, clean and very much center stage although he looks sad. As the first verse progresses it shows him blending into the background of dirty, broken panes of glass, starting with shades of grey and then moving into reds as his anger builds.

His first verse sounds like doesn't really know what love is, that he couldn't fully commit to the relationship and that he was relieved that it was over. Even though he said that she was the one to say we can still be friends, I think that she was the one that realized that they needed to make a clean break and he is hurt and angered by this. I think he was expecting an on-going relationship of some kind and now that he doesn't have that she is just someone that he used to know.

When she shows up she comes out of the background of reds (anger) changing into greens (growth and renewal). Her verse tells us the problems with the relationship and leads us to believe that when she was with him he was still hung up on someone else that he used to know. That single line lets on that this is a cyclical spiral for him. He gets involved in a relationship but can't make it work because he is still caught up in the previous one. Once she says her piece, she is washed clean and whole again while he is still stuck in the background, dirty and broken with his anger and hurt.

See now, I don't see her verse as saying he was hung up on someone else at all. "You said that you could let it go, and I wouldn't catch you hung up on somebody that you used to know" She says those last 5 words with a lot of anger, like she's ticked off at him that he said he could "let go" of the relationship, that going back to being "just friends" would be do-able, and that she wouldn't have to worry about him still wanting to go back into a relationship, but here he is whining about her making a clean break, like obviously he *wasn't* ready to "let go". Her anger in the last 5 words is her repeating back to him how he's been referring to her throughout the song. That he's calling her "someone that he used to know", and yet he still hung up on her.